Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Roy's answer is logical and I'm pretty sure anything else would get them all killed, but I wouldn't be surprised if at some point Redcloak is says something like, "Why would I believe you when you didn't try to tell me this until after you failed to kill us?"

That's another problem, really. Roy is trusting the almighty narrative to give them a chance to negotiate. Talking is always a free action, I guess. But if Redcloak gets his throat cut early on by a third party or he's too mad to listen in the middle of the fight, this decision is going to look pretty bad in hindsight.

I forget, is Redcloak's god in a better position to negotiate by leaving the current world intact instead of just destroying and remaking it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe he'll be saved by whatever Thor is talking about here.
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1146.html

I don't think I was reading the thread when this strip went up. Did the thread have any theories about this? "Concrete aid" in the form of "a little secret your people forgot a few generations back."

e: Something from second edition? I don't know anything about second edition.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Acerbatus posted:

Liches don't even have brains!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's the rod of orcus, a rod made of woven together tongues that allows the wielder to customize the physical form of the undead.

Xykon could have dozens of functional tongues!

And that sounds like a really floppy rod, which I guess answers the other lich problem.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

paradoxGentleman posted:

I do want to add something: yes, 5e isn't bad because it's combat focused, it's bad for an entirely different set of reasons, not the least of which the fact that instead of building on the progress made by 4e and improving upon it, it decided to take several steps back to appeal to a reactionary player base of shepherds of sacred cows.

Cowherds. :colbert:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My two favorite new characters have met and now they're friends forever :woop:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rand Brittain posted:

If we’re recommending games, I have to give out my pitch for Jenna Moran’s Glitch, the game of semi-retired apocalypse gods attempting to build a life for themselves in a world that continues to destroy them even though they gave up on destroying it.

Also Chuubo’s Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine, which should really be getting more attention as the correct system for doing things like The Owl House, Infinity Train, or Steven Universe.

Oh hey, Jenna Moran has a new game out!

My group loves her stuff, but sessions never seem to land well. I have no idea why; something about our imaginations being incompatible with this particular set of ideas. I still buy the games, at any rate, because the sourcebooks are always fun and fascinating. Maybe the problem is that the more fleshed-out and potent the tone of the book is, the harder it is to make it work in a game. And never even mind horror, I tell ya. I have no idea how groups play successful horror campaigns.

At least Ryuutama works for us.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Glitter Hearts kicks rear end. I've got a high-phys, fear-based magical girl brawler with ice hands. Last session we got roped into a live sentai show for some kids on the street, and ended up having to incorporate an enemy of creation into the scene by ad-libbing a new plot that happened to involve beating the gently caress out of it.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Alignment is silly, find the oots characters on this and we'll talk.

Whybird posted:

Guess what just showed up in the fanart thread!

I really like this.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
e^^^ this would rule. Boy, Soon sure poisoned some people against paladins.

Dogs are smarter than most or all of those other animals, but every dog I've ever met was, spiritually, a complete dingus. Owls are good at exactly two things, their brains are tiny compared to the rest of them and their strategy for killing skunks is to not be able to smell them; but I've never seen an owl come home from getting neutered still high as balls, stare at a bucket in the hall for a while and then lay down because he can't remember how to walk past buckets and now he's tired.

You could definitely switch goats and chickens though. But really, alignment is ridiculous and Roy is Lawful Big.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 27, 2021

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Belkar apologized, you all saw it, he's going to heaven now. Probably soon?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
One of these days I should play a paladin just to make sure our paladin is the chillest fucker alive.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

e X posted:

Summoning new comics with the threat of goblinposting is working too well. I am convinced Rich is reading this thread and is trying to protect us!

Rich: You know what, I think I'll make a new comic every time that SA thread starts to suck again.
Rich, day 2: is a loving puddle

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

This is also how Oglaf escaped ransom.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I wanted to drag Mage into it as well, but I went to the White Wolf wiki and the lore is unreadable. Gonna try this:

V: Lantern
Belkar: Edge
Elan: Heart
Haley: Knock
Durkon: Forge
Xykon: Grail
Greyview: Winter

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I could see Moth, yeah. Elusiveness, transformation, ambiguity, flirts with non-being in a way. Maybe not crazy enough, but that depends.

Malack for Winter, absolutely 100 percent. But redcloak is more Edge than Xykon.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

:ssh: that's the sex pest game

Yeah, to be clear, do NOT pay money for Cultist Simulator. The gameplay is only good insofar as it's a metaphor for what's happening in the story anyway. Read the wiki or just ignore the game entirely.

The creator is a notorious sex pest. Absolute shitstain of a person.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 12, 2021

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mniot posted:

I liked Sunless Sea, though, so that's sad that the author is bad. I got it free from Epic but I assume they pay out by the download so I still contributed. I wonder who's worse: Epic or indie game sex-pest...

The answer is Activision Blizzard. I honestly can't tell if it's worse to buy Diablo 2R or Cultist Simulator, which is driving me insane. I feel almost naïve in retrospect, being horrified by Kennedy's actions while Blizzard was being the scum of the earth.

Anyway, good news: the sequel to Sunless Sea, Sunless Skies, was made without him and is a better game with equally good writing. And the gameplay is much less punishing than Sea, I find, which is why I have way more hours in it.

But yo, Sunless Sea has as much to read as CS -- were you one of the people who refused to pause Cultist Simulator even to read stuff? Because that sounds like one long panic attack, and I can't imagine playing even ten minutes of that.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Same fate as Poppy O'Possum, Cucumber Quest, and Paranatural then.

What? gently caress! That's one of those comics I only go to every couple years because I like bingeing it.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't be surprised if Serini just forgot to do the voice for a second.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

My Second Re-Reg posted:

I always liked Elan? :shobon:

That doesn't count, everyone likes Elan.

World Famous W posted:

No matter who we think we are, we're all Elan

Oh yeah good point

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Parahexavoctal posted:

It's always been clear that the Sapphire Guard are cops (hey, their color is blue), but what Rich intended that to mean has perhaps somewhat changed over the years.

Probably, yeah. But to his credit, Miko has always been The Worst, and the Sapphire Guard were shown to have crippling institutional failings even back when they were first introduced and were supposed to be mostly sympathetic.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I know what you mean. My optic nerve refuses to transmit any post to my brain that talks about Vriska.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

By breaking the fourth wall, duh.

How are there more walls than dimensions :colbert:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

How... how many walls does your three-dimensional house have?

Three, that's my point, you FOOL

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MonsterEnvy posted:

Crayon Drawings are explicitly not 100% reliable.

They're much more reliable in real life, interestingly, especially in horror movies, or anything ever drawn by a child on the subject of dinosaurs.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know what a gamma is but Belkar's sigma energy seems to keep it in check, so Oh my god you wrote "grandma," I need to get out of here.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
You'll need more than a surprise round to win the climactic fight of a multi-decade webcomic, Roy. Ask Elan.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Modrons are a chaotic race and they know it. Theyre just doing an eons-long gag. The payoff is going to change the multiverse beyond recognition, but more importantly it's going to be the funniest poo poo to ever happen.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The mission is going to fail because Serini doesn't know O-Chul is a skilled beekeeper.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'd be down for cutting from

nimby posted:

Roy comes face to face with Xykon on his own
to

nimby posted:

and we cut to Roy in the afterlife again.

with Roy in mid-sentence and mid-step from one panel to the next. Xykon and the gang look surprised for a sec and then Roy is in Heaven getting glared at by his dad. Two panels, no dialog! Keep that pace and we're done by April.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Burlew racing the death of the sun to post page 1327 in time

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
MarshmAllow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Last panel makes me want to play a rogue.