Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It just dawned on me that most of my players are like Belkar with his present philosophy.

I feel rather fine with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Wolfsheim posted:

Why people are always like "ugh gently caress this desert bullshit GET ON WITH IT" confuses me,[...]

Personally I think it has less to do with the plot/characters and more because Rich's update schedule is reaching Dresden Codak levels, so when we see a new comic it feels like they've been around for an eternity in this region without that much happening. I'm sure it would flow a lot better for someone reading it in one of the books or for people finding the comic in a few years and just going through the archives.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NihilCredo posted:

Oh gods please don't tell me that the new spell to summon an update is to post Goblins pages :negative:

It's quite a charm that Rich's update schedule has caused us to develop a myriad of arcane practices in order to summon new strips, like a 2.0 Cargo Cult.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Not-Thog always reminds me of this one.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I love the fact that Tarquin keeps talking even though everyone who can hear him is either deaf or unconscious.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

bartolimu posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if that axe had some kind of special properties that made Tarquin not mind leaving it behind. Maybe clairvoyance or the ability to use it as a teleportation beacon or something. Either that or it was his spare +5 axe.

And it is alignment-bound and only evil characters can wield it and he left it behind because his goody son wouldn't hang out with evil people, which means Belkar would turn into a sexier shoeless god of war.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So it is the Song of Ice and Fire of webcomics.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Of course, since V has gotten more humble, and willing to take actions that are best for the team, instead of self-aggrandizing ones, perhaps we'll see a different set of spells in heavy rotation.

To be fair, I think he's learning.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

^
I believe they do, it was 4ed that actually changed the planar structure.

jng2058 posted:

With Tarquin superseding him as Elan's personal nemesis, I suspect that his past, in the form of a death spell from Malack, finally catches up with him, though its possible that Sabine manages to get him resurrected since she's all but certainly going to miss the Linear Guild's Last Stand here at Girard's Gate.

I think that would work great with Sabine's arc, since she seems to be personally invested in Nale's well-being despite any orders from below. If the fiends decide Nale is useless they might urge her to drop him, which could cause her to go rogue.

Best :tinfoil: theory I can offer is that this turn of events would lead her to take Belkar's place in the order, since the little guy is bound to die at Girard's gate.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NihilCredo posted:

So I'd be inclined to guess that the way the fiends can use their debt is "only" by taking V's soul to Hell at the right moment, removing him from the battle equation, not assuming possession of him. What happens to V's body in that time I can't guess - maybe it goes along for the trip, or maybe it stays in a lifeless coma (from which some demonic agent can possess it, although the magical powers would presumably be with V's soul, so it would only be useful for impersonation).

Does this sperging sound about right?

Well, they owned the Soul-Spliced Wizards and bound them to Vaarsuvius, and they were mostly controllable. The way I see it they could either control V likewise or, in your hollowed out scenario, inhabit his body with a more loyal soul. Considering the rule of drama, I'd say V being under direct control of the IFCC as the most nightmarish and interesting scenario, so I think that will be it. Well, it's second to the "minor decisions tweaking" that 404GoonNotFound proposed, which would be a whole different type of horror.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Considering this is Rich's scenario, vampirism might have some adjustments to it. It is possible that Order of the Stick Vampires simply don't care about sunlight, as that isn't a factor in all vampire lore and wasn't even a thing before the Nosferatu movie.

Belkar should totally get some face paint and pretend to be this.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Poil posted:

So... does this mean Belkar will now file Durkon under lust instead of hate? :stare:

Yeah, at least until someone tells him about all the sweet vampire bonuses he's missing on because of the dwarf's "help".

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

My bet is Durkon is going to return to his homeland as a vampire, because he's a reasonably young dwarf and there is now way the Order wouldn't resurrect him if they had his body available to be sent home. Unless we take posthumously to mean "after a resurrection".

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Durkon is the only member of the Order that hasn't had serious character development since the comic began. I am seeing a pattern here, he befriends an enemy and then finds out something about them that makes the friendship impossible. This happened with Hilda, who had ran away from a loveless marriage, and now a very similar thing is happening with Malack, as I'm sure Durkon would have at least tried to find a compromise if our albino wasn't a vapire.

My prediction is still going for Durkon being turned into a vampire and Mallack dying soon afterwards, either at the hands of Varsuvius or Xykon or Belkar, freeing the dwarf from thrallhood and allowing him to go along with the party for the final showdown at Kraagor's gate and fulfilling his prophecy for returning to the Dwarven Lands posthumously.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fried Chicken posted:

Also, I'm hedging that Malak gives Durkon a greater degree of free will than would be expected since he is a friend (or "family), not a slave and Durkon kills Malak.

