Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
What do you think the chances of Sabine proposing some sort of deal to Vaarsuvius, to have V take out/injure/make a go for Tarquin when released in exchange for Sabine's help in some way? Because once Tarquin gets back to that city he's gonna be a hell of a lot harder to depose, and it'd be narratively clunky to do so, so this is their best chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
That triceratops did not seem to give the remotest hint of a poo poo as it ran Roy through, and that's making me laugh like a madman for some reason.

And yeah, Tarkie's gettin' mad. He probably won't live to see page 940.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Ouch. Didn't Nale stab Elan right through the chest like that the first time, too? Albeit from behind.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm not entirely sure we can count on escaping this desert without getting some exposition on the 6th member of Tarkie's crew. We already know a bit about Jacinda, but the guy working with Miron hasn't been mentioned at all yet.

Also, while I was looking around at older strips for who the 6th even was, I re-encountered Elan's pun duel with Tarquin - I wouldn't count him out just yet, he is apparently quite handy with that knife.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
She could just lie and say she's out of MP or whatever it is Psionics use. I doubt Tarkie has been counting.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
No fair Vaarsuvius, Move is Psynergy so Laurin should get that. :v:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Colonel Cool posted:

I see we'll be fighting succubi today. Caddy, hand me my #4 cold iron.

I really want to make a character who does, in fact, have an axe caddy, now. A wealthy traveling axe collector who can chop heads with the best of 'em, on a quest with his collection of rare axes in search of more rare axes. The caddy is just a rudimentary construct shaped like a butler who carries all the axes inside a Golf Bag of Holding.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
You know, someone already brought up the Persona thing, but I can't help but feel thats the way it's going to go. Durkon needs to accept his Shadow and gain mastery over it. Thou art I, I am thou, all that jazz. The more interesting question is if, the rest of the party eventually having been convinced it's not really Durkon, Durkon does regain control over himself, still as a vampire, would Roy et al actually believe it was that real Durkon back in the saddle and not just another trick? They might dust him anyway just to be sure.

Unrelatedly, I don't think any of the Yes bodyguards are actually within range to do much of anything to their Clerics even if they did take them by surprise. Yanking away the Holy Symbol like Nale stole Malack's staff might be the best course of action, though, if possible?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

I thought the case was that he can, but it'll result in everyone else in the hall being forced to murder him on the spot?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Who What Now posted:

I'm pretty sure that would be clear evidence that Durkula had attacked other priests protected by the Godsmoot, thus invalidating his protection and possibly also Hel's vote, making the whole ruse a waste.

Also it takes, like, a week for victims to rise as vampires and Durkula has very limited charges on his staff.

The people he attacked were the Creed of the Stone people, weren't they? I remember Durkon specifically talking about ow they were exempt from the protection of the meeting.

Also, that means they weren't the demigods' reps, since they just worship elemental earth. Clearly whatever Hel's plan for influencing them is, it's not vampirization.

...Which would mean Durkula hosed up Hel's plan entirely by himself on what I assume was a whim, since there's no Stone Creed ushers around to call in the reps.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Jesus christ. Roy used one strike to serve him up like a tennis ball, and power-smashed him across the court with the next.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ultrafilter posted:

This arc probably has a ways to go. In the author commentary for Book 5, Rich mentioned that Roy would face consequences of some kind for intentionally destroying Girard's gate, and the Godsmoot seems like a logical place for that to happen. Whether Durkon will be involved or not remains to be seen.

Is the consequence not "has caused the gods to debate destroying the world on the spot"?

I still think the elegant solution is for Durkon to regain control over his undead body. That way he can still go home while being dead. I don't know how the memory connections would help him do that, but maybe it'll factor in somehow. Maybe he'll even keep his title as High Priest of Hel somehow.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Glass of Milk posted:

I mean, it's almost got to be redcloak, unless this is a grand misdirection given the comic titles:

"Red means stop", "Yellow means caution"..

I'm curious what Durkula means when he says "a plan I could never have devised without your help"

He's learned from Roy's Knowledge: Architecture bullshit wins, and is going to bring the whole place down.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah as soon as I read that I wondered where the vampire was going to conjure a level 1 commoner from.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh, Belkar. :allears: He's going to get walloped right back off the mountain again, isn't he?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Krilion posted:

maybe he has a character moment and decides to not fight for once?

I'm not sure the vampire with the large hammer will be sufficiently moved by that.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Mr Scruffy is so adorably happy when Belkar gets up.

