Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Finally got around to reading the Haleo and Julelan story, and it makes me wonder

Something about it feels oddly prophetic, though V hasn't died yet (Though I think he's supposed to?) I wonder if Nale going to come back as a vampire-whatever somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Uranium Phoenix posted:

You do realize that Haleo and Julelan is based on Romeo and Juliet, right? And that pretty much all the deaths come straight from the play? Belkar is the one who's literally prophesied to "take his last breath, ever" in this story. V is in the clear.

Yes I know all of that, but I find the stuff with Nale (His dying, his interaction with Tarquin) a little eyebrow raising given recent events.

As for V, when the Oracle was trying to convince Belkar that his prophecy had already come true for several of the people he asked about, he was cut off once he got to V. Suggesting that he would somehow have at least some roundabout technical connection to V's demise.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Uranium Phoenix posted:

You really don't have to spoiler speculation or things that have already happened.

I was mainly trying to mark spoilers from the kickstarter story.

And I never claimed it was a perfect 1:1 representation on all points. I just found a couple of things that stood out to me.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Blackheart posted:

I keep my theory that his punishment will be dying a forgettable, almost off-panel death. Maybe raised as a mindless thrall by Xykon or something, not because of any revenge fantasy, but because it would just be so fitting. Maybe Sabine will help orchestrate it all somehow.

"Note: Tarquin died on the way back to his home planet"

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
This has probably been brought up by someone fasterer and cleverer than me before now, but I wonder if now is the time

For Elan to spring his "Can't tell you or it won't work" trick involving Durkon.

I'm assuming it involves use of the Sending spell.. but I'm not sure who it would be to. Elan's mom? What would she do, though? Scold Tarquin for murdering her son? That's not very useful compared to a Psion that can use Disintegrate. Maybe she can tie him down in legal fees and bankrupt his kingdoms with the help of those two lawyers.

As for "is he dead for good or is he not" I'm leaning toward the former, but it would be vastly more interesting if it were the latter. Tarquin is just begging to get horribly killed. And both Z's and Nale's deaths were completely lacking in any imagination. Oh, way to murder someone with 5 HP left. Durkon and Tarquin should be so proud. Truly their finest moments. Barf.

Now Nale killing Malack, that's how you make a final curtain call on a character (Who was also asking for it for murdering Durkon.) Both Z and Nale deserved better than this.

Maybe he could come back as a Demon or something. We still don't know why he hated Malack, and I get the feeling we only heard the tip of the iceburg of the surface of his issues with Tarquin. It just stinks of unfinished business. And while you could infer some of that and flashback others, I'd rather just hear it from him.

But then for a while I thought there was a good chance Miko would come back, and with only two books left I'm now assuming that is not going to happen. Shame, I liked her. Several missed opportunities there.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
If Belkar is evil for those minor offenses, I guess Haley went to the dark side for murdering Crystal while she was defenseless in the shower.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Zore posted:

He's evil for the mass murder, slavery and torture he committed before

We're (Well, I am) not talking about "before" though, otherwise yes, he was provably of evil alignment within like the first 10 strips (Okay just barely after that.)

Zore posted:

the 'minor offenses' are just showing he hasn't had a major change of heart since his character development.

Don't these minor offenses in place of further major offenses show that he's had a change of heart? He doesn't have to become a saint to count as no longer horribly evil. At the very least I'd say he's pretty close to the border between CN and CE on the latter side at this point.

Zore posted:

He doesn't get to be 'not evil' because he isn't literally murdering people left and right any more. I was trying to point out that Belkar is still acting in an 'evil' manner when he has agency and ability to without ticking off the rest of the Order.

Evil doesn't wear off over a period of two months. Which is a fairly generous estimate for the length of time he's been pretending to be a team player which isn't even good.

Arguably in real life, but this is a universe where you can literally put on a hat and no longer be evil. And neutral characters can get away with the occasional evil act without an alignment shift. If Belkar had been neutral to start, you wouldn't be able to cite those as evidence that he's suddenly become evil.

Yes his big revelation was to just "pretend" to cooperate, but if you think he's pulling off a perfect scam and hasn't been at all affected by the required continual changes in behavior then you haven't been paying attention.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

sebmojo posted:

He's certainly been drifting towards neutral, but whether he gets to bust out the eraser for the alignment slot on his character sheet quite yet is another question.

Just to be clear I'm not arguing that Belkar is certifiably outside the bottom right of the alignment chart yet, just that he's made decent upward progress that shouldn't be easily dismissed.

