Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cabbit posted:

Any tier chart that doesn't put psions on the same level as wizards has a tier stratification that is way, way too narrow. The gulf between psion and wizard is so short you could skip over it, compared to actual second tier classes.

I mean, if psions are tier 2, then tier 1 must just be a picture of a wizard stomping on the face of humanity, forever.

Tier 1 and Tier 2 in the common 3.5 usage are almost exactly as powerful, its just one of them is far more versatile. Sorcerers and Psions can do almost all the poo poo Wizards can do, but any given Sorcerer or Psion is permanently limited to a small subset of that while a Wizard can literally change up his entire spell list every day. And know every spell ever invented.

Wizards, Clerics, Druids, Artificers, and Archivists are tier 1 because they can do everything and change up what they can do if they ever happen to run into a situation that requires specific bullshit. Socerers, Psions et al. are going to be more generalized as a rule because they can't adapt day to day which makes them more inflexible and weaker.

Perfect example? That trap Nale set up for Malack. If Zz'drit was a Sorcerer and Dispel Magic wasn't one of his spells known? And considering just how many other good spells there are at that spell level that are useful in more situations? Too loving bad, do not pass go do not collect 200 dollars. As a Wizard though he can tailor his spells every day which is incredibly powerful.

Zore fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Don't worry. You'll keep me safe."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What exactly are the class tiers? I assume fighters are in the lowest?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Nale appears to have fudged the truth with regards to the pyramid - possibly he also fudged the bit about Malack.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I think that is where the psion comes in. And also where Tarquin kills his son.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Affi posted:

I think that is where the psion comes in. And also where Tarquin kills his son.

I think you are right. Nale has failed Tarquin for the last time and Haley is there for 'family business' because Tarquin is settling the issue of inheritance.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pope Guilty posted:

Not really, this link has what I think is the most common definition/list that's floating around. I think it even lists all the base classes from the splatbooks except for some Psionic and Incarnum stuff (which is cool but ridiculously obscure) http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=bc18425e5fa73d30e4a9a54889edf44e&topic=5293

Alchenar posted:

I think you are right. Nale has failed Tarquin for the last time and Haley is there for 'family business' because Tarquin is settling the issue of inheritance.

Oh yeah, Nale is totally screwed here. Though I have a weird feeling that Thog might be popping back up to save him/salvage his corpse if he dies. Something about how he's been unresolved is bothering me.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Alchenar posted:

That can't be everything, though. I don't think Tarquin brought out the entire army to seize the gate, or just to have a dinosaur-riding army help him with a dramatic reveal. I think he's got a different motive for mobilizing this many army mans.

However, this provides an opportunity. Could this be where Elan puts his plan into action and deals with Tarquin once and for all? Or will Tarquin remain a threat going into the next chapter (perhaps his army and evil adventuring party playing a major role in the fight for the last gate)?

I have a feeling that the Order of the Stick is going to end up going through the rift here, though. Then we'll be able to start figuring out what's really going on with the gates. Meanwhile, Nale definitely wants to usurp control of the empire, probably by offing Tarquin. I don't see how he could do it at this point, though, especially with a high level psion right there. And I don't see Burlew killing of Nale just yet.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cabbit posted:

I mean, if psions are tier 2, then tier 1 must just be a picture of a wizard stomping on the face of humanity, forever.
No, there's also a Cleric and Druid (and Artificer and Archivist) there stomping away.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Uranium Phoenix posted:

That can't be everything, though. I don't think Tarquin brought out the entire army to seize the gate, or just to have a dinosaur-riding army help him with a dramatic reveal. I think he's got a different motive for mobilizing this many army mans.

However, this provides an opportunity. Could this be where Elan puts his plan into action and deals with Tarquin once and for all? Or will Tarquin remain a threat going into the next chapter (perhaps his army and evil adventuring party playing a major role in the fight for the last gate)?

I have a feeling that the Order of the Stick is going to end up going through the rift here, though. Then we'll be able to start figuring out what's really going on with the gates. Meanwhile, Nale definitely wants to usurp control of the empire, probably by offing Tarquin. I don't see how he could do it at this point, though, especially with a high level psion right there. And I don't see Burlew killing of Nale just yet.

How many strips is it now that Burlew has maintained this OMGWTFISGONNAHAPPEN tension, while still reeling off big story beats? 12? 13?

I'm betting he spent all that hand-rehab time alternately frowning and giggling as he came up with this stuff.

Edit: and no way Tarquin's story ends here.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Tarquin is probably going to confront Elan about not being the leader and not actually being all that useful in the pyramid fight. After that it's a toss up on how Tarquin decides to motivate Elan to be better attempt to kill all or some of the order or kill Nale. I hope it's Nale because he's a boring midboss that's outlived his niche and Nale dying with his story unresolved and plot hooks dangling would make him a better motivator to Elan and Tarquin should know that.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So psions are different now? I remember reading a psion psourcebook for 2E back when I was a kid and it didn't read as alternative-sorcerors. Instead they had a weird set of powes that weren't covered by other casters. A ton of mental combat stuff, for exwmple, but also mind over matter to give them freaky control over their own bodies, like making themselves stretchy. There was even a very costly body-switching spell. Any of that in 4E psychic stuff?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

I don't see how he could do it at this point, though, especially with a high level psion right there. And I don't see Burlew killing of Nale just yet.