I'm going to feel really bad for the cat when Belkar finally bites it.

e; So is the implication that the whole "when I have all your memories you stop existing" thing was always a falsehood, or is it that the predomination could always have gone either way without the spirit knowing it?

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 27, 2018

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
And now Hilgya shanks Belkar for killstealing, right?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Axiem posted:

I halfway expect that Thor will start actually telling them some important information, and right as we get to the point where he's about to say something super duper important—like where to go next, or who did something, or something like that—is when Durkon's going to be rezzed.

He could just not accept, though? I'm sure they wouldn't try just the once.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Regalingualius posted:

That actually brings up another thought: how the hell is the realm of the gods not bursting at the seams with deities that would have come into being from believers on previous worlds? Unless every single one of the previous ones didn’t even last long enough to get advanced civilizations that could think of new ones, there should be at least dozens of other gods if we’re lowballing and assuming that only the last 1% of the worlds they’ve made had multi-digit lifespans.

I assume the lifespan of worlds is an exponential curve between "4" and however old this world is... "multiple hundreds of years" is the largest estimate I've heard on that.

And then there're probably a bunch of confounding factors on top of that. How many worlds where the Order of the Scribble failed to create the Gates, or where nobody even noticed the rifts at all, or where there were a hundred rifts, or the Gods weren't able to put aside their bickering, or so on and so forth.

Ultimately, like in real life, this story is playing out in this world because it's the only world it could have played out in. Yes, the chances of it getting to this exact point are tiny, but on an infinite timescale all chances are effectively 100%.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah, there has to be a catch here.

If all they need is the Dark One's pantheon of one to join in creating a new world, Thor should've been all-in on plan Nuke The World And Start Over #213464121. Boom. Four colours.

Either Thor somehow considers the amount of power and-or concessions the Dark One would gain/ask for in order to render his assistance to be a greater threat to himself than a thing that can outright slaughter him, or the Dark One goes poof when the world ends, somehow.

Also considering that the Snarl destroyed World 1 despite it being four-coloured, just having him on board doesn't mean it's an auto-win for them anyway.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
So Rich has been reading Scottish twitter, apparently;

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1166.html

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Could Loki/Thor actually call off the wager, or is it woven into the fabric of the world, god-rules-sorry-can't-do-poo poo? I kinda think Loki looks like he wants to just throw it away.

I suppose he could leave her the new High Priest at the Godsmoot to replenish from and keep her alive. If vampires are capable of generating Worship, I guess.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ultrafilter posted:

On the other hand, there's a world inside the gates.

During a reread I noticed Odin actually knows about this on some level. But he's entirely forgotten about it by the time Durkon gets Flame Striked back to the afterlife and mentions it in front of him and Thor.

This probably isn't a shocking insight or anything. But apparently whatever god-sight Odin has does reach inside the rifts.

"Yarn winding yarn" is an interesting phrasing for him to use as well. I wonder if the Snarl made its world out of bits of itself, or bits of the OotS world?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
We definitely need another Xykon check-in before we're done.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There’s even a joke about this in one of the early desert strips. I can’t be assed to go find it (on mobile), but it was basically:

“I managed to haggle these rubies down to 400gp!”

“Cool, but the spell requires 500gp worth of rubies. Go back in and buy more.”

So what this just made occur to me is that maybe the value of stuff is all actually just centered around how much of it you need to cast a spell.

500 GP of rubies is always 500 GP of rubies because GP itself is defined by that quantity of rubies. You can in theory sell 500 GP of rubies for 400 GP but it is still 500 GP of rubies.

Or maybe I just need some loving sleep.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The last strip in the book will be posted Monday. Bets on what it'll be? 10 gp says Xykon discovering the final gate.

Check in on Xykon and the Paladins, reveal that the gate was inside the Kraagor statue all along.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Sky Shadowing posted:

It's not going to work... immediately. But it will put wheels in motion for Redcloak.

Right, I think this is where I'm at. Durkon's going to let Redcloak know that there is another option, and in light of this he'll pull off a spectacularly timed backstab that Xykon will never see coming, when the eventual battle looks like it's turning against Team Evil. Possibly when Xykon makes a move to "sacrifice pawn" Redcloak to save himself. O-chul will somehow be instrumental in getting the MitD to resist/disobey the orders Xykon gave it in case of such an event, and that's that thread wrapped up too.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
So since the spell requires a full round of concentration, does that mean all Minrah really needs to do to save Durkon is shatter Redcloak's concentration?

