Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

My Lovely Horse posted:

If you think that's a lot of unnecessary gore you don't know Goblins very well, but otherwise, spot-on assessment.

The worst thing is that as far as Goblins go, this is a good page. The action can be followed, the panels aren't crushed by walls of :words: that even Tim Buckley would find long-winded, and there is something vaguely approaching humor in the anticlimax of the white goblin's heroic destiny speech contrasted to his quick and forgettable death.

It still is a terrible page by any other standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cuchulain posted:

The action can be followed? Really? Aside from GRIMDARK DETHNVIOLENCEBLOODSMASH what the gently caress is going on there?

Stupid-looking goofy blue monster slaughters goblins. Rastagoblin makes heroic speech and jumps to attack goofy blue monster. Jello orc intercepts Rastagoblin's jump and kills him. Then he kills another fleeing goblin, and in the last panel notices the smell of bullshit that pervades the entire comic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Green Intern posted:

Take today's update: there's a 262 word footnote about how to play a made up card game. That's boring.

Actually, playing a card game seems more entertaining than reading Erfworld.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If you want to talk about other D&D comics, why not chose one that isn't completely horrible, like for example this one?

And anyway, 860: Wasn't Going to Listen to Orders Anyway is here now. It's a feature indeed.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They already know it's not Thog.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LightWarden posted:

"The seas part and the air itself seems to scream in horror as the form of the eldritch aberration rises from the depths of its primordial prison, intent on sacrificing the kingdom to the abominable gods which lie beyond the void. Its many tentacled limbs twist and writhe as it turns its multifaceted eyes-"

"I cast Rhino's Charge, activate Divine Might and then charge, using Smite Evil and adding the bonus from Lead the Charge. Does it have more than..." :rolldice: "...250 hit points?"

"Well... no."
Casting Rhino's Charge on a yacht seems like a cool idea. Full steam ahead!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shugojin posted:

If you want to laugh at a poorly optimized character made by a new player, I'm in a game with a halfling paladin. When confronted with a small dwarf child his first reaction was "I kill her".

I don't know what he thought a paladin does.

Did the little dwarf girl had a beard? If she did not, I understand why he thought she was an aberration.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ursine Asylum posted:

Oh drat, am I the one that gets to call out an update?

Sorry, I already did. Top of page 352.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Rich just posted a Kickstarter update so he's okay. Also, he's making progress on belkar.pdf, so yay! (Those bonus stories are what I'm looking forward the most out of the whole Kickstarter thing.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
862: Pop goes Pop.

Some may be disappointed it's not the same kind of pop as in "pop goes the weasel".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LashLightning posted:

Although, I wonder why Tarquin left him behind.

Malack was separated from the rest of the group by a door trap, so they couldn't grab him for a quick retreat. And Malack is competent enough to get away on his own. He hasn't been deafened, so he can hear what's happening on the other side of the metal (?) wall.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

NihilCredo posted:

Erm, infravision? Which I still don't know why it was changed to the much more boring darkvision

Pure game mechanismery. "Okay, you can see up to six squares ahead." Perceiving infrared is harder to adjudicate during gameplay because not everybody has enough scientific knowledge to guess how long a warm footprint remains visible, whether shoes negate the heat transfer or not, and myriad other uses of infravision unrelated to "you see that there's an orc in front of you".

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 31, 2012

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LashLightning posted:

So he made a watersports joke out of that, I guess. \/:(\/

Yeah, or he asked is she was a squirter, or if he could suckle her... Who knows, who cares.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vorgen posted:

They survived a planned, coordinated assault by a capable band of prepared leveled classes. Usually that kind of strike team is death incarnate. None of them even died! Id say that's pretty badass.

They also managed to split Malack away from the rest of his team (at least temporarily) and get rid of the succubus for at least 24 hours. That will severely hinder any further attacks from the Linear Guild.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nenonen posted:

I hope he takes this opportunity in writing some plot twists

He already did, long ago:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

What the hell is this about hand-stabbing? I heard about the Wonderella guy and the OotS guy, did it happen to someone else?