I think it's more likely that Xykon kills Malack during the gate confrontation, freeing Durkon to accompany the Order and giving Tarquin a reason to get all his gang together to seek out the last gate for revenge and profit.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Niton posted:

The first one's easy: he has to consent to the resurrection. If coming back means he can't go home, he might just refuse.

Well, technically anything he'd do after resurrection would be posthumously!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

drat, Belkar. His last line was genuinely heartfelt.

I am starting to suspect he might sacrifice himself to seal/destroy this gate, and that will be how the prophecy will be fulfilled.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I wonder why Tarquin is using a whip now.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

sebmojo posted:

V/Blackwing is Best Team.

Now they are using that high Intelligence roll, glad to see it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rich should seriously do what most authors do and just ignore his forums, he seems to be getting seriously burnt out with his audience from the way he's been responding of late.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I wouldn't be surprised if Belkar is the one to break the illusion ("This is so bullshit!") and the rest of the order resents him for it, at least at first.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

greatn posted:

Hey Rich it's a fantasy/illusion. We get it. You can move on.

I guess he wants to make it clear that this is a communal illusion, as I don't think Roy would care about this and has no idea what Elan's mom looks like.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ImpAtom posted:

If they're really going for irony then it would have to be Durkon who is responsible for it, wouldn't it? It also fits the prophecy.

It is defended by several monsters, so my bet is the Monster In the Darkness.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Archenteron posted:

Tarquin wears a Ring of True Seeing. Not terribly good unless he deliberately ignores them for some reason.

Tarquin didn't go down with them.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Flesh Forge posted:

I really like the reference to Roy's Architecture skill.

He's going to retire as an architect after all of this is over.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

This will be a long week.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Colonel Cool posted:

Considering each of the gates have been very well defended, I'd say pretty likely. I doubt Kraagor's gate is going to be any easier than any of the other ones that were perfectly capable of thwarting or killing Team Evil in the past.

Also the fact that Xykon had Serini's diary and still picked Kraagor's gate last, so all the other gates seemed easier pickings.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I can't get over the fact that Order of the Stick has started to update regularly again.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am going to out on a limb and say that Rich is going to update on wednesday and friday. Last week he managed to updated on sunday night, as well as on wednesday and friday without fail, which seems to me like an indication that he's trying to go back to the regular schedule he had before his health problems/burn out/ennui/alleged self-mutilation/secret NSA career.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Holy poo poo.

I guess this means Durkon might rejoin the Order? I mean, his alignment might have changed to evil, but now he's free from thralldom, and I don't think he'd play nice with Nale.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Z's teeth are weird.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ursine Asylum posted:

Not to mention that whole "doom to your homeland" thing, which I can foresee as being a direct "Durkon goes bad and fucks poo poo up", or an indirect "Durkon returns home as a vampiric cleric and splits his country in half via civil war just by existing".

Didn't the prophecy say that he'd bring Death and Destruction to his homeland? Maybe those are his new Domains.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Order really has the worst spot checks if they couldn't notice an army with dinosaurs surrounding them.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I love how Tarquin describes Nale with almost the very same words some of the people in here did.

Also have to love some people in GITP being in denial about Nale's definitive death. "The dagger has a drop of his blood! Of course Tarquin will resurrect him when his Psion isn't watching!".

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The masked guy sure is very confident to outright tell a dragon to shut up and have it stick, even if it is a dumb one.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It's kind of touching that now that Belkar is very likely to die, prophecy included, Roy is doing everything in his power to keep him alive. Guess he cares about the little guy after all.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Leper Colon V posted:

Alternatively, it has to come from a different, better-established thing going head-to-head. For example, if OOTS had an Indiana Jones-type character famous for doing the unexpected and making it up as he went, him killing Tarquin by being impossible to predict ahead of time might work.

It would be a fantastic turn-about if Julio Scondrel took out Tarquin, but I'm afraid that'd still be the "glorious defeat" he wanted.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So the reason he started Order of the Stick was to have his own garden where others could plant their stupidity in order to feel superior and hit it with a stick. :tinfoil:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Random Stranger posted:

Nah, this is the dramatic exit from the book for the Order and Tarquin is just going to make a face saving exit (only to return in the last book as a dangling plot thread that is going to be chopped off).

Nothing could make me happier than him showing up in the finale only to be one-shot by side-villain Zykon during some pontification about power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

nimby posted:

Elan could win this fight because Tarquin's going to want him surviving. Just keep walking in the line of enemy fire, Elan, they have to pull their shots!

Grab a board, tie Elan to it, use it as a shield!