Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think you almost have to let the people who are LG but lovely at it into the LG afterlife, because there basically isn't an afterlife plane for "good-but-bad-at-it" people. LG assholes don't belong on Mechanus or Elysium or the Outlands any more than they do on Mount Celestia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm going with "the Order destroys Redcloak, but realize he had some kind of a point, and then have to face down Xykon in order to enact the ritual themselves and enforce some kind of change on the world."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Stand Still, Stay Silent is one of those things nobody really understands, because it's so good and so detailed and she updates five days a week. Even the real powerhouses of comics like John Allison or Tom SIddell usually work in a much less complicated style.

Witchery is probably involved.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Once you have ten gods in your pantheon you've probably got at least one who's gay, so naturally henotheistic societies tend towards acceptance.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah, because thats the only thing that showed up in the past 20 strips.

I see that, Haley mentioning that she had better taste in girls than Crystal, and a joke about wands. Wow, that's three whole times where gay people existed!

This is why people talk about homophobia, because the pushback these references get (and they get it every time, all the time) is so large and omnipresent that it obviously isn't coming from a rational place.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm going for "Belkar suffers an endless series of near-death experiences until the end of the arc."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's nice to have an archive that doesn't require an active net connection, will still be here in ten years if Burlew stops paying website fees, and doesn't take up shelf space.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Carrasco posted:

That's pretty ridiculous. She wouldn't have been trying to kill him if he didn't escape from jail and murder someone in the process. It doesn't suddenly become an Evil act because he made her angry during the course of the pursuit. (I also don't think taking advantage of having worn down your opponent to deliver the final blow is an Evil thing, especially when he literally just proved your prison can't hold him.)

By this logic, if Roy were a paladin, killing Xykon would make him fall because Xykon always pisses him off so much.

When the body had stopped rolling, Vimes looked around the square. People were watching from the coaches. The crowds were silent.

There were a lot of things he could say. ‘Son of a bitch!’ would have been a good one. Or he could say, ‘Welcome to civilization!’ He could have said, ‘Laugh this one off!’ He might have said, ‘Fetch!’

But he didn’t, because if he had said any of those things then he’d have known that what he had just done was murder.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

my dad posted:

Yeah, I expect Durkon said or thought "I hope Roy finds his peace" in context of what happened to Roy's brother. at one point or the other. Horribles puns and the Order of the Stick are like a person who doesn't understand figures of speech and this sentence.

It would probably be more like "Eugene left after his younger son died and Roy had to pick up the pieces."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I thought asking if Rich was okay was our prayer ritual to elevate him to divinity.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's the urge to monologue.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Anatharon posted:

What even happened after the battle for gobwin knob or whatever ended? I read a few strips and it seemed like it got... weird.

Wanda attuned the Arkenpliers, as she was always sure she would, and became able to "decrypt" units instead of uncroaking them, so that instead of zombies she now creates intelligent units with no upkeep who have their former minds and stats but are loyal to her instead of their previous side. As you might imagine this ability is hilariously overpowered and with that and all the gems that were unearthed by the volcanic eruption, Gobwin Knob goes from being on its last legs to being one of the most powerful sides in Erfworld overnight.

This makes all the sides that already wanted them dead even more determined (and scared), but an outright assault is impracticable and tends to lead to your soldiers coming back and begging you to surrender to their new master. So Charlie gets involved and pulls a fast one so that when Gobwin Knob's flying forces, including Wanda, Ansom, and Jack, assault the city of Jetstone and are about to take Spacerock's capital, Gobwin Knob's turn suddenly ends thanks to a Turnamancy trick. This leaves them in the middle of enemy territory and unable to attack (almost certain destruction).

Thus it falls to Parson to come up with a strategy that will let them win the battle when it isn't their turn. Also there's some stuff about Jillian's love life and how Jillian ruins everything, and also about how Wanda ruins everything.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

In a general sort of way, Erfworld is probably really demanding on an artist in that everything that appears is a visual parody of something else in a way that's actually plot-relevant and an important part of expressing their character. I can understand how that leads to a lot of strain on the person who has to draw it all.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I made an Erfworld thread.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Zonekeeper posted:

I love that example for the same reasons - the story really sells the fact that Voldemort basically engineered his own defeat by putting stock in the prophecy.

There were even alternate interpretations that were more in keeping with his supposed ideology, but he ignored them and picked the one that both got him killed and revealed him as a hypocrite.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The Wall ranks high on the list of "things that really don't belong in the Forgotten Realms but keeps getting put back anyway."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ikanreed posted:

An overgod did it.

No, I mean more like "this makes no sense given that it makes the gods monstrously exploitative but literally everything else about the setting treats the good gods as meaningfully good."

