Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Affi posted:

Isn't glamered armor real? And not an illusion?

quote:

Glamered
A suit of armor with this ability appears normal. Upon command, the armor changes shape and form to assume the appearance of a normal set of clothing. The armor retains all its properties (including weight) when glamered. Only a true seeing spell or similar magic reveals the true nature of the armor when disguised.

Even without that specific wording, it's an illusion effect, and True Seeing counters those, as well as revealing the true nature of any polymorphed or transmuted creature or object.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
New strip! http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0865.html

Really, how do you protect a stationary macguffin against an epic-level spellcaster? With only two gates remaining (and status of the other yet unknown), destroying them isn't going to work out so well at this point.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
He could still show up there if that was the case. Ian & Co didn't have flying carpets or any other travel magic, so even with a head start it could take quite a while for them to reach the Gate.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
My impression is that Xykon is so confident in the ability of his magical prowess to let him at least pull through even the nastiest surprise intact, that he doesn't consider the extra possible edge gained from small details like remembering individual enemies in case they come back worth the effort that could instead be spent amusing himself. That's not saying he won't put in the effort when it is certain to give him an edge in the near future, but he seems averse to do it "just in case". He acquired the ring protecting him against positive energy when he knew Righteye was planning to backstab him, but had to be convinced by Redcloak to make the rune traps that ended up zapping V's surprise round.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 25, 2013

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Nale's whole thing is that he wants so badly to be the big bad of the campaign that he perceives Elan and the rest of the order to be the protagonists of, and every confrontation between him and the order has happened because he forced it while the order would have preferred to just ignore him. Two different ways I could see this whole plot thread going is either Nale achieving his goal and eclipsing Xykon as the bigger threat by taking control of a gate, only to get forced into a (losing) confrontation with Xykon before the Order even gets to him, or else the Order finally deciding to take the initiative and seek out a confrontation with Nale at a time where he doesn't feel ready to deal with them. Both seem like suitably ironic ways for his goal to get twisted against him.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Edit: <late to the party>

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

ShadowCatboy posted:

I'm fairly confident that since Quarr is an outsider, killing him would just lead to his essence merging with the plane he originated from.

Yeah, Celia already established that death is a permanent end to the existence of an outsider (as opposed to mortals who either just have to wait for a rez, or get to enjoy an afterlife for eternity)

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 17, 2013

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Elan is remarkably useful in certain situations and a serious liability in others. Roy could be nicer about it but there's pretty good reason not to have Elan singing at the top of his lungs when they're outnumbered, injured and their only real hope is "avoid the villains."

Because Elan's primary competence seems to be "improvising your way out of a tight spot, possibly into another", I think it is understandable that even if Roy recognized his talent, he wouldn't want to plan for making using of it. After all, the last time he was forced to depend on Elan's skill at that, he lost his manhood (literally, if temporarily)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
So I got to thinking about what the narrative purpose of this sequence was, and it feels like it was mainly to establish ahead of time that a melee-range one-on-one between Roy and Xykon at this point would, under the D&D rules of the comic, lead to a victory for Roy.

Which probably means that when that situation finally pops up for real, circumstances will conspire to force Roy to abandon the opportunity to off Xykon (perhaps to rescue someone else, because of blackmail or, getting into crazy unlikely turf, the necessity of a Roy/Xykon team-up to stop someone else like a Redcloak who has finally shown his true colors)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

My Lovely Horse posted:

Plus, explicitly calling it out as a happy ending underlines the chance that Elan might die in there very soon. As was mention, this is exactly the sort of thing the rear end in a top hat oracle likes to spring on people.

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize at first that this completely voids his oracle-guaranteed survival to the end along with anyone he would consider part of his "happy ending" (which means haley and/or their relationship is at-risk as well now).

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Throwing it out there; the happy ending is personalized to the individual experiencing it, and what we're been seeing on this page is the one personalized for the reader, so of course it's going to contain happy endings for every significant plot thread that we would be aware of at this point in the comic. It meshes nicely with the page itself forming a swirly pattern.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 13, 2013

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Has Rich actually confirmed that those four words were the words referred to in the prophecy?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If Belkar's being dead is such a sticky point for this being a communal dream, then perhaps the magic just operates by democrazy and Belkar surviving got outvoted.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Ursine Asylum posted:

Yeah I would assume (to :spergin: a bit) that Hold Person just literally holds every atom in one position with relation to the rest. Which makes for it's own interesting metaphysical derail (can you perceive anything if your neurons literally can't fire off, or do they fire off but you can't remember any of it because they don't create new pathways?) that I won't delve into.

