Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

the_steve posted:

I get the feeling that the rez attempt won't be so subtle.
It'll be something like a bellhop showing up to Roy and saying he has a Resurrection request.

Or, he'll get to some receptionist desk and the person behind it will give Roy a list of missed calls and messages for him.

Won't be the receptionist. When Roy was talking to his little brother he said something like "You must not have known to go through the door". So I imagine it's fairly obvious if they tried to raise him.

And this occured to me when I read the latest, remember that other adventurer who just went through the revolving door when he arrived? drat good foreshadowing if you ask me. It felt like something was odd with a cleric having the exact spell needed to raise his companion, since usually you have some leeway in when a person can be raised from the dead. With the difference in time rate, it's possible it took overnight for his friends to raise him, but in heaven it's so fast you don't even have time to stop. You just run on through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Jonked posted:

"Sigh, I'm out of lower spell slots. I guess I'll just cast Maximized Extended Create Food and Water :( "

I always thought you could just use a higher level spell slot without the metamagic feats. You gave up a higher level spell in exchange, so it wasn't too overpowered. Could be wrong though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Spaz mk. 2.0 posted:

A rogue using an assload of sneak attacks isn't really all that overpowering when you consider the fact that a wizard of equal level can simply point at an opponent and kill them with one save or suck spell. Or kill dozens or more with those nasty level 9 aoe death spells. Or simply outright kill them with no saving throw allowed at all if they're under 100hp with a Power Word: Kill.

Compared to that, a rogue doing 8 sneak attacks in a round isn't terribly overpowering at all.

Plus if you throw in poo poo like stoneskin, ironguard, plus all the other defensive spells I can't think of right now you can defend against the sneak attacks fairly well.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Hedgehog King posted:

Not only that, but he just made me want to dust off my PHB and look to see if the rest of the 0th-level spells could be made useful. Sadly, my handbook is four states away.

I remember reading an article from WoTC about prestidigitation, mend, and a few other 0-level spells and all of the random little poo poo they could do that seemed innocuous but could turn the tide of a battle quite easily. I can't find it, but those 0-level spells do have some very creative uses if you put your mind to it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Davethulhu posted:

I haven't played D&D in quite a while, do they still have that "random effect when drinking multiple potions" thing?

No, not really. I guess you could house rule it in, but generally it's treated like a spell in a bottle. They don't interact with each other, exactly the same as if you had just cast those spells on the person.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Kramer posted:

It would be possible, but it takes 24 hours to gain a new animal companion. Belkar only re-discovered Mr. Scruffy a few minutes ago.

Does a paladin's mount keep it's stat bonuses and all that after the paladin dies? Could have been the head paladin's mount, just cast enlarge on it or something and bam, paladin on a giant cat. We've already had a shark as a mount, why not a cat you have to enlarge?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

gothfae posted:

He wasn't a Paladin. As he pointed out to Roy, he'd just been had by an NPC class. Chaotic Good Nobles rarely have divine mounts.

drat, forgot about that. Worth a shot.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

SlimGoodbody posted:

I am jacking that curse so hard for some future game. Puking forever is the best-worst thing I can think of.

And it would work so perfectly, no one would want to help you and everyone would know you were being punished.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Idran posted:

But if it was that simple, what's keeping someone from writing things down on a second trip after finding out about the memory charm? I can't imagine the Oracle would have left that obvious a loophole in things.

For some spells you can specify certain people, classes, races, or whatever to not be effected. For a spell that big, I would assume that people who are specifically invited in by the Oracle are immune to the memory charm.

And in most of the games I've played in, people always forget to buy parchment and quills before an adventure so they wouldn't be able to write it down.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Donraj posted:

I've lurked in his forums. He says that he actively avoids reading speculation about what will happen next specifically because he feels compelled to change things around when people guess right. The board rules there even require speculation to be spoiler tagged.

I think he's just good at anticipating fan reactions.

He could just be a good writer and realize that the joke would get old, so he should stop writing that way at some point.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

ZorbaTHut posted:

I don't think my copy of D&D lists a penalty for fighting while pregnant.

I think it counts as encumbered.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Calaveron posted:

How would Survival help him kill? How would calling an animal companion help him kill?

