Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Why did he have to be a half-ogre for that anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

As written that makes it sound less like it makes you immune and more like you have (x) hours to get cured before you literally explode.

(x) hours is presumably more than enough time to end a battle and cure it (or lose anyway and it didn't matter). The point is that poisons won't work on you in combat.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Epic magic ignores anti-magic, iirc, so it's not unlikely that Xykon has an option for dealing with that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Khizan posted:

Technically, the exact wording is that he has to draw his last breath. That could mean undead Belkar.

The oracle also said some other things that more generally implied that Belkar wouldn't have a future: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0329.html

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

:siren:
New Comic

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't mind Serini but I do feel tired of this fight scene by now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, by pure rational logic Tarquin should've killed Nale ages ago. Logically, he's been nothing but a thorn in his side from the beginning. It was only his feelings as an (Evil) parent keeping him alive. So I disagree with that assessment: Nale did not understand his father in any way whatsoever.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

How do we know he wasn't hostile to the idea? Seems more likely that the original self just gave up centuries ago.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They should've kept the old system of letting fighters call in their entire personal army then.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They usually have weird settings where the dungeons automagically repopulate themselves though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Maybe they are good friends and don't know they're on opposite sides yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Serini refuses to tell the Order where the real gate is for good reason. It's completely plausible that she knows Oona and just hasn't told Oona that the gate isn't behind Monster Hollow. Or even about the gate at all. She might just be "that lady who goes into monster hollow sometimes but always says hi first" to Oona.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Serini wouldn't exactly advertise who she is or what her goals are, but is probably friendly with the locals?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 21, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

sfwarlock posted:

I honestly don't see the parallel, other than the natural themes that will develop in a situation with a "civilised" people and a "barbaric" people. Certainly Azure City is far more proactive about their goblins; the Eorzean city-states seem to be fine with the beast tribes as long as they stay on their land and don't make trouble by summoning avatars of their gods who bind people to worship them.

On that note, uh... how far are you in the FFXIV storyline?

The parallels would be that the the desperate "barabaric" people turn to summoning dangerous and destructive entities in order to get a seat at the bargaining table and/or revenge, which is kinda what Redcloak is doing with the Snarl. It's rather notable that the Primals are not the avatars of their gods (even if they mistakenly believe they are) and can destroy the world simply by existing and draining it of aether.

Also the cities absolutely have a problem with the beast tribes even if they keep to themselves. Limsa Lominsa has rather explicitly broken numerous treaties simply to snatch more land from them, and Uldah is the originator of the racist and arbitrary term "Beast Tribe" because it labels them as something less than a person so it doesn't matter how you exploit them. Why are cat and dragon people not "beasts" too? Because they have money and power.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 22, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

oobey posted:

I think the construction of the mental map will reveal to the Quinton that the physical arrangement of the corridors is impossible - corridors intersecting, for example - and this will in turn clue Redcloak in to the existence of the swap-overs.

Yeah, the point of all this is to "break the plot-speed barrier" as the cockroaches put it, so the obvious result is Redcloak figuring out the trick and putting a timer on the heroes. Possibly with some joke about how the Quinton figured it out ages ago but he never asked and that's not part of the contract.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think it's just a stock eulogy phrase being parodied.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

There's isn't really anything he could do with this odd-letter rule that he couldn't also do with the even-letter rule, so I'm not really sure what kind of clever scheme this could possibly be anyway.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I feel you'd especially not need to memorize someone's birthday if you have another person around to remind you every time it matters.

Also, being smart (high int) doesn't means you memorize every random date and number that doesn't matter to you. In fact you are less likely to, imo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Also you could like read her mind in one of a billion different ways.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

But one reason that comes to mind is that it relies on a specific Dnd mechanic and I don't think Rich is going to have a major inflection point to Redcloaks arc happen as a result of a specific mechanic.

Rich literally already did that when Miko lost her paladin powers. Redcloak himself has also mentioned that he assumes his god approves as long as he keeps getting spells every day. It wouldn't be coming out of nowhere at all.

Unless you're talking about a more specific mechanic I'm not aware of.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah the Goblinoids are not supposed to have any real disadvantage in theory. They were not singled out by the gods. They have the ways to get what they want already.

Well, the god that created them (Fenrir, I believe?) got bored and abandoned them, so that's probably a disadvantage they had.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Not if he knows anything about the Snarl, since his soul being consumed would presumably prevent that.

Does he know anything about the Snarl? Besides that it's a big world-eating monster he plans to use as a WMD

I'm not an expert on lich metaphysics, but I thought the soul was kept safe in the phylactery, which was sort of the point. If that's true, then even his entire skeleton being unmade by reality should have little effect on his regeneration.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, I don't think the Snarl makes a distinction between tangible and intangible, or mortal and immortal.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

So why are elves good at searching for things anyway?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tencent makes plenty of decent games, because they make everything. They aren't looking to exploit the brand for pennies, they're looking to own everything and profit. The problem is less their approach to making games and more that they are run by legitimately evil people.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

NameHurtBrain posted:

The Peasant Railgun breaking physics and doing any actual damage is a myth.

A bunch of peasants just handing a stick down a line is perfectly fine RAW. It's traveling 5 feet in 3 seconds 300 times a round, its velocity never increasing, the whole thing still taking less than six seconds. It's ultimately just very labor intensive teleportation.

More generally speaking, the rules have no concept of "velocity" in the first place. And certainly not the impact velocity would have on the damage of the thrown weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Theropod. Sauropods are four-legged (which is why they're called lizard-foots). I don't know if this needs to be explained, but birds are technically Theropods too.