Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ConfusedUs posted:

It's easily top 5 moments for me in all of OotS.

In no particular order:

1) Sexy Shoeless God of War: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0439.html
2) While I? I am still a dragon: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0627.html
3) The "Nope" gag when they finally pulled Tarquin-as-Thog's helmet off: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0852.html
4) I GOT A 4! DID YOU HEAR ME? I GOT A: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0090.html
5) Cleric Fight!: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0456.html

Honorable Mention goes to Xykon's Power Equals Power rant: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0657.html

I think "your fault" deserves a spot up there
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0857.html

OotS got a lot of mockery for its writing and was used as an example of "how not to do webcomics" for decades but I actually really like its writing. It's clever and genuinely funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

sebmojo posted:

the most i've heard is that it's insanely wordy, which, fair cop.

Yeah, I saw it very frequently cited as an example (THE example) of how NOT to lay out your panels and how NOT to write dialogue. What's the rule that people cite, no more than 32 words per panel? I think OotS has broken that almost every page of its run. It is not at all universally liked, though I do like it quite a lot as a member of the niche it's made for.

On that note, I started reading through the whole thing again and MAN, I forgot how awful Miko was. Well-written character to the end who served her purpose well, but she really hosed everything up at every possible opportunity.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Schwarzwald posted:

Your honor,

League of Legends

Not Guilty

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, whenever I've seen complaints about it as a comic, it's usually due to how wordy some segments can be, with the closing arguments at the kangaroo court in Azure City in the second book being the go-to example.

comic way too wordy for chief grukgruk sometimes

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 22, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Venuz Patrol posted:

i've always been a fan of "Has anyone seen Tsukiko?" Not since I brutally murdered her ten minutes ago, no" (832)

and if there's any point where the wordiness got to be too much, it was at the tail end of Haley's discombobulation arc when there was a bunch of strips of her talking to herself. rich's ability to write female characters has improved since then.

I appreciated his early forays into feminism and strong female characters but he of all people should know that they are more effective when you aren't quite so blatant about it. You can't put a lampshade on misogyny, sorry.

e: also I think this is my favorite throwaway gag in the whole comic

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 22, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Alright, read through the entire comic again and honestly I think "yer me" is probably the #1 moment in the entire comic: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1130.html

When I got past the 4th gate arc I remembered the whole vampire subplot was about to kick off and there were still 200 pages left and I was like "ughhh, vampire Durkon takes so long to resolve, this is going to be a slog," but I think I only remembered it like that because I was reading it in real time, and Durkon had been a vampire for five loving years. Reading back through it a second time was very enjoyable and it's really a shining example of how the comic has changed and all the characters have gone from one-note walking tropes to fully realized and fleshed-out protagonists with motivations and backstories and personal growth.

It would be nice if the vectorized stick figure comic could speed up its update schedule a bit, though.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

This is 1000% when they realize that the MitD has been painting doors they haven't cleared. They will argue about whether or not it repopulated for a while before Redcloak will come up with a reason why it couldn't have, and they will either discipline the monster assuming it was just dumb or realize that it can't be trusted and get rid of it. It might use its "escape" power again to avoid being killed and join up with the good guys, eventually. This is probably not where they have their climactic showdown with Xykon because too much is still unresolved. However, whether this is where Xykon finds the gate, or he finds it later on, he will use his possession of it to threaten the protagonists, only for them to point out that the gate is no actual threat to them since Redcloak is just planning to teleport it to another plane as a bargaining chip for his god. Then Xykon will turn on Redcloak, realizing he was being used all along, at the least opportune time for the both of them.

This is, of course, assuming that Rich goes with the obvious story resolution, and doesn't pull something out of his hat to avoid being predictable.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 5, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ikanreed posted:

That is up there with "fireball explicitly doesn't damage fragile or flammable unattended objects" over-tuning the rules.

Well, spells in D&D are supposed to do exactly what they say and no more. They have decades of rules lawyering experience to come up with that stuff.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

wdarkk posted:

Yes, and even if they disbelieve it's still some % real so they still take damage.

With the right prestige class combo you can get that percentage to be greater than 100%, making them take MORE damage on a failed will save. Well, unless your DM uses their brain.

Ah, the homeopathic fireball. Hurts you less if you believe.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

When I roll around on the floor it doesn't put the magical fire out :argh:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

sebmojo posted:

classic oots

1151 is also a good strip

Honestly, Belkar might be one of my favorite characters just because of the roundabout, awkward path he's taken to becoming, if not a good person, then at least a normal, reasonable one. "Munchkin has to learn how to roleplay" is a pretty great character arc.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ConfusedUs posted:

1150 is a really good. I particularly love the panel where it pulls out to reveal the entire Order is standing there, waiting to roll initiative and kick Hilgya's rear end.

And she just does. not. care.

The best part is that they've been standing like that for ten minutes, waiting for her to finish resurrecting him again. Poor Roy, holding up that heavy-rear end sword while she casts.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yea, the fact that the Silence is centered on the wolf is going to come up next time we see him and probably be amusing.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Say, what do you guys think the secret Thor told Durkon about that his people forgot was? I don't recall it coming up yet

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

it was where to find mjolnir

Pseudoscorpion posted:

It was the location of the hidden hammer in #1154

Ooh, right, totally forgot about that. I assumed he meant something more broad by "your people" than just "the clerics of your temple"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DoctorTristan posted:

Yeah, Rich does sometimes work in a “here’s why [character] doesn’t do [thing]”, presumably because he wants to pre-empt the 50 pages of grognardy forums discussion he’d otherwise have to endure.

I know he claims not to care about such things, but I don’t really believe that when the name of his website is a story about how he once got really annoyed when people were being Wrong On The Internet.

