Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It's not like Tarquin has a history of petty vindictiveness and major overreactions to relatively minor slights.

Really, "I didn't care for the way he spoke to me. As if we were equals." is rather in-character for him. Though, of course, it really could be that Ian did do something we've yet to see that would get Tarquin doing this.

Then again, I'm getting the very distinct impression that he's about to leave himself open to a Sneak Attack, what with actively provoking the hell out of Haley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

True enough. However, given that Tarquin just completely and utterly invalidated years' worth of her doing everything she could to free her father, and right after she'd thought she'd managed to do it,she might not exactly be in the most rational of mindsets.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

I wonder if you could collect 25,000gp for bringing Haley's dad in alive, and then another 25,000 for killing him upon delivery.

I honestly would think Tarquin would be likely to applaud their creativity, then would kill them on the spot for trying to be a smartass.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

She's still got most of a day to go because of Durkon's banishment on her, right?

E:f,b

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Does such a helm change the person's mindset to match that of the alignment, or can they still think/act the same as usual, they just don't pop up on Detect Evil/Good?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Red Metal posted:

From the SRD:

Alteration in alignment is mental as well as moral, and the individual changed by the magic thoroughly enjoys his new outlook.

the affected individual does not make any attempt to return to the former alignment. (In fact, he views the prospect with horror and avoids it in any way possible.)

Ahh, I getcha. Still, such a plan seems rather risky, considering Tarquin has four friends that'd immediately know something's up AND it relies on him never attempting to take it off for even the most mundane reasons.

E: Oh, just noticed the part about the change requiring a Wish to undo. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

...Whuh?

One'd think she'd be more interested in killing the guy who did the deed than the guy who had no idea he'd go that far. Plus, she's not really shown the sort of plot awareness those two have.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

ZearothK posted:

It's kind of touching that now that Belkar is very likely to die, prophecy included, Roy is doing everything in his power to keep him alive. Guess he cares about the little guy after all.

...Which probably means Belkar's about to die. :smith: I'm honestly thinking that it's going to involve him and the rift, somehow.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Perhaps it was decided that letting those three go to the hell they'd normally go to would've been seen as a reward by... Someone? Yeah I got nothing

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Hell, what if the Empress of Blood managed to reach the birthday where she arbitrarily unlocks a powerful ability that Tarquin flat-out forgot about while all of this has been going on? :haw:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Really? I thought Lee was yellow, based off of the last panel of the latest strip. :confused:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Well, is it possible for devils, demons, etc. to snatch souls up from the evil afterlives of the others? Given their mentions of working together being a rather new idea, it wouldn't surprise me if they're each in a constant state of animosity/war with the other two, and thus seek to deny the others powerful individuals in their armies OR to get said individuals fighting on their side (though I imagine the latter would be highly unlikely without coercion or whatnot).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

...I'm calling it now. Should the Order fight him at the last gate, Xykon will casually drop that even if they kill him here, he'll just be reincarnated at his interdimensional fortress. Should the Order then summarily kill him, they immediately head back to Azure City (or cut out the middleman and just teleport there past his defenses, somehow)... Only for Xykon to start the process of rebirthing wherever Redcloak is in all of this just a few moments later.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

Redcloak wouldn't let that happen, because if he did, Xykon would immediately know that Redcloak betrayed him.

I had to end it there because class was about to start, but, yeah, I'd meant to add in that Xykon'd go all "...the gently caress?", then piece it together pretty drat quick. Though, then again, this all assumes Redcloak would still be carrying the real phylactery around with him.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

greatn posted:

Maybe he's powered by pedantic of topic arguments, and no one really had anything dumb to say about the last comic.

Or maybe the next comic is a giant five page splash panel.

I'm gonna assume the latter, since I get the idea people are just waiting for this arc to finish up already, and there really isn't all that much left to get in the way of whatever the finale for this will be.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

...neither Haley nor V are going to stand for that, and I seriously doubt Belkar or Roy would, either.

Then again, they might realize it's their most viable means of escaping without dying if Tarquin doesn't try to call Durk's bluff (or he initially does, but backs off when he realizes D's being completely serious). Plus, it serves as a stark reminder to both them and the audience that he really has changed, which has all sorts of possibilities for interparty characterization after this arc.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Or people can be rather friendly and chummy right up until you (unwittingly or intentionally) irk them in just that one area that's a sore spot to them. :v:

Seriously, though, it's not a stretch to consider Tarquin to be one of the most charismatic characters in the strip. Doesn't make him any less of a cold-blooded bastard, but there ya go.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Perhaps it's because Elan is still in cross-fire range of his major spells, and he doesn't want to catch poo poo from Tarquin for killing the one person he really wants to live?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I get the impression Burlew's considered it, but knows the spergiest parts of the fandom would flip its' poo poo at him over something in the video, no matter how big or small an "issue" it actually is.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I dunno if Laurin would be that petty about Tarquin refusing to uphold his end of their deal at the moment, though. 'Sides, if he ends up dead through her inaction, she's got no one to blame but herself (and the Order :v:) for never being able to call in her favor from him, so all the more reason for her to stick around and get even more leverage on him.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I'm just wondering (just out of curiosity, not rules/numbers sperging), as someone who's never played D&D: Has Rich ever done anything that would be considered breaking the rules, house-ruling against the accepted norms, etc.? I know there was Durkula's hastened vampirification, though I think I remember it was generally agreed as a custom-research spell in the same vein as Malack's Protection from Daylight was.

