Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I'm sticking with my belief gods don't have any real clue what their doing and anything working out is happy happenstance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

ultrafilter posted:

PCs and high level adventurers know that the afterlife is real. For other people, it's at best a secondhand story, and usually just a mythology that's handed down as part of their culture. Death isn't that big a deal if you're sure it's not the end, but if you have even a little bit of doubt, then staying alive is the most important thing.
There are priests that can show everyone the wonders and horrors of the gods and demons and devils can physically show up from the hells. I don't think not believing there is a plane where souls go is what keeps them from wanting to die. It is dying sucks and in a world where demons and devils can physically show up it is likely to be violent and painful to.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
It's all a death cult.

but with a squid head and not a robot.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
While a spawn has to obey, can it do so while being a smart rear end?

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 18, 2018

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I fudge a lot of rolls as dm because rerolling characters for the group will kill the evening and life makes it hard enough to meet up as often as we would like anyways.

No-one has complained yet.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Or it's cool if ya say gently caress the rules as long as your players have fun

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

McCloud posted:

This might just be my favorite moment in the whole strip so far
It's good, but my favorite is still Tarquin in the desert screaming about awful endings.

This is still a really good payoff.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Slashrat posted:

I feel like you could get some mileage out of phylacteries that are just abstract concepts; like a catchy tune. The lich regenerates by the next person to hum it after his death, and to permanently destroy it the heroes would pretty much have to erase all memory of the tune from the world.
The lich's phylactery was the friends he made along the way :buddy:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I would let my players do the city bomb, we would all laugh, play about an hour of consequences, and then time would reset.

I know what my players want and I'm good friends with them anyways though. The one time I dmed for a complete group of strangers was a complete poo poo show.

Zore posted:

I mean I've never played a campaign starting from level 1. Low level 3.5 is awful and starting at level 5 or 10 gives most of the good classes (the splat book ones) some fun stuff to do. :shrug: it also opens up more stories.
My last finished module I did with my characters started at lvl 1. I felt so bad for my oracle and paladin player...

(Pathfinder is what we play)

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 1, 2018

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I had my own lovely geocities hosted sprite comic because of 8bit and now I'm feeling ancient again.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Only one. And only cause I made a custom sprite (recolored sonic, ha) for them.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Those loving nerds pretending to have fun with a system I no longer like! :argh:

I like pathfinder, warts and all. I will play another system if someone else dms.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Thog needs to stay dead because it was good way to end his character.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

ikanreed posted:

Yeah but the food pyramid is the actual joke they're making
Hell, there's a Hel survives off empty calories joke

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Thorsby is one of the reasons I keep lurking in the cccc comic thread

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Wizards are bad parents/spouses, yes.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Hammer returns and knocks out rest of ceiling is my bet

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Tenebrais posted:

I wonder if reflecting sunlight from some sort of polished surface at a vampire would count as an attack.
"Just checking my watch, oops"

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
If you cast stone to flesh on a stone golem, does it become a human or a meat golem?

Is a human just a meat golem?

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 30, 2019

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Even if table is repaired, this meeting has already ended. The next requires the formal invitation and calls, which requires a specific administration to handle. They ain't here right now though.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The only story beat I've felt Rich handled poorly was the airship mutiny. He is a talented story teller and I trust however he concludes the tale to be good.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I'll admit I'm a poo poo dm who forgets half the rules and makes poo poo up on the fly (but my players don't seem to mind) but I think only one needs the skill and the other can just be doing whatever that thing is where you add a small bonus to help

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
If the players allow/enjoy it, rules are suggestions

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

ultrafilter posted:

Like a gate to a different world?
Gate? What gate?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Darth TNT posted:

Maybe it's just the death of his old character. Meet Balker! The good chaotic neutral guy who applies himself.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I know oceans are big and can conceal life, but didn't a rift get scanned in the desert as a water source and it was shown to be void of anything?

Will check thatvarc later

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
While crayon memories are probably not the full truth (as most memories and retellings aren't), I have no reason to believe Soon of all people would lie about how his wife died.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
There is a chance that whatever form the final battle/ritual against the Snarl will render the OOTS homeworld uninhabitable so everyone got to the fresh but actively lifeless world. Which will also so happen to be out of the domain of the gods, forcing them (and probably the dark one along with them) to have to create a new reality while everyone else gets cut off from the old

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
He gave a better pep speech when his leader failed to deliver one (without calling attention to said failing), you're over thinking this

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Who What Now posted:

Is that Belkar being pleasant?
He just woke up, you'll have to forgive him.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The first gate still wasn't blown up when I started reading and now I feel old

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 12, 2020

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Belkar is by far one of my favorite "has learnt and grown" character arcs from any webcomic

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Either the simplest childrens tune or a masterpiece every time. No inbetween

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I hate all of you who link to specific comics to make your points because I lose 15 minutes everytime by just keep reading forward.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Frankly, existence seems kind of a bother

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
3.5 is for suckers. Now 3.75, now thats where its at!

play what you and your group wants

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Shugojin posted:

I think overall that's on par for the demons since a major problem they face in the blood war is that despite being literally infinite they're eternally paralyzed by their own petty squabbling

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The rock was for bashing, triggering the concentration check is a bonus.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
When does the Puzzle Fiend show up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

sebmojo posted:

Don't confuse not caring with not knowing

E: idk, it was less the cleverness and more the deadpan. I think he was sort of shocked that redcloak had the balls.
As much as I don't think Xykon respects him, I also think Xykon believes Redcloak will do whatever is necessary to complete his goal. He's seen how far he'll go