Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Brainamp posted:

Huh, so it looks like we're getting shots of all their fantasies. But if that's the case, I wonder why Belkar is dead in all of them. Maybe it's a cumulative fantasy or some poo poo like that?

It is more likely that it's just inevitable in all of their heads -- Roy and Haley, at least, know that Belkar is going to die before the adventure is done, due to Oracle prophecy. Whether they want it to happen or not is irrelevant -- the fact that they know that it's going to happen factors into their vision of the future.

e:

Colonel Cool posted:

What did they fantasize happening with Durkon and Malack exactly? That Belkar was lying or what?

Yeah, that's what it looks like. In Roy's wish fulfillment dream, Belkar was lying and Durkon is still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, this is definitely still Roy's dream. If it was a shared hallucination (perhaps some sort of MUSH) then Elan would probably know his own mother's name.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, I was definitely wrong about the illusion just being Roy. I think most people expected Elan to break them out of the illusion if it was shared, but goddamn if I (at least) didn't expect Elan to drop the loving wisdom bomb on himself like he did in the process. drat.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Man, Elan must have had a natural 20 on his Song of Freedom roll, to break an epic illusion like that. :spergin:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:siren: Update: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0893.html - Closing In.

Looks like Haley got a sending. I bet it's word from the Azurites that Xykon is on the move.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

sebmojo posted:

Sendings are audible, aren't they?

Based on the way they've been handled in the comic before, they are only perceived by the person receiving the sending.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

The most worrying thing about this update is that Malack casted True Seeing. This will let him see through Elan's wall illusion, if they get within 120 feet of the Order. I'm not sure how big this chamber is, though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

This is actually a pretty good plan by Roy. Suicidal, but good. Here's what he has to do: The Order waits for Xykon to appear. Roy sits on Redcloak, using his new feat to keep Redcloak from casting Word of Recall, while telling Xykon what he intends to do. Xykon hears Roy, and figures, hey, my phylactery is on the Astral Plane, so if you blow up this gate and destroy my body, big deal, I'll regenerate in my fortress and just hoof it to the last gate on my own. This train of thought will keep Xykon from being personally invested in actually saving the gate, so it should be a simple task for the rest of the Order to destroy it. Plus, since the phylactery is actually on Redcloak's person instead of on the Astral Plane, it will most likely be destroyed along with everyone else at the gate, which discharges the blood oath and protects the world from Xykon. All in all, a very decent plan for Roy to think of. It will be interesting to see what breaks down and where.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mystic Mongol posted:

How did you read Roy's plan of, "I'mma break it" and come up with that rambling plan that (A) doesn't involve Roy breaking the gate, and (B) somehow hinges on not letting Redcloak word of recall back to a different city where he's no threat to anyone? ecause if there's a spell I want a near-epic cleric to cast, it's the one that gets rid of him.

Also there's no way Xykon would let that band of martial chumps take yet another gate away from him.

I'm assuming someone else can break the gate besides Roy. The operative idea is that he takes out both Xykon and Redcloak in a gate suicide bomb.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Naramyth posted:

Roy doesn't know about Redcloak's swap gambit though. I don't think he's going to wait that long to wreck the gate.

He doesn't have to. Last time the phylactery was seen (by V and O'chul), it was on Redcloak's person. They don't necessarily know that Xykon came up with a plan to hide it in the first place.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I love that the MitD's battle damage is shown as damage to his umbrella. That is hilarious.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oracle posted:

I think we're missing something... what happened to V?

Probably buried in the rubble/sand somewhere, unharmed, as per the IFC's plot dump.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Alchenar posted:

It's back around Redcloak's neck.

No, the diamond-shaped one is Redcloak's backup holy symbol. Xykon's phylactery is round.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Zz'drizt or whatever's speech bubble isn't gray in panel 7. I wonder if this was a mistake or if it counts as him yelling. :v:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Durkula teaming up with the Order is pretty likely at this point. Remember, he still has to make his way back to the Northern Lands to fulfill his prophecy, and guess where the Order is heading next?

