Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i was sorta hoping for a more traditional dungeon layout as a throwback to the dungeon of dorukan, but this is pretty cool too. i wonder what insane monsters team evil has fought already? all we know for sure is there are some Purple Worms and a Roc down there somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
(B^)U - I think I just had an evilgasm.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Think of all the xp in that dungeon.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

greatn posted:

Looked the same to me. I just noticed the darkness effect looked different, more dark somehow.

He has a neck now, which is weird.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm all on board with the "none of the doors are correct" angle. Why make it even possible for them to guess correctly?

In fact, I seem to recall Haley calling that out somewhere in Girard's valley.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Yeah. Serini was a rogue, she probably thought "shell game" too.

That said, putting it inside the statue seems like a pretty bad move, since it seems pretty likely that any given evil villain would just smash the thing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

"Hundreds of doors packed with the strongest monsters and they're all the wrong one" is some dick dungeon design beyond Tomb of Horrors

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm all on board with the "none of the doors are correct" angle. Why make it even possible for them to guess correctly?

In fact, I seem to recall Haley calling that out somewhere in Girard's valley.

Haley called it out during the Azure City siege, where Xykon pulled that very trick.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I love the idea of the tomb of a jillion monsters quite naturally leading to the formation of a society of tamers that both maintain and benefit from its existence.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tenebrais posted:

Haley called it out during the Azure City siege, where Xykon pulled that very trick.

That's what it was. It was the three fake Xykons. The real one was invisible.

I love the idea of Xykon getting owned by that very same trick.

Shugojin posted:

"Hundreds of doors packed with the strongest monsters and they're all the wrong one" is some dick dungeon design beyond Tomb of Horrors

Isn't it glorious?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I know that "What do dungeon monsters eat?!" is the stereotypical example of Missing the Point 101, but... a filing cabinet of huge strong monsters, each one sitting quietly behind a single wooden door for decades waiting for an enterprising adventurer to knock, somehow feels too silly even for the OotS-verse.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

NihilCredo posted:

I know that "What do dungeon monsters eat?!" is the stereotypical example of Missing the Point 101, but... a filing cabinet of huge strong monsters, each one sitting quietly behind a single wooden door for decades waiting for an enterprising adventurer to knock, somehow feels too silly even for the OotS-verse.

Unless there's more to each door than that

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
stasis field deactivates the moment you open the door. easy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like if there wasn't more to the doors than 'something behind the door in a 4x4 square room' or whatever, Xylon would have already blown open all the doors and be done with it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
"Wait, then monsters come back" suggests there's either a whole ecosystem here, or someone is still dropping in from time to time to bring supplies and fresh monsters. (I'm thinking it's the former, because Oona's tribe probably would've noticed the latter and her comments make more sense if she's worried about overfishing.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, it sounds like the dungeon is a series of tunnels and caves, each full of nasty monsters. And also possibly enchanted to prevent stuff like the "blast it open and be done with it" approach.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NihilCredo posted:

Doom 3?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I feel like it's probably in the statue as well, based on the original strip showing where the rift was and where the statue went, plus the "Sacrifice Forgotten" on the statue seems a little weird.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

The "monsters come back" comment makes me wonder if they respawn, setting it up for a meta video game joke for someone to make.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Kruller posted:

I feel like it's probably in the statue as well, based on the original strip showing where the rift was and where the statue went, plus the "Sacrifice Forgotten" on the statue seems a little weird.

"Sacrifice Forgotten" is because they didn't get to tell anyone else about his sacrifice, in an effort to keep knowledge of the rifts from spreading.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I don't see much difference with Xykon's art, I've been loving Redcloak's look though.

Xykon so far seems to be doing an admirable job reining in his tendencies to murder minions indiscriminately, seeing how Oona seems to getting along so well with Team Evil. I can't see her looking the other way about that kind of thing the way Redcloak used to. Being from a persecuted group just barely eking by in a wasteland as well, I'm guessing one of her purposes may be in contrasting her to Redcloak. We're still getting to know the character, but already I doubt I could see her ever sacrificing family for the sake of revenge.

Oh, and the shell game seems very probable. I'd always thought an epic level rogue might've come up with something more devious than stuffing a bunch of monsters in a dungeon.

I'm thinking the MitD has just been handed Chekov's paintbrush, though. I'd be very willing to bet that gets used to leave a warning or message for O'chul once he realizes he's around.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Hmm, the MitD doesn't leave any footprints in the snow. Clue, or red herring?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Well, he stamped his foot once and caused an earthquake, back in Azure City when Haley and Belkar were getting away with O-Chul and Roy's corpse, if I recall correctly. So, if nothing else, he has feet at least.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sefer posted:

"Sacrifice Forgotten" is because they didn't get to tell anyone else about his sacrifice, in an effort to keep knowledge of the rifts from spreading.

Yeah, it's a reference to the 'your sacrifice will never be forgotten' 'actually, I think that's exactly what's about to happen' dialogue from the crayons strip.

Man, Xykon must've been so loving pissed when they arrived and found another bunch of goblins sitting on the Tomb, considering his mood about the whole Gobbtopia thing when they left.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Kruller posted:

I'm not convinced the statue is where the rift is. If you look in the background of that flashback shot the tree isn't in the statue panel and the mountains are different.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I'm not convinced the statue is where the rift is. If you look in the background of that flashback shot the tree isn't in the statue panel and the mountains are different.

I'm convinced the rift is somehow hidden such that saying to the statue 'Your sacrifice is not forgotten' is the key.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

NihilCredo posted:

A magic item that conjures food/water once every day set in the back of each cave. That's a third level cleric spell, it can't be that hard to make it repeat.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yorkshire Tea posted:

A magic item that conjures food/water once every day set in the back of each cave. That's a third level cleric spell, it can't be that hard to make it repeat.

I didn't say impossible, I said silly.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NihilCredo posted:

I get what you're saying, but it's a silliness that dates back to the mid-70s and for all its absurdity is completely acceptable within the rules so it seems core OOTS, actually.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It's probably not intentional, but the way Oona described her tribe taking advantage of the dungeon's ecosystem gave me strong Etrian Odyssey vibes.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

NihilCredo posted:

Not much sillier than a giant block that says "The gate is in another pyramid."

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

HisMajestyBOB posted:

We've only ever seen the MitD on land, though, right? It seems unlikely that it would be a herring or any other kind of fish. Unless it was somehow enchanted to survive on land...

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I wonder if the right door is 'all of them'. Seirini built the tomb to reflect Kraagor's belief in physical might, could be that the only way in is simply to beat what's behind every single door.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

DoctorTristan posted:

I wonder if the right door is 'all of them'. Seirini built the tomb to reflect Kraagor's belief in physical might, could be that the only way in is simply to beat what's behind every single door.

That would be my guess. Each door is guarding a piece of a key or some such.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm beginning to wonder how Rich is doing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Lowtax? I saw him tweeting the other day.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

New one!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
At least Xykon got new boots out of it.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Xykon with the apt summary of Rule Zero in the 5th panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I wonder if Rich has read and Iain M Banks, the whole multidimensional structure so your fancy plot skipping powers don't work is common enough but it reminded me of Matter first.