Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

sebmojo posted:

I just noticed that he stabs Nale just as he is saying "as you wish". That is some cold-rear end poo poo.

That day, Nale was amazed to discover that when Tarquin was saying "As you wish", what he meant was, "I love you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

CapnAndy posted:

No no no no no. This is the top strip.

This one is probably my favorite, because I've always liked Belkar and this page made him even better.

Seriously, the "I need to pretend to have character growth" cracks me up every time.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

CapnAndy posted:

Argue for me with a straight face that he's still Evil, I dare you :colbert:

Being semi-civil with your teammates doesn't make up for a lifetime of murder.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

CapnAndy posted:

Hey Belkar, done any good deeds lately? Well, I'm sure you took the credit, since after all you're just faking character development and any good acts without an audience wouldn't fit at all into that. And we definitely didn't get a flashback from your perspective, showing that you were doing it out of genuine empathy for people you had every reason to hate and want to suffer, right? I mean, drat, if all of that was true, it'd be really really hard to argue that you're still just faking your character development instead of actually experiencing some for real.

Belkar might be less of a monster than he started, but suggesting that he's not evil because he let a rampaging dino out into an arena fight is... a stretch.

You kinda need to work a bit harder to move up the alignment scale when your averaging about a kilonazi of evil.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Mniot posted:

You guys don't allow Amulets of Indulgence in your games? You buy 'em for ~10,000gp (or 4,750 to make it yourself), and if you commit an act that would change your alignment, it turns to dust and negates the act.

I have never heard of that before. What's it from?

Anti Double Post Edit:

Angela Christine posted:

Still pretty stupid, the vizier is always evil. :colbert:

Int is a dump stat for paladins. :colbert:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Haley's face in the sixth panel is great.

"Honey, I just had my brain drop-kicked by a mind wizard. Could you keep it down?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

2 Kings 1:9-12 posted:

Then the king sent to him a captain of fifty men with his fifty. He went up to Elijah, who was sitting on the top of a hill, and said to him, “O man of God, the king says, ‘Come down.’” But Elijah answered the captain of fifty, “If I am a man of God, let fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty.” Then fire came down from heaven and consumed him and his fifty. Again the king sent to him another captain of fifty men with his fifty. And he answered and said to him, “O man of God, this is the king's order, ‘Come down quickly!’” But Elijah answered them, “If I am a man of God, let fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty.” Then the fire of God came down from heaven and consumed him and his fifty.

Honestly, it's the phrasing here that kills me:

"If I am a man of God, let God wreck all their poo poo."
Then God wrecked all their poo poo.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Zonekeeper posted:

Even better, it happens twice in a row. Apparently taking out 50 men with FIRE FROM THE loving SKY didn't get the message across the first time.

Well, if he was a Vancian caster, he could only do it so many times per day...

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

bartolimu posted:

Bone golems are constructs, not undead.

I think his point is, "So instead of making an army of animated undead, which would be wrong, why not make an army of Bone Golems, which apparently has no moral repercussions."

Of course, I think all golems have a percentage chance to just flip the gently caress out and murder everything, so I don't know if they would make the best civil servants.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Eifert Posting posted:

I bet it feels loving fantastic though.

Like OD-ing on puppies and blowjobs.

I've always pictured positive energy healing feeling incredibly creepy, especially if an evil cleric is doing it. Your flesh is growing and reknitting itself at an absurdly fast rate. It may not hurt, but it would probably turn your stomach the first few times.

And that's before you start growing tumors from uncontrolled body growth.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

The sheepish grin as Elan walks off the boat is the best part of the new comic.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Colonel Cool posted:

What the heck is going on in this thread?

Gee, I hope Rich is ok...

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Not gonna lie, I got pretty creeped out when Lauren's eyes went from "Psionics!" to "HEEEEEEEERE'S SNARL!"

I wonder if it actually broke her brain...

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Considering that Roy's art update now includes faulds... that's actually pretty funny.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

TunaSpleen posted:

Awww, I'd at least tip the shopkeeper for being awesome enough to not only recommend his local competition but also for identifying the magic item and crafting it into something more practical just to make a bird happy.

V's still looking for that teleportation magic, and DnD shopkeepers are notorious for not honoring any "Currently Saving the World" discounts.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Shugojin posted:

It's not so much tricked as Loki gave it to him. Throwing poo poo at Baldr and watching it bounce harmlessly off was kind of a pastime for the Norse gods up until then.

Even better, the reason that he was immortal was that his mom went around and made everything swear that it wouldn't hurt him. She didn't get Mistletoe to swear because it was too young to swear an oath.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

MikeJF posted:

She said "the" favored soul of her god - does each god get one favored soul?

Not necessarily. Favored soul is to cleric as sorcerer is to wizard.