(Assuming we don't get a TPK at this point. But, hey, maybe Durkon will raise them?)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

e X posted:

Also, someone refresh my memory of the Oots geography. Are the Darven Lands on the same continent as Durokan's Dungeon and Azure City, only further north or is the Northern Continent a separated landmass?

The Northern Lands are on the same continent as Azure City, yes. You can see a shot of the Oots world in this strip.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

The Rooster posted:

Will the flight spell allow Z to get out of melee range or is he boned?

Depends on Durkon's spell list, and how many hitpoints Z has. D will probably get another AoO when Z tries to withdraw, and if D has any more long-range spells prepared, it is tough to say.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

TheAceOfLungs posted:

On the other hand, it seems to me that the whole Mass Death Ward spell fired a big ol' blank. When Durkon cast it during the showdown with Malack, it didn't prevent Malak from turning him into a vampire. Belkar still got the stuffing knocked out of him, and Malak wasn't even trying to attack Mr. Scruffy. So after that whole montage of getting the spell and casting it, what good did it actually do? I wouldn't be surprised, then, if the staff gets snapped in half in a couple strips.

Mass Death Ward didn't prevent Durkon from turning into a vampire because Malack used a command word to dismiss the spell before he finished the job. Now that the only person (well, maybe besides Belkar?) who knows the command word is Durkon, it will be a much more useful spell.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Ahhh, so that gun is still loaded? Good to know. I'd thought that an undead wouldn't have any use for a Death Ward spell, what with actually being undead and everything. It's a bit like a snowman casting Fireball or Bigsby's Thermal Blanket, isn't it?

Well, if D joins back up with the Order and they go to take on Xykon, they will still have much use for it due to Xykon's preference for using Energy Drain on anything that is a threat. Though Xykon does have the Superb Dispelling epic spell...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

jng2058 posted:

I think you're underselling it. I was quite amused by Crystal's complete incompetence at trying to kill Haley "by accident". True, it's not deep or really required reading or anything, save in how it spurs Haley's decision to kill Crystal and steal her stuff but that's why it's bonus material. If anything that's a problem with Start of Darkness because there really is mission critical data to be found in there.

Eh, the big reveal in Start of Darkness was covered by the comic pretty recently.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

^^^^ :argh:

According to that, you can't open a gate between two points on the same plane. So either Tarquin had miss Ioun Stones take them on a detour to the astral plane, or it's a different spell.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

terminal mehmet posted:

That magnet is [...] crazy strong on top of looking good.

Yeah it is. Mine actually took a little of the paint off my fridge when I removed it prior to moving. I've since stuck it on a magnetized whiteboard attached to the fridge so Roy can actually be guarding the grocery list.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sefer posted:

She's a rogue; UMD is a class skill. Of course she can use them.

Assuming she's been putting skill points into UMD at all. The fact that she hasn't been burning through teleport scrolls to move the Order around (due to V having the spell in his barred schools) is kind of telling in that regard.

I suppose Elan could have it, too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Roland Jones posted:

Besides that, the Order being able to teleport around freely would dramatically alter a lot of the story. There's probably just not (m)any people out there writing Teleport scrolls; most people who would be using them are either A. People who can just cast Teleport (wizards we've seen) or B. People who can get other people to cast Teleport and the like for them (Shojo with his court wizard, Tarquin, etc.). Really, the criteria for a person who be buying Teleport scrolls are: Has the money to afford them, can't or won't have someone else cast Teleport instead, has access to Use Magic Device at a good enough rank, and has a pressing need to travel really long distances really quickly. Besides the Order, there are not many people who would fit all that.

NPC mooks seem to have them, so SOMEONE is writing them.

ConfusedUs posted:

Haley uses a scroll of Teleport in one of the print-only books. :)

:ms:

I guess I should buy Snips, Snails.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Colonel Cool posted:

Yet another amazing Tarquin moment. The subtle details I really enjoyed this time was how Tarquin's face doesn't change at all after the reveal while everyone else is shocked, and how he loving keeps one hand folded behind his back while stabbing Nale.

