Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Colonel Cool posted:

I don't really see what the point of a plot summary even is.

To get people who might be otherwise turned off by the first few strips that are mainly D&D injokes and without much of the features that really show off Burlew's skill as a writer and world-builder later on? I do agree that spoiling stuff like Roy's death would be taking a lot of the fun out of it; perhaps the summary could be suitably vague, like "after the battle of Azure City, the party scatters across the world" or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Colonel Cool posted:

On the other hand it'd be hilarious if Malack picked the fight and Nale dispelled his Protection from Daylight on the spot.

Would that even be possible for Nale, though? I've only got a very vague understanding of class spells in D&D, though I am aware that Nale has said that he's multi-classed in the past. If he can, though, it'd be perfectly in-character for him to have kept something like that, especially since he presumably already knew Malack was a vampire from the whole 'killing Malack's 'children'' bit.

Then again, I'd not be surprised if Malack opened up with that spell of his that knocks the target down into single-digit HP, and for Durkon to deal the finishing blow.

Knowing Burlew, though, Nale's probably going to end up finding a way to weasel out of being Enemy Number One with Malack again. Or, at least he'll try to.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Call Now posted:

A vampire sarrukh or something.

A vampire Saurok?

And why do I get that distinct feeling that whatever plan Tarquin has is going to end up, say, forcing the Order to surrender to him, or otherwise put them in a no-win situation?

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Slashrat posted:

I could very well see Rich giving us a TPK (minus possibly V). It's one of those things that just happens at one point or another in d&d, and it'd fit in wonderfully with the current thread of the Order being screwed in every conceivable way.

Or, alternatively, V comes back at the most dramatically appropriate moment and wipes the floor with the enemies the Order is facing off with, plus Nale's team.

...Why do I suddenly get the impression we might be seeing another Soul Splice in action for hir to save the Order and teleport them out of the desert?

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Unlikely. What does V have to offer the fiends now?

...An extension on the time they can already take possession of hir body?

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was more that he didn't quite realize/know that Malack would catch fire if he was exposed to the sun, and expected Malack would've attempted to catch him in it too.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Don't forget assuming Nale would be too stupid to realize what would happen as soon as their mission was done, and even if he did, assuming that Nale would be far too injured to face him in a head-on fight OR Nale would have to contend with Tarquin and his men if he waited to recover.

And apparently never learning how to defend against grappling. (Can you actually learn to? I've never played D&D, so all I know is that grappling is usually far more trouble than it's worth on a meta sense for all parties involved.)

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Makes me kind of wonder if we'll end up seeing an actually Good necromancer at some point during the next story arc as an(other?) example of someone playing against the role one would think they've been consigned to by the choice in Class they've made.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

I forget, has Nale ever shown any capability to magically disguise himself (or, alternatively, could he be so disguised by anyone in his posse)? Because I could see him passing off as Malack (assuming Tarquin's Ring of True Seeing doesn't, well, let him see through it instantly) and meeting back up with Tarquin to give us a major plot reveal that we've yet to guess at that Tarquin would only confide in with his most trusted circle.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Well, are there some sort of creatures, magic, or whatever that make curses into positive effects (probably with the trade-off of buffs/positive enchants acting like curses)?

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

I'm thinking more along the lines of Durkon saving him for emergency rations/feeding material if the cravings ever get strong enough for him to pose a potential threat to the rest of the Order if he doesn't get his fix right that minute.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Naramyth posted:

Time to conquer another planet.

Or to perform the role of the villian that completely and utterly defeats the heroes at some point between the middle and ending of the narrative.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Ursine Asylum posted:

Wasn't that Xykon 450 strips ago or so?

The Order lost, yeah, but they still managed to either escape or lead a resistance afterwards. Here... They're probably at their weakest (save for Durkon and Roy (maybe V when s/he gets back), obviously) health-wise, with a villain (probably) bearing down on them with an army that's been trained by one of the most competent and brutal rulers we've met in the narrative, and with no readily-apparent means of escape and surviving out in the middle of the world's largest desert.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Wili posted:

I don't think that army is going to give the order any trouble. More likely they will sneak past it, or even into it.