I thought it was the name of his publishing company? Do tell.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DoctorTristan posted:

The story used to be up on the website, but it seems he’s taken it down now. The gist of it was that he was reading the wizards.com forums and was so incensed at the sheer number of Bad Opinions on there that he had no choice but to register and set them to rights. Naturally he needed a username that would impress upon them just powerful his RPG knowledge was, so he chose that B5 quote to impress upon Wrong People that he was the Vorlons to their Centauri and they should fear him.

Ahahahahaha, what a nerd

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I simply don't believe this has never come up before. I am positive there's an official ruling out there somewhere.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Reminder that D&D spells are supposed to do only what they say they do and absolutely nothing more

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

A.o.D. posted:

That's for a regular dispel. Xykon is swinging around something a bit more potent. The same rules may not apply.

Don't we know exactly what he's swinging around? Superb Dispelling, I thought?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Which is just Greater Dispel Magic with a +40, so all the same rules apply.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Elan giving advice is probably the best part of this very good update but honorable mention to the nod given by "we can hope the wolf's having to do charades"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Brainamp posted:

Edit: or poo poo maybe just no spellcasting since it's supposed to reflect dwarf guy's belief in physical strength

This is the funniest option and therefore correct

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

TheAceOfLungs posted:

*One hour into the session*

DM: "Okay Brad, you've settled on a funeral parlor for the rest of your teammates, and the director is trying to upsell you on the more expensive coffins for them. Roll to stay under your budget, but you have a -5 penalty since you're still in the beginning stages of grief."

That's just Funeral Quest but from the other side

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

sebmojo posted:

Just occurred to me that one thing no-one has done with the Gates is go through them. Why call them gates rather than Seals or w/e?

Didn't the psion lady go through one?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think he's going to regret saying this is the last book

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Man there's so many books. It's like $250 to buy all of them, it's a shame they're so important to the plot.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Belkar didn't get in the Telapathic Bond cause he was outside covering the trail. Now the sneaky Ranger who's one of the vanguard of checking poo poo out is the 1 person who can't talk with the others.

lol I thought the same thing, and then double-checked and Rich made very sure to cover this

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't think V has suboptimal INT. If anything they dumped WIS.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Man, I'm really going to miss Belkar when he's gone. Especially after his character arc, he's legitimately very entertaining.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Also, pretty sure V is level 17, since their Forcecage lasts thirty-four hours.

But maybe they got energy drained or something.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ikanreed posted:

Someone already noted the +1 caster level shiny bauble held by v's familiar

O rite, I thought it was funny that Rich had to keep drawing it in the hundreds of subsequent comics.

e: though I guess the familiar doesn't appear that often

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

New page

Redcloak is thinking emoji.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think you'll find the Order is outnumbered by how many times Xykon can cast Meteor Swarm.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

A.o.D. posted:

Unless he learned the best lesson Mama Black Dragon could have taught him.

This has to be the climax of V's character arc. It's too perfect.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Johnny Aztec posted:

There have been a few scenes since about this.
When the Order is ambushed by the slaver bugs, V (attempts) to just buff the party and play support.

When V/Haley confront the Frost Giants cleric, V does not go on offensive, but Concentrates and uses Counterspells.

That's why it's perfect. V resolves their quest to become the ultimate wizard and wield unimaginable power capable of solving any problem... by turning off all the magic so that the fighter can smack the bad guys, thus saving the world.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You guys seem a little confused? He made an exact copy of the old phylactery and gave it to Xykon, same warding spells and all. Then he changed the old phylactery to look different and kept wearing it as a holy symbol. He never claimed to have made a new phylactery, it's just supposed to be a new holy symbol.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You're misremembering. He got his backup holy symbol after the phylactery went missing, which has a distinct square design. When the original was recovered, he placed it in a bag and on his person, while he gave Xykon the copy to stow away. He continued wearing the square symbol for the remainder of book 5, but was wearing a round symbol since his first appearance in book 6.

There's no narrative reason for his holy symbol changing shape to match that of Xykon's phylactery unless it having that shape is pertinent to the story. There was nothing wrong with his square symbol, and if Rich just wanted a different shape for the new art style, literally anything other than a round white gem on a yellow circle could have accomplished that without confusing the issue.

Possible but unlikely that he just forgot, however I am 99% sure that Redcloak just swapped from his backup holy symbol to the actual phylactery. The question is; given that Xykon doesn't appear to have noticed, did Redcloak dispel all the enchantments and wards on it? Because I feel like he'd pick up on how well-warded Redcloak's new holy symbol is.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ImpAtom posted:

It is also entirely possible he knows but doesn't care because he has the secret ace card of the MitD eating him and spitting out the phylactery up his sleeve.

Considering the effort he went to to put his phylactery in a pocket dimension, I think he would care.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

jng2058 posted:

He wouldn't be able to sense poo poo, though. That's why they needed all those hobgobs searching the sewers by hand....at least one of the wards on it was Non-Detection which prevented any scrying or other magical sense from working on it.

Yeah, that's what I mean. He would probably notice that his holy symbol is super well-warded. The absence of sense is just as noteworthy as strongly sensing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

maltesh posted:

Redcloak and Xykon both know that members of the Order of the Stick have the information that, at least at one time, Redcloak used Xykon's phylactery as his Holy Symbol.

The thing around Redcloak's neck is almost certainly a decoy, because if it's real, and a situation arises where Redcloak is down, Xykon is up, the Order recovers the Real Phylactery from around Redcloak's his neck and destroys it, Xykon kills Redcloak and obliterates Gobbtopia, probably not in that order..

I guess O-Chul probably told them what his phylactery looks like, yeah, true