Jeph Jacques, the Questionable Content guy.

Apparently out of reaction at people calling him a horrible person because one of his character isn't fat enough to please obesity fetishists.

This is the Internet. This is what it does.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Gamerofthegame posted:

You'd think Rich would let in some guest comics for this, come to think of it.

He has used a few, then decided long ago not to use guest comics anymore.

I think that with his health troubles, he figured he risked having his archive filled by more guest comics than "host" comics, which would just be odd. His fans are used to waiting.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

blastron posted:

There's a lot of things that can be said about Goblins, but what it ultimately comes down to is that the author, Thunt, is a pretty bad storyteller.

Also, he's a bit of a butt. His behavior during the last webcomic popularity contest was rather ugly. (His fans were even worse, but then again, fans always are.)

Rusty & co., on the other hand, is a delightful silly D&D comic, with great art, good anatomy and posture, fluid movement, and endearing characters (even the villains).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's even dumber than that.

A group was fighting an evil clone of one their members, and that evil clone had a pet demon. The demon wasn't happy about it, though, and the snake woman had learned the demon's name, so she used it to both free it from its pact and banish it back to hell. The demon replies by saying something rapey to its former master, but it sorta looks like it said that to the snake woman since she was the one talking to it.

So, Thunt goes on and on about how it's misinterpreted out of context and stuff... And it's the next page which has the rape flashback.

While Thunt was defending his comic claiming there's no rape in it, he was drawing a page with rape. There's no words for this.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The irony being that the rust monster was based on some cheap plastic toy Gary Gygax found in a bag of "dinosaurs". The bulette, owlbear, and carrion crawler came from there too.

So, they weren't actually original creations from TSR.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What is that? An update?
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0864.html

My god, it is an update!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Special sword-only battle technique and special material on his sword are two reasons for Roy Greenhilt to use his sword instead of an axe; but there is a third, and more important, reason: it's Greenhilt's green-hilted family sword. The one heirloom that made him decide to be a fighter instead of a wizard. When Xykon broke it early in the comic, Roy got angry enough to defeat the lich bare-handed.

He's not going to be using the axe just because it might possibly have a bigger magic bonus (but that's not even sure, Vaarsuvius isn't around to identify the weapon).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Terper posted:

I don't know no D&D, but the Oracle didn't specifically say he would DIE, did he? Just that he would draw his last breath ever. There's gotta be a rule or loophole for that somewhere, right?

No real room for loopholes.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0329.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html

It's basically been the Monty Python parrot sketch. He hasn't said he'd die, but he has said that Belkar doesn't need to fund his Individual Retirement Account, that he should savor his next birthday cake, that he isn't long for this world, and that he's going to draw his last breath ever before the end of the year. You could make it into some sort of lovely twist where the conditions are fulfilled without Belkar being dead, but I really wouldn't bet on it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

NihilCredo posted:

The Oracle has already done the "my prophecy came true in a totally lame way that wasn't anywhere what you expected" joke, with the answer to Belkar's question about whose death he gets to cause.

That was also an attempt at dodging the "my prophecy will come true when you murder me in a couple minutes, you psychopath" and he knew it wouldn't work even if it was "worth a shot".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

builds character posted:

The most significant risk to such a long term strategy is going to be currency devaluation.

In the real world, sure; but in a D&D setting there is no such thing as inflation. The prices of stuff are fixed once and for all in the Rulebooks, where they have the same constance and infallibility as the rules of physics. (More, in fact. Magic doesn't affect prices. I mean, sure, you can swindle someone with some charm or compulsion spell, but that's just you being dishonest rather than the intrinsic price of things changing.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
WotC belongs to Hasbro. They have little pony overlords; they cannot be good.

However, Games Workshop is still worse.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

mr. stefan posted:

I love the little jabs about the WotC lawyer being too incompetent to spell his name right.

