Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You know the familiar can just fly high above the snarl and drop the thing in. Of course then Xykon might be able to intercept it on the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Thinking back to the strip with the oracle isn't it impossible for Xycon to be destroyed here? He still has to get within 1000 feet of Girard's gate.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Gally posted:

I don't think anyone thinks he'll be destroyed here.

A few people talked about Red Cloak taking over as main villain so I'm pretty sure some people did.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

zeal posted:

If Xykon survives

There is no if, he absolutely will make it within a thousand feet of Girard's gate because the oracle said he would. I could easily see this destroying the phylactery though.

Out of curiosity, in D&D rules would reading an explosive rune right in front of your head destroy your body if you were a level 20 or so liche?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Shavnir posted:

That's already came to pass, he came within a thousand feet of Girard's gate on his way to Azure city.

I'm just hoping the explosion rockets the phaylactery into the rift but we'll see how it goes.

Wait really? How did I miss this, was it in one of the books?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nosy_G posted:

Wasn't the point of the whole thing with the Oracle trying to convince Roy to ask him where the lich was going next that Xykon was currently AT one of the two gates that Roy mentioned in his question?

No, its because Xykon was heading towards the third gate, in Azure City, and Roy specifically precluded it from his question by accident. We're lucky the Oracle of the Stick was captured by Miko and brought there because if they weren't... well I guess nothing would have changed but still.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sefer posted:

I was hoping that SOME good would come of this side trip.
It has allowed V to rescue O-Chul and probably make some sort of daring escape (and fight Tsukiko?) It also seems likely to in some way move the plot away from Azure City (thank God.) Speaking of which, am I the only one who thought that the last 150 or so strips were really starting to be dragged out with no plot advancement until just a month or so ago?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Halloween Jack posted:

Especially if, for the first part of the process, you're a little metacarpal flopping around that someone can scoop up in a jar.

The head comes first I believe. Or at least I think I remember Red Cloak having to haul it around last time.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Kuroshi posted:

Looks like his nose.

Also: Baby Tarrasques can't do that, can they?

Tarresques can't even speak.

Earlier in the thread people were speculating that the MitD was some sort of undead God fetus. Was that ever ruled out?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nosy_G posted:

I'm actually wondering whether the party is ever going to defeat Xykon. I don't mean to say that I think Xykon's unbeatable, but rather, that the comic i just perpetually going to essentially revolve around him versus the Order of the Stick.

I very much doubt it, the comic has been slow going but plot points are being resolved. The story definitely seems to have a beginning, middle and end even if we haven't reached all of those parts yet.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Hentaikid posted:

But he'd still be under the compulsion to eat redcloak even if he did himself rebel?

BTW, erfworld is updating in text only form, for those that care. Well, text + some illos.

I read through Erfworld yesterday and its actually pretty good. The only real problem I had with it were the terribly unfunny internet cliches. Then I read their website updates... those are two creepy as hell people making that comic.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its funny, when rereading the archives noticed that those three fiends first appeared as Sabine's bosses, I don't think the comic is done with them yet, not by a long shot (which is a shame because they are super boring and generic for OotS villains.)

As for V's alignment, disintegrating Kubota is much stronger evidence of him being chaotic or neutral than stuff like the dragon killing. I've never played D&D but I do read some comics based off of it and have never really seen a chaotic neutral archtype similar to the lawful good, lawful evil, etc ones that get brought up.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
To be honest, with the exception of making a deal with demons (in order to save his family,) none of his actions really seemed evil to me. He killed an evil man, gave a bunch of refuges a home, saved his family, killed a bunch of dragons, reunited a team of good adventurers (or at least tried to,) and tried to defeat an evil lich.

In my opinion he would be neutral good or chaotic good but apparently the comic is calling into question his goodness more so than his lawfulness. At least from what we have seen so far anyway.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

bison wings posted:

Is dropping an anvil on a road runner evil if you are hungry and plan on eating it?

Both of them break the speed limit every single day so I don't think coyote is lawful, he's probably a true neutral with Road Runner being neutral good.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Manyorcas posted:

It took 222 strips, just a hair under 1/3 of the comic's run so far, to get roy resurrected. I wonder if we'll be getting a book ending page soon.

From how fast things are moving I get the feeling that the author knew that people were getting tired of "Elan's wacky side quest adventures with no greater relevance to the plot" and decided to get the strip moving again.

Although maybe he made the comics long and pointless intentionally so we would better understand Vaarsuvius' motives in wanting to just get everything over with?

I've got to say I love that they just have V laying on the ground there in the foreground.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

Thank goodness neither Farrah Fawcett or Michael Jackson played D&D. At least the plot will start moving along now.

Well according to wikipedia those strips were thoughtful and well thought out and durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I suppose I should have expected Gary Gygax' wikipedia entry to be bookended by stupid poo poo but still.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cabbit posted:

Are you trying to put forth that V shouldn't feel bad about time-sharing his soul to the lower planes in exchange for largely squandered temporal power because nobody else knows about it?

It was only for like fifteen minutes, he shouldn't care about it much at all (until he actually has to do the work and realizes how terrible it is or until he becomes aware of his alignment changes.)

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 27, 2009

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HKR posted:

Eventually they'll come in contact with a working gate/snarl, and twenty minutes is plenty for them to do what they want with it.

Unless they want to perform the same ritual that Xykon does, which would take weeks.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ConfusedUs posted:

And O-Chul continues his trend of being inordinately badass and noble at the same time. Even though I know it's unlikely, I hope that O-Chul goes with the group on their quest to destroy Xykon.