On a completely unrelated note, going back to the earliest strips, I noticed that in his first mention, Xykon is referred to both as "Xykon" and "the Xykon."

Obviously it became just Xykon after that, but "The Xykon" has a nice ring to it. The "the" appellation probably made him sound TOO threatening though (Notice that later it was, perhaps, inherited by "'The' Snarl.")

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Haschel Cedricson posted:

We know he's not there yet because he was deafened by Durkon's Holy Word.

That affects anyone that's not one of the Good alignments. That just means we know he's not Chaotic Good :v:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Red Metal posted:

Doesn't change the fact that a level 21 Sorcerer with the Lich template (+4 level adjustment, not CR) has an ECL of 25, which is what's used in determining XP gain when you're gaining XP.

Zore posted:

CR and ECL aren't the same thing. Vampires, for instance, are CR + 2 and ECL + 8! (Which is ridiculous).

ECL determines how much experience you get from an encounter, CR is how much you give if defeated.

As a side note this means Durkon is pretty hosed on the whole 'gaining levels' thing for a long time.

Doesn't ECL only affect PCs? (So Durkon, screwed; Xykon, not.) I thought NPCs could be these things free of that consequence.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Dolash posted:

Hell, I'm almost curious for someone to crunch the numbers and figure out how many such warriors it'd take to kill Roy, going by 3.5 rules.

If anyone does want to do that, this site will help them get started:
http://anydice.com

After that.. figure out Roy's AC I guess? Best case scenario is if an average of only 1 in 20 will hit him and unable to confirm any crits at an average of 4.5 damage every 20th time he's attacked (1d8 longsword wielded by a character with the standard Nobody Loser three 11's and three 10's for stats which means no bonus damage of any kind.) It's been too long since I've played 3rd to know what his AC would be like at this point though.

Any deeper and I think my eyes will just start to glaze over.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

D1Sergo posted:

Maybe he can join his son in Hell and discover the joys of eternal damnation together, but "you'll get your just rewards in the afterlife" always seems like a cop out to me.

Or maybe he'll regret not getting there first/not having friends where it counts.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I just remembered (Because I read it again earlier) something:

When Sabine was talking to V after he was gagged, she was saying "When they first sent us to Tarquin's-" before she was cut off. Now maybe that only includes her and Qarr and there's nothing more to it. But the two of them were both with Nale, and she had just said they [the IFCC] had pawns on every team. I wonder if that means there's someone else that's among Tarquin's group?

Or maybe I'm just reaching

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The Fiends alternate offer for V also wouldn't have worked because at that time, Durkon and Elan had already left the fleet... but V didn't know that at the time the fiends made the offer. The fiends were self-assured that V would take their offer before they made it.

Then either he just missed them (In which case if he'd done the other plan he'd have gotten there before they left), or he somehow didn't realize this fact for himself at any point and the whole choice is again pointless which is against the point

In fact it was Lee/the Lawful one that brought it up, so that makes a lie even less likely. And if V found out after the fact that it was all a lie, which by all rights he would have if that were the case during that conversation you linked to, that would have absolved him of at least some of the guilt he was suffering over, which would have defeated the purpose of them giving him an alternative to agonize over not having taken.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Whybird posted:

They gain a lot, if the goal is to shift V over to Evil. They turn the moral dilemma from 'save your family or save yourself' to 'do this the good and humiliating way, or the evil but gratifying way', and V picks the evil.

They almost immediately told Qarr that such a thing would merely be a bonus. It wasn't the goal.
*edit*
Well, "immediately" in OOTS time.. okay maybe not that quickly but the point is they did say it.

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 15, 2013

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
[very] Vaguely related, did Rich ever personally address anywhere (Perhaps in one of the books) the deal with the fight in the throne room way way back in Azure City? A friend of mine cites That Moment as when the strip went downhill for him (Or something.)

His complaint was that when they showed Redcloak zapping the ghost martyrs, it was initially revealed to have some sort of stunning effect on Soon. And then this effect or its efficacy was never seen or mentioned again and Soon was able to fight Xykon normally and then Soon beat them both up and won anyway. This bugged him enough to mention it almost every time the comic came up in conversation, and every time I ended up telling him "Well ask Rich, I don't know!" (Which he never did afaik.)

I think he said he tried to post about it when it first happened on the GITP forums, but was "shouted down." That was like six years ago now so I could be off on that part though.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

The Leper Colon V posted:

Or because Redcloak mentions "hey, it didn't work as well on him, he must be stronger" in the very next loving panel. Sorry, Zogundar, your friend is an idiot.

