Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

DoctorTristan posted:

He could just as easily blast Xykon and his entire army into goo and remove any need to put the party back together. The splice is going to end once he's done whatever he's going to do about the dragon and his family.

This. There's a lot of things V could do with that kind of arbitrary power, but this is about him and his family. He won't use the soul splice for anything beyond this encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

terminal mehmet posted:

Uh, isn't quickened disintegrate a level 10?

Did you catch the part where V entered into a demonic pact for untold arcane powers?

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Or blazing red eyes.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

No I think it's better to go the other way, have an RPG that just cleanly cuts everything into Good and Evil.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

The second edition would double the alignment axis with optional 'Very' modifiers, in both directions.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Granted, the tarrasque can't actually speak, but maybe there's a way around that? :shobon:

It's been acknowledged (in Start of Darkness, I think) that the Monster speaking is unusual.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Seftir posted:

Maximized energy drain. GOD. drat. That's mean poo poo right there. For those of you who don't know, level drain literally takes away spells and maximum HP for at least 24 hours before V gets a save against permanent loss or a restoration.

V just lost at least 8 levels from the last one, meaning 40 max HP. For a wizard that's pretty lovely. Hopefully V knows when she's beat and gets the hell out of there before she/he dies. That or the Demons pluck her out before she dies because they don't want the souls to go romping around.

If the first energy drain only affected the spliced souls, then I imagine the same is true for the maximized one.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Nilbop posted:

Ignore everything happyelf says.

Gonna give this a quote.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Uh just so you're all clear, Xykon's soul is not presently in the phylactery, it's in Xykon's body.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

I'm gonna laugh when Xykon's phylactery winds up at Girard's Gate.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Ashenai posted:

Not yet, I don't think. I've always said the Familicide spell was unequivocally Evil, but I think V is probably still Neutral. Just tending more and more towards Neutral Evil.

Nah, there's nothing evil about killing dragons at all, especially black* ones. It's pretty easy to identify the evil as 'making a demon pact for power.'

*lol racism

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

Can we please, please talk about whether or not a person is a good guy or a bad guy, or whether he's doing stuff for a good cause or just for his own selfish reasons, without a bunch of OMG ALIGNMENT DEBATE HRRNNG spazzouts?

So, why is Ray a big fat jerk?

Because he's Chaotic Evil.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

That's a pretty big word for Belkar.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

CK07 posted:

Nice wrap-up, though I'm concerned that V's soulbind secret will get out and be really ugly.

Really? You don't think Burlew set up that plot thread just so he could let it drop here and never get brought up again? Do tell.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Ashenai posted:

4 posts up :wtc:

Gosh you think maybe he was joking?

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP! :siren:

Not really

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Pope Guilty posted:

Three more days! C'mon!

You son of a bitch! I clicked this thread only to have my hopes completely crushed! :argh:

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

I wonder if everyone forgetting about Blackwing was more than a gag? That raven was awfully close to the Snarl. What if it got partially unmade?

Eh, I'm not so sure. I think it was just a gag, nothing more.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

crime fighting hog posted:

Isn't it "I'mma rip your head off and poo poo down your neck"?

That would be an exact quote, which is probably why this is just a reference.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Nilbop posted:

Now we hate OotS!!

Too many other goons like it, is the problem.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

ShadowCatboy posted:

Dammit, enough with the random encounters already.

Welcome to every RPG ever.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

HKR posted:

This comment literally proves to me that goons don't actually retain anything they read.

I feel like I should reply to this post, but everytime I start typing I forget what you said.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

The paladin with +5 holy cojones. The paladin who earned hundreds of scars "one saving throw at a time," when he wasn't swimming in huge vats of acid and killing sharks for Xykon's amusement. The paladin who saw his long-term imprisonment and torture not as an ordeal, but as an opportunity. The paladin who taught the monster in the dark that it's not a brainless fool, but merely a slave whose chains are beginning to chafe. The paladin who, when confronted with the person who caused his imprisonment, forgave said person. Just before warning him to never, ever do that to another person. Or else.

In short, the most badass paladin to ever walk the earth. That's who.

Wait I thought she died when the castle exploded??

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Pope Guilty posted:

You're thinking of Miho, the Lawful rear end in a top hat paladin who captured the OotS and very nearly killed Belkar. She was imprisoned in the tower when it was destroyed, was cut in half by the explosion, and will occasionally get to visit her paladin horse in the afterlife.

O'Chul is the scarfaced badass paladin who Xykon forced to do things like fight sharks in vats of acid.

Sarcasm is dead I swear to God.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

HKR posted:

yes because 8 days = a month.

♪ Oooh I need your love, babe ♪
♫ Eight days a month ♫

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Do all people spend so much time reading comic strips they don't enjoy? Or is this just a goon thing?

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Just go with "it." Let's not be romantic, characters are things, after all.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Hahahaha

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

You are lazy, Affi!

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Bobulus posted:

It's not even a very good list. I swear there was a better one for RPG cliques, but I can't find it in a casual googling.

This?

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Nenonen posted:

What a classy joint. Not a single customer raised so much as one eye brow over a half-dragon electrocuting a schmuck at the counter (except the guy pushed by the said schmuck). Reminds me of places...

It probably happens all the time.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

DoctorTristan posted:

He has levels in Feline Urban Ranger, and has chosen Belkar as his humanoid companion. As a humanoid companion Belkar gains a more cunning perspective on the world, and will instinctively protect his master even at great risk to his own life. Scruffy in turn gains the ability to understand common speech, and while he cannot command Belkar directly, he is able to influence him in subtle ways (such as by appearing in his dreams in the guise of an elderly aristocrat whom Belkar respects).

Well, I'm going with this as the official explanation now.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

TampaTango posted:

If you are a paladin, then you have to act like one or suffer the consequences.

Yeah, but no one minds acting like a total loving badass.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Honestly I think Thor would be pretty OK with that kind of worship.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Dame Cook posted:

You seem to have fortuitously avoided the 3.5 entitlement culture, where WOTC's approach was very much 'if we publish it, it's allowed, and the DM has no say in the matter'.

Uh, what? Stop playing with terrible limp-wristed DMs. If I feel like it, I'll prevent you from using the drat core classes from the PHB in my game.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Neito posted:

I don't know if they removed it, per se, but I know the guy who made the Hypertext D20 SRD said that the new license means he can't make a 4th Ed version of his website, so I would say it's significantly more restrictive in that respect.

Man, that really sucks. The d20 SRD owns.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Times like these are why I love OOTS.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Xykon who?

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

I just realized those two guards foreshadows not only some action at the palace in a bit, but also that they'll be appearing in it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

It's Miyo Miyazaki come back from the dead as a Blackguard.