Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

I wonder if they covered this in the Book of Erotic Fantasy. I can't believe we live in a world where that is a question a human can ask.

Of course, pages 37-38. It deals with the issues of sentient and nonsentient undead. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So, why didn't they get papers before entering the city? How did they even get in without anyone asking or telling them about it?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

Dragoons, my man. Off by an O.

How do you know the dragoons aren't dragons? It would fit thematically.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hmmmm, so would drow carry loot such as +2 tin foil hats?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What is it about half orc barbarians that make them so adorable? :3:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Huitzil posted:

Thog is just a normal orc, isn't he? Therkla was a half-orc, and she could speak normal English and only had fangs on her bottom teeth. (Also, her "disturbing implications" origin story was the best thing ever.)

Both the books No Cure for the Paladin Blues and War and XPs as well as the ootswiki lists him as a half orc and I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned in the comic as well. The difference in speak is probably because of their difference in mental stats.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So V decides that the best use of her/his turn is to cast fly and get up in melee range with the other wizard instead of something useful like hold person or dispel or even a freaking lightningbolt? Normally I don't care about stuff like that and I know the author has said that the pc's don't always make the most optimal decisions but that's just plain stupid. Even Elan wouldn't do that (well actually he might, because for him being in melee is good since he is a melee fighting person and not a ranged spellcaster). :downs:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cabbit posted:

V didn't cast fly, he just started flying. I'm assuming he cast Overland Flight on himself this morning like any smart wizard. It looks like he was about to cast something else, and the Drow nailed him in the face with something he had readied.
You're right. I saw the purple aura as V casting a spell, but upon closer inspection V doesn't specifically say "fly".

Hypocrisy posted:

If we were thinking about "plain stupid" not hitting V with that Flesh to Stone is much worse.
But that would make V unable to hear the taunting. It's also a pretty nice insult of "that rogue is more threatening than you are". :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kalas posted:

I can't blame a mage for wanting to take out the rogue first.
An archery based rogue to boot.

Bah, archery poses no threat to any semi competent mage.

quote:

Wind Wall

Evocation [Air]
Level: Air 2, Clr 3, Drd 3, Rgr 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Wall up to 10 ft./level long and 5 ft./level high (S)
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

An invisible vertical curtain of wind appears. It is 2 feet thick and of considerable strength. It is a roaring blast sufficient to blow away any bird smaller than an eagle, or tear papers and similar materials from unsuspecting hands. (A Reflex save allows a creature to maintain its grasp on an object.) Tiny and Small flying creatures cannot pass through the barrier. Loose materials and cloth garments fly upward when caught in a wind wall. Arrows and bolts are deflected upward and miss, while any other normal ranged weapon passing through the wall has a 30% miss chance. (A giant-thrown boulder, a siege engine projectile, and other massive ranged weapons are not affected.) Gases, most gaseous breath weapons, and creatures in gaseous form cannot pass through the wall (although it is no barrier to incorporeal creatures).

While the wall must be vertical, you can shape it in any continuous path along the ground that you like. It is possible to create cylindrical or square wind walls to enclose specific points.
Zz'dtri should also have access to Deflect Arrows, Stoneskin, Greater Invisibility, etc to completely hose Harley. Does Elan know Dispel Magic of any kind?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If someone like me is playing a wizard it could be killed by a couple of commoners, just saying. :v:
Go V!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yeah, the sorcerer was that half-elf prick they picked up during their recruitment drive.

Actually he's listed as a conjurer wizard in War and XPs. As far as I know the only sorcerers they've fought are Xykon and that bandit chick.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah and it's way better than the official oots forums where it about 20+ pages of nothing but pointless fanboy praise. Exactly why I prefer reading this thread other it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

That's because the official forums are the worst forums in the universe, maybe except Gaia forums.

I wouldn't go that far, apart from the oots part it's not that bad and at the Roleplaying Games you can get tons of good help/advice with rp. For free you also get occasional discussions exactly like our previous wizard vs rogue except people there are even bigger nerds. :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't that Qarr, the imp working for the IFCC? That might be awkward for V and totally risk giving away some of their plans.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I liked the pun in the title. :shobon:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Actually if the cat counts as an animal companion it might have at least as many hit points as V does.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

Endurance let you sleep in your armor. Run let you move x5 your speed instead of x4 per round. Both pretty crappy compared to, ya know, being able to teleport to other worlds or create a pocket dimension to rest in.
I wasn't aware that there were specific feats for those two spells. :v:

A better comparison would've been with, say, Power Attack.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's a pretty good argument for anything stupid or not-optimal the linear guild does, it was Nale's plan.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ashenai posted:

Another way of looking at it: Lord of the Rings would have been a pretty short book if the characters worked in the 3.5 style.

