Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Shyrka posted:

Considering the dragon would have teleported right on top of V's family, they're probably already dead in the time it took for that conversation with the imp.
I thought speaking was considered a free action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

CK07 posted:

Yeah, Burlew is getting a bit obvious in pointing out the gun over the mantelpiece. The part where V was going on about how the soul-usage would be easily forgettable blah blah was kind of a giveaway.
The true dick move would be to use that soul-takeover time to kill V's family as soon as s/he is done saving them. Assuming, of course, s/he doesn't do the whole imprison souls in gems and never give up control thing.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I wonder by which plane's reckoning if time they will determine how long V has those souls under control. A day in the Prime Material can be a year in some parts of the Abyss, or so my 2nd Edition Planescape boxed set told me.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

Disintegrate is sorta a quick death, isn't it? Maybe V's banking that the dragon will survive it.

Its kid survived it, sort of. "The wheels on the bus" and all that. Besides, I want to see more impressive banter and explosions before this fight ends.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I don't mean to be alarmist, but:

...did he just kill off my favorite villain character?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Liberal_L33t posted:

edit: Now that I think about it, considering the 'black dragon 9/11' angle of the whole thing, Redcloak might be able to parlay some black dragon allies out of the deal.

I think Zykon is more likely to "parlay" some allies out of this deal, thanks to Create Greater Undead. Who needs black dragon allies when you can have black dragon zombie allies that will never turn on you? Hey, why not create a dracolich or two?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I think most of you are forgetting the dragon had some soul trap scrolls and the gems the spells require. By trapping the souls, V's never really giving up control, so the fiends never get a chance to take over V's soul. Except the one, since the necromancer has in fact left the building.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

DoctorTristan posted:

Except that the sorceror certainly wouldn't have access to the others' epic spells. The souls obviously still have access to their spellbooks, and V's control let him dictate which spells they prepared (the splice description specified that he would be able to prepare all available spell slots).
edit: apparently I can't read, never mind.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

There's this little-remembered clause to Protection From spells you guys are ignoring in order to start up the whole alignment terror thing again: all of them provide a barrier to Outsiders. Outsiders cannot touch the protected individual.

I don't think that will be a factor. Protection from * doesn't prevent ranged attacks or casting (with the exception of mind-affecting spells and possession). Spell resistance also allows the Outsider to ignore the protection as well, and didn't V cast some kind of resistance spell while dealing with the dragon?

I like the idea of the unblockable teleport/impenetrable barrier conundrum, especially since it's so close to a known tear in the fabric of reality. There's definite kablooey potential there.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Donraj posted:

If V was in the 50s or 60s level-wise she'd be solo-ing deities and the Snarl, not Xykon.
That's a point I hadn't considered, and I'm guessing V won't think about it either. With that many caster levels it might be possible to at least investigate the Snarl in ways that haven't been done before. Let's hope somebody brings this up after he releases the souls (if in fact he ever does).

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Actually I'm pretty sure V's an invoker. Wasn't Necromancy one of the two opposed schools (the other being Transmutation or whatever Teleport was) back in 2nd edition? V says something about "hey sorry Teleport was a banned spell when I started out and I haven't gotten around to picking it up yet" at some point. Necromancy being a banned school would explain being unusually ignorant of the care and feeding of magical undead.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Affi posted:

I love Xykon so much right now. V was overconfident, and why wouldn't he be? And he's paying for it. I hope we get to see Xykon pull off a cool Epic Spell of his own.
I'm pretty much loving Xykon too. I think we've seen his Epic Spell though - Maximized Energy Drain. That's about as mean as anything I've seen a GM do.

New question: is V responsible for damages to the spliced souls? With each one being returned (at least) twelve levels weaker than they were loaned out, I think the fiends could make a legitimate claim. That's far beyond the normal wear and tear one would associate with a normal rental.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Ashenai posted:

I don't know how convincing the "arcane power isn't the solution to everything" lesson turned out to be, since the only thing that stopped V was... well, even more arcane power.

Actually, what stopped him was a fuckoff big rock.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Belkar is small sized, so class S weapons (daggers) aren't technically Light for him, right?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Trivial Fursuit posted:

Pretty sure it's a Bard spell, though.

Maybe for higher level bards.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

XkyRauh posted:

We haven't seen Nale & his father banter yet, either, and I'm looking forward to that!
Somehow this hadn't occurred to me but now I can't wait to see it.

VanSandman posted:

Also can a high level cleric banish an outsider like Sabine?
Even a mid-level one can. Higher levels could drop a banishment which does the same thing with a side of gently caress off. The main problem is those are very specialized spells and most clerics won't devote a spell slot to it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

You guys are probably over-thinking this whole chain thing. It's a holy symbol, Redcloak wears it around his neck. Of course he'd get it repaired. In fact, the chain being breakable suggests it's separate from the phylactery, like a lot of necklaces. I doubt the chain is supposed to be significant beyond "it lets Redcloak wear the thing around his neck."

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Pope Guilty posted:

Is this the return of the Semi-elemental plane of ranch dressing?

I wonder what they'll do with the kobold when they find V?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Theler posted:

While that is what the oracle said, that does not leave many possibilities. Besides becoming an intelligent undead not breathing limits his options. It rules out resurrection. It is unlikely that oots will want to create a lich Belkar so someone else must help him become undead.
Like maybe a certain pale-skinned, pointy-toothed lizard cleric who it just happens was dragged out of his comfortable kingdom-running gig to go adventuring in search of exactly the same thing the Order is looking for?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

RickoniX posted:

I was thinking, would anything be funnier if this entire setup was a ruse and his family wasn't in on it? He created an epic ilusion of a gate and told his sons to protect it, so they created an insular clan of sorceror's kidnapping and casting high level magic on a temple where their "father's" body lay when in fact he's on the other side of the continent by himself

I think we can be confident the gate is in the general area, since they were found before Girard had the power to set up that kind of illusion and they're immobile enough to force the layout of the Sapphire Guard's throne room. I do find the rest of this theory amusing, though.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Nilbop posted:

Belkar can do one monster of a jump when he wants to.

It looks to me like Roy threw him over the pit.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Nah, I think that Roy's just handing Durkon over the pit.

As much as I hate to think Rich passed up an opportunity for a dwarf-tossing joke, on second look it appears you're right.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

e: beaten on Holy Word.

I wonder if Sabine made her Will save? She's not shown disappearing. Also, I wonder if Belkar's far enough away to avoid bleeding ears.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

shelper posted:

So his Holy word is... holy?
Isn't it usually something a little more... personalized, i guess, to the deity of worship?

Casting every spell in OOTS consists of saying the name of the spell. Even Quickened Expeditious Retreat, which seems a bit too long to say and still be expeditious about retreating.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I wouldn't be surprised if that axe had some kind of special properties that made Tarquin not mind leaving it behind. Maybe clairvoyance or the ability to use it as a teleportation beacon or something. Either that or it was his spare +5 axe.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah but everyone also thinks the "last breath" is some sort of clever workaround so there's no way he'll actually die. You just can't nail this thing down. Especially now that the "becomes undead" option has been used for Durkon.

Necklace of Adaptation. He'll never need oxygen again.

(That doesn't work because respiration is required to speak, and a mute Belkar is no fun at all, but it's fun to throw out more speculation.)

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Kajeesus posted:

Oh yeah, Durkon now has access to Hasten Undeath. Over/under on when Durkon will create an army of NPC thralls?

Right after he creates a halfling ranger thrall.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Spiderdrake posted:

It's just being petty / testing yeah. He's Lawful Evil and envisions himself as part of the nobility or something equating to that. He finds out his son is dating the daughter of a petty thief or I guess even a terrorist in Tarquin's eyes. He wants to prove either that she's not good enough for him, or he's testing her to see if she's really dedicated to what's important (in his eyes): His son.
Or he knows Ian is far too paranoid to trust anyone. Tarquin's only chance of recapturing Ian is to get his daughter to find him, then swoop in and nab him. They do have that monthly stipend from Bozzok, after all. Gotta keep the books balanced.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The favor is more likely to involve killing Elan or otherwise rendering him unable to endanger the whole evil empire thing they've got going. Tarquin's the only one interested in living forever as a storybook villain. The others seem more interested in maintaining their lifestyle and keeping their kids out of it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Tarquin's gonna die in this desert. He's invested too heavily in this being his story, and he won't figure out that it's actually Roy's until he impales himself on Roy's plot armor.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Alchenar posted:

Guess what turns out to be the true relationship between the Snarl and the Gods.
I always thought it looked rather yonnic.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Soooooo... Bone golems?

Bone golems are constructs, not undead.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Roy's unconsciousness makes this harder to see happening, but it seems like the conversation between Roy and the High Priest of Thor should become important some time soon. Rich basically spends two whole panels showing us Checkov's Pardon there, it seems unlikely to be a throwaway.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The Chad Jihad posted:

I just noticed Durkon stopped talking during the fight like he said he would. Which is unremarkable but I'm remarking anyways

And he's still not talking. Because Durkon is the only one who realizes the fight isn't over yet.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

pseudorandom name posted:

Durkon very clearly surrendered to the tree.

Hel's probably upset at losing her most powerful cleric, and I wouldn't be surprised if she tried to rules lawyer Durkon's soul into her realm based on exactly that rationale.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I have a theory the next plot twist is that the Dark One's quiddity isn't unique. Because one other thing is drawn in purples: the Snarl. Did the Snarl raise the Dark One to godhood? Seems awfully convenient that his big plan is to free it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Phanatic posted:

"You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects stack. Remember that two doublings equals a tripling, and so on. "

What.

Anything that doubles some stat is actually read as "increase the multiplier by one." So doubling a thing twice is actually increasing the multiplier twice, to 3x, to avoid weird interactions that make damage go exponential or something. Wouldn't do to have melee characters doing more damage than casters past level 3, after all.