Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Hmm, he specifically mentions Redcloak as 17th level. Foreshadowing? Hmm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

poo poo just got real.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Their word...

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Well... well holy poo poo! Did V just extinct Black Dragons?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Now that's a callback.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

If you get a group of people together who are new to 3.x, and aren't trying to power- or meta-game, the wizard will be better than all the other characters on accident. You have to actively meta-game in the other direction to even approach balance.

I can attest to this. Ages ago, in my first D&D game ever, my 3.0 Wizard ended up hitting with his drat sword better than everyone else in the party.

And by dint of being a Wizard, casted better than everyone else in the party too.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

Why would Rakshasas present a problem to a party of spellcasters...? Is this you not knowing anything about the game you're championing again?

You know what's really crazy thing about the adverse reaction you're having to the acknowledgement of the fact that spellcasters dramatically overpower non-spellcasters in older editions of Dungeons and Dragons? Order of the Stick, the comic we are talking about, not only repeatedly and explicitly acknowledges that spellcasters dramatically overshadow non-spellcasters ("Foolish girl, I am a Druid! I have features more powerful than your entire class!") but uses spellcaster supremacy to drive many of its central themes. Like, Roy Greenhilt, the protagonist, chose to be a fighter rather than a wizard despite the obvious superiority of wizards. If this were a 4th edition game (or a Reign game, or a FATE game, or whatever), he would've essentially been making an aesthetic choice, disagreeing with his father over what kind of fighting appeals to him. But by choosing to be a 3.5e fighter instead of a 3.5e wizard, Roy's rendering his defiance of his father much more dramatic and impactful. And throughout the strip we get to see the consequences of Roy's choice - remember what happened when he confronted Xykon on the zombie dragon? What about the time that Varsuuvius got his hands on near-limitless arcane power, and almost used it to literally end the story, except that the villain was better at using near-limitless arcane power.

I mean, poo poo, look at what's happening right now. The protagonists have literally been divided up by tier. The meatbags are stuck down in the mud and dirt of the arena decrementing each other's hitpoints while the two mages soar overhead shooting each other with energy beams.

It works on so many levels!

Soonmot posted:

Are clerics really that good? I never actually played a cleric into high levels in 3.5, I was usually all about the rogues or wizards. So far the rogue is the most fun in Daggerdale on XboxLive.

Wear heavy armor, fight as well as a fighter through spells, have the only healing spells worth a drat, have just as many save or die spells as a Wizard.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

I uh

I'm not sure I'd call 4E low-mid fantasy when a 1st level Swordmage daily entails slicing open a hole in space/time and stepping through to another point with an accompanying sonic boom. That falls solidly under the category of high high fantasy.

It's just not broken, is all.

I like to think of 4e as Super Heroic Fantasy. It's my hope that some day I'll run/play in a game that starts off with: "Meanwhile... At the Hall of Justice!"

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

D&D really is not what I would call even close to low fantasy. It's far too magical for that. Even Dark Sun.

Forgotten Realms tries to be Low Fantasy but then forgets about that five seconds later.

D&D can't make up its mind on what its influences are so you get low magic Conan the Barbarian types with, natch, the Barbarian and other weapon swinging classes. And right next to them are the reality warping Infinity Gauntlet casters.

crime fighting hog posted:

And the previous editions weren't super heroic fantasy? I'm actually curious.

In 4e, just starting from level 1 and having everyone already be able to do cool/useful things like Dimensional Thunder up there or headlocking a creature twice your size. AND have everyone remain useful and doing awesome things left and right, yeah I think 4e is definitely more super heroic in vein.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Welp.

Would be hilarious if Roy ends up needing to be rezzed again.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Holy poo poo, what? Maybe the guy wants his privacy and doesn't feel like discussing whatever illness he has with random stranger on the internet #57.

You paid for his books. That's it. That was the extent of whatever business transaction you had with him. He doesn't owe you a drat thing afterwards.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Everyone shut up about alignment. New comic.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0816.html

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Who else is pumped up for another ULTIMATE DUEL BETWEEN CLERICS!

