Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Oh my god, and he's in a purple loincloth too. Excellent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
For anybody reading from early in the thread wondering whether the Erfworld guy really is that creepy, the main Erfworld page is now advertising for something called the The Geeky Kink Event

Yeah.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I hope you remember your PIN number.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
So, that Erfworld guy has resorted to basically writing erotic fanfiction of his own story. Yeah.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Wait what were the Hobgoblins looking for? Has it been mentioned??

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

Alchenar posted:

Well I'm hoping that we're about to find out what Xykon's been doing off screen (and away from the goblins) all this time, and I hope the answer is 'I know where Girard's Gate is'.
Girard gave the true coordinates to Serini, and Xykon has her diary. So probably.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
They might be able to get a Sending off to Hinjo, who relays it on that Xykon is coming, now.

Xykon wanted Redcloak to be ready to ship out "two rounds" after the phylactery was found, so it seems plausible he let the Cloister effect end before he left the City, or else he risked waiting weeks before Redcloak could contact him. I guess he could have left the Cloister on and had Redcloak Summon him back somehow...

Geez, I genuinely have no idea where this is going, and I love it. How did this strip come so far from its lovely-D&D-joke-a-day roots? Rich has been on fire ever since Vaarsuuvius sold her soul.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I'm disappointed Rich canceled the third prequel book he had planned. Especially if it was going to be Tarquin centric, I'd have loved to see Rich's take on an evil adventuring party.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
It was quite a long time ago, when his Crohn's Disease started getting worse and he started updating infrequently. I hope if he gets better, he'll try to tackle it again. After all, didn't he draw new content for Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales?

Edit: CROHN'S

Danzou fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 15, 2012

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Remember when Xyklon trapped Miho in that cage?

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
drat, Tsukiko just doesn't give a gently caress, does she?

She's probably looking for the other half of the ritual, which brings us back to why Xykon didn't tell her the ritual was in two halves, anyway. I haven't read Start of Darkness, but did Xykon even know? From the fact that Tsukiko accuses Redcloak of hiding the other half, it almost suggests Xykon thought his half was the entire thing. I guess that's why he had Tsukiko studying it in the first place, because it didn't make sense to him, either.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

run DNC posted:

Shes really obviously (and correctly) accusing Redcloak of hiding the phylactery
I don't think Tsukiko has ever talked about the search for the phylactery, or even being in any hurry to leave. It seems like Rich would have foreshadowed Tsukiko suspecting Redcloak of faking the search, since it seems a little convenient for her to develop a suspicion just as Redcloak finds the thing.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Tsukiko's banking on Xykon being suspicious if Tsukiko dies and isn't ressurected. Xykon gave her free reign to bust Redcloak's chops if he started bucking, so Xykon would probably be very interested in what she had to say if he came back to find her dead.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Yeah, I think you're conflating how you can teleport and so forth within the Cloister. This is the strip Stabbey_The_Clown mentioned, which disproves it.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I love the joke about it having "Exactly the same scratches. Exactly as I remembered it" when the panel depicts the usual MSpaint-level dongles.

I hope we get through the rest of this side arc before the pace slows back down, because these last few strips have been really great.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

HKR posted:

chances are this is the end of the chapter.
Possibly, but I'm hoping for a little denoument between Xykon and Redcloak, plus maybe finding out what Xykon was up to while he was gone.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Wait, what IS that necklace, anyway? Have we seen it mentioned before?

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

terminal mehmet posted:

Mystery Prize #6 was: "a new regular Order of the Stick comic posted every day until the end of the pledge drive"

Hooray!

Although he "cheated" a little by not updating it for a few days. But whatever.
Seven more comics coming our way.

Man, Rich must be on cloud nine. I'm really happy for him, and absolute nuts at the prospect of a run of updates.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Can't you throw all the image files in a zip and a CBR reader will read it just fine?

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Wow, a solid gag, told by clever word balloon choice and effective art. As much as I think this strip started out very lame, you can't deny Rich has really gotten the hang of his medium. His establishing shot of Windy Canyon last week- oh holy poo poo, I mean yesterday - was one of the better panels he's done.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Holy poo poo, I hope this means Rich will be able to obtain the tools he needs to put the comic out faster. I'd have never thought this comic was so popular, and I'd love for this to spur a more even update schedule.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
drat, they haven't been in a dungeon since the beginning of the strip, have they?