Doing so would take away his bad rear end paladin powers, wouldn't it? As for Xykon, he's not all that strong. He almost got destroyed by Soon's ghost after all. V had a pretty good run at him too, despite what Xykon himself might think. His real strength at this point is plot armor, I don't see him kicking off until the end of the story.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well depending on what he learned off screen from the others he might know that they are willing to abandon a party member for committing evil acts that could hurt the party like renting your soul away at an unspecified future time.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Brannock posted:

So why exactly (other than the obvious reason that Burlew wants to foreshadow all of this to us) are those high-level demons explaining all of this to a lowly imp?

Another plot of theirs, probably. They wouldn't just spill the beans to or even hang out with a lowly creature like it otherwise. I guess they will probably want to preform the same ritual that Xykon wants to do. Can't wait to see the Linear Guild in action again, they are my favorite characters.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wait, I thought Roy's memory of the afterlife was basically erased? Would he really remember the details of his mom's relationships?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ConfusedUs posted:

O-Chul is awesome, but we knew that.

Also, the elves' sending there at the end has exactly 25 words, the spell's limit. And was that Jirix who just got offed by the elven covert insertion team?

Maybe but I doubt it, its been what, six hours since he died, why would he already be out at the edge of the city's territory.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

IMJack posted:

I think V lost the circlet, either when he went evil or when he was fighting Xykon.

I think he is using the circlet as a scrunchie now. Either way I don't like V's art update because it makes him look like a woman as opposed to his old one which really was fifty fifty looking.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dooey posted:

Hah! Perfect that his vacation would coincide with mine :)

Anyway, does anyone know where to get Start of Darkness? (or any of his other books for that matter?) I've looked a few places, including online, and none of them have it :(

Well if you don't want to use the artist's shop you can check out whatever your local comic book shop is (which can be found here or, if you don't like waiting two minutes for the website to load, here.) I got Origin of PCs from Comic Swap in State College and they had several of the other chapters as well (but sadly no Start of Evil.)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

No. That was the point of V's reaction when it actually began to speak.

To be more specific, in one of Blackwing's intro strips it was stated that the bird did not wish to "lower itself" by speaking common.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Pretty good, strip, its nice to see stuff that was planned out several years ago actually come to fruition.

Speaking of which I brought and read Start of Evil last week and it was quite good. It does a fine job of making Red Cloak more interesting.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

tazman posted:

I would've figured Elan to be Lawful Good?

Wait, aren't all Bards chaotic?

It was established very early on that Elan was raised Chaotic Good by his mother and Nale was raised Lawful Evil by his father. Although Nale hasn't exactly been very lawful lately to be quite honest.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ahh, finally a strip that doesn't feel like it was phoned in. Its funny, builds the plot up and mercifully ends that last battle sequence.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You're all crazy, its pronounced Ellen. The real question is how do you pronounce Nale's name.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

sfwarlock posted:

That bedirties your eyes? Pfft. Try this one:

Looks like Haley shaves more than just her "legs and pits"

Well the redrawn comics are good for what they are, I suppose, but they are obviously pretty amateur. I just can't get over how two dimensional the two grunts were drawn.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Maybe but at the same time Fluffy seemed pretty smart to start with, giving the king "advice" and all.

Of course that might be something that everyone who reads the predictions on the official forums has already figured out and I haven't so whatever I guess.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Noonsaliwah posted:

^^Does this mean Durkon can't be ressurrected though? I think he's allowed to die and come back and still fulfill that prophecy.

Well then that just doesn't make sense! Roy died the day the goblins took the city, and it was at least 3 months later when it was revealed Belkar will die within a year. So if there's 6 weeks until the anniversary of the goblins taking the city, Belkar has well over (a minimum of) 7 weeks. Maybe Roy is just really bad at maths?

Wasn't Belkar told about his death when they first visited the oracle, though he did forget it that time if I remember correctly? That would have made his one year limit start before the battle occurred.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Shugojin posted:

Holy poo poo, I haven't looked at that recently but Burlew changed the character page to reflect Haley stealing the diamond from it.

Its been like that for at least a year or so now.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The crown could very well end up in the hypothetical sea-serpent's hypothetical appendix for all eternity...

Would be an interesting artifact for whatever hypothetical adventurer ends up slaying the beast though. A crown that soon has its very own skull growing out of it!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mango sentinel posted:

The dialogue in this strip sets up the joke at the end, instead of being filler for a dumb pun at the end, or stretching the same joke over 12 panels.

I just wish it did a better job hiding the punchline, I knew what the one "quality" was going to be the moment it was brought up. Although I suppose I laugh like a moron when seeing things like Dancing Knights so it all evens out in the end.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

McCloud posted:

Screw red-cloak. He's a malicious, rascist little goblin that would throw his own brother under the bus "for the greater good". Hey I know, let's team up with a murderous lich and conspire to give him world domination, I'm sure he'll give us goblins a home after whatever could possibly go wrong herp a derp.

gently caress him, he's a genocidal weasely little bastard wtih none of Xykon's charm, and he deserved a hell of a lot more from O'Chul than a gouged out eye.

You should probably read (or reread) start of Darkness as Redcloak's plan differs in a minor, though significant way from how you are portraying it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Noia posted:

... :rolleyes:

What the majority of players are males playing male characters, aren't they?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Seems Chaotic Neutral to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

terminal mehmet posted:

This is the worst discussion in the history of this thread.

I believe that the discussion is Chaotic Evil because it is both bad and not within the bounds of the stated topic.