Edit: Correction, four panels later.

But he said it was the act of poofing the other ghosts that was having an effect on him, not attempting to turn Soon himself. But we never saw this effect after the first time. Soon just talks and fights with Xykon without issue the entire time Redcloak is zapping them (Which we know he is doing because he's gotten rid of them all by the time Xykon decides to get out of dodge.) I mean it should have been doing something, or else why did he tell Xykon to fight him while he kept on doing it over and over again? (For that matter if it stopping doing anything, why did Redcloak keep on doing it?) So what was the point of that? I sure don't know.

It'd be like fighting a boss in a game, and one of the NPCs tell you that the boss can only be hurt during a short window of opportunity if you dilate the conflux flange, except it's broken so it does nothing at all and then you rage quit I guess

sebmojo posted:

(which is a hint that trying to tie it to RAW isn't going to be that useful, cf Dashing Swordsman)

This was something Redcloak witnessed and pointed out himself, not some fan theory about how the rules work.

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 19, 2013

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

No the Turn did nothing to Soon while the poofing the other Paladins did stun him.
Plus Redcloak even said "didn't affect him directly," suggesting it was indirectly affecting him.

Superstring posted:

Comparing a scene in a story to a video game boss battle, Christ.

It's there so Redcloak has an excuse to stay in the room. So that Soon can threaten Xykon with targeting Recloak a couple strips later. So that Xykon can be put off guard enough that Soon is able to almost take him down before Miko fouls it up.

People spend way too much time looking for rules to explain what happens in OotS rather than story structure.
I'm not talking about rules, I'm talking about a plot element that was mentioned and then disappeared without explanation.

If the point was just to keep Redcloak in the room, why not just have him say "I'll clear out the ghosts with Turn Undead, you fight Soon." That would have worked fine and had the same end result.

But turning the ghosts stunned Soon such that Redcloak built a strategy around it instead. Soon even says he wants to fight Redcloak and asks one of the ghosts to basically pull the same trick and tank Xykon so he can concentrate on the REAL threat so he can avoid getting stunlocked! So shouldn't it have liked, actually done that and locked him up while fighting Xykon? Or if it had no effect, why not just say so? Coulda done it in one panel, or part of another panel, with one line. "Darn, it's not working anymore!" Instead Redcloak goes about his business like it's supposed to be helping but then it doesn't. Whyyy

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 19, 2013

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

sebmojo posted:

So your 'friend' who this annoyed. Tell us about him.

Oh, he has the most interesting opinions sometimes. :allears:

He randomly hates things with no discernible pattern that I can see (He even made a list of things I recommended to him that was supposed to be some sort of Hall of Shame. "Hey, this is the best anime ever, you should watch it" *drops it after one episode and gives it a 2 on MAL*; Hey this game is cool, you should try it- *"terrible, added to The List"*; "Hey, this game is ironically terrible, just try it for 30 seconds to see how awful it is," *exact same treatment as if I had recommended it as a legitimately good game*) This also extends to movies. He no longer trusts my opinion because I recommended such bottom of the barrel bad movies as Raiders of the Lost Ark and Robocop. He runs a 4E D&D campaign which I dropped out of after 2 years for long and involved reasons I won't get into here.

I'm not sure how much more it'd be consider 'proper' to say (Or if I've already said too much?), but I can infer from your post that you believe this to be my opinion and that said friend does not exist (Especially since that happened once before, although that time I was actually arguing against his opinion.) I assure you we are separate entities, he's just either very skilled at getting me to ask questions because of him, (Like the time he couldn't be bothered to register on a forum to ask for build advice for a game and for some reason I did it for him) or I'm predisposed toward looking for answers. Probably a little of both.

CapnAndy posted:

Soon originated the oath that bound all the ghost-martyrs, so he felt it each time one was dispelled.

Was that so very hard?

Still doesn't explain why he was unaffected during his fight with Xykon.

The Leper Colon V posted:

... screw it.

I sure hope Rich is okay!

He didn't hurt his thumb again, did he?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

Probably because getting stunned-occasionally wasn't enough to overcome "the only way we can actually hurt him is magic missile."

This is as good as any of the explanations offered for why it didn't work out. But that's not really the issue. It's that we never see this or any other of them (At least in the main webcomic.) By all appearances Soon was not inconvenienced in the slightest after that initial panel and Xykon didn't even get a reprieve in the form of not getting beat up quite so much to the point that he basically concedes the fight is lost (You can even hear him taunting Soon and getting beaten up some more in an intervening strip.)