Hasn't Tarquin established in the past that that sort of poo poo won't fly with his forces?

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 12, 2013

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

That is one of my favorite individual strips. It's just hilarious.

Hence why I remembered the reference so easily.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Plus it assumes his friend isn't also savvy enough to know when to save herself, then either come back within a day or two or try her hand at seizing control of his empire.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Malack was meaning that his present self was a lot different than what he was 200 years ago; Durkula, on the other hand, hasn't been as such for even a day, so any culture shock and whatnot would be minimal if he was relatively promptly brought back.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

That, plus actual feelings of guilt for being indirectly responsible for what happened to Durkon, whereas before I'd think he'd have to be cajoled by Roy or Haley just to make a lipservice of an apology.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

...Huh. Honestly not sure what to make of this one quite yet.

Given Tarquin's non-chalant attitude about learning of the pyramid's destruction, I'm getting the idea that whatever we're about to find out is something he places a lot more value in. Of course, that just raises the question of what he'd consider more valuable than controlling one of the Gates. I'm guessing it's something involving the Empress of Blood (say, Tarquin was forced to kill her/she finally realized she was being had?).

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

I remember being sad that the AD&D 2 Create Water spell specified that you couldn't cause the water to appear inside somebody. Was an instant death spell at level 1 so much to ask?

Well, how much water did it conjure? Because if you, say, managed to get your target into a pit deep enough...

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

I'd think pop in long enough to get Nale's body (assuming there's anything left of him to recover, so he's boned if Tarquin's friend can use a Disintegrate-like effect), then get out and try to find him an Evil Cleric that can resurrect him.

That actually reminds me: I swear I remember reading about a less powerful resurrection spell that transforms the target into a random race as a possible side effect. Am I imagining things?

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

I think it's telling that Nale hasn't been healed.

Tarquin was sadistic enough to burn alive a ton of recaptured slaves to make a welcome message to Elan. I really would not put it past him to get Nale lulled into just enough of a false sense of security to not think of the underlying implications of why he hasn't been healed yet (assuming Psions even can heal, that is).

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Huh...

So, this could potentially let Durkon, say, return to the city, pick up enough of Malack's spells to learn his Protection from Daylight, and thus handwave any concerns about the staff's limited charges.

Also, I'm getting the impression that whatever was in the wands Haley looted off of Z is about to become highly relevant, regardless of whether she can use them or not.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Sefer posted:

She's a rogue; UMD is a class skill. Of course she can use them.

Ahh. Sorry, I've only played D&D once (and that was years ago), so I've no idea on what sort of abilities a class has innately.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Ho-o-oly gently caress.

He actually did it.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Well, it's... Nice(?) to have those occasional reminders of just why Tarquin is the leader of what's presumably the world's harshest country. Honestly, I'm surprised he gave Nale as many chances as he did as soon as the truth on Malack came out.

Now I'm imagining two scenarios: Elan goes from "never acknowledge dad as much as is possible" to "actively attempting to kill Tarquin" now, or he starts to get ready to fight Tarquin right on the spot, only for Haley to subdue him... And then telling Tarquin exactly where he can shove it.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

And it's awesome. The fact that he couldn't think of anything to say makes it all the sweeter.

Or, alternatively, potentially being stabbed in the lung(s).

I'm wondering now if this'll end up biting Tarquin in the rear end by making the people of his country realize that he's an evil bastard only a step or two below Xykon that really will stop at nothing to see himself in power. I'd imagine a father-on-son murder (can't think of the exact -cide at the moment) is treated as badly as it is here in reality, if not moreso.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

I just had a thought...

Could Sabine, say, strike up a soul splice deal with the Fiends to get unbanished right now and reave one hell of a bloody vengeance on Tarquin and his men? Or would she be incapable of that due to her physiology or whatever else might prevent it?

