Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

melon farmer posted:

I'm unironically rooting for Team Xykon, he's literally more likable than the Order.

He seriously considered forcing Redcloak to sail a boat built from Hobgoblin corpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
That gate looks like the gate from the first Arc. Maybe they're rebuilding it?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

CobiWann posted:

I love how Sabine is just chilling there and barely acknowledges V's presence.

Yeah, for now. They will definitely interact within the next few strips, which will give us some juicy exposition about the fiend's plans from it.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Man, Rich loves making people outrun explosions.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
We get it, fighters suck. Wizards are the only true play style.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Blackheart posted:

Everything's alright as long as nobody's posting fake links that lead to Goblins.

And as long as there are no stupid alignment posts.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

mmkay posted:

Well it was supposed to take 7 weeks from the beginning of the book, but I have no idea how much time passed.
(at least two weeks, according to Durkon, when they found the Draketooth family).

At the latest, seven weeks. Belkar will take his last breath, ever, by the end of the year. He is not going die the very second the New Year's ball drops.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

sebmojo posted:

While I don't disagree with you in the wider sense, I quite like those being the four words. They are the right words (they eliminate a stupid diversion) to the right person (Kubota was evil as poo poo with no redeeming qualities) for all the wrong reason (V had no idea who Kubota was and callously snuffed him out, showing how flawed his understanding of power was in a way that reflected his own weakness and lack of understanding). The action that the words represent leads directly to Darth V by estranging her from her team. And having them be spells is a witty twist (better than repeating 'I', imo, even though that had a meaning of its own).

The fact that Rich has the four words being something else is irrelevant. The prophecy works either way, which is an important structural element of the tale as a whole.

I think the comic already covered this.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Lurdiak posted:

He's not truly immortal until he gets a coffin.

Yeah, then he will be immortal like Malack.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
It's also a really dumb prediction. The misunderstood, overly powerful child-monster on the bad guys side has a redemption during the climax and helps the good guys in their darkest hour? Wow, what a unique plot twist!

Edit: drat, is it a or an unique?

Earnestly fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 31, 2014

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
I sure hope Rich is doing fine.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Dr. Buttass posted:

Also, Fighter loses at drownball because he does a thing where he doesn't drown, but as the only survivor he inherits the title of champion.

I like you; You're funny.

But seriously, when did this turn into 8-bit theatre chat? I would be all about an 8bt retrospective thread, but this is not that.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Cliff Racer posted:

Ugh, people are discussing the Order of the Stick in the Order of the Stick? We can't have that, these treads exist for me to know when a new comic is out and any post that isn't just a link to one is awful.

Eh. Trying too hard. 3/10

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
We don't need to keep the thread alive. A new thread will be made with a new arc. And you can always post your dumb theories in there.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Cat Mattress posted:

Don't expect frequent updates, though.

You're posting in the Order of the Stick thread.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
I just voted this thread 1, and now I will unbookmark it.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
It's been a week since Xykon and Redcloak teleaported from the fourth gate, right? So presumably they're already at the gate preparing the ritual. Which if I recall correctly takes a couple of weeks to complete. Julio said it would take about 8-10 days for the ship to reach the north pole. So the order has maybe four days to get there, and then three days to stop it?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Capfalcon posted:

Will go and buy every piece of oots merch if true.

:toxx:

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
The orcs come in with Giggles and vote yes. Elan has effectively destroyed the world.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

e X posted:

:siren:Giving Up Hope:siren:

Is that an appropriate title or what?

edit: Also, gently caress YOU, Durkula!

quoting for new page.

Also, gently caress yeah!

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
I wouldn't be surprised if it's Redcloak on his own. Maybe he left Xykon at the gate. He would certainly be protected under the rules of the godsmoot, and it's necessary to the Dark One's plan that the world lasts long enough for him to get the bargaining chip. Plus it seems appropriate that Rich uses this situation of letting all the major gods speak to allow the Dark One an actual voice.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
This is it, isn't it?

Banjo

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Oh gosh, I just realized. These rats are our first random encounter in hundreds of strips.

Level appropriate too.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

ikanreed posted:

They're not random, though. They're plot-induced. You might as well call the Crystal golem a random encounter.

