Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ashenai posted:

One of the things I like the most about 4e is that it took the power range of those levels, and basically extended it over the entire 30 levels. You do miss out on all the ridiculously broken wizard duels, but on the plus side, you get to miss out on the game turning into ridiculously broken wizard duels.

That was something I both really liked and really disliked about 4e. Aside from access to new rituals, I never really felt like I was getting more powerful at higher levels beyond just hitting for bigger numbers, and even the rituals didn't have as much freedom as 3.5 versions of the effects (only being able to plane shift between known sigils in 4e compared to going to any plane in 3.5e with planeshift/gate) It removed nonsense like scry and die tactics, but felt like it limited freedom and exploration a lot without just having the dm tell you where you can go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ashenai posted:

Yeah, this bugs me about 4e, too. It does allow for interesting adventures (even at high levels) that aren't instantly ruined by Scry, Teleport, though.

Another way of looking at it: Lord of the Rings would have been a pretty short book if the characters worked in the 3.5 style.

Boromir: "One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Gandalf: "Very true. Fortunately, I have Greater Teleport memorized. Come, Frodo. The rest of you can go take a nap or something."

The End.

What I'm saying is, there's a reason every single fantasy novel or story I can think of has only evil spellcasters, or if there are good spellcasters, they're much more like 4e than 3.5e. Powerful utility magic ruins stories, and games.

I ended up enjoying both editions in different ways. 4e for the low-mid fantasy story where you're not warping reality but you manage to survive long enough to go from killing kobolds to challenging demigods, but I still enjoy the high level spellcasting arms race in 3e, aside from martial classes becoming obsolete at high level without homebrew/houserules/etc. Our groups did always ban Rope Trick though to avoid having a safe way of turning the game into a 15 minute workday too easily.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'll ask again, if a Neutral Evil character can go his entire career acting Lawful Evil because it's convenient, what is the point of classification?

Then he's Lawful Evil.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah, Tarquin benefits more than anyone by just keeping the status quo.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The original cleric in the group was Goldenmoon, who iirc lived longer than any of other other members of the group.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

XkyRauh posted:

Tarquin, or Xykon? I didn't think Tarquin showed up in SoD.

Think he means Xykon, who was pretty much purely independent in SoD before joining Redcloak.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Really hoping the comic keeps focused on Redcloak and Xykon awhile longer. Considering the events of Start of Darkness, it seemed like Redcloak talking about being the one in control and having Xykon on a leash is something he's trying to convince himself of more than something he really believes.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
SoD is definitely the best choice if you're picking up one book. OOTS is a series I knew about for awhile but the stick figure art turned of off of reading it. That changed really quickly when one of my friends showed me his copy of SoD.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

People who've read SoD, what's your read on that, actually? Redcloak asserting that Xykon's dancing on his strings is pretty opposed to Xykon's speech to Redcloak at the end of SoD. Is Redcloak just deluding himself into thinking he's still the boss in this partnership, or has he been playing a much deeper game than anyone realized, or is this a new development?

I think it's kind of 50/50. Xykon's still the one with more power, but he also still doesn't know that Redcloak's goal doesn't actually benefit Xykon, or at least he isn't shown knowing this, since his speech also indicated that he often does know a lot more than he cares to let on.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Trapezium Dave posted:

I'll be surprised if either Elan or Haley die for good, but the phrasing of that prophecy as a happy ending specifically from Elan's point of view suggests some kind of twist that might be bittersweet for anyone who doesn't share Elan's view of the dramatic.

Not sure if the "view of the dramatic" would really apply in determining what would be a happy ending from Elan's perspective.

He's already ignored bardic traditions and seeking what's dramatically appropriate in the past for the sake of wanting a happy ending with Haley.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0670.html

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Durkon will lose the duel but be saved by great team member Belkar.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

However we know that Belkar's will save is godawful and that it's not against his nature to murder his party given that he was ok with doing that with a simple charm person.)

Unless Malack makes the mistake of ordering Belkar to give the party's loot to him instead of keeping it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Xykon also showed both in a Start of Darkness fight and against V that he was a lot more willing/capable to use tactics and attacks beyond simply relying on his spell list.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Toussaint Louverture posted:

So, uh, now the party is minus one cleric. That's kinda a problem.

Elan will have to step up and be more competent with his magic now, although they now lack any raise dead spells either way.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

It will totally make Redcloak's inevitable betrayal of Xykon that much more satisfying though.

I don't think his betrayal will work out well for him. I feel like his boasting about being the one controlling Xykon when talking to Tsukiko was tempting fate a bit too much.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Niton posted:

Not only was Soon Epic-level, but he was an Epic character with templated immunity to most of Xykon's spells. Most epics and near-epics wouldn't have quite as much luck.

Also Smite Evil appears to be REALLY effective in OOTS.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Xykon doesn't use scrolls, but he's regularly shown using magic items/artefacts and twice (at the end of SoD and in his fight with V) has explicitly extolled their virtues.

Xykon's also stated that since he doesn't sleep, he pretty easily has time to spend 8 hours a day crafting magic items and likely does so every day.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Colonel Cool posted:

I always wonder if Xykon really is as clueless about people like Roy as he makes it seem. Does he actually not remember him at all or is he just faking it because it's funny and pisses him off?

Probably 50/50.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It's like he managed to cock his face and chin to the side without the upper half of the skull following.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

e X posted:

The only thing I don't quite get is way Elan seem so distraught over Nale's death. Sure, he is his brother, but he came to terms with the fact that his dad is a giant rear end in a top hat, surely he must realize that Nale really was beyond redemption, too

He likely knows Nale is beyond redemption, but he still sees Nale as family that he wishes he could get along with even if he knows he can't, and is still a good guy that just saw his brother die by his father's hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
There was also this Darths and Droids comic that came before the above one.