I'm also detecting undertones coming from Redcloak that he's identified himself and his entire life with The Plan for so long that he's almost... scared to give it up, even for, ostensibly, exactly what he wants. The Plan is The Plan and getting a similar result without it is not good enough because it would mean he strove and sacrificed for nothing.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Additionally, the idea that The Dark One might take the deal is probably spooking the hell out of him too, because that would mean that his suffering and effort were divinely for nothing. I would not be surprised if this was in part a way to stop TDO from "discarding" his 35 years of sacrifice.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I started reading on the comic with the hex joke.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Minrah's takedown of Redcloak is music to my... uh, eyes. He's needed a dressing down for ages, but there's never been anyone around who could realistically do it. And maybe that's kind of the problem? Last time he faced any kind of equal verbal sparring partner was O-Chul, and I am just realising that was over the exact same kind of mistake. Redcloak had formed his pet theory, and he was going to stick to it despite all evidence and arguments to the contrary.

Redcloak's plan has sort of become its own end for him. It sustains itself. He's made it so core to his identity -- and why wouldn't he, it's almost literally the only thing that's kept him going for so long, what with the longevity of the red cloak and all not to mention he's literally named after it -- that any challenge to it becomes a challenge against Redcloak himself. And as he's, I think it's fair to say, kind of an arrogant egotist, he obviously won't stand for that. His "I won't have earned the win if I don't kill you myself" transfers to the plan at large. Even if all of his goals are accomplished, unless it's by his hand, in his way, it doesn't count to him. He's completely lost his ability to separate himself from his cause -- or rather, his own narrow interpretation of it.

Redcloak is a grand illustration of "never forget what exactly it is you're fighting for" and against carrying on "the fight" just for the sake of continuing the fighting.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
If you're the GM, your solution to "I don't want to give people XP for committing random murders" is... don't. Rule 0 that poo poo. No XP unless you have a valid reason to be killing someone or something. Negative XP if you kill an innocent. Bonus XP for roleplaying that avoids a combat, not just equivalent to the combat XP, but more. Games are just elaborate incentive/reward structures and you can absolutely use them to make players do what you want.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
My own bardic Prediction: They're not going to make it to any doors. The plan's been said on screen, so it must go awry, probably through the imminent intervention of the invisible interlopers. They'll have been alerted by the same explosion, and the group will be taken to wherever the Paladins got taken to. That ends the combat encounter, gives the heroes a breather, ties up a loose end, and turns the game into cat and mouse with Xykon as he looks for them. Only the cat is armed with a rocket launcher.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

The Chad Jihad posted:

Protean makes sense more or less, but seems like a downer to have the MitD be a monster that can be any monster

I dunno I kind of like it, because technically all of the guesses were right. It can be, and was, any and all of those at any particular point in time.

It also kind of continues the pseudo-Schroedinger running joke thing it has going on right now. While it's in the darkness, it could be any of those monsters. When it's out of the darkness... it can still be any of those monsters.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I think there can be a certain kind of emergent writing trap whereby an author's depiction of female characters can/will be considered A Commentary on their opinion on All Women Everywhere by some people, and that this can have a chilling effect on their willingness to write severely flawed or otherwise interesting female characters (either with authors being hesitant to write it, or it being flagged by publishers and proofreaders), and this kind of "representative pressure" does not exist for male characters because people are less given to hyper-scrutinising male characters in an attempt to divine the intent and/or opinions of the author.

I think some combination of that and people being better at "writing what they know" and projecting themselves onto their same-gendered protagonists (while being convinced that they don't know women as well because they're SO DIFFERENT to men) contributes to the "safe, boring, perfect" female character being more common than the male equivalent.

In my experience shonen stuff is kind of full of male bland, boring, perfect characters, though, to the point that "generic shonen protagonist" is a meme in and of itself.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Bongo Bill posted:

Sometimes writers introduce a character who is disproportionately special, to the detriment of the story.

DMPCs can be a really good and topical example of this. Where it feels like they're soloing the plot and you're just there to watch them and mop up after them.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Wouldn't Detect Magic be foiled by the fact that the entire place is allegedly magical stone? It would be like looking for a firefly against the sun.

Also, Serini definitely can't cast these kinds of spells, so in addition to needing a functioning team to beat, this setup needed a diverse array of people on board to even create.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SKULL.GIF posted:

500% zoom, probably not getting any better than this unless someone has the original file:

The leftmost drawing looks almost like the giant spiky blob is watering a potted plant.

Left one looks like a crude drawing of the Empress of Blood to me. Could these depict story events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Maybe it's an upgrade, better than a Regeneration. Maybe in OotSverse you can pay out the nose to be grafted with X and gain the half-X template.