considering that the spells allows you a will save every round to shake it off, I imagine it does allow for some activity in the brain at least.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'm half expecting Roy to end up kiting it around since Redcloak instructed it to go for him first specifically.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I wouldn't be surprised if some OotS readers can remember every page and its associated number by heart.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Tarquin's primary weapon is a greataxe, but he's down to using a whip now after losing the axe.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I could very well see Rich giving us a TPK (minus possibly V). It's one of those things that just happens at one point or another in d&d, and it'd fit in wonderfully with the current thread of the Order being screwed in every conceivable way.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

greatn posted:

This is really starting to feel like plot armor. How many villain groupd are going to come across this half destroyed group, pussy foot around and say "Oh I don't want to take any risks"? And why is Nale saying for "no gain"? The deaths of the people who have hounded you for years is no gain?

Nale's group hasn't gone anywhere. They are just watching the Order get pummeled by summoned monsters so far, which at this points looks to be quite enough to grind Roy & co into the sand. So it's perfectly reasonable for Nale to not want to take personal risks in this case when it seems like all he has to do is wait and watch.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Both the fiends were summoned (by Durkon and the Drow respectively) when the linear guild regrouped and went back down to find the gate.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Going by the rules, a vampire exposed to direct sunlight only gets a single move action or attack action (note: not the same as a standard action, which is what using Gaseous Form requires) and if whichever of those two the vampire chooses doesn't get it out of the sunlight, it is utterly destroyed on its next turn. Rich obviously relented on it a bit for the sake of storytelling since otherwise Malack wouldn't even be able to cast Slay Living, but normally a vampire caught in sunlight with no nearby cover really is completely boned.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Ursine Asylum posted:

...and Roy's escapades in Azure City and willingness to "use" Belkar indicates a pretty NG outlook, bordering (again) on CG. (In fact I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Roy character arc in the near future when someone calls him on his poo poo and compares him to Miko in terms of his "ends justify the means" mindset. Probably Elan, for maximum "gently caress you Roy"-ness.)

Roy is Lawful Good

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Wittgen posted:

Then why did Penelope die? Tarquin and Nale both seemed to be under the honest impression that the other killed her before she could further their plans. She died mysteriously in the same time frame V cast Familicide. It seems like a family of sorcerers who get their power from their blood and don't trust non-family might seek out and use distant cousins for new blood.

It was explained in some strip that the Draketooths perpetuated their family by going out and seducing random strangers, then leaving them behind while taking the child(ren) back to their hideout. Penelope was one of those who got seduced, and familicide got her because she was related by blood to someone (her child) who was in turn a direct descendant (through Girard) of the black dragon that spawned the draketooth clan.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Ahhh, so that gun is still loaded? Good to know. I'd thought that an undead wouldn't have any use for a Death Ward spell, what with actually being undead and everything. It's a bit like a snowman casting Fireball or Bigsby's Thermal Blanket, isn't it?

The entire point of researching a mass spell is to efficiently extend the benefit of the spell to multiple people. Just because the spell is now redundant for Durkon (it doesn't impair him in any way) doesn't lessen its usefulness for whoever Durkon ends up allied with.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Rich just ignored that bit for the sake of storytelling. There's no obvious reason for why the spell wouldn't work for traveling within a plane, other than the rules saying it doesn't as an afterthought, and it doesn't even make a difference for what can be accomplished with the spell since the same result could already be achieved by just using another plane as a mid-point.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

jng2058 posted:

On a positive note, they may be able to sell this result as inevitable to V to assuage her guilt about letting the Gate get blown. After all, there was no realistic chance the Order could have held off Tarquin's whole army, especially when backed up with his Psion. And Tarquin was going to destroy the Gate anyhow, so the fate of the Gate was pretty much sealed.

Granted, if she hadn't wiped out the Draketooths the Gate may never have fallen in the first place, but at least there wasn't anything she could have done to save the Gate, with or without the Fiends repossessing her soul.

I don't think it is a certainty that the gate would have been destroyed by Tarquin. He mentions wanting to study the gate, so it is perfectly reasonable that while doing so he'd come to the same realization as V (either by V passing on what s/he knows or from his own investigation of it).

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Ursine Asylum posted:

Random note: I'm not sure if I missed part of the discussion in all the psion :words:, and the iPad app doesn't have search-in-thread, but has no one noted that Belkar referred to V as "she" last comic?

Not sure if mistake, or callback to "the event".