And that's just why it might happen. He hasn't really been the one for predictable storylines, why would he change now? Killing off Durkon, Malack and Z in short order came out of the left field already.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is it possible to take a piece of someone - say, some hair or blood or something - whilst they're alive and keep it safe and use it to resurrect them later if they die?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

MikeJF posted:

Is it possible to take a piece of someone - say, some hair or blood or something - whilst they're alive and keep it safe and use it to resurrect them later if they die?

Resurrection description posted:

the portion receiving the spell must have been part of the creature’s body at the time of death.

Somebody thought of it.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

NihilCredo posted:

Somebody thought of it.

Which is good, because I like my D&D and my Eclipse Phase separate, thank you very much.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Speedball posted:

So psions are different now? I remember reading a psion psourcebook for 2E back when I was a kid and it didn't read as alternative-sorcerors. Instead they had a weird set of powes that weren't covered by other casters. A ton of mental combat stuff, for exwmple, but also mind over matter to give them freaky control over their own bodies, like making themselves stretchy. There was even a very costly body-switching spell. Any of that in 4E psychic stuff?

2e psions were wacky lunatics with powers that barely interacted with the rest of the rules. If you weren't psionic you often had no defense against their abilities at all (so a level 1 psion could dominate, say, an ancient red dragon) and powers didn't have levels.

3e psions had six schools, each one of which was based off of a different primary attribute. Shapers were casters based off of intelligence, nomads were casters based off of dex, and so on. This was terrible because it meant your powers all had different saving throws, but kind of cool in that you could make a troll psion with the ability to double regenerate and grow sword arms or turn his skin to stone.

3.5e were covered.

4e psions brought down the number of PSP from hundreds to maybe a handful, and mostly had encounter powers, which they could situationally improve to daily equivalents by spending a number of recharging power points on use. It was a cool idea, but in practice it meant you'd just use your level 1 powers (with really low power costs) and at higher levels you'd essentially be spamming dailies every round every fight.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

Somebody thought of it.
Quite unexpectedly, considering the usual track record.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I remember being sad that the AD&D 2 Create Water spell specified that you couldn't cause the water to appear inside somebody. Was an instant death spell at level 1 so much to ask?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Maybe Tarquin plans to march through that gate with that army?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Pope Guilty posted:

I remember being sad that the AD&D 2 Create Water spell specified that you couldn't cause the water to appear inside somebody. Was an instant death spell at level 1 so much to ask?

Well, how much water did it conjure? Because if you, say, managed to get your target into a pit deep enough...

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Pope Guilty posted:

Well the obvious thing to do is create the water five kilometers above their head and kill them with a ballistic hailstone, but I expect the spell also has a range limit.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I'm imagining using Create Water with Still Spell in Wizard School to ruin other students' homework.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm imagining using Create Water with Still Spell in Wizard School to ruin other students' homework.

In the abbey. Create Water is a divine spell.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Pope Guilty posted:

There's always prestidigitation to deal with wet homework.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Umbra Dubium posted:

Well the obvious thing to do is create the water five kilometers above their head and kill them with a ballistic hailstone, but I expect the spell also has a range limit.

That trick, plus about 12 scrolls of Wall of Steel was how my group stopped a ratman army once.

Pope Guilty posted:

All I know is that Magneto and Akuma are god tier and Cable isn't much lower.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ikanreed posted:

Psions? Is rich trying to use rules no one knows or cares about now? But seriously, I never really got past core rulebooks, what's the general deal with psions? Mages by another name?

Other people have gone over how Psionics work, but I also wanted to point that Psionics aren't an obscure rule set from a splat book nobody uses, it's considered part of the core rules along with the PHB, DMG, and MM, and is even included in the online SRD.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

The Princess of Verona posted:

Now I will return to my totally sweet throne room and contemplate how bitchin' rad I am. Answer: YES!

I have to wonder if ConfusedUs used this in one of his games or not. It really seems like you would have :)

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

People have their own tiers but the generally accepted list is something like this.

Tier 1: Cleric. Druid, Wizard: Godlike power and more or less able to reshape reality at a whim

Tier 1.5: Sorcerer, Favoured Soul Psion: Nearly as powerful but not quite as flexible.

Tier 2: Bard: Has some flexibility but isn't as powerful as the big boys.

Tier 3: Barbarian, Rogue, Ranger,Warlock: Has a niche where it's pretty drat good but totally outclassed outside that niche.

