Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

An imperfect duplicate of love

Wex Major posted:

It's completely different. The dark side of the force reprograms people to become evil if they aren't already. Jedi don't fall on their own, there is an outside evil force seeking to corrupt them. It's not a natural psychological response to power, it's a side-effect/hazard of opening your mind to the influence of the force.

...who says? I always got the impression that "the dark side of the Force" was just a different way of using the same Force, and that only corrupted people would use it.

Anyway, yeah; basically, doing evil things for a good reason is evil, from the D&D viewpoint. From the Book of Exalted Deeds:

"Is it acceptable to tell a small lie in order to prevent a minor catastrophe? A large catastrophe? A world-shattering catastrophe?

In the D&D universe, the fundamental answer is no, an evil act is an evil act no matter what good result it may achieve."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

The Werle posted:

(I have waited long for this moment)

:frogsiren: NEW STRIP IS UP :frogsiren:

I think Roy's sword is a little indicative of exactly how far from her rocker Miko has strayed.

Wow, that was really awesome.

"YOU KILLED THE WACKY OLD GUY WITH THE CAT!?"

tsob posted:

At least she admits that she needs to think about this, and figure out what's going wrong. Which wasn't helped by Roy getting up in her face, and mocking the poo poo out of her.

Yes. I love how it's not just the bad guys who are doing stupid, emotionally-fueled things that will cause trouble down the line.

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

Parahexavoctal posted:

Especially if you did it 35 minutes ago.

...drat you for being awesome.

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

Human posted:

If Miko gets redeemed in a atonement story arc or flies into the sun like Hal Jordan, it'll be obvious.

Actually, Parallax-Miko would be cool. Imagine her with cosmic-level power!

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

ZorbaTHut posted:

I'm enjoying it a bit. It's sufficiently entertaining that I continue to read it. I hope the plot gets on track a bit more, right now I don't feel much connection to any character in any way, but I'm still giving it a chance.

This is pretty much how I feel about it, as well. It's not so good that I would have started reading it if it hadn't been linked from Order of the Stick, but it's good enough that, now that it's got my attention, it's holding onto it.

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

Rincewind posted:

The difference is that he's supposed to be repugnant.

This is true...

quote:

Unfortunately, Erfworld fails to give us any reason to still want to read about this guy in lieu of any redeeming qualities or interesting characteristics.

...and so is this. For me, it's been coasting on the subversions of fantasy gaming comics, but if it doesn't develop something interesting to hang those subversions on, it's not going to go much further.

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

D&D is an amalgam of fantasy literature, both from history and from modern writers like Jack Vance. The four elements come from classical Greece. Throwing in modern science breaks my suspension of disbelief that OOTS is a world that follows the rules of D&D. It's lazy to sacrifice the internal logic of the story for a single joke.

Following the rules of D&D shouldn't be part of the suspension of disbelief. Following any specific set of rules isn't important, in a story, but consistently following the rules you set out is. OOTS has never followed the D&D rules precisely; why should it start now?

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

The threads you mention are, uh, found together in pretty much every fantasy elf race. They're very far from mutually exclusive and also pretty far from interesting thanks to gross overuse. Tolkien's elves are an arrogant 'n' secretive dying race of mystics.

I believe that's exactly the point. Instead of taking the whole thing, you take one part and focus on it.

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

Spaz mk. 2.0 posted:

I'm mostly just basing this on a hunch, but I think that that Lord Tyrinar dude is Elan's dad, which would make that arc even cooler.

...that... would make sense. Dangit.

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

I think I once gave Sean Howard of "A Modest Destiny" an aneurysm on his message board. Of course, everyone who disagreed with him on his message board gave him an aneurysm.

He's pretty anyeuristic. I pretty much stopped reading the comic when the blog rants below became nothing but bitching about other people in webcomics.

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

Zereth posted:

In 3.0, I think they left that up to common sense...

The problem is, of course, when you get people who disagree on what "common sense" means, either out of of honest confusion or out of trying to game the system. (See early Magic: The Gathering for more of this.)

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

You know, there's a good chance she's going to a less than pleasant afterlife. Look how Soon danced around the issue of where exactly she was going, and the line about her horse "visiting" her.

To me, that felt more like "You're going to the afterlife, but you don't get to be a ghost-martyr, and your horse is going to be assigned to some other paladin."

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

Zoolooman posted:

Hooray, new comic!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0466.html

I like how Redcloak is basically a Roy who hates humans.

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

Factor_VIII posted:

That seems a rather poor way of acting. After all, his audience encompasses a lot more people than just those that post at his forum; if he tries to customize it to target them, or just to screw with them, he might eventually alienate other more casual readers.

The thing is, he makes it funny anyway. Tsukiko's plot is such a fantasy cliche that it's hilarious when she goes "Nah, screw it", even if you don't know people have been predicting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

bgaesop posted:

I edited it so there's more. Also, since you apparently are not satisfied with those:

Those were oddly cute!