Now I'm curious about whether Rusty's author has a weird, hard-to-spell name. (Or maybe one that uses an uncommon variant spelling of a common name.) He only signs as "Mike R." though, so I guess he doesn't want his full name on the Internet.

Spiderdrake posted:

This is a little off but since it's D&D related anyway - What was the Lamia beforehand?

A Yuan-ti. Because fans had nicknamed her Yuan-Tiffany in the comments and it stuck; before she could have been a naga or a lamia just as well.

I'm surprised the retcon didn't change the god's name here though. Mersshaulk's the yuan-ti god in the Forgotten Realms IIRC.
:goonsay:

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 14, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cuchulain posted:

Nope! It's not a Familiar, it's an Animal Companion. Different animals entirely. :haw:

And it's not an issue of deity, despite being "Divine" magic, Druids and Rangers obtain their magic from their connection to the natural world. Turning Undead strips you of all your Nature magic bonuses the same way turning evil takes away all of a Paladin's toys. Good news: There are Prestige Classes like Blighter that let you cash in your old Druid/Ranger levels for evil new powers!

The linked article only mentions arcane familiars, and a cleric's use of positive or negative energy. It doesn't say anything about druids or rangers and their animal companions. (It also doesn't say anything about paladins, but that's covered by the "immediately become evil" part. However, rangers can be evil without losing any class feature! In fact, Belkar was already evil.) So, there is nothing in these rules that say Belkar has to lose Mr. Scruffy.
:goonsay:

Sidenote: the linked article not being part of core rules, they may be ignored at will by any DM. Especially so when the DM is already using homebrewed stuff and isn't really following the rules anyway since it's really a story without actual players.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

I think his point was more that 1) Turning Undead, under the rules, strips any character of Nature Magic. 2) Ranger Magic is Nature Magic and thus must go. 3) That includes the Animal Companion bond.

But I see nothing at all about nature magic. The word "nature" doesn't even appear. Also D&D only distinguishes between "arcane" and "divine" anyway (plus "psionic" if you use these rules), druids and rangers are divine casters too; while bards are arcane casters too. There's no such things as nature magic.

And I still see nothing about rangers or druids at all either. The only mention of rangers is in the introduction and talking about ranger wereboars.

quote:

Undeath: Upon reaching 7th level, a vampire gains the undead type, with all of its normal benefits and drawbacks. He no longer has a Constitution score, and he loses any Constitution bonus or penalty on hit points, saving throws, or skills that he may previously have had. He uses either his Charisma modifier or his Constitution modifier (+0), whichever is better, for all skills, save DCs, and other quantities that previously incorporated his Constitution modifier. The vampire becomes immune to many attacks but is subject to turn or rebuke undead attempts and is immediately destroyed if brought to 0 or fewer hit points. All of his current and future Hit Dice increase to d12s. (Rather than rerolling all the character's Hit Dice, you can simply add 4 hit points for every d4 Hit Die the vampire previously had, 3 hit points for every d6 Hit Die, 2 for every d8, and 1 for every d10, if desired.) The vampire immediately becomes evil and subject to the special rules for staking a vampire through the heart.

A vampire cleric may become an ex-cleric if his deity does not accept evil clerics, but character can remedy this problem either by changing allegiance or by devoting himself to an evil cause or a source of evil divine power (selecting new domains if appropriate). A vampire cleric who could normally turn undead loses that ability but gains the ability to rebuke undead, and one who can spontaneously convert spells into cure spells now converts them into inflict spells.

A vampire sorcerer, wizard, or other character who has a familiar is shunned by that creature unless it is a bat or rat, but he can acquire one of those creatures to replace the previous familiar.
Cleric allegiance is addressed. Use of positive or negative energy (turn-vs.-rebuke, cure-vs.-inflict) is addressed. Arcane familiar is addressed. Animal companion isn't addressed. Generic divine abilities outside of patron deity and positive/negative energy use is not addressed.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Still not received that backers-only update, though.

Also, the workometer link in the general update is broken, so the image is here if you want to see it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

Admittedly I have no idea if D&D clerics can be vampirized so maybe that's not possible.

