Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Occultatio posted:

Heh, I just noticed a cute little touch: in the panel where they're all suddenly realizing the implication of the wind, Hinjo's cape is blowing WAY out of the panel, and all three of them are staring at it with freaked-out expressions.
If you take a close look at sky in the panel where Haley says "Someplace...else. Someplace where we can't see him", you can see a very small, faint "whoosh" sound effect.

How does something made out of slightly-more-detailed stick figures manage to have such excellent art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Big 3E ups for the "AOO" sound effect in the last panel.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

Mostly the 7th and 8th panels, specifically. I don't know how perspective so well with 2-D figures.
Yeah. I came to post that the eighth panel - the perspective shot with Haley waving at the end of the battlements - is astonishingly well-rendered. Again I ask: how can someone make such good art with freaking stick figures?

(Answer: He's very talented and has a superb technical drawing education, according to the Sequential Tart interview.)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Taerkar posted:

Wow. Didn't see that last bit coming.
Neither did that hobgoblin :rimshot:.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Robot Bastard posted:

<OMT>
Another Diana Wynne Jones fan heard from!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
If you blow up ( :v: ) the first panel, you can totally see a tiny little Xykon and Redcloack flying away.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MikeJF posted:

I suppose they'd have to be fairly certain that they can remake the world and the Snarl's prison quickly enough should it all come down that they themselves aren't in any particular danger, so they can sit back and be aloof and 'it's up to the mortals to save themselves lah dee dah crumpets?'
That's pretty D&Dish, though. They put in the effort by giving a chunk of their divine power to clerics and paladins. If the Gods directly intervened in real-world matters on a regular basis, there'd be no need for parties of adventurers to do anything.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:siren: New Strip Is Up :siren:

Nice fakeout in the last three panels.

E:f, b, etc.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Where'd Belkar's flaming, cringing skull go?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Roy and Eric putting the final touches on their toy-block cathedral is just about the most :unsmith: moment ever.

Also, the hits just keep on comin' for Eugene Greenhilt.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I love grandpa's pride that Roy has made it as a single-classed fighter, like him. Makes perfect sense that a grizzled old-timer has no time for faggotty prestige classes or minmaxing.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Roy's mom is a big ol' slut.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

crime fighting hog posted:

haha that's a great one.
Even better - those 27 heroism potions do show up a couple hundred strips later.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Or say she is the moon.
(she is the moon)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

I, too, miss the plane of salt.
A system that carefully distinguishes between para-elemental and quasi-elemental planes is not one you throw away lightly.

Who will speak for the vanished quasi-elemental plane of Vacuum?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MadScientistWorking posted:

And Elan is supposed to be the stupid one. That was brilliant.
He's a Dashing Swordsman. Those kinds of cunning stunts in combat are right in his wheelhouse.

Notice how the window in the door is positioned so she never sees Elan/Nale's facial hair or clothes.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Elan's summary of the situation was admirably clear and succinct and accurate.

He's slowly getting the hang of this "adventuring" thing.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cuchulain posted:

Also: Dictum
drat near killed 'im!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Hoo boy. The Resistance is going to need to step up its recruiting going forward.

Seriously, that's a lot of ex-Resistance fighters.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Is Origin of the PC's good too?
It's not as good as SoD, mostly because the evil characters' backstories are more interesting than the good characters'. Pages and pages of Xykon being an rear end in a top hat are better than pages and pages of Roy arguing with his dad.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mystic Mongol posted:

She's been getting away with this crap for months. People get incautious, and begin to believe they're entitled to what they get away with. Example, the Civil War.
Not just that - she thought Redcloak would fold because every time she had a conflict with him he'd back down. She thought it was because he was soft, but it reality it was because Redcloak is strong enough in his dedication to The Plan that he's willing to put up with a lot of personal poo poo from people in order to further it. But the moment those people threaten The Plan, well...