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, I was implying that. But ok, I accept you have a friend.

'I hope Rich is okay' is what people say when it's been a long time between comics or when the thread has got particularly septic.

Ah.

quote:

As for your complaint, I just went back and read the strip:

1. Turn is AoE, but affects high and low level undead differently.
2. Rich seems to have forgotten Soon saying 'I'll fight the priest'. Happens, doesn't matter (if you like you can say the situation changed between strips, such as Redcloak running out of turning, spelling this out would make the story worse so he didn't do it)

Redcloak had at least enough Turning to finish off all of the ghosts since he says he got the last of them when Xykon makes a run for it.

quote:

3. The bit about the ghosts being linked is just something you've made up.

Is it? It seems pretty clear cut to me that, based on his subsequent explanation and strategy that at least the one time when Redcloak decided it was "Interesting" that turning the ghosts had a feedback effect of some kind on Soon. :shrug:

Who What Now posted:

Rereading the strip it's pretty obvious that Redcloak is just using normal "Turn Undead" rules and the explanation was just poorly worded, that's all. Trying to look further into it than that is stupid and to argue the point for the same of a friend that may or may not exist or because you are just "looking for answers" long after its been explained by multiple people is a bit too spergy even for this thread.

The normal turning rules actually make less sense in this case since Turn Undead has no stun effect. It's either flee, cower, destruction, or command. And high enough level undead - which Redcloak even admits Soon is ("Way too many Hit Dice") is completely unaffected. If poofing the lesser undead didn't have some effect on Soon, then why is he being stunned? If normal rules were at work, he'd be completely immune! The only conclusion is that poofing them stunned him.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Colonel Cool posted:

Way too many Hit Dice to be destroyed like the lesser ones were. C'mon. This isn't that hard. Redcloak obviously rolled a super good rebuke check and just barely managed to stun Soon once.

Additionally, considering a paladin is fear immune and all, houseruling that he's "stunned" instead of "cowering" seems like some perfectly reasonable fluff to me.

You can't turn something 5 levels higher than you regardless of what you roll. "Way too many Hit Dice" suggests he's easily more than 5 levels higher than Redcloak. And that's before you get into Turn Damage further limiting the number of HDs of undead you can affect in one go. He even says he did not directly affect him!

Again, normal turn undead rules only make less sense in this case, not more.

Who What Now posted:

I'd like to point out that the strip in question came out in '07, over six years ago. It was a mistake on Rich's part, something that happen in any story. Nitpicking such an insignificant and above all inconsequential mistake from so long ago is just insane.

Maybe it wasn't a mistake! There's a book I don't have that other posters here do have that might have had a bonus strip that explains things! Or maybe Rich talked about it once! I don't know! I was just still curious if anything more had ever been said about it. All anyone really had to say was "Yes, on page 2x4z.." or "he made a post once that said.." or "nope." For some reason I didn't expect I'd have to argue that it had happened.

*edit*

sebmojo posted:

V got the soul splice off the fiends because she needed it to defeat the ancient mother black dragon. She needed to defeat the ancient mother black dragon because she dusted her baby. V dusted the baby black dragon because Roy was looking for the star metal. Roy was looking for the star metal because Sabine/Nale sent him on a mission there. And who was pulling Sabine's strings? Why, the fiends.

I'm not sure I believe there was an intended connection, but it's a nice one nonetheless.

I'd assumed it was on some level (Though whether it was "I had it all planned out ahead of time:smug:-George Lucas" intended or not, I have no idea.) If Rich can plan Durkon becoming a vampire 800 strips and 10 years in advance I suppose it's possible! (I think he's also said he already knows what the last panel of the last page will be.)

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 19, 2013

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Who What Now posted:

If you haven't gotten such an answer after nearly a page and a half of discussion don't you think that means the type of answer you're looking for doesn't exist, and that perhaps you're wrong and there simply isn't a good in-story reason for what happened? And if you're more than willing to go this far to argue the point here, why not email Rich himself about it?

I was stating why I originally brought it up. Maybe it came up at some point around here in all those years. I haven't even had it posted for half a day yet, maybe that one poster who has the book and would know the answer is asleep or on vacation for all I know. Then I figured it was natural to defend the validity my own question. I don't think I claimed whether a good answer existed or not (That was part of the question.)

