Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
In the later books they used the pronoun that corresponded to the sample player character they provided. At least for Base Classes and PrCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It can only be seen when V acknowledges that s/he has a familiar at all.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

goatface posted:

Bard. With 50,000 people who will follow him to their doom.

Fight, fight, fight, to your untimely deaths!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CapnAndy posted:

And if you've got, say, 70 points in Sense Motive, suddenly that -10 you're laboring under isn't the world's biggest problem. What do we know about Tarquin? Tarquin is prepared. He can handle reality-warping lies.

70 points? His level would be in the 66 if he didn't have any magical assistance, and I can't really see anything lower than mid 40s even with some powerful magic items.

Epic starts at 20, btw.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 18, 2011

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DontMockMySmock posted:

There was this thing three years after 3E and four years before 4E, you may have heard of it.

Oh yeah, that edition that you could still use all your 3E stuff with if you aren't a drooling retard that doesn't understand the rules. I remember that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

HKR posted:

But you had to buy more books man! Instead of just giving everyone who ever bought D&D a free copy of the hardcovers, they mearly only produced a PDF of what changed between 3 and 3.5 and gave it out for free. Can't you see Wizard$ is all about the money? You're just a sheep with wool over your eyes.

Now excuse me, I have to write fifteen paragraphs on RPG.net (I'm a fairly popular poster there) lamenting the fact that my favorite RPG company went out of business. Sure they only ever produced two books for their game in the last five years (Which I didn't buy but I totally gave them moral support on RPG.net!). But it's all Wizard$' fault for over saturating the market. TSR would never have done that!

At least we still have Monte Cook, paragon of balanced gaming and his Pathfinder system. Thank Ao we don't have to give Ha$bro any more cash.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Ao has all the domains, man. All of them. What kind of retard picks some pussy god with a limited portfolio of influence? :jerkbag:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

inthesto posted:

If you're not being sarcastic, then I believe you are wrong, because those titles go to Mike Mearls and Iron Heroes. :colbert:

No, Pathfinder is balls and no one should ever play it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ashenai posted:

That's dumb, you're dumb. 4E is nothing like that at all. And that's a common criticism from people who have read some of the abilities but never actually tried playing the game.

Yeah, gently caress people who make jokes!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DontMockMySmock posted:

But I guess if you like playing a game where the party wizard is literally better at everything than every other character, feel free to play 3.x. Whatever floats your boat.

The fix to this is not playing with spergy assholes who power- and meta-game to absurdities.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ashenai posted:

I like how people think spell resistance or "good saves" are even a thing against wizards, it's adorable :3:

To be fair, I guess if your players are as retarded as V is, these things could help.

Again, not being a spergy powergamer =/= retarded. Some people even play sub-par wizards on purpose because its fun. A shocking concept I'm sure.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ferrinus posted:

So I read your post and I noticed that you didn't even try to deny that wizards are far stronger than non-spellcasters, such that there isn't actually a point in even traveling with a non-spellcaster past level ten or so.

Yes. Yes there is. It's called playing a 'character'. Is this really so hard of a concept to grasp that some people aren't going to try to make the ultimate murder machine?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ferrinus posted:

I feel like maybe you're affecting extreme stupidity here in order to avoid honestly answering the obvious point I am making.

What point? Yes, you can make a wizard that can kill pretty much anything. Whoopty-poo poo. Thats pretty much the most boring thing imaginable, and I cannot fathom why you're acting like every single person is going out of their way to break the game. I suppose you can "accidentally" break the game, but then why would you keep doing it? It's a terrible idea and only terrible people would keep doing it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's not a high level spell.

It may well be the only -1 level spell.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Basically every single person on the planet has no reason not to become a 1st level wizard (or if your DM allows it, a 0 level wizard!) just to get access to be able to cast prestidigitation. All you would need is a Int of 10 and someone to write down how to cast it so you can remind yourself every morning.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nilbop posted:

He's essentially a hippy who steals poo poo and fights in arenas. So better than a hippy, but still with annoying hippy views and just pretend he says man at the end of every sentence.

He's a hippy dual-wielding daggers.

Good Striker. Best Hippy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

V. Illych L. posted:

Yeah, making the powerful cleric fight alongside his most intensely hated enemy does not strike me as a recipe for success. Now hope that Tarquin's going to backstab Nale at some point.

It's not tactically sound, but it is naratively sound. And that's whats most important.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm almost positive "Aquatic" is a template that can be applied onto pretty much anything. And if it isn't you just slap "water-breathing" onto hobgoblins and then you're done.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Alchenar posted:

If you don't understand the concept of Chekhov's Gun then you shouldn't be replying.

Maybe both of you shouldn't be little prissy bitches.

Anyway, I'm really happy to see an "underdog" character like Redcloak, who is completely outclassed by Xykon, shown that they are competent and badass in their own right outside of those situations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zore posted:

You can learn to use effects to negate the costs. Things like having people under you sacrifice a spell slot for the day with more power the higher the level of spell slot sacrificed. And since there is a ninth level spell called Gate which lets you summon and control things like Solars who have Ninth level spell slots, and they can summon more Solars to control you can get an insane chain pyramid scheme going that lets you make virtually any spell you want as there are literally an infinite number of Solars.

I'm almost positive theres a rule that summoned monsters cannot cast any form of Summon Monster or Gate specifically for this reason.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

pseudorandom name posted:

"Soon an' 'is paladins..."

Well played, Rich. Well played.

Maybe I'm PBFing this but... I don't get it? :confused:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
A lot of problems with wizards and clerics are solved by not playing with people who are enormous raging assholes. I just wanted to let anyone in this thread that doesn't play DnD know that so long as your group doesn't include one or more douchebags who can only get boners by lining up numbers and dice your games don't really have to worry about this poo poo.