It also makes perfect sense that Tsukiko is a terrible judge of human(oid) behavior. Her whole thing is she doesn't get along with living people and prefers the company of the reanimated dead, to which she has a creepy mothering instinct towards. Misreading Redcloak was entirely in character for her, above and beyond the fact that we knew she was prone to making bad decisions by virtue of being a Mystic Theurge in the first place.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Any magical spells he might try to use to probe it would fail because it's got a thousand-and-one anti-detection spells cast on it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Alchenar posted:

my, it was awfully convenient that Redcloak lost an eye and had to wear an eyepatch right when his next sequence of strips was going to be mainly him alone with a number of identically drawn goblins.
If only he had some signature piece of clothing that he always wore so you'd always know which goblin was him.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jng2058 posted:

Of course, I do wonder what line Redcloak's going to spin to keep Xykon from just coercing one of the lesser clerics, maybe even Jirix, into casting Speak With Dead, which is a much easier spell to cast...
In order to Speak With Dead, you first need access to The Dead, in a form where they can Speak

D20 SRD posted:

You can cast this spell on a corpse that has been deceased for any amount of time, but the body must be mostly intact to be able to respond. A damaged corpse may be able to give partial answers or partially correct answers, but it must at least have a mouth in order to speak at all.
Redcloak knew what he was doing.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
New strip is up.

It's a doozy.

Some of the predictions made in the last few pages were exactly on the mark.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There was some nice, brisk, effective detective work by all the members of the party, including Elan.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Factor_VIII posted:

I don't see Xykon doing any betrayals or complex plots. He seems a very straightforward character to me. When he sets out on a course of action he pretty much applies overwhelming force in a direct way to achieve it.
Xykon is a very straightforward character, but some of his straightforward doesn't-give-a-poo poo attitude is a ruse to get people to underestimate him. He's quite a bit more cunning than his easily distracted nature would indicate. He expects his underlings to betray him and is usually quite prepared for when they move against him.

His overall philosophy and his methods are as plain and straightforward as Route 56 across Kansas.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nipponophile posted:

Man, I hope Rich is OK...
Rich's health aside, I think we're going to have to get used to longer waits between strips - Rich has taken on a lot of commitments to produce rewards for kickstarter donors, and every page he cranks out for the coloring book or O-Chul backstory is a page he isn't working on for OOTS.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Isn't it supposed to be the horrible accent every RPG nerd affects when presented with a dwarf under any circumstances? Really it's probably just fortunate nobody speaks in Pythonese.
Bad in-character accents are an integral part of the fantasy RPG experience, just like Cheeto dust fingerprints on your character sheet and yelling at your dice when they let you down.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Elan looks so wounded when Roy tells him his spellcasting abilities (and him personally) don't count for anything.

Roy in breakdown/meltdown mode isn't very pretty. Belkar was 100% right to call him out.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There's a new retro-themed tabletop gaming magazine called "Gygax" that's just started publishing, and it's running an all-new KODT OOTS strip in the back of each issue.

Something for all you completists to consider.

e: Arrrgh, brain cramp, mixed up my gaming comic strips. Apologies.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 24, 2013

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ursine Asylum posted:

Quick, what's the worst goblins page in existence.
Trick question: it's all of them

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Eh, needed more words and less action.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Did Haley make her reflex save against the Meteor Swarm by hiding behind Roy? Ha ha, awesome.

Also, it's nicely appropriate that Xykon's go-to combat spell is a pure direct-damage blast instead of some battlefield control or status-effect casting. Blunt, direct, and straightforward, just like the character.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
^^^^ Haley is just more likely than Roy to credit Elan with figuring things out by himself

Alchenar posted:

Nah, there'll just have been some Inception style time distortion. It's a dream. Time passes differently in dreams and events get cut out (do you remember how we got here? What did we have for breakfast? etc)
Yeah, they'd have died of dehydration or starvation if it had taken place in real time.

Also, on re-reading I noticed that Xykon's final word was Roy's first name. Heh.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It's a tribute to the cover of the original 1E Monster Manual

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Alchenar posted:

I like that nobody bothered to tell Belkar what the quest is all about.
Belkar ain't care.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The fiends are going to empower/takeover V just as she says "Gate", which seems lIke they're going to use her to cast a Gate spell. I wonder what is being summoned?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Nice Indiana Jones 4 reference with the cockroaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Nale's comment in panel 3 is awesomely near-future prophetic.

"My most hated enemies are about to die as I watch. I don't know that life gets better than that."

Also, good on Z'zdtri for casting his one spell and then immediately flying up to 100' in the air.

And with Malack dead, Nale can tell his dad whatever story he wants about exactly who deserves the blame for letting the gate explode.