Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
I love the comic, but I haven't played since first edition so all of this discussion is kind of fascinating to me.

Is it true that only a 20 sided die is used to play these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

I was overseas for most of June and not reading threads, but I still checked post counts on the Awful app when I had wifi. I was all "Sweet! 160 posts in the OOTS thread, there must be some updates!" Then I got back and it was all wizard arguments :I

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

Someone post the disease table from the same era so I can figure out what I caught from that expensive doxy

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

sansuki posted:

It was some EPIC dirty talk, dude.

One could say she put a bug in my ear

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

You guys make me feel like I played in some shallow campaigns, what with your cantrips for chafed asses and DMs being all "A fly is pestering you. Roll for initiative."

Now I want to find a group just to kill some flies with magic missile.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

Can you take a decanter of endless water to the elemental plane of fire, hang it a mile or so up from an immovable rod, turn them both invisible and make your own steam room dimension?

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

They're all wearing amulets. Someone has a magic item factory churning out the good stuff.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

Guyver posted:

Those aren't amulets, it's the lacing on their shirts. They're just water orcs.

Right you are! I missed those creature of the black lagoon ears

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

Between the date of the comic, the writing, the concept, the art, and the context in which it was referenced, this is one of the most powerfully nerdy hyperlinks I've seen in ages, and I unironically salute you sir or madam.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

Has Rich ever mentioned whether the story was optioned for film? It would surprise me if it hadn't been.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

If you stone to flesh your average boulder, what type/race of flesh would it become? Would there be hair and blood?

If you stone to flesh an Unearthed Arcana lava man, would that kill it?

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

greatn posted:

The flavor of the meat and texture probably had to do with what kind of rock it is.

I would rp the best hot dog stand in the realms

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

jng2058 posted:

The problem with that particular rule was that 2nd Edition ALSO had individual class-based experience rewards. So a Fighter got extra xp for every monster he killed, Thieves got bonus xp for gold, mages and clerics for casting spells. So it meant that a Fighter with 18/00 Strength who was already getting a ton of bonus xp for killing things because he had such a huge Strength was then getting a +10% on top of that. Or a cleric who got more spells to cast because of his high Wisdom then getting a +10% bonus to all that experience he's getting for casting those spells. And so on.

Which would be fine in a point buy system because you could always choose to make sure you have a good enough score to get the bonus in your particular class. But in a random system, and a particularly harsh one at that, it meant that you ended up with some players having a huge edge because they got lucky during character generation and therefore becoming the stars of the show, while those upon whom the Goddess of Dice frowned upon being relegated to the supporting cast.

(Rolling 3d6, no re-rolls, put 'em in order was the default rule. Granted, there were optional variants, including the most common one of 4d6 keep the best three, put 'em where you want, but even that didn't guarantee that you would get at least one 16.)

And yeah, the fact that 2nd Edition had other, bigger problems doesn't keep the skewed experience rules from also being a problem.

Speaking of old rules, what was the justification in 2nd ed for getting xp from found magic items?

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

Augustus Golden is pretty much the best name in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

Slime posted:

It basically makes you into a police detective, or possibly a private eye depending on which you prefer.

Character sheets are a flat circle. You're going to be in that dungeon again and again and again and again...