It's as close as this comic gets. The bandits were also plot induced, but still counted as a random encounter. Admittedly you're right about the crystal golem, but that had much more build up than a legion of rats.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
You're all right, okay? It's not literally a random encounter. My bad. I am more overwhelmed by the cuteness of the animal companions acting as a party and having a level appropriate combat encounter.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I was the artist in that pairing once, inasmuch as the term can be applied to sprite comics. The writer had been doing it on his own for a while but was starting to run into time/motivation issues, and I was like, I'll see how this story turns out if I have to painstakingly place every pixel myself, which was remarkably poor planning on my part but I didn't think I'd actually have to. Might not be the best example because a) I was always adamant that the whole thing was his show, and b) there's only so much you can do with sprites if you don't go really deep into custom pixel art, but I do like to think I brought something to the table every now and then.

Out of curiosity, what sprite comic was it? This sounds a lot like what happened with 8 easy bits.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Triple Elation posted:

Thanks guys. All your talk about other D&D-based webcomics awakened an ancient memory in me of how ages ago I read something called "A modest destiny" and it was funny and clever. So I went to actually re-read the first 20 strips or so and all I got out of it was a lot of cringe and a sum total of two faint chuckles. Now one of my core happy memories is lost, and comic-loving-island is hanging by a thread.

The guy behind A Modest Destiny is a nut. He's so protective of his pixel and video game ideas that he has picked various fights over other people "ripping off" his work. Someone used his pixel art as an avatar in the Penny Arcade forums, and his resulting poo poo fit got him blacklisted from a lot of the Web comic community.

Also, dude wrote a really bad rape scene. gently caress A Modest Destiny.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Quick, Look up every special attack of every monster! You heard the roach!

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Aumanor posted:

"No, you're a homophone" is going straight to the top of my list of favourite Belkar quotes, just below "ending a sentence with a semicolon"

I'm gonna need a link for that one.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Did Eugene's visit service the plot at all?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. It shut out the "why isn't Eugene bringing new imformation" loophole, revealed that everyone higher up is locking things down so prophecy in general is extremely difficult, opened up a potential loophole for Hel's plan which might be exploited later if not in the fashion he imagined, and probably has some trickle of information that will become more relevant later in the story.

Also humor.

Ah, that makes sense. I'm always just slightly disappointed when the main take away from a strip is how something can't happen, or why x character doesn't just do this. I suppose it comes with the territory when an author uses D&D rules to anchor their story.

Also, I agree they were funny, but I'm not here for the jokes. I'm here for serious fantasy plot done with stick figures.

Capfalcon posted:

Sure did. It showed how Roy's character arc has advanced to the point that he can have a conversation with his father without it devolving to a shouting match.

True, but I wouldn't consider characterization to be the same as plot.

Rygar201 posted:

Have you considered reading and thinking about the strip before asking these questions?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

ikanreed posted:

Do you think Rich is okay?

Emptyquote

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Stop talking about Goblins and/or alignment. What is wrong with you people?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Roy's inability to think outside the box strikes me as stereotypical for a fighter.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Yeah, I don't see the benefit of killing off belker now if Rich can milk two more books of his readers going, "this time he'll really die."

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Rumda posted:

Best he can hope for is an eternity chasing frog people

What? Is that for real? Sign me up!

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't see why Rich has to waste time establishing this when he could just post their character sheets.

:justpost:

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
I dunno, man. I'm willing to cut Rich a lot of slack. He definitely puts out a good piece of literature for free. Sure, he's slow to update, and he over-committed to the Kickstarter stretch goals. But lazy? Eh, I don't see it.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
I was pretty meh on this page as well, but I'm certainly not turned off by the mutiny subplot. The situation is going to escalate from ditching the PCs to the entire ship going down in flames because the people in charge are too busy bickering to keep it afloat. Sorta like how the gods are doing with the whole gate situation.

But I am still excited to see this arc end. The sooner the party gets off the airship, the sooner they can reunite with Replacement-Durkon. You might know him as O-Chul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Zoe posted:

Andi manages to be 3X as hateable, while not half as interesting as Miko and Celia combined.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you're way off the mark here.