There's nothing to prevent it.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

What are the chances that Mr. Scruffy is a paladin, and licking a wound is his version of Laying On Hands?

Extremely small. Also paladins aren't allowed to associate with evil characters, such as Belkar. Though admittedly, one could argue that it's allowed if the intent is to reform the evil character, which Mr. Scruffy to some extent has been doing; but the likelihood of an animal having a character class is still vanishingly small.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't see how this is a problem.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ConfusedUs posted:

I really like Team Tarquin. Malack and Tarquin are both smart, reasonable, and nuanced. They have Evil goals but they're not cardboard cutout villains.

Their goal isn't even all that evil (if you can believe what Tarquin said to Elan, where ultimately the entire continent in consolidated into three countries which have no reason to fight between themselves, thus putting an end to the constant warfare that already existed before they arrived), but they are definitely using evil ways to go about it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

sebmojo posted:

And in any case, I think you're missing the wider point Rich's making. Especially if you replace 'undead' with 'people'. Cf: Roy and his dad, V and his familiar, Tarquin and Malack, Hojo and Miko, Roy and Belkar (what was it - "aiming him at the bad guys"?).

Roland Jones posted:

You're missing the point, actually. Again, Xykon; Redcloak doesn't mean what he's saying literally, since he spends all day with a living (so to speak) contradiction of that. It's a statement of how he sees the undead, which would include Xykon despite his continued sapience, as tools. It is a statement of something larger, but not "the nature of undead and how they're not people", which sure as hell isn't a theme of the comic considering all the places it's been so far.

You're both missing the point. It's about having an utilitarian vision of sentient beings, and...

Pfft, sorry, can't do this, I have to break the combo. Anyway, you were both saying the same thing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I wonder if the Tarquinites in the other empires are as evil. The "Blood" side are about ruthless oppression (Tarquin) and religious holocaust (Malack); both of which fit the "blood" theme nicely. If I had to speculate, I'd hazard the theme for "Sweat" is exploitation and slavery, a productivist hell. As for "Tears", I have no idea.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Colonel Cool posted:

Actually now I'm curious who the least evil evil character in this comic even is.

Vaarsuvius.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fried Chicken posted:

So now half the party is evil.

Wait, not yet as of #876.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Effingham posted:

I've always maintained Varsuvius is a male because, being such a pedant and know-it-all, it would drive "her" insane to have a grammatically masculine Latin name.

That never bothered Venus.

inthesto posted:

Rich has demonstrated many times that he's a skilled writer. If you dig around, you can find some of his non-stick art and he's skilled in that department as well (the sketches of Nale and Thog in the Cliffport arc are by him).

Rich used to have a more traditional-looking webcomic on wizards.com. It had a short run. The URL was http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/hq/polyffs1 which of course no longer works. The pictures are still on the server and can be reached directly, from rpga_hq_polyffs1_picMain_en.gif to rpga_hq_polyffs5_picMain_en.gif.

Alternatively you can see the five strips rehosted on imgur:

peak debt posted:

He can't be CG since Durkon is (was :haw: ) LG and clerics can only be one step off from their deity.

The Forgotten Realms setting had some exceptions to that rule for certain deities ("this god is CG but has an order of LG paladins anyway; this god is CE but some clerics still worship him as if he were LN like his predecessor" etc.) so maybe similar house rules exist in the stickverse. After all, Thor wouldn't have many Dwarven followers otherwise.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Call Now posted:

Nice to know he's been always doing the :pwn: faces.

That's the one design element that's common between this drawn style and the vectorial stick figure design.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pope Guilty posted:

Can clerics research spells? Because it strikes me that Malack's had a long time to come up with an arsenal of spells that would make a vampire's life easier.

Yep. Any caster can. Even spontaneous casters such as sorcerers and bards.

We've even seen in this comic an example of a cleric researching a spell with Durkon's homebrewed Mass Death Ward (with the help of Malack who snuck in a backdoor).