I believe animal companions can flank your opponent, making them easier to kill. Depending on what you get it might even be able to find things to kill. If he does decide to call an animal companion, I can see it being Mr. Scruffy. House cats can kill commoners after all.

Survival not so much.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

I'm a big fan of the passcode needed to break the mark of justice. Apparently that lord had plans for Belkar.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Zereth posted:

Yes, but remember Belkar's conversation with Maybe Shojo. Old Belkar would just murder them.

New Belkar? He might talk them down so he can get surprise attacks in.

I don't think he's going to talk them down. He won't stab the cleric of Loki now. He's had an epiphany, but in this situation the socially accepted thing for an adventurer to do is to just start killing anything not you or your friends. He might try to minimize collateral damage and definitely try and keep Haley alive, but he's not gonna be doing much talking.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

The Werle posted:

One of the Rogue's swords is transparent. I want speculation as to why. Is it magical? Is it ethereal?

Permanent invisibility on the blade. Rogues might occasionally have a use for a blade no one can see, and it might give you an advantage in a fight as your enemy doesn't know where your blade ends.

Or he messed up the coloring.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

The Werle posted:

Its transparent both in the attack panel and the final panel where it rests on the ground, contrasted with several colored blades. This was done with intent sir!

I missed that part. Then I'll stick with my Invisibility on the blade idea.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Cabbit posted:

The guy with the see-through blade is using a one-handed sword and also doesn't appear to be wearing any armor, so my theory is going to be either:

2.) Invisibility on the sword trick, though Permanent Invisibility seems a bit pricy for some mook, and it should affect the hilt of the sword if this is the case. Maybe Blurstrike weapon, from Races of the Wild.

I stand by invisibility as you can easily wrap the hilt of the sword in something so that it's easy to draw and find. And It's not really that pricy, especially if he stole it from someone or a wizard owed him a favor.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

MikeJF posted:

drat, I guess this means that Priest of Loki's not joining up with the gang.

He probably wouldn't have gotten along that well with a priest of Thor. And this was a pretty good comic, hopefully things will keep moving along.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

DoctorTristan posted:

I don't really know 3.5E that well, but doesn't Mr Scruffy wandering off suggest that he isn't Belkar's animal companion, but just an abnormally intelligent housecat?

EDIT: /\/\/\/\/\ drat YOU! :argh:

Not necessarily, animal companions aren't just slaves who do whatever you tell them too. They'll take orders, but if they're smart enough they can interpret those orders. He might have just told it to cause mayhem and hurt whoever it could.

I'm going towards just really smart housecat myself, but the possibility is there.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Mylan posted:

"May the gods of forgive me"?

Hopefully the gods of typos will forgive him for not proof-reading this one :xd:

At least it's not a sword that didn't get colored in that's argued about for a page or two.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Sick_Boy posted:

I think she said "The gods of-" and we couldn't hear the last word because it is the secret name of a god, which also works as a power word spell, which she casted silently. Discuss.

Power word "Lawyer"? Possibly Power Word "Pontification"? I'm guessing creatures from an elemental or alignment based plane would have access to their own particular flavor of power word spells that reflect their own alignments/environment.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Johnny Aztec posted:

I was just coming here to post that :argh:

After The Belkar Party, V is pretty lackluster.

I think it's just a different way he's taking the character. V apparently has some drat good reasons for the way he's acting, even if what he's doing is bordering on evil. Belkar is the comic relief, V is not. This comic actually helps to explain a whole lot about why he's having so many problems with not having enough magical power. I don't think it's lackluster at all.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Vanadium posted:

But they are glowing in panel three and four and nine and not inbetween or afterwards. Actually he is not even casting in panel nine, and is casting in panel five and twelve. But still, that is not consistent with see invisibility, is it?

It lasts for a while, depending on caster level. It doesn't replace normal vision, just lets you see invisible things. He could still be seeing invisible things if they were there, there's just nothing invisible there for it to work on anymore.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

That "fleeting dominance in a mortal coil" sounds interesting. There are good elven liches, aren't there?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Nosy_G posted:

I'm guessing this is about where V is going to "say the right words at the right time to the right person" to gain ultimate power, as the Oracle predicted.

Don't forget it has to be "for the wrong reasons". To save his own life doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Affi posted:

True Resurrection has probably been house ruled out, otherwise we probably wouldn't have this situation.