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Naramyth posted:

She's only a succubus and I doubt the fiends would go for a soul splice unless it directly benefited them. And her throwing down on Tarquin is probably pretty irreverent to their plans.

Of course there's that. I was more wondering if it's even possible for it to happen. Though I kind of wonder what Sabine could offer up as payment, considering she's already working under them.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No. She's hardlocked to her plane of origin till the Holy Ward wears off. Straight up Banished.

Ah. I was thinking the Soul Splice might've gotten around that, but if that's the case... I wouldn't be surprised if in the future, Tarquin's found eviscerated in his bed one morning, with his latest wife nowhere to be found.

Then again, he's constantly wearing his Ring of True Seeing, so that option's probably out.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

my dad posted:

FATAL? So the rift really was between Girard's buttcheeks all along...

Roll d100?

oh god I don't even play P&P games why can't I get that poo poo out of my head

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 23, 2013

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

greatn posted:

Oh, a plasma screen! Nice.

And... Wow, Tarquin really is a thorough S.O.B. I doubt Sabine will kill him, but if she were to, say, kill his friend... Well, getting the satisfaction that he'd be well and truly hosed to a slow death by dehydration if he didn't bother giving his other buddies any idea of where he was would strike me as just as good to her.

Even if he still has a means of getting out, he'd most likely have to leave his entire standing army behind, meaning he's still screwed if any of the other countries that aren't under his buddies' control decide to seize the advantage while the Order continues on to the final Gate.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

ZearothK posted:

I love how Tarquin describes Nale with almost the very same words some of the people in here did.

Also have to love some people in GITP being in denial about Nale's definitive death. "The dagger has a drop of his blood! Of course Tarquin will resurrect him when his Psion isn't watching!".

"Does it have to be an actual drop of blood, or does it work with dried bits?!"

And this all assumes Nale would swallow his pride to let a servant of the man who killed him and whom he explicitly outlined as hating right before he died bring him back for whatever scheme Tarquin has.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Disintegrate doesn't stop True Resurrection. All you need to do is find a 17th level cleric and 25,000gp worth of diamonds.

Does it still have the requirement that the target be willing to come back, though?

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Who What Now posted:

He's also Lawful, and deeply loyal to his friends, something that we've been shown before isn't something that's unique to Good aligned characters. Besides that, Elan's one sole power is his ability to persuade his friends when he really wants to. I don't think it's likely, but it's far from impossible.

-EDIT-

I don't think for a second Nale is going to be resurrected until the main plot is resolved, though. He's out of the game.

Yeah, looking at the description on the D&D wiki, you can True Resurrect someone that died up to 10 years ago per caster level. Thus, I wouldn't be surprised if, after the story's done, we get an epilogue at some point in the future showing Sabine forming a new group with the sole purpose of levelling up a caster who can cast it (assuming succubi are long-lived, of course).

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

sebmojo posted:

My favourite from the GITP forums was some dude around the time of Darth V who Could Not Accept that V might be more powerful but could still lose.

Was this before or after Xykon's Power Equals Power speech?

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Hell, it might even also end up as a LNC triad, depending on whether Miko was LN or TN at the time of her death.

Not that I seriously expect it to happen, of course.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Well, one would assume that the Good deities would require, at bare minimum, for such a person to show contrition, regret, etc., for all of the major acts of evil they've committed, as well as an honest, conscious effort to make amends. And of course, this all assumes said person never crossed some line that said deities would find truly unforgivable (such as, say, V and Familicide).

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Well, just wondering out of curiosity's sake more than anything else... What would be an example of a situation where a Paladin would become Fallen no matter what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Y'know, all the recent talk of Belkar's impending demise has gotten me to thinking: Is there a chance that the Oracle, knowingly or not, has been bullshitting the Order? Say, whoever/however he gets his prophecies from (Tiamat?) would stand to gain quite a bit if Belkar ends up dying forever, as a direct result of the rest of the Order not bothering to try to save him?