Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Trolls aren't anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

rotinaj posted:

D&D Hell ain't so bad. Especially if you're a high-level PC.

Tarquin could probably fight his way back out. Hell, if he's over 20th level by the time he dies, he could probably depose one of the rulers and live the good life all over again.

D&D Hell is pretty bad given that you enter it pathetic and weak after death.

I mean, if he was some sort of Wizard I could see it turning out differently but he's going to spend eternity as a poop devil.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

rotinaj posted:

Not unless the DM is specifically making "unkillable" NPCs to gently caress with his characters.

Miko.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Donraj posted:

Burlew actually did a write-up of how he figures the fight went down mechanically. It was pretty well thought-out.

I don't know about the first time but he explanation for the second time was pretty stupid.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Poil posted:

So V decides that the best use of her/his turn is to cast fly and get up in melee range with the other wizard instead of something useful like hold person or dispel or even a freaking lightningbolt? Normally I don't care about stuff like that and I know the author has said that the pc's don't always make the most optimal decisions but that's just plain stupid. Even Elan wouldn't do that (well actually he might, because for him being in melee is good since he is a melee fighting person and not a ranged spellcaster). :downs:

If we were thinking about "plain stupid" not hitting V with that Flesh to Stone is much worse.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ah yes, the 3.5 rogue. Unable to kill a cat.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

If this was 3.5 they both would have been chargers and this battle would have been finished the strip it began in.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

CapnAndy posted:

One of the subtlest jokes in the entire series is that the only character who's properly min-maxed is Elan.

Durkon.

Apparently Thog too.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Cuchulain posted:

Plot to strips. I have Crohn's Disease so I'm not a big jerk about Rich not updating. But holy poo poo this whole desert bit has been a loving glacially paced.

The trend continues.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Cabbit posted:

Christ, I have never seen a more entitled fanbase than webcomics fans. The dude is loving diseased and you're not paying one thin red cent, quit bitching.

Bad pacing is bad pacing.

It does not magically become good pacing because the dude is loving diseased.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Brannock posted:

Pacing is distinct from updating speed.

Yes I know. Quite update or not this story is dragging.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

inthesto posted:

I'd just like to point out that after all that beating Thog dished out, Roy is still capable of getting up and formulating a tactical plan.

It's subtle, but when you catch on you have to say holy poo poo Roy is a badass.

Or, if you're a D&D nerd you think "damage doesn't matter until you lose that last point of HP".

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Thanks for the lesson. Now I'm off to use the ATM machine.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I like the line about the drow optimizing his entire build to beat V... because it explains how Belkar or somebody else will be able to beat him. It's like that whole big argument about 3e wizards is magically rendered moot!

Not really but it's nice to think that.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Cabbit posted:

It's entirely possible that you could set up your daily spell selections exclusively to deal with one specific thing and leave yourself open to something else. Somebody who sets up their spell selection to nothing but fighting another wizard could conceivably find himself on the outs when faced with not that.

Over-specialization is still a thing, if you don't have a plan B.

Spells are rather flexible in that a Rogue turns to stone just as easily as a Wizard does.

Also, basic mage buffs protect from everything, period. I suppose Zzt'Dri might have specialized to the point where he has not prepared those basic mage buffs but then that's less a case of overspecialization and more a case of stupidity.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ashenai posted:

Yeah, I have no idea where he's getting all his damage from.

+10 plot damage.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I think I need to take a break from this comic because whenever I read it I turn grognard.

Like, the whole time I was reading this strip I could only think "but what about encumbrance?"

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

XkyRauh posted:

Durkon fills so many roles, though! He's the straight man, the dwarf, the voice of religion, and the Cleric. It's true he doesn't have a lot of individual personality, but he provides a springboard for the other members to show their stuff. :)

Durkon's personality is dwarf.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Nale is actually really good at recruiting people.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I hope Thog is dead.

Roy is also an expert on aqueducts so Xykon better watch out for those.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Fighting Trousers posted:

Roy is the kind of melee character I aspire to play in PnP.

I can't help but feel that Roy was burned by the DM in an earlier campaign for not having the right knowledge skills to understand "taking out supports makes the roof fall".

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I think it's an acute case of "DM-doesn't-keep-track-of-player-skills-itis."

It's awkward when you know a player is cheating in a game that doesn't have a winner or loser.

Fighter: Can I knock down a pillar to cave the roof in?