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
From the Kickstartsr comment thread: "Rich Burlew 1 minute ago
I haven't forgotten about the last comic in the consecutive run, it's just taking a very long time and I couldn't finish it yesterday. Lots of complicated art. It will be up in few hours."

Kind of excited to see what's up

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

NihilCredo posted:

Not that it's conclusive evidence or anything, but in the Familicide panels every single victim is shown to be a dragon or half-dragon, there isn't a single non-dragon in there.
It's also implied to continue, in frames too small to see, on and on and on. However, it would make sense to throw in a human-looking creature in one of the smallest panels to foreshadow this. So good point.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

Cliff Racer posted:

It would be a pile of flesh, the skin, bones etc. are specific parts of the stone, which were then ground up and rearranged.
So are all the organs individually sculpted underneath the exterior?

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I feel like an Epic Wizard should have been able to prevent that.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
There's the entire second axis to consider, too. Raiding the city of Sigil on the Plane of Law to steal the Pact Primeval would threaten to reignite the open war between Good and Evil, without Law there to enforce their contract with one another.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

CapnAndy posted:

What do you think the odds are on the Order just giving this Gate to the Linears? It needs a guardian, and Tarquin isn't the end-the-world type. It's not a bad compromise.
The Order still thinks it's possible to harness the Gate, right? Unless Redcloak or somesuch spills the beans to them, they wouldn't see the elegance of that solution.

Also, to forestall the question I had in the back of my mind, the Linears don't know the location of the gate. They're following a bug woven into that carpet Tarquin gave the Order. I momentarily thought this was confirmation the gate was in the pyramid, but only Xykon knows the location right now.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I didn't think it was possible to induce worse posting from the GITP forums, but here we are. drat it all.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I'm Journalistic Neutral myself (with Spergful Chaotic tendencies). What are your forums alignments?

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Gonna be honest, "Somebody pops around in the last frame to seal the plot comic with a joke" is getting a little overused.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Any good DM has house rules on the major abuses of the PHB material, and practical experience with supplement material. If you throw something from an unfamiliar source at them, they should have either the experience to house rule your character concept into something manageable, or the authority to tell you "This would be too much work for me as the DM to handle". It is a hard process, but that's what effective DMing is all about.

Personally, I always required wizards to be one step down the moral alignment from the "core" of the group (Neutral in a Good group, Evil in a Neutral Group). This of course, requires a group that can handle alignment as a character influence. Other than a solution this dire, you pretty much have to run an all-caster party to effectively DM.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
So wait, nobody's commented that we finally found out Sabine's not a devil?

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
These are fun characters. I love Malack blowing off Nale.

Is there any chance of Varsuuvius saving herself from the pit, or has this clinched her out of the battle?

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

Cabbit posted:

I think they wanted a link, not some vaguely derisive snorting as to what sort of community spawned it.
I think he was just playing "Internet Art Expert" and used "smells" poorly.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
The return of Erfworld to a regular schedule should mean good things, then.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

sfwarlock posted:

Does 3.5 still have that rule where if you change alignment you need to earn double XP for the next level?
One of the older versions had you take half-experience for the adventure.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

NihilCredo posted:

Roy might be intelligent and pragmatic enough to reach that conclusion (though given his opposition to using a would-have-killed-him-anyway kobold as a trapfinder, I'm not so sure), but Durkon almost certainly wouldn't bend the rules that far and would outright refuse to fight alongside Belkar.
This assumes Durkon will be a consideration much longer.

Belkar "dying" here ambiguously fulfills an in-story prophecy, but it also fulfills an out-of-story spoiler from one of the collections (I think): that somebody would die in this book. That might be Belkar, or we might see Durkon fall before the Order heads to the next gate in the Dwarven homelands.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

Colonel Cool posted:

Man I noticed that at the time but I was so sure it was just an indication that Malack was a frail sickly old lizard with a poor constitution; hence his "special diet."
Seems like Malack held to the Masquerade pretty well.

It would be pretty funny if Vampires in OotS worked off the V:tM rules, but that isn't the sort of rules joking the comic does anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I think Malack's epiphany here means he possibly rose Durkon as a more free-willed vampire, to have him as an immortal colleague and not a child-thrall. Hell, Malack might let Durkon walk away - they have centuries to catch up, after all.