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

He should call them the Belkar Bitterleaf Memorial Miniatures.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Remember that Redcloak doesn't declare Gobbotopia until seventeen nations, including Cliffport, recognize them.

Also, the hobgoblins seem to have been doing just fine until Redcloak and Xykon met them (and got a whole ton of them killed.)

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

morcant posted:

No D&D campaign I've been a part has lasted long enough to get into deep cosmological specifics, if you're judged in the afterlife according to your alignment, what happens to Evil character like Nale, Tarquin and Malack, if Good characters are rewarded for following their alignment? Do they go to hell(s) for being Evil, or is there destination determined by adherence to their alignment as well? (Apologies if this is a :downs: question.)

Yeah, Evil people go to Hell.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I get the feeling that some of Eugene's actions that he's done while he's been a spirit is going to bar him from getting into the LG afterlife. For example.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

my dad posted:

Why is Bandana Paladin's Archon blue?

He's from Azure City. Everything they do is blue.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

It's almost like all the characters are flawed or something!

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I honestly don't understand why he keeps that thing around. What tangible benefit could it possibly bring?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

It becomes a Silt Paraelemental.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Tollymain posted:

Ahahaha are you serious?

This thread is a crumbling monolith of bad rpg opinions, outdated speculation, nerd slapfights, and worst of all, goblins links.

Not weighing in on whether a new thread should be made or not, but wouldn't a new thread become all of the above?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

You can't fool me NihilCredo, that's a c/p from the GitP forum. Right?

Uh... right?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Psions? Is rich trying to use rules no one knows or cares about now? But seriously, I never really got past core rulebooks, what's the general deal with psions? Mages by another name?

Pretty much. They're in the up there tier along with Wizards, Clerics, and Druids.

Getting rather scared for Haley here.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Nah, look at Durkon. He's about to bust out something unholy and medieval.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Comparing a scene in a story to a video game boss battle, Christ.

It's there so Redcloak has an excuse to stay in the room. So that Soon can threaten Xykon with targeting Recloak a couple strips later. So that Xykon can be put off guard enough that Soon is able to almost take him down before Miko fouls it up.

People spend way too much time looking for rules to explain what happens in OotS rather than story structure.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

It's almost like Rich intentionally built a webcomic around a gaming system to provide himself with a fandom and those are the people who discuss his comic.

The comic hasn't closely adhered to the gaming system in years. The comic has changed and readers should recognize it.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I wonder what context would bring Xykon and Tarquin together though. Xykon's probably on the other side of the planet by now, or headed there. And I don't see Tarquin leaving his empire.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Do we know if Malak/Durkon's staff has any spells other than Immunity to Sunlight?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

There were already 200 NPCs better than the PCs at their jobs before 4e anyways, so...?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

It took me too long to realize Jiminy was the shopkeeper, not the adventurer.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

No no no.

Varsuuvius is a metaphor for Varsuuvius.

Varsuuvius is a metaphor for Vesuvius the volcano.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Everyone should Kill Six Billion Demons

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Reach heaven through violence!

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

rotinaj posted:

This isn't really the place for it, but is Brandon Sanderson seen as a poo poo writer? His name keeps popping up in places, and I've been wondering if he's at all decent at it.

(He also does a lovely podcast with the writer of Schlock Mercenary and some other authors, it's fifteen minutes long and has just enough time to give a tip or two about the writing process before they give up.)

He's pretty good actually. Pop into his thread in Book Barn if you want to get into his stuff.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Hypocrisy posted:

So basically Burlew deserves the OotS forums.

Let's not say things we can't take back. I wouldn't wish those forums on my worst enemy.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Reach Heaven through violence and Kill Six Billion Demons.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

SpaceViking posted:

He had downed a potion a few panels before.

e: Oh, I see what you mean, he still had some after that. I don't know then.

The sword's turned Roy into a reverse-vampire and he's draining Nokrud's un-life!

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Roy gets a late season power up.

Order of the Stick: We Anime Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Jesus christ. Roy used one strike to serve him up like a tennis ball, and power-smashed him across the court with the next.

Roy managed to hit with a launcher but didn't land a conversion into a combo. At least he conserved his resources and didn't burn a super meter. Still gotta hit the training mode though.