Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Haley and Belkar are probably stuck in Azure city with Roy's corpse either waiting for everyone's favorite androgynous elf to contact them but Xykon has the entire city cut off magically or they are trapped there because Xykon's spell seals the city physically.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 25, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The Werle posted:

Anybody who complains about OotS's pacing clearly never was a regular reader of Sluggy Freelance. In comparison Rich could smear poo on his tablet and still have better pacing and editorial restraint.

Yes, there being something worse out there always justifies things. If you think my Buffy self-insertion fanfic is bad you must never have read Dave's Buffy self-insertion fanfic.

I don't think anything is wrong with the pacing, yet. If the tension build up doesn't pay off well enough then I'll change my mind.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I bet the "right words at the right time to the right person" are to the dragon and not the imp just to gently caress with us.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

How much would half a dead V weigh?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

You'd figure saving your kids and uh, civil union partner would be far off the "for all the wrong reasons" track.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

CK07 posted:

Has no-one else noticed that the physical site of the most destructive power in this campaign just happens to look like a big hairy pussy?

So does every crack in reality ever depicted in any visual medium. It's a given that it's a giant glowing vagina. Just like all aliens are moist/slimy.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Does your alignment stop fluctuating once you kick the bucket or do we have the chance of sweet sweet karma kicking Roy's Dad's rear end down to one of the lower plains once he's out of limbo?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

bison wings posted:

but isn't the very idea of "immortality" turned on its head though? Even the Endless know that someday they will cease to exist. And that guy who got crushed, when he asked if he did well living so long, Death said "You had the same as everyone does, one lifetime."

Nerd correction that's what Death said to the baby she took in her first Sandman appearance.

Immortality always sucked when I thought about it. Everything you know and love slowly disapering while you just keep going. Some people probably don't see it that way but I would never want to live forever.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Zoolooman posted:

There will be more people to love, and you will have time enough to love them all.

Except I wasn't really talking about people it's why I used everything not everyone. We're used to losing people but watching the civilization and culture that birthed you die out and society slowly becoming so alien to you that you might as well no longer be human would suck. A few centuries is nothing millennia is where it starts to breakdown.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 17, 2009

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

ZorbaTHut posted:

I mean, obviously we can't know because nobody is immortal, but I really think immortality is one of those deals where you get out approximately what you put in, only magnified.

It'd be intellectually fascinating but emotionally devastating. I'm not enough of a scientist to separate myself from what could be the grandest experiment of all time. Though I imagine most fantasy writers aren't either so that explains the Immortality sucks curve.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

bartolimu posted:

I think we can be confident the gate is in the general area, since they were found before Girard had the power to set up that kind of illusion and they're immobile enough to force the layout of the Sapphire Guard's throne room. I do find the rest of this theory amusing, though.

Maybe it is concealed in the statue's butt/mouth by crafting the statue around it. The sapphire throne room had to be built up to meet the gate and the statue is built near the top of a giant pyramid.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

NihilCredo posted:

He's also Small-sized. That would be what, -4 to hit and damage?

Yeah but since it's a +5 axe it evens out to a +1, or something.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

And wholly unrealistic.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Neraren posted:

Level Adjustment of +8.

Belkar's an epic level character now.

E:
VVV Just because he wasn't munchkinized before doesn't mean he was ineffective. He is a sexy shoeless god of death after all.

You know that guy, the one that's never made a good build his entire life but the dice love him? That's Belkar.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

No kidding!

Brave Sir Digit Knight rides again.

Sir Digit's need for physical therapy is probably one reason we are getting updates this frequently, he's got to relearn to use it and exercise it and drawing is pretty much perfect for that. My physical therapist recommended I start drawing when I broke my hand as a teenager.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Is Thor actually an aligned deity? I thought Norse gods were all pretty much "Alignment? Whatever go kill and or die in glorious battle or something."

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

They kinda explained Durkon's lack of character development in his death scene, he's already developed. He saw himself an old fatherly figure trying to look after what he sees as a bunch of messed up kids with good hearts so he apparently already had his grand life changing adventure before they got together.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Sefer posted:

Elan gets a happy ending, and being killed off now doesn't seem to qualify.

Well wouldn't he be happy if his death inspired his father to take a twilight years redemption face turn and fights Xykon to save the world?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

I read Malack's "secret" grapple technique as just another way of saying "I took Improved Grapple", which is totally a real thing.

I read it as, "I'm a snake with arms, surprise!" In practice his secret technique was coiling around Durkon with just his body/tail which left Malack's hands free to do whatever he wanted.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

jng2058 posted:

What we have here is a situation where about the only thing that could save them from the New and Improved Linear Guild would be the arrival of Xykon, Redcloak, and MitD.

I can see this resolving in a three way battle where the order is essentially batted aside so the big boys can fight it out and then have to try to get to the next gate. The likelihood of the story ending with their being another gate in play is slim but not impossible.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 6, 2013

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Who is the Lawful Evil Norse deity in D&D anyway?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

bartolimu posted:

Necklace of Adaptation. He'll never need oxygen again.

(That doesn't work because respiration is required to speak, and a mute Belkar is no fun at all, but it's fun to throw out more speculation.)

Ring of Psionics. Boom.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

That was easily 2d6 of ice burn.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Beyond any deeper motivation do you think Tarquin would pass up a chance at sworn vengeance against those that killed his best friend?