Soul Bind specifically states that True Resurrection, or even a wish or miracle doesn't work on it, you have to break the spell manually.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

delfin posted:

The reference was to the dragon's disintegrated child being True Resurrected, not V's soon-to-be-dragon-chow kids. Short of a house rule, I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. Perhaps the removal of the dragon's hoard left him without a material component for TR or enough gold with which to buy one.

Soul Binding the kids and vanishing with the gems, however, is just a pure dick move of Biblical proportions.

It is a dragon though, so I'm imagining it could pull up enough gold somewhere to get the kid back. And dragons live a long time, missing out on a few years with their kid probably isn't too much of a stretch. It's probably just a plot device.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

Xykon is awesome. He's dumb as poo poo and has the attention span of a hyperactive mouse hopped up on crack cocaine, but that's part of the fun.

Well, as he said in an earlier strip he can't make new magic items for more than 8 hours a day and he doesn't need to sleep or eat. You'd get bored out of your mind too.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

bison wings posted:

aren't these the beings that Sabine went to visit when she learned about the Snarl's Gates? I remember those guys all had different colored eyes too, and the imp mentioned he doesn't recognize them. I can't check right now the giantitp site isn't loading for me.

edit: yeah, that's them http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html

So if I'm reading this right, these three beings are interested in things that can tip the cosmic balance between good and evil in their favor? And one of these things is V? drat, must be a hell of a deal they're giving him.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

happyelf posted:

(edit) also wasn't one of the snarl gates in elven lands?

Yes, apparently it was burned down in the origin book, I forget the title of it though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

bison wings posted:

My own quote is making me wonder... what do you think the will saving throws are like on a 75th level character? S/He might end up owing those three evil SOBs *alot* of time.

To me it sounds like he gets access to their powers, but his willpower is what has to control the other 3, not all 3 combined. Thats why they're saying that it may not last very long.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Shyrka posted:

Admittedly the demon and yugoloth might not have any such constraints, but in terms of devil law if a devil forces a mortal to carry out any of their obligations on a contract then the whole thing becomes null and void.

The point of a contract is that you can force someone to abide by it's terms. They can't force him to maintain the splice once he decides not to, they can force him to serve for the amount of time he used the splice. Otherwise a mortal could just say "I don't want to give you my soul" and trying to force the issue would null the contract.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

SoupyTwist posted:

That's not how pacts with demons work.

Seeing how the last comic mentioned he's "getting feedback, alignment-wise" I'd say he's firmly in "Evil" territory now. That and how V looks. Good/Neutral things don't have pointed teeth.

Pretty sure they stated he would have a hard time maintaining control of the splice. I think he can dump the splice when he wants to, they're counting on him to not do so.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Idran posted:

Goblins don't have the alignment "Always Chaotic Evil", so they aren't guaranteed to grow up that way. They're "Often Chaotic Evil", which means about 60% of them are or so. Pretty much no intelligent humanoid creature in D&D has anything more than "Often" in their alignment line in 3.5.

I just always assumed it was the same as any other children growing up. For the most part, they take their values from their parents.

Look at Redcloak. Is he really inherently evil? Or is he fighting paladins and hanging with Xykon because some rear end in a top hat said he was evil just because he happened to live with other goblins? It's a cultural thing, partially reinforced by the actions of outside influences. If someone wiped out my entire hometown, I'd definitely be pissed enough to spend a good chunk of my life loving up their lives, regardless of my hometown's affiliations. It really boils down to perspective.

As much as people hate talking about it in this thread, the Goblins webcomic does explore this topic. Quality is certainly debatable, but the topic is still interesting.

But goddamn, that's some hosed up revenge on the part of V. Holy gently caress that poo poo has to have some repercussions somewhere. No way that goes unnoticed.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

So is it going to be revealed that the dragon asked the oracle "What can I do that will cause [V] the most harm?" Because this whole Soul Splice foray is turning out to be an almost universally Bad Thing for V.