Boromir: "One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Gandalf: "Very true. Fortunately, I have Greater Teleport memorized. Come, Frodo. The rest of you can go take a nap or something."
I hope I'm not opening another can of worms here but Gandalf would probably have been far too low level to cast that spell. If you look at what he does and compare it to spells it doesn't give him a fantastic level. Plus his weird wizard race most likely gives him LA. I read some good arguments a long time ago for the fellowship being about level 5 which included that almost nothing they do can't be done at that level. Most of what they fight are just orcs (which are, what CR 1? 2?), if they had been high level the orcs must've been high level to pose a serious threat AND that would've made every single human soldier high level as well since they could beat an orc in a one on one. Um, but this isn't really important.

crime fighting hog posted:

Well, I can see the sun, can't I?
Actually based on how spot and hide works you'd need to roll a d20, add about a million for it's size penalty and make a DC of over a billion due to distance. So no, you can't see the sun. If it tried to hide. :pseudo:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It should be noted that the title for the last comic is "We Recommend Tsukiko". I approve. :pervert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It doesn't work if you do it like that. You must be unaware of it and a certain amount of time must have passed.

Pope Guilty posted:

Tsukiko would never go for Haley, she has all that horrible life in her.

Yeah but it's a nice thought.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Update! More proof which class is better, fighter or barbarian. :smug:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"I cast fireball centered on myself!"

Anyway, as long as you (and the rest of the group) are having fun it doesn't really matter what class you play. :shobon:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Shavnir posted:

Did Belkar ever get the ring of jumping back? I mean otherwise I'd think the flight spell pretty much puts the wizard at the advantage.

I don't think he had any qualms about looting it from Roy's corpse during all the months he spent with it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah, but it would have been confiscated when he was sent to prison, unless he remembered to hide it.

He already did that once when he was locked up in that blue paladin town. Of course the paladins weren't particularly competent in guarding prisons.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I remember reading somewhere that the higher level you go the less the actual weapons damage matter. Things like Power Attack, enchantments, Favored Enemy and other feats such as Leap Attack makes a d3 instead of a d6 a bit irrelevant.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dolash posted:

So is Thog ultimately the better combatant?

Possibly. Barbarians get more hitpoints per level as well as a small amount of damage reduction and Roy has probably spent a lot of his bonus feats on things that require him to be wielding a great sword to matter. Thog is most likely stronger than Roy too, especially if he is raging.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Alchenar posted:

You missed the bit in the last comic where Roy was almost back to being even with Thog until the dog got thrown through the wall, at which point he started raging again.

I didn't miss it. Normally with things like that you need to roll a d20 and Roy could just have rolled higher. But regardless of that Thog gets a +2 racial bonus to strength so I just assumed he's stronger. Unless of course Roy rolled up some ridiculously good stats so he can afford to match Thog's strength while outclassing him in all mental ones.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

You can't fool me, that's from FATAL and I'm going to continue believing so no matter how much evidence to the contrary there is.

No, then the table would've taken up at least 3 pages. You don't even want to know what FATAL has to say about harlots. :barf: :gonk:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

And knowing the usual 3.x edition method of cleric "balance," it probably incapacitates a monster for 1d4 rounds or something.
An unhinged jaw is nothing to laugh at.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cantrips offer such power as dealing a d3 of damage or healing a hit point. Yes, healing a hit point.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So cantrips are actually pretty awesome. The yawn spell would be great to use to harass a public speaker. I forget, can you use metamagic on cantrips?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What if you're bound and gagged by local authorities while awaiting trial for that "hilarious" prank you pulled off in the tavern earlier? Vials of acid can be so much fun.

Speaking of that, I've always liked the Invisible spell metamagic. It doesn't cost anything (besides taking the feat) because all it does is make the effect of the spell invisible. So a fireball spell (level 3 spell) turned into an invisible fireball spell is still going to be a level 3 spell. Sure they can easily tell you are casting a spell and once that fireball lands they'll know it was one but it does work wonders if you cast an invisible grease spell on a staircase.

It can also be used to fill a room with a thick invisible magic fog to screw with anyone who tries to use see invisibility or true sight. Or how about some invisible explosive runes?

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 3, 2011

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah I can't help but feel that he knows everything already.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They're not bringing Thog...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally I'm rooting for Redcloak and didn't care that much for the resistance. I almost thought those bearded devils were half-fiend dwarves before I noticed their size.

Lots of summoned monsters is nice but if the blues and elves have a caster with banishment ready it could turn out badly for Redcloak.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yes! Go Redcloak, go!

If a magic spell doesn't specifically say it grows hair it probably doesn't.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm sure Hollywood wouldn't change the setting, story or characters any to give it more "mass appeal" in any way that could possible affect the quality. Who am I kidding... THEY'D gently caress IT UP SO BADLY IT'D BE AWFUL COMPARED TO THE DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS MOVIE!!!!!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

He could hint that she was planning a romantic surprise for Xykon after suggesting they move on right away.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Come on guys, surely someone else besides me like Tsukiko. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

He might be slightly annoyed he didn't get to watch though.

That was the perfect death for her. I liked her but she went the way she, probably, wanted. I'm content. :)