He probably keeps a separate set of armor and weapons just for gearing up montages.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

greatn posted:

Friendship is just another method of control for Tarquin. You shouldn't believe he actually cares about anyone.

Even if it is Tarquin is not going to turn down the chance for an awesome revenge kick.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

At least it's reminding people that Roy is an egotistical rear end at his core.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Belkar is trying to pour healing potions down V's throat after Roy essentially disemboweled him/her thanks to the Xykon illusion.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Ponsonby Britt posted:

But this isn't real life; it's a fantasy setting. It doesn't inherently have to be bound by the social norms of our society.

For instance, for centuries, women were kept out of the important roles in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, and they still are in many denominations. Religions are a huge driver of social norms; if men are the only people who can shape those norms, then the norms are going to be more misogynist. But in D&D, so far as we see, women aren't kept out of religious roles; it would be pretty hard to argue that Thor doesn't want women priests, if Thor is granting women the power to cast Cure Light Wounds. So logically, to the extent that religion -> misogyny, a D&D world should be an explicitly less misogynist place.

I believe you mean when some evil deity is granting them the ability to cure wounds as well as deceiving all alignment checking skills and spells to shake the faith of true believers. It's not like in our world when women used "miraculous abilities" they weren't burned at the stake for colluding with the devil while men were seen as being living saints for the doing the same poo poo.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Mystic Mongol posted:

Gender issues in <niche> threads tend to do... poorly, on Something Awful. Eventually a bunch of people get banned, a new subforum has a rule about not discussing them at all, and the threads disappear into whatever hellhole is hidden behind the Comedy Gas Chamber.

Proceed with caution.

I can give you the cliff notes of how they go. The artist's duty is first and foremost to the story and attempts to breach subjects they are undereducated about benefits neither the story nor the subject. Any attempt to inject gender issues by those with only a Wikipedia skimming or college entry level course level understanding of them ends up an insulting farce that goes against the core creative concept of write what you know.

What you end up with when somebody with cursory knowledge of gender issues tries is a straight-faced version of Stong female character

The core problem is societal and that's the tail that gets chased until it devolves into a series of ad hominem attacks where everybody is a white knight or an MRA.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Can you dispel magic item effects? Malack mentioned his immunity to daylight is artifact based.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Huh I could have sworn he mentioned getting Durkon a magic item with protection from daylight when Durkon wandered into the sun but re-reading it's not there.

I still think Nale is dead meat, Tarquin doesn't value him at all and would probably kill Nale even if he won against Malack just to give Elan a shake your fist at the heavens and swear vengeance moment.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

That's predictable and disappointing, I guess strip seniority beats out actually being interesting.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Nale will live because Rich thinks people care or should care about Nale.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

sebmojo posted:

That's a weird thing to say. The characters tend to act as they've been written. Aside from rules-based interventions, like when the spell-casters get removed so they don't break the plot (which has started to get a little eye-rolly, but that's 3.5e D&D for you) Rich plays it pretty straight. Nale beat Malack because he was smart and ruthless and Malack got sloppy.

He's been vocal about the story trumping the rules several times. It's a framework but something he's willing to bend or break.

I'm not versed enough in the rules to be all Oh bullshit about Malack but it's seems like a waste because even after killing a good villain I still just don't care if Nale lives or dies.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The way I see it depends on how Rich chooses to interpret Thor, Old School Norse god Thor or painted on the side of a van Thor.

Because a Vampire Dwarf Cleric is probably metal enough for painted on the side of a van Thor to approve of.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Belkar dies because Durkula uses him as a human shield proving that Durkula is not the same person but Roy shrugs it off anyway.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

ikanreed posted:

I've noticed that every single new page brings with it a "here's how Belkar dies next page" post since they arrived on the western continent.

Gotta play the odds man one of us might be right and then we'll win the greatest gift of all, smug self-satisfaction.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Tarquin is probably going to confront Elan about not being the leader and not actually being all that useful in the pyramid fight. After that it's a toss up on how Tarquin decides to motivate Elan to be better attempt to kill all or some of the order or kill Nale. I hope it's Nale because he's a boring midboss that's outlived his niche and Nale dying with his story unresolved and plot hooks dangling would make him a better motivator to Elan and Tarquin should know that.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The OotS leaves, Tarquin turns to Nale, and says "Now let's talk about my vampire buddy who I can't help but notice isn't here, and also you have some ash on your cheek, there."

Nale is never seen again.

Nope. This was basically the only real chance Tarquin had to off Nale and take his place as eventual big bad of Elan's story. Nale is going to kill Tarquin, probably try to run the Blank Empire scam, fail, then go after the Oots again and maybe kill Belkar, then fail some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Ursine Asylum posted:

I really hope he doesn't from a storytelling standpoint, just because Nale really doesn't feel threatening and even killing Tarquin won't help that (much).

At this point I'm pretty sure Nale is meta commentary on DM's that can't let that one character they'd plotted out to be the nemesis go even after the party has gone off in a completely different direction and moved into another weight class.

:reject:"You enter the room to find your arch-nemisis Nale waiting for you!"
:confused: "Who?"
:reject: "Nale! he's your bard's evil twin, he's plauged you throughout you adventures!"
:confused: "Thay guy we beat like at the start of the campain?"
:reject: "You didn't beat him! He let you win it was part of his plan!"

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 19, 2013