Although, Durkula really did overthink this (which I get is part of the joke). But still, a more practical Durkula could have gone, "Good news, Roy! While I was praying, Thor told me about a big ol' Godsmeet up in the mountains! Let's go!"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Durkula gets a pass on being a vamprie because he's 100% in favor of supporting the pary and helping them save the world--his only "sidequest" he's been pushing is turning himself back to a dwarf. As soon as he starts trying to convince people to stop trying to save the world to go to some place hundreds of miles away that only he knows about because of reasons only he can vouch for, he's gonna drop a few dozen notches on the credibility scale. Even now Roy's been lurking outside of his room suspiciously, and he's been a model party member.

That's a pretty good point. Welp. Guess I'm not nearly paranoid to be a PC.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tenebrais posted:

Who knows, maybe Durkon's plan here is to legitimately attend the Godsmoot as high priest of Hel, and represent her.

Well, unless Hel's plan for seeing Thor on his knees involves a polite discussion with his peers, I don't think that's in the cards.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

e X posted:

Rich appears to be very well:

:siren:Plan B:siren:

The gods suck.

Counterpoint: dying now is better than getting unmade by the Snarl.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

e X posted:

Also, what gods does Roy actually follow?

The Northern gods, I think? But he's a firm believer in "Be respectful, but stay out of their business so they won't take notice of you."

Which, ah, might have to change now.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Brannock posted:

World destruction (presumably to control the Snarl) would be followed by a remake, most likely, since the gods like having followers. In a recreation, Hel would be still stuck in her position and the status quo would be preserved. She/Nokrud is going to vote to keep the world undestroyed (thus delaying Roy's suspicion of him) because Hel thinks she has pieces in place to overthrow the other members of her pantheon. Seems pretty clear.

Yeah, but no way is Roy going to be ok with, "As High Priest of Hel, I cast my vote to not destroy the world."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Durkula: :getin:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I could see him hanging his vote over the heads of the no group to get concessions.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Pope Guilty posted:

This could then set up Redcloak no longer needing Xykon and turning on him.

I meant more Durkula's vote into getting something out of the no group, which includes Odin, but that's a pretty interesting as well.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Triple Elation posted:

#1000 is obviously going to consist entirely of Belkar pacing back and forth in an elevator, saying "Come on... come on!!"

Will go and buy every piece of oots merch if true.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Zoe posted:

So I'm not sure how this works exactly, are thralls different from regular vampires, and are those two he attacked also trapped in their own minds and looking on in helpless horror now while their bodies are being puppeted around?

Thralls are what happen when you vamp someone who doesn't have enough class levels to be a real vampire. Even in death, all anyone cares about is your resume.

However, even if you're special enough to be a real vampire, you still get to enjoy being a slave to the person who turned you. The only restriction is that a vampire can only have up to twice their level in follower levels. If you try to go over, you end up losing the oldest thrall. Which makes the common trick to have your thralls vamp people for you until you have a massive org chart of a vampire clan, bound through levels of enslavement to the master vamp who started it all.

The whole "Trapped in your mind" bit is a unique twist that Rich threw in.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Gotta love the elf lady pointing up at Roy going, "Hey, it's that guy I know!"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

my dad posted:

"And I'm just now noticin' tha obvious allegorical construct!"

:allears:

Durkon has been so much fun this arc. I love it.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Poison Mushroom posted:

How about Monster Hearts?

Spellsplinter
When you solve a mystical problem with brute force, roll +Hot. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1.
- No bystanders or innocents are harmed.
- You will not face unforeseen consequences down the line.
- The spell disperses harmlessly.

...Why wouldn't that be +Volatile?
:goonsay:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Rygar201 posted:

Basic cleric spell.

True, but vampires get it at all times. They can just walk up walls and ceilings, no problem.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

If we don't get a background of Roy dressed as a vampire hunter, I will be sad.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

blastron posted:

Did Roy ever purchase (or mention purchasing) a Resurrection scroll on-screen? Chucking Belkar's corpse through the shell and then resurrecting it would be pretty excellent.

You have to be a divine caster (or a high level rogue) to use scrolls alas.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Roy trying to drop his sword on Durkula's head was pretty hilarious.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Toraen posted:

Probably not, since it didn't actually make Elan happy. It played a big part in making him realize his family could not actually live happily together.

It's also not an ending, either.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

New Comic

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

New comic

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

AriadneThread posted:

enjoy hypothermia

Magic cloaks!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

MikeJF posted:

Serini was a smart one.

Yeah. That's a hell of a "zoo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Earnestly posted:

Did Eugene's visit service the plot at all?

Sure did. It showed how Roy's character arc has advanced to the point that he can have a conversation with his father without it devolving to a shouting match.