Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Shugojin posted:

Tarquin probably feels a great fatherly pride in his son while viewing him as the means to an end.

He wants to be defeated by a hero in a grand battle and go down in legend, and he is drat proud that his son seems to have independently set himself up to fill that role.

Hell, following that train of thought, for someone who "gets" the game as much as Tarquin, being able to choose that his son is the most likely hero to defeat him is an even greater reason to help him with his quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
So, I think I found something interesting.. With what we know now, it seems less and less likely that he was lying about the contents of the gate. The question is: how true is it, and if it's accurate, how does he know what he does?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
New comic's up: A Study in Viridian

Niton fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 19, 2012

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

MikeJF posted:

Aaand another one's up. That was fast. Especially 'cos it's a doozy

Jesus. That is.. I don't want to say that it's unneccesarily brutal, but it's incredibly brutal nontheless. It's a testament to the power of offscreen that it comes off so horribly. This definitely makes me hope that one of those $1250 donors is thinking the same way as us and wants to know what the hell was wrong with her.

Niton fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 23, 2012

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
^^^ drat you, I was sourcing :argh:

Zore posted:

Turn undead is incredibly situational, note that this is about the first time we've seen it seriously used and there are two Clerics as main cast members. Now, there are a ton of ways to abuse the poo poo out of turn undead by using it to power certain expensive metamagics, particularly persist which lets all those tasty 1/round per level and 1/minute per level spells last 24 hours. Clerics have a lot of really, really good short term melee buffs.

Second time, technically - during the attack on Soon's Gate, Redcloak and Jirix used their Rebuke Undead ability to turn positive energy spirits in the same way Turn Undead destroys regular undead.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

The Rooster posted:

Is the copy also a holy symbol? Becuase it would be really awkward if at some point Xykon expects Redcloak to cast a spell with it.

It should be - when Redcloak lost the Phylactery to begin with, he went to his study to pick up his backup holy symbol. Now he's back with his original holy symbol, but the backup should still work fine.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Sefer posted:

I can't help but wonder if the fact that the new one seems to be intact, while the old one had part of the necklace snapped off, is going to be a problem when he tries to pass this one off as the original.

While it's as simple as saying "I had one of our craftsmen fix the chain before I brought it down", I can't help but think you might be on to something.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Pretty tempted to up my pledge to $26/29 (from $10) for Origin of PCs or Start of Darkness. Anyone know (a) if they'd be cheaper to buy back in print or (b) wanna recommend one over the other?

Start of Darkness is a fantastic book and will help explain a LOT about what's going on in the comic right now. Origin of PCs is also a good book, but I enjoyed Start of Darkness way more.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

HKR posted:

This doesn't even include poorcraft.

Presumably that's because Poorcraft is from December 2009, which is not 2011 (or 2010!)

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Welp, in for $35. Once I realized the orders included shipping, it felt like a much easier choice since the books wind up cheaper than if you ordered them + the PDFs seperately!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

DrakePegasus posted:

Just in case you needed more incentive to throw in :10bux: than O-chul's freakin' backstory AND a special, high-detail story featuring Julio Scoundrel, you should know that the second Mystery Prize has been unlocked.

Now alongside those stories everybody with at least a $10 pledge will get to read Dim Sun, an copyright-friendly alternate universe story where the Order of the Stick adventure in a desert land that hates all that is good and living. And Durkon has no beard. And V is a...bug...thing.

Also, that :10bux: buys you the 3 other stories that are going to be chosen by the $1,250 donors, so you'll wind up with a total of six (6!) stories - it's an insane deal. We don't know what those stories are going to be, but I would place money on Tsukiko being one of them given how the comic's gone recently.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

LightWarden posted:

Don't Split The Party has been added to the bonuses. If you want to drop some money and get the whole signed series, now's the chance.

And he's already out of those (and only has 7 left of the super signed package!)

The draw of OotS is far bigger than I had ever imagined.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Eesh. 8 hours ago, the funding was at $260,000, now it's $1500 $500 away from the $300,000 Mystery prize!

And we're there :stare:. Burlew's running out of things to throw at us!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Colonial Air Force posted:

Anyway to get all the books and stories including SoD, Origins, and S/S?

The $222 reward is all 7 books, if you're feeling that feisty.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Calaveron posted:

I'm definitely pledging $10, but I'm going to wait until the last day or so to see if he adds any more goodies to the pot.
What I don't get is, even if I live in Mexico, will he ship the magnet free of charge? I ask because further down he asks Canadian/Mexican pledgers to add $7 for S&H.

e: Yes.

Do I need to pledge more for just magnets if I live outside the US? posted:

No. The magnets will be mailed regular First Class, rather than Priority Mail, and the difference between the domestic and international rates is under a dollar. We're just eating that cost to keep things simple. One caveat, though: First Class is a lot slower than Priority Mail, so people who order a book and a magnet will get their package before people who order just a magnet—even though the magnet-only packages will probably be mailed first!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

sfwarlock posted:

I am trying to convince myself not to pull all 7 books for $223.

That's only $31 each... :suicide:

Also, shipping on each book if you were to order them individually is like $6 each, so it's probably cheaper to just binge on all 7 here than to order piecemeal.

Wait, you said you wanted HELP? None of that here, we want our Mystery Prizes #4-infinity, damnit.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Colon V posted:

I think I'm going to pledge $29. I read Start of Darkness once before (friend bought it), and it absolutely blew me away, so having it myself would be great. Plus, the $10 pledge by itself would be a great purchase, so the way I see it, I'm paying $20 for a book I already wanted.

EDIT: Unfortunately, it seems my credit union's site is down for maintanance, so I can't make the transfer from saving to checking that I'd need to keep up my respectable buffer. When does the thing end?

February 21st. Start of Darkness is easily the best of the books, and I think anyone who enjoys OotS owes it to themselves to read it, if not own it outright.

Also, the new mystery prize has been announced!

Rich posted:

Sir Francois and the Dragon (featuring his herald, Elan!) Readers of On the Origin of PCs will know that before Elan traveled with Roy, Haley, and the others, he served as the (un)trusty herald for stalwart knight Sir Francois. When the pair find themselves in a village where young women are sacrificed to the local dragon, they are determined to put an end to the beast's depredations...and with a premise THAT clichéd, something is bound to go horribly, painfully wrong.

No more story rewards, but the next milestones are probably going to be merchandise.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Cabbit posted:

I don't think Xykon could pull that one off.

Wouldn't "The Mystic Theurge that I had researching an arcane ritual for me" be unambiguous in that context? There's only one of those.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

sansuki posted:

No need to be cruel about that :(

Can someone rewrite the donations levels to show what all you get at each level? I am super curious about getting a book AND A poo poo TON of other stuff.

- The Roy fridge magnet
- O'Chul story
- Julio Scoundrél story
- Dim Sun
- Sir Francois & Elan story
- (at 375k) Protagonist + Redcloak + Xykon stickers (for book/poster and higher donations)
- (at 387.5k) OotS Notepad (for book/poster and higher donations)
- 3x short stories about characters chosen by three large donors

Niton fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 2, 2012

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Right, I had bought a book so I didn't even think about that. I'll edit the post to reflect it :downs:. It's still an absolutely fantastic deal, and because of that I would recommend that anyone who hasn't bought in definitely should.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Shugojin posted:

He'd understand the sentiment of killing someone to keep your position secure, at least.

(Start of Darkness spoilers below)

It also repeats Redcloak's narrative in a way, because this wouldn't be the first time he killed an ally who changed their mind about him.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Casao posted:

I cannot imagine a web comic getting nearly half a million dollars like this, and estimating anywhere near that is insane.

This is one of the best possible uses of Kickstarter, to be fair - it's effectively a massive preorder for the thousands of donators, on top of the actual objective. Kickstarters like this definitely have very high upper bounds. Rich is a very modest person, though, and I'm not surprised at all that he couldn't have imagined a turnout anything like this.

If only we could get Tea-san to do a kickstarter (or, for that matter, it was even legal for him to). The Gunnerkrigg books are almost as impossible to get in print as the OotS ones were a couple of weeks ago.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Casao posted:

It doesn't put a hold on cards in any way, shape or form, FYI. It's an authorization from you to Amazon to withdraw the funds sometime in that range. It doesn't touch your bank account until the day the Kickstarter ends.

I would guess that the people donating are statistically far more likely to have the money than random people would be, given that they're purchasing things that they want and not just generically donating for the cause. I'd be shocked if Burlew loses more than 1 or 2% at most.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
We've got a new update. Nothing too interesting, but there are pictures of the Order of the Stickers and the notepad, and Rich is hoping for an update by 6PM EST tomorrow on the logistics of the other prize he wants to have available.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Cabbit posted:

So I finally threw in ten bucks for the project. If he adds in new stuff that people at the ten dollar level get after I committed, do I get that retroactively or am I SOL?

Always retroactive - everyone at $10, starting from day 1 on, has all of the $10 rewards.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

SuperKlaus posted:

That is cool but I have to indulge in a sperg moment: the Order's already like 14th level or something. Even acknowledging that the comic sometimes moves really slowly, I wonder what power level they'll reach with three more years of activity!

I mean like he'll need to switch to 4th Edition just to take advantage of a 30-level long progression instead of 20! Hah.

I don't think there's anything preventing the Order from eventually becoming epic-level adventurers, is there? Assuming nothing kills them on the way there, it'd be nice to see some low-level dorks actually advance the whole way in a single story, instead of just getting placed there.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

It's subject to change, but at the moment, the three bonus "Character of your Choice" PDF's will be about Therkla, the Cliffport Cops ("some sort of cop show parody"), and Belkar, Pre-OOTS days.

Man, I know it's buyer's choice and all, but you'd really have to try to think of a worse trio of choices with all of the interesting characters in the OOTS-verse.

At least Belkar's will be interesting, maybe.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

NihilCredo posted:

SoD spoiler: Xykon was always evil, too, but his origin story was still interesting.

Continued spoilers: Well, yeah - but he's a lich, a powerful once-human caster. By definition, he was something different before, whereas Belkar is just a halfling

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Alchenar posted:

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that Xykon is a lich.

Well, yeah, but the point was to not ruin the context of the rest of the spoilers :shobon:

Maybe a lot of us don't care at this point, but there's probably someone reading the thread who just bought SotD and is now waiting for Rich to process his 25,000 books in orders.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Some people think that the statue is Girard via Flesh-to-Stone, and it could be, but I think they're forgetting about perspective - that statue is much larger than a person.

That begs another question, to me - would an egotistical epic-level illusionist use some form of Enlarge to make his statue appear more impressive? I suspect that he might.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Brannock posted:

:smug:

That said, wow. I half expected Burlew to toss another twist at us after so many people guessed it would be Familicide. I wonder how Roy is going to react to having a second Evil character in the party, he already barely tolerates Belkar.

I would imagine he's been planning this for dozens if not hundreds of strips - a lot of good writers do this kind of world-building way ahead of actually writing things out.

That said, I can't imagine that this will end well for V, especially after hiding the source of his power like that.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

wdarkk posted:

Do you think this is the gate where the IFC will take control, or will that be the next one?

I think poetic justice demands that V tells the Order as little as she possibly can, only for the IFCC to come out and destroy their chances at protecting Girard's gate.

V will have to explain exactly what the gently caress just happened and it's a plausible place for Belkar to die - "Oh, and that halfling you hate? We're not all bad, so we'll let you kill him too."

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

NihilCredo posted:

So... if Girard himself had indeed been turned into a statue (presumably willingly, since his clan easily had the resources to free him otherwise), would that have protected him from the Familicide?

Also, I'm no entomologist, but the explanation for the bugs seems odd to me. If they had been attracted by the smell, even if they then couldn't spot the corpse without sight, surely over the course of a couple of weeks they would have bumped into them?

e2: Ooh, I noticed a nice touch! The schedule isn't rotating, that is, every family member is tasked with the same spell every day. Which makes perfect sense for a clan of sorcerers with fixed spell lists!

There are Illusion-school spells which mask the scents of an area - Mirage Arcana, the first spell on the daily recast-list, says so right in the description: "The illusion includes audible, visual, tactile, and olfactory elements."

I would guess that the bugs just couldn't figure out what the smell was once they got there, so they just kind of milled around.

e: The full spell list:

Gina: Mirage Arcana
Orrin: Phantasmagoria
Sami: Screen
Kanta: Shifting Paths
Venna: Shifting Paths
Tiran Sr.: Illusory ? (Pit? Script abbreviated?)
Tiran Jr.: Misdirection
Dylan: False Vision
Liana: Wall of Gloom

Niton fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 29, 2012

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

crime fighting hog posted:

Refresh my memory, the Order doesn't know what V did, correct?

Correct - as far as we know, the only being who I think knows anymore more than just 'powerful' is Blackwing, who was by default by V's side when she made the choice. Even if V might not speak up about it, there's a chance that Blackwing might act on his own.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Calaveron posted:

Basically V's player should be getting some sweet roleplaying XP right about now.

If I were the DM, I wouldn't allow any roleplaying XP on the grounds that the painful memories he's experiencing are too high level.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Strudel Man posted:

Well, it can't require living people all along the chain, or else it couldn't have passed from the black dragon founder through the already-deceased draketooths to the currently-living draketooths.

Also, (I edited this into the last page, but it bears repeating here, since people are probably not going to see it there), the draketooth family wouldn't even be in the 'second tier' as described, unless the family was actually founded by the dragon on whom V cast the spell. Which I don't believe is the case?

We don't know for sure - it could also be the daughter or grand-daughter of an older, still-living dragon who was the progenitor of the Draketooth Clan. I think it's quite plausible that the Draketooths had some very close relation to that specific dragon.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Factor_VIII posted:

If he was forced to write all that, then I guess that the shitstorm that strip generated on his forums was orders of magnitude worse than the response in this thread.

Look at the top right corner of that link and you'll know all you need to about how bad it was.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

ConfusedUs posted:

And yet this is still better than that horrible one-page derail about Durkon's accent.

I think that derail is probably the worst derail i've ever seen, period, because it wasn't even about anything.

On a somewhat related to alignment note, is there any kind of creature which radiates an aura that makes other creatures around it detect as only Good? I was thinking of a setpiece featuring villains using a creature like that, but I don't know if that's something that already exists or would need to be created.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Grognards link, but you can start reading about it here. It goes pretty deep, and the dude's kind of hosed up, but leave it elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

terminal mehmet posted:

I ordered Snips,Snails & Dragon Tails and the coloring book and got them plus all the bonus material.

That's what I ordered, but I haven't recieved notification or books yet :/