Pretty sure it was the identity of the killer of his child, not what will cause V the most harm. The level of information you can obtain as a high level magic user with an exact identity of a person in 3.5 D&D is insane.

seaborgium fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 22, 2009

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Neito posted:

Let's look at the SRD Good Vs Evil axis and see where V's actions would fall:
It's obvious V fails almost every test in this section. He slew hundreds (at least) of dragons for no reason other than revenge, when you boil it down, it wasn't an altruistic act, and he brought an enemy back from the dead simply to let it watch as he slayed those dragons.

Ahh, now this part makes sense to some extent. The act that brought this on in the beginning was V slaying an evil dragon to take it's treasure, in and of itself not that evil of an act. Neutral at worst. In response, the dragon's parent threatened some very evil acts upon his family, which it was fully capable of carrying out and was in the process of doing so before it was stopped. The dragon has obviously demonstrated that family members of a black drgaon are willing to go to great lengths to avenge slain family, so the only way V could be certain of stopping further attempts on his family was to remove all direct family members, plus their direct family members from the equation. This prevents further vengeance in two ways. One, there's no family members left to do the avenging. Two, anyone who tries to gently caress with his family will have obviously heard of this and will think very carefully before doing anything to V's family.

Done properly, this could be construed as an neutral act, depending on how much V knew about black dragons. Maybe his knowledge of chromatic doesn't extend beyond "Big, evil, shoots fire or some other burning poo poo at you". V may not know that this is just personal, and not something every black dragon would do in this situation. You could argue, at least up until the making the dragon undead to watch was nothing more than a safety precaution. A safety precaution against (for the majority) evil creatures that involves their death isn't really evil, more neutral, at least the way I see it.

After the undeadification though, gently caress that. Evil as poo poo, the fight was over. He could have waited a couple minutes while he fixed up his kids and life partner. No raising of the dead spell can't wait 5 minutes.

And I need to stop staying up so late, it brings out the D&D dork in me.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Wanderer posted:

It's not genocide. It is, however, mass murder motivated entirely by revenge. The fact that most if not all of the victims were evil doesn't compensate for the fact that it was cold-blooded murder.

You could construe it as not revenge, just making certain V's own family was safe from future revenge. The gloating makes it evil, not the killing so long as you argue it right.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Shyrka posted:

People keep saying that because V killed the dragons to forestall any of them trying to take revenge that it becomes less evil. I don't really get that.

If some king hears a prophecy that a child born in a certain month will eventually kill him, and he takes the step of killing all children born in that month, does his action become less evil since he's doing it to protect himself/his kingdom/his family (since he can argue that the other two would surely also be threatened by his untimely demise)?

The two aren't really comparable, at least in this kind of setting. Humanoid babies, at least in D&D, are generally neutral or good. They have no general tendency to be evil, nor the ability. In D&D, however, black dragons are always evil. They come out of the womb, if not completely evil, headed towards it as soon as they are able. They also mature considerably faster than humanoid babies. If V made his living killing every black dragon he could find, would you consider him evil? They are evil creatures in this world, and if allowed to grow and thrive will cause massive suffering to innocent beings wherever they are. He just did it faster this way. Now I think he's definitely not good, but his actions in my mind, up to the point where he ignored his family's wounds and did the revenge portion of his plan weren't really that evil.

And really, how the gently caress did Suvie come around? It's still V, he's just more powerful. I guess I don't get the contraction.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Sefer posted:

V isn't necessarily planning on keeping the power indefinately; he may just seek to reunite the party and/or defeat Xykon before he gives it up. Just because he wants massive arcane power doesn't mean he's not smart enough to know he'll lose control of the souls eventually and that he needs to minimize the time he spends with the fiends.

He's probably just going to reunite the party. The whole reason he was on the deserted island in the first place was to make a spell powerful enough to reach the lost members of the party.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Blobone posted:

Apparently they aren't talking in elvish anymore.

It's like movies or television when people are speaking only in a foreign language. You assume they're actually speaking german or whatever, but so the audience can pay attention to the visuals instead of reading subtitles you just have them speak in English. That's always been my thoughts about it.

Or maybe they're speaking in common so the kids don't understand that they're arguing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Cabbit posted:

Oh, and incidentally, Wind Walk totally punks out Overland Flight for speed. Anyone else think it's pretty funny that the mid-level straight Cleric could likely whup the level 40 gestalt arcane badass in a straight aerial race?

But that is the same level a wizard gets teleport, so it balances out for the most part.