The characters in the comic all have their own ideas on V's gender. Rich is on the record somewhere of saying that V's actual sex is still 100% ambiguous despite them.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

reignofevil posted:

You know before this post I was 100% in the "Nale isn't coming back to the land of the living" wagon, but this theory sounds about the way Tarquin would handle a situation.

Except Nale isn't in on it and would likely be pretty pissed at Tarquin after coming back. Tarquin isn't in the business of letting enemies that he doesn't have control over run free if he can help it. He is Evil after all.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
At least we know now that V's body is still safe somewhere in the crater. This is probably gonna segue into him being release.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

greatn posted:

What does Sabine even have class levels in? Her CR seems a little low for any of these guys at this point.

rogue, probably, given that she used to be Haley's opposite back when that was a thing for the linear guild

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Really, unless you had very particular reasons to believe that there was someone with plans for you that you'd rather stay dead than allow to be carried out, why wouldn't you accept a rez regardless of the cleric's alignment?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Is too much to hope for that there'll eventually be a d&d edition that gets rid the alignment system and any other game mechanic that attempts to define morality and ethics as a finite set of labels?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

sebmojo posted:

Fourth Edition basically did this. It was great! Everyone hated it.

I thought they just distilled it down to lawful good, good, neutral, evil and chaotic evil as a single linear track?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
A true heroine would manage to save both her father and the world. :colbert:

Maybe Tarquin just figures that since Haley will probably participate in the eventual attempt to defeat him, she should be motivated by reasons beyond "my boyfriend wants it done" to make the narrative of it all stronger.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Speedball posted:

Edit: You think that army is carrying enough water for the desert? A thousand guys who regularly rely upon teleportation to move around might not bother with lugging all their food and drink. So what I'm saying is, if anything happens to Laurin right now...heh heh...

Because the most heroic thing to throw in Tarquin's face is consigning a thousand random mooks who had the misfortune to be born in the wrong nation to certain death by thirst and starvation in the desert.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Comstar posted:

I've lost track of some of these characters- who was the lizard general who just got killed, and why was it mentioned? I don't get how it's related to what's going on.

He was just one of the background ambassadors present at the Empress' court, and his assassination at the moment he's trying to reveal Tarquin's scheme to the empress is just a convenient crime to pin on Ian instead of just framing him for stuff that we, the readers, never see.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Based on the description there, wouldn't it now be a lot shittier for him because he channels negative energy and they mostly fight evil dudes?

Since he channels negative energy, he'd gain DR X/Good, which means only a good-aligned attack can bypass it. So he's better off now in the fight against other evil creatures.

However, the mooks wouldn't be bypassing it anyway as just possessing a particular alignment doesn't make your attacks aligned. You'd need magical weapon or an alignment sub-type for that.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Vorgen posted:

Sabine doesn't have a soul, she is powered by the essence of her plane of existence. If she dies she just merge back into the plane of... Hades? Baator? Man its hard to remember all this stuff.

The Abyss, since she's a demon. Baator is literally hell and where devils live.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Who What Now posted:

Reading these recent comments I think I might be the only person in the thread the thinks of V as a female. Anyway

V couldn't use Dimensional Anchor to save herself because it requires a Touch Attack which V couldn't perform if she wasn't in her body to aim her spell. The way Contingency works is the trigger happens and then the spell is cast immediately after it is resolved. If your contingency is "if I take 40 damage or more, cast Teleport to my sanctum" you would first take the damage, and then be teleported away. So if the trigger is "my soul leaves my body" her next spell can't require any physical action on her part, only mental or verbal (since we've seen she can still speak).

Spell effects triggered by Contingency doesn't care about the caster's current circumstances. When the contingency is triggered, the caster isn't actually casting the spell that is triggered (she already did that when she set up the contingency spell), the spell effect is just instantaneously brought into effect on the caster as if she had cast it, even if she is completely incapable of casting spells at that moment (the trigger condition "I am dead" is arguably valid and situationally useful).

That still doesn't help V much since 1) nothing triggering on "my soul leaves my body" is going to be able to prevent that from happening in the first place, and 2) contingency can only trigger effects on the caster, so any spell that affects other targets cannot be used with it.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Aside from that, the fiends have no clear motive for falsely stating that there was a non-Evil alternative to making a deal with the devil (plus associates). They felt pretty confident that V would make the deal even when offered an alternative that degraded his/her own importance in the rescue, but they don't gain anything from V disregarding a non-Evil alternative that doesn't actually exist.