Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Ehh, really, it's not great for anyone unless it's really powerful and Roy already has a Holy Burst Greatsword +5, which is pretty drat good. Call it addition by subtraction that they got it away from Tarquin.

I assumed that was Undead Bane on the sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It was probably enchanted by torturing a virgin to death on her wedding night or something anyway. Tarquin's stuff's got some bad mojo on it.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Mystic Mongol posted:

Urg, verisimilitude. Do you seriously fight monsters with an AC so high you're looking at a 95% miss rate? And then glance back and forth between, "Hit on a 20," and, "Sometimes miss on a 20," and try to decide if a 5% or a 3.2% hit rate better encapsulates the fantastic experience of spending round after round flailing about like a spastic little kid?

Hey. Anyone can miss on their lower bab attacks!

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Not really, no. Not if you care about hitting what you're swinging at, anyway.

If you've got someone along who can cast Greater Magic Weapon you can just load up on the misc bonuses and let them make your weapons have an appropriate level enhancement bonus too.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

So what will Elan's plan for dealing with daddy be anyway? I say he wants Durkon to Geas him into fixing all the bad stuff he's done.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

RickoniX posted:

Malack probably knows remove curse

Has to be two levels higher than Durkon for that to work though and didn't they make a point of the two of them being on equal standing?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

DoctorTristan posted:

He's likely the same level as Tarquin, who's at least one level higher than the OotS (Holy Word had no effect on him due to his level), probably a lot more.

I took that line about equal standing meaning equal level, but I guess looking at it again it could just mean that they're both lone adventuring clerics outside the formal structure of an organized religion or something.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

What does he need Durkon specifically for though?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I think it would be hilarious if Nale died, came to the realization that being in hell really really sucks and came back a reformed man once Sabine swung a resurrection.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

MikeJF posted:

At this point everyone is so expecting him to turn undead

Belkar doesn't have the wis to multiclass cleric.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

:siren: Order of the Stick #866 :siren:

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Say, couldn't the IFCC just force V to kill herself when their time controlling her was just about expired?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I assumed that the final gate is near his homeland so when he dies during the adventure at some point and the Order hauls his body back home it heralds the imminent arrival of Xykon and Co to wreck up the place.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

my dad posted:

Then why exile him in the first place? If he never leaves, he can never return.

The reason was that sooner or later he would have left to visit relatives or something anyway. But if he's commanded to stay away forever then he will because he's lawful.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

:siren: #867: The First Title Also Still Applies :siren:

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It sort of feels like it's still too early for Belkar to die. We've seen hints of character development and killing him before they go anywhere seems just a bit off.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Yeah I was referring to the whole bit about Mr Scruffy inspiring the occasional twinge of empathy, not the fake "Hey look at me I'm Mr Good Teammate!" thing he's got going on.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It did double as a tomb for her dwarf buddy, after all.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Say how about this for a fitting death for Belkar? He dies saving Mr Scruffy from something when they're alone somewhere together, so no one else sees or knows about it and his dying words are some sort of joke about how at least no one will ever know that he died performing a quasi-good act.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I dunno, if he was epic level then Harm doesn't seem like the first spell he'd pull out against Nale. At the very least he'd break out an Implosion or something for that. I'd guess he's around level 15 or so.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Oh come on we even see the thing Roy's referring to later. It's Death, of course. Bony, black robes, scythe.

This is reaching.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

No. loving. Way.

I would like apologize to every single person that I silently thought was an idiot over the vampire theory.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

XkyRauh posted:

Speaking of Level Adjustments, however: When Belkar is first lifted up, there's a big cloud of dark energy around him, and he sizzles for a panel afterward. Is that Level Drain?

Energy Drain (Su)
Living creatures hit by a vampire’s slam attack (or any other natural weapon the vampire might possess) gain two negative levels. For each negative level bestowed, the vampire gains 5 temporary hit points. A vampire can use its energy drain ability once per round.

I assume it was that. You can see Malack's minor battle damage healing in the same panel.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

I don't think it was Energy Drain, or the 4th level version either. Xykon uses that in Start of Darkness and the result are corruption lines all over the victim's skin, not any smoking. (He also uses it on juiced-up Vaarsuvius, but in that case the effect stays only on the soul splices.)

Different thing. Xykon's using a spell, the vampire thing is just an ability that activates when a vampire hits someone.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Also, vampire template might just be why Malack doesn't wear armour. I always assumed he was just a feeble scholarly cleric who didn't have the strength for armour and preferred to stay out of close combat and be a support cleric.

But, as a vampire, maybe he stays out of armour because with that bonus +4 dex he's just so agile that he doesn't need to wear any anyway.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Wait wait wait wait wait. Does Mr Scruffy really have four attacks a round? That is a pretty badass house cat.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Would the party even immediately recognize vampire Belkar? Malack was able to hide it pretty well after all.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

morcant posted:

Also, the spittle coming out of Malack's mouth in the 7th panel is pinkish-red. :aaa:

Man I noticed that at the time but I was so sure it was just an indication that Malack was a frail sickly old lizard with a poor constitution; hence his "special diet."

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

wiegieman posted:

Undead have a nonability Con, not a Con of zero. Intelligent undead use their Cha bonus in place of Con, unintelligent undead are objects for the purpose of Con. So Belkar could rage and Malack has plus however much to fort saves (if he ever had to make them, like to a disintegrate).

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm

The only time charisma is mentioned in the undead entry is this bit.

quote:

Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I could see using the prior relationship with the cat to take the story in a new direction by either having the cat flee and freak vampire Belkar out as he loses the one thing he cared about... or by having vampire Belkar turn out to be a complete monster by casually killing Mr Scruffy for kicks the moment he gets the chance.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I don't see any way how Durkon can win this if it turns into a fight. They're probably comparable level and Malack is a super powered vampire on top of that. Maybe if Belkar fights off the Hold before they go at it.

Edit - and his protection from sunlight being a spell seems pretty risky. If he gets dispelled in a fight in daylight then he's just instantly dead.

Colonel Cool fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 25, 2013

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Vampires have turn resistance. Assuming they're equal level then it's almost impossible for Durkon to turn him. If Malack has even one level on him then it's completely impossible.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

edit - beaten

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

So if the spell wears off could Durkon + slightly con drained Belkar take Malack on?

You know, assuming Belkar is even feeling in the helpful mood.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I'm kind of picturing the whole "red eyes and black speech balloon" thing like what happens to vampires in Buffy when they go into killing mode.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

wiegieman posted:

Sure. In fact, Durkon alone would have a pretty good chance here, a murderous Belkar would seal the deal pretty quick.

Could Belkar even damage Malack? I doubt his daggers are silver and having like seven stabs a round doesn't do much when you can't beat his DR.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Sefer posted:

Either silver or magic should be fine, and I'm guessing at his level Belkar's daggers are at least a little magic.

Vampire DR is silver AND magic, not silver OR magic.

They have to be magical silver daggers to pierce his DR.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I'm kind of expecting Malack to completely whup his rear end and then turn him, and possibly Belkar too, into vampires.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Malack acted like it failed, but the art suggests otherwise. I suspect he's taking a page from Tarquin's book and is faking Durkon out by pretending it failed so he can set him up for a finisher.

Possibly in the very next strip.

Oh I just thought it was unclear artwork. Good call.

Also, based on Malack dodging the hammer swings, I'd say that my guess about him not wearing armour because he has a massive dex score and doesn't need it is right on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I bet this fight ends with them trading blows for a while, the Hold wearing off, Malack dominating Belkar, and forcing him to help beat Durkon.