DM: No ranks in Knowledge Architecture? I think not cheater! Also, I tried to kick a pillar down once and couldn't do it. Therefore it is impossible you are a double cheater!

Wizard: Can I cast disintegrate to bring the roof down?

DM: Of course. Verisimilitude demands it.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Cliff Racer posted:

Well, Miko beat the entire team that one time and two or three pretty convincing rear end-kickings took place in Start of Darkness.

DM Railroading doesn't count.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Nale has a lot of HP for a terrible, terrible build.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

3.5 Harm does 10 damage per caster level. Assuming the minimum level to cast harm that's 110 damage. Maybe Nale made his will save? He has a lot of sorcerer levels.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

terminal mehmet posted:

What the hell, all that for no familiar? I'd never allow that variant without additional cost.

Don't worry. This is another "what does Harm do" situation.

With Stalwart Sorcerer, you get Martial Weapon Proficiency for one weapon, Weapon Focus for that weapon, and extra HP equal to 2 times your Sorcerer level (so all those non-Sorcerer classes get squat).

For this you give up a spell known of the highest spell level you know.

So, assuming you stay a Sorcerer you can end up with 40 extra HP at level 20.

Is 40 HP worth a 9th level spell known and the ability to prestige class?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

ConfusedUs posted:

A lot of D&D spells have really useful applications out of combat. The low-level ones, specifically.

Grease is awesome and useful for a million different things. Two million if your DM is at all lenient. I had a DM let us double our push/drag load provided we greased the ground underneath whatever we were dragging.

Also Magic Missile is the best way, ever to kill flies, if you don't have a flyswatter. It can't miss.

Oh sure, let magic take away another Fighter job.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Bobulus posted:

I guess I don't understand/remember why they're even bothering to hide the fact that Roy is part of the Order.

Honestly, Tarquin may be Lawful Evil, but we've already seen he's willing to bend the rules when they benefit him. Like when the bounty hunter who messed with him got his documentation 'lost'.

If Elan had mentioned from the beginning that Roy was part of his team, Tarquin would probably have found some loophole to get him out of the pit fights, if only so that Elan would have the strongest team possible to go out and fight other evils with.

There is no difference between Lawful and Neutral Evil in D&D.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I think the poster meant "in 4e there is no distinction between Lawful Evil and Neutral Evil, because they were collapsed into one Evil alignment".

No, I meant there was never any distinction in the first place.

Alignment discussions bring nothing but misery though so I don't mind if your view varies.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Toussaint Louverture posted:

LE: "How can I exploit the system?"
NE: "Can I get away with this?"

Notice how these two are pretty much the same?

Fun new comic. I am surprised I laughed at Tarquin's spoiler alert but it happened.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Tarquin is going to die trying to use the Gates and his scheme will collapse. In a few years, there will only be a handful of people who remember him.

Nale, you were smart enough to focus on your sorcerer levels but not smart enough to max out your concentration score?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Yup. You're going to die Tarquin. Even worse, you're going to die in the middle of nowhere so your legend will just end.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Huh. That's a gate spell isn't it?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Lurdiak posted:

I think it's kind of clear by Nale's final words that what he wanted all along was to be free, but that's kind of difficult to do when your dad's a lawful evil control freak.

Pretty much. Just a cog in one of Tarquin's schemes indeed.

I find it interesting that people still consider Tarquin a "goood" father or a "loving" father.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Belkar is still evil. Just look how he treated his charmed kobold captive. He's just not one dimensional anymore.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Soonmot posted:

I'd say Belkar is at least up to Chaotic Neutral.

Belkar isn't even close to being Chaotic Neutral.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

How many of those long range spells wouldn't kill Elan as well?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I'm just liking the many uses of multishot. Underpowered my rear end.

Yeah, Rich's ability to make fantasy almost believable is astounding!

The D&D nerd in my sees Tarquin catching two arrows and thinks "huh, that makes Tarquin an epic level character."

Then the D&D nerd in me thinks "Fighters really such since catching two arrows is something only epic level fighters can do."

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 4, 2014

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

jng2058 posted:

Roy's a PC. Any group of PCs worth their salt when given access to a Vampire Cleric will move heaven and earth to keep said Cleric. There's so much power and utility there.

Any group of PCs worth their salt will toss that ECL nightmare as soon as they get a chance.

I wonder what will happen to V to prevent him from gaining more problematic magic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Rumda posted:

Oh yeah Durkula isn't making it to the Dwarven lands.

He's going to make it. He has prophecy on his side.

Belkar on the other hand...