Please continue with grognards.txt

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nipponophile posted:

Seriously, guys. There's a forum for GAME discussion, and it's not the one designated for comic discussion... which we're currently in, by the way, in case you've forgotten.

This can't be quoted enough. I don't even like 4e but PLEASE don't bitch about it in this thread. No one cares, and no one understands just how big your 4e dick is, either for attacking or defending it. Let's talk about some OotS, maybe?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

shelper posted:

So his Holy word is... holy?
Isn't it usually something a little more... personalized, i guess, to the deity of worship?

It's a pun dude.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Soonmot posted:

Fourth edition fixed all of this.

It really didn't, it just slightly shuffled the clearly superior classes a bit is all.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You're right, 3.5 has some glaringly huge problems. But anyone who thinks that 4e fixed them completely is wrong. Mechanically I'd have to agree that 4e is probably superior in terms of balance, but its not balanced overall and it sacrificed the ability to have a huge range of options when building your character to do so.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ChaosSamusX posted:

I know this is a long callback, but how did Crystal sunder Haley's bow in one hit back in Strip 607? As it was stated to be a +3 weapon, she would have to deal at least 46 damage to it, and weapons (I believe) are immune to sneak attack damage, meaning a Rogue/Assassin would have great difficulty dealing any high amount to it at one time.

Critical Death Attack.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sefer posted:

I'm hoping this doesn't spark up edition warring again, but they did a little of that in 3.0 and a lot in 4e; there were official errata documents that fixed issues with rules and game elements. I recall only one or two in 3.0, and I have no idea if they did any in 3.5, but 4e has released at least a couple of dozen update documents and are still releasing small ones every month. It's possible to have an official authority that changes overpowered stuff so it's not overpowered anymore in D&D, they just never put any serious effort into it before 4e.

Even in 4e they never did a "just ignore that one," though; it was always "that thing works differently now (and you probably don't want it anymore if you just took it to exploit it)." Even some feats and powers that are obsoleted by later material are still technically in the game.

3.5 had lots of errata released for it, its was a big thing on the WotC forums every time one was released.

Yeah... I used to post a lot on WotC... I was young and stupid.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
And we really don't have any reason to assume that the axe is a +2 Unholy Greataxe that Tarquin just have lying in his personal stash that was A)something he could use and B)also a greataxe. Tarquin seems strong enough that the majority of the time he doesn't worry about optimizing so much as accessorizing.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zore posted:

+1 plus nine miscellaneous enchantments is almost universally better than a +5 plus five misc. enchantments.

Not really, no. Not if you care about hitting what you're swinging at, anyway.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

sebmojo posted:

I wonder when V will twig about the gaping loophole in his soul contract.

Which loophole?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ConfusedUs posted:

Xykon's robe is dark blue, isn't it?

Not even dark blue. That's just plain blue. It's not vibrant like Azure city, but there is no way to mistake that robe as black.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Caerulius posted:

Why is your Hroar naked?

He's acting out because his father is never home.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
On the other hand, they want to rule behind the scenes, and constantly shifting regime changes makes that a lot easier. If they really wanted the wars to stop, I believe they would stop pretty quickly.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cliff Racer posted:

True but for all you know that only entails raising an army in the desert and then storming the palace who's gates have mysteriously been left open. Tarquin is in a position to make coups much less long and bloody than if they'd been legitimate coups instead of propped up sideshows.

A lame, half-hearted, "oh no, I am totally being executed" followed by a cabbage falling to a basket while someone squirts a bottle of ketchup everywhere is nowhere near as convincing as an actual leader who actually thinks he's going to die. Because he will. Die. Because he's going to be beheaded and replaced with an entirely now government.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that actual coups are way more believable than pretend coups. Which fit perfectly into Tarquin's style. He has absolutely no reason to give two shits about how long or bloody the revolutions are, and in facts profits more when they are longer and bloodier!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RickoniX posted:

The problem with that thinking has always been these

How is that a problem in the slightest? The spell takes away exhaustion and heals bruises and small cuts.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cuchulain posted:

I just hope Vamp Durkon gets a awesome evil callback moment with "UNHOLY" at some point.

The Evil equivalent of Holy Word is Blasphemy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mocha Frost posted:

Except, they just have to look at the speech bubbles to see that he's evil. That and the eyes.

Just because he's evil doesn't mean he isn't still their friend. The OotS aren't Miko.

ConfusedUs posted:

Dude was almost out of spells anyway. Had nothing left over 4th level, and had used a fair chunk of those below.

I went and checked, and Durkon does have spells above 4th level, but he comments that the ceiling is too low for Thor's Might, and he doesn't have ten minutes for the casting time of Planar Ally. He has at least one 5th and 6th level spell, and likely a few others in his 5th and 6th spell slots, but none of them were useful for combat.

-EDIT-
Not that its terribly important, however being able to summon a Planar Ally and a vampire with Thor's Might could be a deadly combo for the Order to face. Unlikely to happen, though.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 16, 2013

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
This may not mean anything per the rules, but in Forgotten Realms when Lloth went and hosed off to the Demonweb Pits and stopped giving her clerics any new spells or powers, the clerics could still cast the spells they had previously prepared, as well as any scrolls or spell-trigger items they had. Obviously as time went on such items became increasingly more precious, and very few preistesses had spells of their own, if any at all. So Durkon might keep his spells, but be unable to get new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zerilan posted:

Also Smite Evil appears to be REALLY effective in OOTS.

I think it's more that its more painful to evil people, not necessarily that its that mch more damaging.