Tier 4: Fighter, Monk, Paladin: Not totally awful but there are other classes that can do their job better than they can.

Tier 5: Commoner,Warrior,Aristocrat: Dead to the average housecat.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 18, 2013

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Tier 7: Samurai and Truenamer; have niches that their abilities actively work against.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

sansuki posted:

I have to wonder if ConfusedUs used this in one of his games or not. It really seems like you would have :)

Powerful NPCs with inflated egos are a favorite trope of mine, but I don't think I have ever quite used that turn of phrase.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do psions still recover PSPs continuously like they did in 2E? That always seemed like it would be a hassle to track in a pen and paper game. For those who missed the 2E Psionics Handbook,
code:
Table 6: PSIONIC STRENGTH RECOVERY

Physical Activity           PSPs Recovered
Hard exertion*              none
Walking, riding             3/hour (1 every 2 turns)
Sitting, resting, reading   6/hour (1/turn)
Rejuvenating**, sleeping    12/hour (2/turn)

* "Hard exertion" includes fighting, running, digging ditches, walking while
encumbered, climbing a rope, scaling a mountain, exploring a dungeon, swimming,
and any other activity the DM wants to include.
** This refers to use of the psionicist's Rejuvenation proficiency. 

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
^^ 3.X psions had PP as a daily resource, 4e psions have it as an encounter resource. They don't refresh per hour/turn anymore.

Mystic Mongol posted:

4e psions brought down the number of PSP from hundreds to maybe a handful, and mostly had encounter powers, which they could situationally improve to daily equivalents by spending a number of recharging power points on use. It was a cool idea, but in practice it meant you'd just use your level 1 powers (with really low power costs) and at higher levels you'd essentially be spamming dailies every round every fight.

They had at-will powers that they'd boost with PPs to be the equivalent of encounter powers, not encounter powers that acted like dailies. Spamming the equivalent of an encounter power that scales with level is still a problem, though. The psion class was particularly bad, in that 2 of the best spamming powers (one that dropped an enemy's defenses and one that dropped several enemy's attack bonuses) were at first level, meaning that an optimal psion was probably using the same two powers for 30 levels, with only their dailies and utilities making a major difference in how they played. Battleminds picked up their best powers at 7th and 13th, and I'm not sure about ardents.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

My money's on Nale dying, since 'family business', and Tarquin makes a better final antagonist for Elan's plot arc without losing anything Nale imparted to it - he's really just a better continuation. If the Order gets the "murdered in a pit" treatment (which they might, since Tarquin specifically asked Haley to get out of the pit too), V will reappear just in time to save them.

I know Tarquin's an evil psychotic who's mostly in for his legacy and a life of power and success, but I wonder what he really wants from Elan besides perhaps overthrowing him one day to make a great story. Does he want Elan to be a hero (thus enhancing his fame in the process)? Does he want him to come over to his way of thinking and become an evil overlord too? Elan and his family seem to have issues with getting validation from others that might be at work there.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 18, 2013

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Who What Now posted:

Tier 7: Samurai and Truenamer; have niches that their abilities actively work against.

Haha, really? Someone explain this for me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dolash posted:

My money's on Nale dying, since 'family business', and Tarquin makes a better final antagonist for Elan's plot arc without losing anything Nale imparted to it - he's really just a better continuation. If the Order gets the "murdered in a pit" treatment (which they might, since Tarquin specifically asked Haley to get out of the pit too), V will reappear just in time to save them.

I know Tarquin's an evil psychotic who's mostly in for his legacy and a life of power and success, but I wonder what he really wants from Elan besides perhaps overthrowing him one day to make a great story. Does he want Elan to be a hero (thus enhancing his fame in the process)? Does he want him to come over to his way of thinking and become an evil overlord too? Elan and his family seem to have issues with getting validation from others that might be at work there.

Evil or not, part of having a noteworthy Dynasty is having grandkids. Elan and Haley are more likely to have kids than Nale and Sabien.

Tarquin has been playing some Crusader Kings II and wants to make sure his heirs aren't a bunch of losers.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nilbop posted:

Because of hilariously bad design, Truenamer abilities actually get *harder* to use as you level up, since the Truenaming DC for casting their powers increases faster than the points you are allowed to put in said skill. The only way of getting around this is custom magic items or tricking your DM into letting you have an item familiar.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nilbop posted:

Truenaming is a Class Specific skills who's DC's for success increase by a factor of (Max Possible Bonus to Truenaming Skill per level)^(Hit Dice Of Monster) essentially, meaning by level 5 you literally cannot ever possibly succeed on any true naming check and therefore cannot using any of your class features.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Who What Now posted:

To wit, Samurai are actually worse than equivalent level NPC Warriors in most contexts, and Truenamers get weaker as they level up, because the difficulty of their abilities goes up faster than they can keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Is it my imagination, or does the mention of a drop of blood seem to make Durkula perk up a bit?