This is something I've noticed about Tarquin -- when he's getting his way or things are under his control, he folds his arms behind his back. It's his tell.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

mcswizzle posted:

It could be that the fiends think that the world on the other side of the rift is ripe for culling? And their angle is that they're trying to get people (the OotS) to destroy the gates willingly. The gate protected by the woods was burned by Redcloak, Dorukans gate was destroyed by Elan, AC gate was destroyed by Miko, and WC gate was destroyed by Roy. With the exception of the gate Redcloak destroyed (by magical fire) they've all been destroyed by someone in an attempt to keep it out of evil's hands. And I think that the gate Redcloak destroyed has only been alluded to (I don't have the books/extra strips) and so the specifics of that situation are unknown to me.

Lirian's gate was covered in Start of Darkness.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Maybe it just activates when you threaten, not crit. :iiam:

Or it happens when the plot deems it important. :v:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Is the Order 17th level, though? I don't think Durkula is gonna be gaining many more levels due to his ECL modifier on account of being a vampire.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

greatn posted:

Her greatest fantasy is power and murder, that we know of. Belkar's greatest fantasy is to chill out with a cat and an old man, cooking dinner.

Well, to be fair, Mr. Scruffy was also influencing that dream, so it's hard to say whether or not Belkar's wishes alone would have generated that specific scene.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Kajeesus posted:

I don't think Durkon has access to his domain spells from Thor right now. :smith:

Tarquin is gonna bite it within three strips. I'm calling it.

"Thor's Might" is actually just the spell Righteous Might, just with the Thor flavor. :drac:kon can probably still prepare it, but it won't be called "Thor's Might" specifically.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Shwqa posted:

It takes 2 weeks to vampire someone normally. Xykon is at the next gate today.

Durkon's carrying Malack's Staff Of Convenient Spells, so he can probably raise any corpse he wants as a vampire thrall instantly.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Noah posted:

Why do I think Laurin's favor is of the sexual kind?

Because you're a pervert. :shrug:

I think her favor is buying a ticket for her daughter to the Eastern Continent, or some other safety-guaranteeing measure.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hey, if Tarquin manages to force an engagement here, maybe Roy can put that spellcaster stomping feat to use shutting down one of the casters. Maybe it'll even work!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

One wrinkle here in the Order's favor are the wands that Haley looted from Zz'dtri. It's highly likely that they are wands that will be useful against casters, due to Zz'dtri's build being rabidly anti-caster, which means she may be able to use them to shut down one of the casters.

Lets see if she remembers them. :v:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Dr Pepper posted:

To be fair, I don't think it's actually possible to kill O-Chul.

Getting dunked into an acid tank with an acid-breathing shark, a fall of several dozen feet, and a Ray of Frost got him pretty close. :v:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Not to mention that clerics who reach a high enough level to cast 9th level spells are exceedingly rare in the comic. Redcloak is probably the only one in the entire world.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FMguru posted:

Some of the wide shots featuring the sky seem to be hinting that dusk is coming soon, which gives Durkula his full slate of spells again.

He'll have to spend time in supplication to whatever deity or power he prays to now in order to regain his spells, however, so it's unlikely to affect the current battle.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Haley's True Resurrection quip was before she had to spend several months drag-assing across the entire eastern continent trying to find a cleric who could cast normal Resurrection. I would imagine she'd be quite disabused of the idea now.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Wow, the Order just shut down a spellcaster capable of casting 8th level spells. He's probably not coming back, either, not until he can get healed up.

I wonder if this psionic attack deals damage. If so, Belkar is probably a goner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Colonel Cool posted:

Why did Roy make "Hold out against the army until dusk" his plan if Durkon actually needed 9 hours of rest and study to prepare new spells, though?

I think it was more "survive until dusk."