As for e-mailing Rich, I dunno, I guess I assumed he's not someone you can just casually e-mail and expect to get an answer from, or I might have tried that years ago. I think the most important person I've ever gotten a hold of was Fragmaster. I asked him if he'd make more Nerdshoe (He didn't. :() Heck, I can't get into Neogaf even after following all of their rules for registration. I just wanted to answer some dude's question (A month ago.) :smith:

Colonel Cool posted:

So Redcloak is level 16 and Soon is 20. That's perfectly consistent. Throw in a good HD roll and make the other three ghosts pretty low level and he could easily do all of them at once.

I think it's safe to assume Soon is epic level given the epic-level status of every other gate holder. That puts him at at least 21 (And given how he schooled Xykon I'd be surprised if he wasn't much higher.)

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

nimby posted:

Have the epic final showdown, but any loot they take with them crumbles to dust.

This used to be a part of the game with Drow equipment.

"Oh, did you want to take this amazing equipment back with you to the surface? It turns to dust when the sunlight hits it. :smug:"

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I was going to suggest the Snarl might be able to mess with causality, but that works too.

Alternatively, there's duplicates of everyone on the other side of the Gate and the Edolas other Belkar dies.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Oh yeah, what ever happened to Belkar's riding dog?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

inthesto posted:

To be fair, he is a fighter in a high level party.

I believe he stated that he has an unknown number of levels of some class from the Book of Weeaboo Fightan Magic though.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
So Tarquin's army is really getting shrunken down here. How awkward (And convenient!) would it be if he suddenly had an uprising to put down courtesy of Ian? That would resolve that sidequest and let the OOTS go into the portal instead of needing to take that detour away from the main quest and therefore not require some other way to escape this situation, right?

The problem with that is assuming the other four would be willing to let Tarquin go down and become a hobo. They don't want to get their hands dirty with the current situation only because it's extra effort with no reward. If his part of the operation goes down, it'll affect their bottom line.

It's a shame he couldn't have just like, let Elan design his company's new car or something :v:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

It isn't his whole army, just a division. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0911.html

Oh, well, I guess they can just forget about Haley's dad until the last book then? :shrug:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Re: no xp

:words: incoming

I'm years behind my 3.5 days, so I don't have the same grasp of the rules that I used to, but isn't it possible to get XP from lower level things if you base the XP off of the entire encounter instead of tallying up individual enemies? Using this old Encounter Calculator (Which doesn't allow for such a thing if it exists) I can determine that if your average party is say, 20.8th level (Guessing at their levels here, but that's x5 16th level characters and x1 24th ECL for Durkon) and you're fighting (Just throwing these numbers out there) one thousand CR 1/2, four-hundred CR 1, one-hundred CR 2, fifty CR 3, twenty-five CR 4, and five CR 5 monsters, your paycheck that day should be 85,875 GP (And 1 SP.) The level of the encounter is 20.8. So if it's considered to be as difficult as say, fighting five other 16th level characters and one 13th level one, and you still get paid exactly the same, why would you only get XP in the latter case? (Except for Durkon, who gets no XP in either case.)

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

How the hell did you average five sixteens and a twenty-four and come up with 20.8? The average of that is actually 17 1/3.

Oops, I was reading off the Effective Party Level, not the average.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Oh and while we're in between strips and there's a lull in discussion (Worst case scenario strip updates immediately after I post this, how awful)

Remember that ah, discussion from before about the ghosts etc.? Yeah, after That, I saw things were going nowhere good and decided "Fine, I'll contact him, if he responds he responds, if not oh well, discussion over either way." And then he did.

I've been sitting on it for a while looking for a good time to post it (He only took maybe a couple of days to respond.)

I'm not sure if it's appropriate (Or even allowed) to just repost what he said verbatim or not, (Or if it would be rude to reply and say "Hey can I repost this") so I'll just bullet point it. Hopefully that's allowed.

-First of all he expressed surprise. My friend's complaint from six years ago is the first he's heard about that event ever; I guess he didn't read the thread that my friend said he changed his password/rage quit the gitp forums over.

-He confirmed that poofing the ghosts did stun and weaken Soon.
-He also said that had Redcloak not done that, it was "probable" he and Xykon would have been killed right out by Soon when he used Smite Evil instead of just being knocked down, thus not giving Miko a chance to do stuff. He said at Soon's level, those HURT (He didn't say what level that was, but maybe he was pushing 30. You get 1 bonus damage per Paladin level soo..)
-Soon was just plain stronger than Redcloak guessed.

On a "meta" level of why he did that:

-Every last one of the ghosts had to be gone for the thing with Miko to work.
-By having the ghost-poofery weaken Soon, this gave Redcloak a reason to focus on the ghosts instead of the greater threat of Soon. Two birds, one stone.