I guess it stays because Baldur's Gate 2 was popular?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yes, and that makes the gods monstrously exploitative, but the setting doesn't treat them as such, which makes no sense.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think the point is more like "it's bad writing when a villain acts needlessly cruel in a realistic piece of fiction and people don't react the way they ordinarily would to someone being pointlessly mean."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Thaddius the Large posted:

Do vampires have to actively keep track of everywhere they've ever been invited? Or conversely, have they ever forgotten they were invited in somewhere, and were subsequently surprised they were able to get in? "Huh, I guess you must have asked me over sometime last August, completely slipped my mind!"

There was at least one time in Angel where Angel rushed to someone's home to help them, forgot he hadn't been invited in, and was able to get inside to stop them from committing suicide. Only later was it pointed out to him that someone (implied to have been the Powers that Be) had relaxed the rules in order to let him save her life.

The moral of the story is that even in-story everybody is super confused.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Thesaurasaurus posted:

I always took that to mean she was clinically-dead before he got there and resuscitated her.

That's one explanation but Angel himself explicitly says that he thinks it was a sign that somebody Up There actually does care, sometimes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I realized that the problem with Xykon's new design is that for him to have his skull and jaw set up that way, he would have to have a head 150% bigger than anybody else when he was alive.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

If you aren't prepared to be interested in set-piece fight scenes, it's possible that stories based on D&D are not for you.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Taciturn Tactician posted:

So the crew is just okay with this? Kinda feel like if I saw someone smash the captain's head in I'd maybe not treat them as the new captain, because this isn't a bandit tribe.

Technically it kind of is.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Belkar took Wisdom as his dump stat and thus can't cast spells.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like Roy isn't a fighter to annoy his father; he's a fighter because he genuinely thinks swordsmanship and athleticism are cooler than spellcasting.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Patreon doesn't even really require you to promise your fans any particular amount of creation, although you'd have to have a pretty good reputation to be able to promise "you know, whatever."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

That's not magic, it's how things work in the real world.

Plutomancers have it a little harder than that, because they literally can't spend more than $100 in a single transaction without losing their entire stored-up hoard of magic, which makes it really difficult for them to survive (for example, they can't live anywhere they have to pay rent and they can't buy a place to live).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Plutomancers can't give money away, either.

Blowing your magical stack and then doing all the needful financial things on your plate works, but then you have to deal with having a predictable "I have no powers" period every month.

What you can do to cheat the limitation is work for a sugar daddy who pays you in room and board and stock tips, which lets you live without spending money and have a regular way to make money (which is how Plutomancers acquire magick charge in the first place).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

They also can't just pass money back and forth; one of the rules is that magick is smart about ways to cheat your charging and taboo conditions and will ding you if you're breaking a rule and just trying to pretend you aren't.

For your plutomancer lifestyle to work, you have to find a way to live without ever giving any of your liquid assets away to anybody.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

IMJack posted:

If people think you're rich enough, you don't actually have to spend any money. Just show up and be a blowhard and people will give you almost anything you request under some vague understanding that you'll square with them "later". You may not even need to have real money to get by this way. Just bully your way into material comfort.

Yeah, this would work where the other solutions don't.

(Another rule I didn't mention is that you can't use magick to get magick, so $100 million you bring your way with a spell doesn't give you charges.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

God I loved Mage the Ascension. (...Apparently I missed Mage20 completely, though.)

M20 was... not good.

(Although it did have a good Technocracy section.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Avoiding a really tedious subplot is a surprisingly good way to demonstrate how useful V has become now that they've focused on utility.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ikanreed posted:

He thinks very lowly of his brother, and couldn't imagine Thor would win the bet. Look at how drunk Thor is in this shot; it isn't hel he's trying to manipulate

That strikes me more as Loki manipulating Hel by showing her Thor when he clearly isn't in a position to spot the ruse, so she thinks she knows who the sucker is.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Searing Light works on anybody, although vampires like it even less.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Bradbury also had a complete flip-out at the thought that somebody might be reading one of his books on an e-reader.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly, it's possible that Hilgya is just mentally unwell.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

I have no idea who that is, but later posts inform me he is in fact a man. I may search him later.

Most particularly he colors Girl Genius.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Someone pointed out elsewhere that after receiving Durkon's memory about working with a team, his attitude towards his co-workers has flipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Her first reaction to being in an unhappy marriage was murder and it was only after that failed that she decided to run off, so yeah, evil.

I mean, in some ways she seems more deranged than wicked. She seems to have a really poor grip on what's going on around her (note that she doesn't really seem to understand why Durkon didn't want to start a relationship with her and has developed a completely wrong understanding of his character based on that).