Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dame Cook posted:

You seem to have fortuitously avoided the 3.5 entitlement culture, where WOTC's approach was very much 'if we publish it, it's allowed, and the DM has no say in the matter'.
Looks like it's just the same in current 4E, though, look at how almost every D&D forum is up in arms about what the radically new way Magic Missile works implies for every other mechanic in the game (whereas, say, my approach was "haha no we're keeping the old Magic Missile").

But anyway as for the storyarc, I'm sure Malack suffers from a harmless and perfectly legitimate medical condition that requires him to eat special food that is 100% ethically acceptable and that he has to eat in private because they can in no way just specially prepare it to serve to one of the kingdom's leading religious figures at an official state dinner. Because him going back to his study to enjoy some filet de fetus seems a tad too obvious.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pretty much! But since 4E has a lot of effects that specifically key off rolling for an attack or damage, people are/were debating a whole lot about whether those still apply to what is basically a Wizard's standard attack, whether it's fair if they don't, and also whether changing the way a power works not for mechanical reasons, but to restore the familiar flavour (like the errata said) was justified in the first place.

But to be honest I didn't actually follow every argument, I just noticed a whole lot of threads about Magic Missile on the official Wizards forums and elsewhere round the time the errata came out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oh hey what's this

Mainly Belkar being Belkar but it wouldn't surprise me if there actually was a way to do the tiger thing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

New comic!

So many Sending gags.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

New episode!

... eh, I dunno. I think I like Haley better when she's tough and acts sensibly and isn't just the requisite girl character who cares about shoes and hair. Oh well, couldn't find anything to complain about in the last few hundred episodes, I guess it's about due.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

But I thought the dramatic convention was that the girl has to be traumatized by the loss of her hair and overcome it later. This is like double lampshading what's going on here!

Although I guess this does highlight Haley's opportunism. First brush the minor inconvenience aside, but take an opportunity to improve things. Fine, that works.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tyrinaria I saw coming. This, not so much. And I think I have a dramatically appropriate idea who Roy might be set to fight. :ohdear:

Also, a possible return of the old "red strikes true" prophecy from the first, what, 20 episodes or so?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

#131, first proper mention of Tyrinaria and Haley's dad.

For reference, Elan and Nale's backstory, including who we now know is Tarquin and what people have speculated for a while might be Tyrinaria's flag, and the business with the prophecy was mentioned here, here and here. Then again this seems a long time to call back even for Burlew so I'm gonna assume he just put Ian's nickname in the latest one as an additional reminder who this dude is.

e: dammit all this revealed and we didn't even get to Elan's surprise.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love this comic and everything about it.

Yes that includes the boring setup episodes because usually they set up things like this.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0747.html

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tarquin: somehow not even the main villain.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rich Burlew actually pretty much said the Oracle's placement (and by extension probably everyone else's, too) has nothing to do with allegiance to factions except a very general good/bad split or with characters directly opposing each other - apart from the Linear Guild where that's their whole concept - but everything with image composition. He simply needed a small character to visually balance out Belkar.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 1, 2010

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh dear, I think I'm starting to get the idea about Malack's children. :drac:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The first few panels make it look like they're running right along the parade route. That seems like it would be kind of awkward even without the part where they're also arguing about the best way to murder one or several high state officials.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Antimagic fields only suppress effects, so yeah, she does. That's what the "half an hour" line is about, too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

inthesto posted:

I've always found it strange how players actually enjoy circumventing half of an adventure with a single skill check.
Apparently I tend to do it without even meaning to and also only with ideas. In one game I played there were two nobles set to get married in a few days, and we had a stack of letters that proved that there had been some serious irregularities about the disappearance of the noblewoman's former lover, heavily involving the nobleman. So we thought about different methods to get to her on her heavily guarded ship for a bit, and then I said "actually, this might sound stupid, but they're letters, let's send her just one by regular mail with a note saying 'there's more about this but it's too complicated to explain in a note, let's meet up' and see where that goes." Whoops I circumvented half the sidequest.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"The Fatherland." That's fantastic.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ian's got it wrong. Smart people are absolutely cut out to be gladiators. Their potential in the arena is directly proportional to how much they understand about the warlord's convoluted scheme.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In actual games, this is by far my favourite way to handle discussions with stubborn NPCs.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

OOOOOOH YES ARENA FIGHTS IT'S ON NOW

OOOOOOH YES ARENA FIGHTS it will be on in one of the next, hmmm, let's say eight episodes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I agree but if I know my narrative conventions, Enor's fate is sealed. :ohdear:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Welp, never thought I'd see that sort of thing in this comic.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A succinct and accurate summary of the situation from the bard.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ashenai posted:

:wtc:

Okay, what the hell was Rich Burlew supposed to have done, exactly?
Jim Profit got banned from the GitP forums for trolling and reporting the local LGBT thread because he's an insane homophobe. Pretty much the entire story although googling "Jim Profit" Burlew reveals a view of reality skewed on a frightening magnitude.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wealth by level.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Doesn't look like Thog at least.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That axe has such a characteristic shape that if it was Thog's or any other familiar character's, Burlew wouldn't have needed to bother putting a helm on them either. It's a setup for a big reveal alright but I'm gonna guess it's more along the lines of "holy poo poo it's easily identifiable creature X with STR 38!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Welp I was entirely wrong and I'm glad for it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

While that's technically true, that priest was Durkon.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hooooly poo poo, magnificent. And it answers another long-standing question, too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All my groups play exactly the same way whether it's 3.5 or 4E night, and any noncombat situation I can think of resolves practically the same way and much on the same level of effectiveness. On an average evening people will roll a Bluff or Diplomacy check every now and then, sometimes someone will have to scout ahead rolling for Stealth/Move Silently or Climb/Athletics, and occasionally the wizard happens to have a spell or ritual handy that makes a situation easier to handle. The only difference is how fun the combat is. I guess we're accidentally doing something right?

(we do leave out skill challenges in 4E cause they're bollocks, maybe it's that)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In which Vaarsuvius figures something out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alchenar posted:

If Nale was the one scrying them then he'd know why there were in the desert. Nale's been in contact with one of Girard's gang, which will be the hook to get back onto the main plot after this sub-plot is over.
That could still be the case, but Zz'dtri's spells have the same colour aura that the scrying sensor had, so that was definitely him.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0789.html

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Until you guys mentioned him just now I had seriously forgotten Durkon exists.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Hey, will Haley have been awake and aware of her surroundings whilst stoned?
Spell description for Flesh to Stone specifies "turned into a mindless statue." Probably not if Rich is going by that.

e: vvv yeah, I'm guessing this is why he popped back up just now.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Put them all in a line and you can even launch the arrow.