-Given the serial nature of the story there was value in making the reader think Redcloak had a chance to keep things interesting.
-It also gave insight to Redcloak's character in that we saw he immediately improvised a strategy on the spot whereas Xykon had been just mindlessly spamming spells for the past hour.
-Gave Xykon a reason to taunt Soon/made a joke work.

-Expressed confusion over how this could be a big enough deal to turn someone off OOTS
-Doesn't see a problem, thinks Redcloak's plan didn't work as well as friend hoped it would<-----I'd say this is dead on the mark
-Thinks friend just doesn't like his writing<-----Ditto

This explanation largely satisfied me (Considering the form I used I was impressed I even got a reply, I had no way of knowing that the internet didn't just eat my submission.) My friend.. to.. some degree, but I think it served its purpose. Hopefully that settles that forever.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I would definitely like to see an OOTS animated series, but does the strip have an insurmountable lead on any TV adaptation, or would it catch up and then.. uh.. what happens in Western productions when that happens? I only ever see this stuff in anime.

Also I imagine making an adaptation of a webcomic that relies heavily on gags at the end of each strip and combining them seamlessly into a series of 24 minute episodes would test the sanity of most men. But nuts to them, their sacrifice serves the greater good, gimme

*Edit*

Simian_Prime posted:

And I'd get Dana Snyder (Master Shake) for Xykon.
I imagined it, can never take Xykon half-way seriously again, the only way it could be worse is if you suggested MC Chris oh now I imagined that :suicide:

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 25, 2013

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I don't see why True Resurrection has to be automatically terrible. You could have an adventure revolve around trying to stop baddies from gathering the 25,000? GP worth of diamonds to resurrect some evil guy who's been dead for the past 100 years (As part of a game or just a D&D based story.)

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Psionic Blast is a cone shaped power though, and this looks like it's going in every direction. Although I think there was also a metamagic feat that lets you change blast templates into other shapes so maybe it's that!

For some reason I want to say it's some kind of "Body Swap" power, that throws everyone affected into a random other person's body, rendering everyone ineffectual (i.e., fighter can't into spells.) That would also not immediately kill several members of the party.

But poking around it looks like the only two such powers work on a 1:1 basis. So unless it's a homebrew or obscure non-SRD power.. :shrug:

Otherwise I'd say it could be an augmented Ultrablast? Except that would probably kill everyone except for Tarquin and Durkon (If we assume Laurin is 20th level, that's 33d6 damage with a full blast, which is about 116 damage on average. :spergin:)

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

JuniperCake posted:

Looks like everyone but Durkon is probably stunned, but that sun looks pretty low in the last panel. Guess question is whether Tarquin has time for one little quip about worthy adversaries but legacy and what not.

Welp, was nice knowing you Tarquin.

Doesn't it take at least 10 minutes of uninterrupted meditating or whatever to get spells though?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Yeah, basically anything on the list that has the "Mind Affecting" tag automatically fails due to Undead Traits.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Shwqa posted:

absolute following of the d&d rules
Funny, I dropped it because I thought the opposite. Even if I pretended it weren't a D&D comic it still broke my contrived-o-meter, and when it put the two together I was out.

Compared to the way OOTS works, Goblins makes Rich Burlew look like some kind of super genius with his ability to ride the line between following the rules and writing a compelling narrative. Hey remember when Roy fought Xykon and flat out ignored what would have qualified as a Direct DM Warning in an actual game, and then died as expected instead of winning anyway? OOTS's ability to maintain a verisimilar presentation and not throw out suspension of disbelief is what makes it work in every way Goblins fails utterly.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Perhaps Laurin's request is calling off the plan and just ruling with what they have now, or to release her from the agreement and let her live out the rest of her life with her daughter or some other thing that would jeopardize Tarquin's plans without actually betraying him.

Now I want to see Tarquin somehow go bald just so he can properly do the Charlie Brown "AUUUUUGH!" at that moment.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

The best thing about that pointed out to me on the other forums is that he looks exactly like Elan when saying that, which is amazing for a stick figure comic.

I thought he looked a bit different there and was wondering if there was some deeper significance to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Hmm, if Tarquin bites it here, Laurin won't get her favor. But I think we're deep into "screw you TV Tropes, watch me do whatever" territory so making that into a red herring is a possibility.

Unless the favor ends up being something like "I wanted to borrow his stereo, but since he's dead I'm sure he won't mind."