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 7, 2013

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Perhaps Elan would be smart/savvy enough to secretly (or not) smear some of Roy's post-death blood onto himself this time around?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

D1Sergo posted:

I must return to my home planet now (inside the gates).

Seriously speaking, this sort of makes me wonder: Now that all but one of the Gates has been destroyed, could we start seeing extra-dimensional invaders pouring in from the rifts to the Snarl's world (assuming there is any intelligent life on it, of course)?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Also, the title gimmick was interrupted "Go" "Through" then "Overshadowed"

Ehh... I think that was just in reference to Tarquin running Elan through with Roy's sword to get to Roy.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Don't undead (or vampires in particular) have a 'drain on touch' effect inherently?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Unless the fight somehow lasts all through the night and well into tomorrow, I think it's been said that there's no way she's joining in on this fight beyond moral support.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

razorrozar posted:

That's a lot of parachute accounts.

Incidentally, is Rich aware of his following here?

Honestly, I can't help but wonder what'd happen if he was linked to the TvTropes PYF Thread (Seriously :nms: quotes from the horse's mouth within, fair warning). I do know he's keenly aware of TvTropes, especially since they hold him up as the One True God of Fantasy Webcomics.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Considering people keep hoping or predicting that the next strip will be the conclusion to this arc every time a new strip is put up, I think it's been dragged out by more than a bit by this point. I can understand wanting to get in a decisive final fight to finish it off, but it really feels like this can't go on much longer.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

...Wait, what? :psyduck:

Admittedly my knowledge of alignments is limited, but how is killing someone considered worthy of knocking someone out of LE?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Granted, he might yet say/do something in his anger in the aftermath that causes Laurin to snap on him, but... Yeah, at the moment we've got nothing indicating they've had any reason for animosity, considering their whole dynamic revolves around mutual self-interest.

Now, for an actual crackpot theory... :pseudo:

What if Tarquin made a massive misassumption all this time, and Julio is Elan's father? This theory is based mainly/solely on the "crashing weddings" line Julio makes in the latest strip.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Like I said, it's a total crackpot that I do not seriously believe in.

...I am eating so much crow if that really does end up being the case.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Which thing, exactly?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

C'mon, guys, let's not baste around the bush here.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Incoming Tarquin total meltdown scene in the next strip? :v: Something tells me that parting shot from Julio is going to get to him more than, y'know, almost being impaled with a loving harpoon.

...Great, now I have the mental imagery of Tarquin actually getting hit, then engaging in a sword fight with Julio as the line is being pulled back to the airship.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

At this point, I think at least a good chunk of us are waiting on the (at least) 3X longer than normal page that Rich usually does when he's more or less finished an arc.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

...Goals/plans that forgot to account for the wizard who helped thrash Mirion's rear end (along with the rest of the Order) was conspicuously absent. Or accounting for the possibility that he might not necessarily have a means of getting off of said crashing ship with his life if Laurin is incapacitated.

...I'd actually kind of like to see something along those lines now. Tarquin manages to kill the pilot, makes some final choice words towards Elan... Then realizes there's no way for him to get out of the ensuing crash. Bonus points if he ended up being directly responsible, I.E. in his rage, he deals a knockout blow to Laurin.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Disintegrate: Gust of Wind.

I think they meant more in the sense of, say, permanently binding Tarquin's soul to whatever hell he ends up in (or, alternatively, permanently barring his soul from returning to the physical plane).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Stuff like Ressurrection does require consent on the part of the person being brought back, yes (and not having died of old age/natural causes(?), but that'd be irrelevant unless Tarquin... had... a... heart attack...)

:stare:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

To explain: I honestly can't remember if there's a 'no natural deaths' clause on non-necromancy Ressurrection spells in D&D. If there is, though... Well, assuming Tarquin's hypothetical heart attack was purely out of overexertion, then by most conventional definitions, that's a natural death. And would be so fittingly anti-climactic to his dreams of being struck down as the final villain of the heroes' journey, and not to something so mundane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

jsoh posted:

A high level fighter would never die of a heart attack he is basically a marble sculpture

I've suddenly got the mental imagery of one of the players of the OotS asking the GM out of the blue when the last time Tarquin got into as much fighting as he's been in in this arc, then (taking his age into account) asking if it'd be possible to roll for a cardiac arrest check, which the GM agrees to for whatever reason.

Then flubs out a 1. :v: