Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
The hint about "no ones uses around here uses their real name" makes me think he could be a Mindflayer or a Beholder.

I don't think he's something from out of D&D, I doubt the author would drop such a huge hint without having planned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Foodpie posted:

O-Chul is awesome. To put up with the torture, the games, all that poo poo. I love him. I really hope he stages a daring and monumental escape at some point.

Yeah, after MIKO (durr) it's nice to see what a REAL Paladin actually plays like. Paladins that are more good then lawful are one of my favorite to play in most settings.

tripwood fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 23, 2008

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

ZorbaTHut posted:

Though the one-in-a-million gag is ripped directly from Terry Pratchett :mad:

V's looked better. Like . . . lots better.

That's an hommage. And Pratchett only incorporated the one in a million chance thing to his books because of how common it is in fantasy fiction. Elan's all about knowing his clichés.

I liked the reference.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Rapiers have excellent crittage no? He could have had a good chance to hit him in ten rounds. :(

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Elan could be slowly shifting his alligment, too. That was definetly not a chaotic good act that he did, as a DM I would consider switching him to neutral good.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

terminal mehmet posted:

DMs who considers changing someone's alignment after one act need to re-think this whole alignment thing. My favorite way to use it was to get rid of it entirely expect for supernatural good or evil (angels and demons).

I wouldn't just plain change it, I would add some points toward neutrality and a few extra for Good. He chose not to act, how can that be anything but neutral? It's not an act that carries any kind of chaos.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

I think that it's just a little bit tortuous for anyone who's actually been involved in a lagging D&D campaign to see the same thing happen to some funny characters. I been there, I know how boring as hell it can be. OoTS isn't boring even though it's not very epic right now.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Is that a random thief or is he in bed with the succubus from the Linear guild?

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

But at the same time there are items and spells that affect people and monsters with SPECIFIC alignments so it's important that it is clearly defined.

If you cast Protection against Law, you don't want to argue if a character is lawful or not when he attacks you.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

That's a pretty good strip, the new characters are great too. V is a badass.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Durkon couldn't have rezzed V with only his head available, right? You'd need true resurrection / reincarnation for that.

Since the fiends are only interested in tipping the balance towards evil and destroy the celestials, I wonder what the hell they want to use V for. Controlling the snarl at the last possible moment or something else?

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

DoctorTristan posted:

Assuming they actually survive. He stated in the last strip that V won't be able to replicate divine magic. That's about as blatant as "If you should happen to kill someone during your power trip, there will be no resurrecting them."

Raise dead counts as a divine magic? I thought that the no divine clause was so s/he couldn't zap any demons.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

In nethack you don't get any XP for genociding a species, so I think the same rule applies here. I'm pretty sure the spell is called "Familycide" because genocide is not a very good word to use and implies horrible things.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Ashenai posted:

...no, I'm pretty sure the spell is called "Familycide" because it kills the target's family.

So define a "family" then. If taken broad enough, it means the entire race and/or subrace. It's only a spellname anyway, he could have named it "Varsuvius' major rear end-loving" and the same thing would have happened.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Ashenai posted:

I'm really starting to understand why the Giant hates his fanbase. I think I'll go back to enjoying the comics and not reading threads about them. You guys scare me a little bit.

Lighten the gently caress up, I'm just trying to entertain myself here. Your post made me laugh, which is pretty much what's best expected in these threads. Thanks for posting.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Something I've been wondering about, do the 20 levels of sorcerer stack with V's and the other soul's wizard levels? Seems to me it wouldn't.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

V's gonna lose more then a level, you know, when Xykon kills them both. They have no chance to survive. Wonder if they'll become zombies.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

He just has to kill himself and he'll regenerate right where the phylactery is. No need to find it! I don't know how long it takes for him to reform though..

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Durkon's always been a little too stereotyped and Lawful-Stupid. With all these awesome characters around him, he's definitely the weakest. I honestly wouldn't be that sad to see him go.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

terminal mehmet posted:

The dwarf with no inside voice died first there, as well. :(

Died? Or was taken by the rift?

Dun dun dun!

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Man, that comic kicked rear end!!
What do the glowing runes spell out?

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

I wasn't sure the glowing ones spelled the same thing, thanks.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Look at you all losing your time trying to attribute gender constructs to a beautiful traditional elven frock. You should appreciate it for its quality instead of trying to define it with your limited human understanding.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"but playing second fiddle just isn't in our family's blood."

Ironic throwback to Nale but also maybe a comment on how Tarquin already erased his own murdered son's inadequacies from his mind. Ice cold.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

What I want is a Munchkins OOTS expansion! That would rock.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

There is actually a lot more effort per strip nowadays though and it's easy to notice. It's probably going to become even slower with all the art upgrades and kickstarter stuff.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

I dreamt last night that Belkar was running around chasing some monsters or something and he lost his weapon. He was turning corners in a dungeon or something and that's when he met Justin Trudeau and he asked him if he had some weapons for him. Justin then brought out some ninja stars out of his suit and gave them to him. Belkar and me thought that was pretty badass.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Durkon just got the Leadership skill and Minrah is going to be his hench. Because what better hench to a pocket cleric then ANOTHER pocket cleric.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Lol gently caress. I know he died years ago but somehow the reality of it never set in until this post just now where you made me realize Carrot and Angua are never going to get any kind of resolution.

poo poo.

I thought that Carrot low-key did everything to NOT have an epic destiny and just be a normal guy. It is its own conclusion. Dude chose his own path and he's doing what he loves with the people he loves, looking away every time life (magic?) tried to steer him into craving more.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

I prefer the Discworld approach to undead, not all of them are evil but most of them are assholes. Perfect and I can have cool undead NPCs that aren't evil.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Durkon's got the shittiest constitution saves of any dwarf I've ever seen. Burn your dice and buy some new ones, geez

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

5e is really fun to play and DM for so long live 5e.
It is impossible to go back to 3.5e, impossible. Just thinking about grappling rules gives me hives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

I sure hope Durkon will turn undead!

(Love the throwback!)