Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I just read the whole thing. Man that was great. of course I come in at what might be THE biggest cliffhanger the thing has had. :cry: UPDATE ALREADY.

I'm glad I showed up after A LOT of dangling plot lines got resovled, the rogue not able to speak correctly got really old towards the end there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Behold how awesome I am that I can double post almost 10 minutes apart.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Its like the Erfworld guy just can't make up his mind what kinda story he wants. So he's crammed about 3 different types in there.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I find Goblins a fun enough read but god its a bit beating over the head with SHADES OF GREY KILLING MONSTERS WITH NO PURPOSE EVIL BAD BAD PCS NO THINK ABOUT ACTIONS. I get it alright!?!

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Well Erfworld has gotten into territory I honestly don't care about at all. Shame, the strip had a good start but has failed on so many levels at this point.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Occultatio posted:

Rich Burlew posted:

Now, this strip will be a little different from The Order of the Stick. While OOTS has an ongoing story, it is also largely a gag comic, with a punchline at the end of (most) every page. Erfworld will be more like a graphic novel, with one page appearing at a time but without a guaranteed joke each and every installment. The humor is more likely to spread over the course of an entire scene; some jokes will take several pages to be told.

Sorry, but 'being more like a graphic novel' is no excuse for slow pacing and pages with no pay off. Look at Girl Genius. That really IS a graphic novel being put up one page at a time and oh look it works. Print or web, it doesnt' matter, every page should have some reason for exsisting. If you cannot write like that, put up multiple pages. But don't hang on 'ITS NOT JUST A WEB COMIC GAG A DAY' as an excuse.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I think it only does that sometimes, right?

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
hahah, erfworld has gone into WALLS OF TEXT mode.

Honestly, do we -need- to know this crap for the comic?

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Samedi posted:

Weren't people bitching two pages ago because the exposition was taking forever?

I just don't think this is 'need to know' information. I don't care about how ever many schools of magic they have or what seperates them. If he needs to get this information out, do it in a way that doesn't count for and is in the same place as normal comic updates.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
The last 2 updates have both been the text stuff, so obviously one this week was replaced with it.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I've never gotten the 'IT SUCKED I COULD TOTALLY CALL THE TWIST' good twists shouldn't come out of NOWHERE, they should be hinted at... and if you can pull it all together, yey. The OOTS guy seems a big high and mighty at how annoyed he is if people hit the nail on the head. Changing his plot??? Thats just lame.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Oh no, poor V! I'm actually worried for the little guy. Girl. Elf. Thing.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
New strip is up very early. Go read and weep that thats it till monday.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
So is Erfworld just totally skipping plot points now to move the plot along faster???

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I'm wondering if Roy WILL come back? I could see the writer using a character death to make fun of 'rerolls' mid campaign. I hope Roy does come back, as funny as reroll jokes could be.

It's sad Roy died, but I'm kinda happy his very very poor choices did lead to death. Too many D&D chars seem to have an aura of I CAN BE AS STUPID AS I WANT AND I'LL BE OK!

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Oh god, that would be amazingly horrible if we got Zombie Roy.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

tsob posted:

Why were Durkon and Haley so upset about Roy's death? Is there some reason they can't just rez him like nothing happened later?

Roleplaying experiance. :v:

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

tsob posted:

Bureaucracy and tradition I suppose. They've always done it, so they will always do it, even if it doesn't really make sense.

Don't the paladins all know about the snarl and the seal?

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Hahah, I love Xykon in the first panal.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

NorgLyle posted:

I'm just happy that the paladins are all dead. All that remains now is for Xyke to do whatever he's going to do with the gate and then raze the stupid Azure City to the ground and we'll finally be done with this shithole of a sidequest. I'm so sick of pretty much everything about this part of the plot.

Isn't this like, the MAIN quest?? and recall, it takes 'weeks' for Xykon to do whatever he wants. We're not really done here by a long shot.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
There was never any real question if the paladins could beat him. They are not PCs, therefore, they won't. PLOT POWER.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
This thread has taken a turn for 'standard webcomics forum'. Outlandish claims not in any of the strips ever but its HOW I FEEL CAN'T YOU SEEEEEEEEEEE.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I'd love to see a larger, like wall paper sized, copy of panal one. he works in illustrator so its doable, hell those might even be the original figures just zoomed waaay out.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I let players get away with interesting rules loop holes once. If they try it again I tell them the plot gods said no. One time is funny, if it happend all the time its retarded. Not a hard concept.

I get the feeling some of you guys complaining are like players I played with that could NOT understand just becuase if you tweaked the rules something was allowed didn't mean you SHOULD do it.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I hope the next strip is Durkon. He's the only one that hasn't got to look badassed this fight.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Well the latest erfworld takes the strip to all new levels of creepy. :gonk:

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Robot Bastard posted:

Actually, I was just thinking something interesting--all of the various Clerics we see in this strip actually have Gods, Gods who exist in human terms (or, rather, character-in-the-strip terms) and act in ways that humans can understand. Miko, on the other hand, prays to some unknown and unknowable "God" who never talks to anyone else, or even talks to Miko aside from random events that she ascribes to the Gods' timely intervention on her behalf.

Burlew is portraying Miko as a stereotypical Christian.

What? No she doesn't. She prays to the 12 gods, which we have seen in the strip before, and they even talked to Thor recently. Her Gods are as real as any others.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

WangNV posted:

So.. stupid alignment shifting question, happily not related to Miko:

The last time I played D&D, rangers had to be of Good alignment. Wikipedia tells me that third edition got rid of that requirement; and as I understand it, the first pane of OOTS has to do with the characters suddenly transition to 3rd edition rules, yes? So does that mean before the comics posted online, Belkar was Good?

And clearly yes, I could pick up the books the next time I see them, (And most likely will), but I'm just curious now.

That was from 3 to 3.5, so the Good alignment restriction was already gone.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Is there anyway to fix him or is he a nice statue untill, I dunno, he dies of thirst?

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Thanks guys, I didn't know if the Lich paralysis had special rules about it.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Poor O'chul. :(

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I was really amused by how much Roy's dad was in the start of darkness book. He's such a jerk that even though he's good aligned he counts as a villian, haha.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
He also said there was one more in the works that'll be finished.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Aw, poor V. I want to give uh... them a hug. Who cares if its a girl or a guy.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Soonmot posted:

I thought he said he was keeping the cat around for a reason? I took that to mean he had found Mr Scruffy awhile back and was just keeping him in the sack.

I thought Mr. Scruffy was what he made his Spot check to find.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

MechaFrogzilla posted:

So, what does that mean? Stanley was using suggestion to control his casters?

I thought it implied the thinkamancer was using suggestion to control the other two, and that is why she is fine.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
How about we just make a NEW thread that is 'Fantasy comic time! OOTS, EW, Goblins, YAFGC, and more stupid letter combinations!'. This is pretty big and a name change/new thread with new rules might make everybody happy. Or everybody unhappy. Which is almost as good.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Its an elf chick, you see her a lot in the start of darkness.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERDS.

Talk like this is why I stopped playing DnD. Too much letter of the law WHY ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT THIS whining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Wow, that really is the best name for a village ever.