Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

BAWRLIN posted:

NASDAQ symbol: DOOM

"When I first heard of Evil, I was skeptical. After speaking with Lord Xyklon, I invested everything I owned into Evil stock. It gave me a profit of almost 325%! When I tried to cash out, a hobgoblin cut off my hand, animated it and ordered it to kill me. Thanks, Evil!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Caselogic.com posted:

No, it was done away with in 3rd edition. It wasn't all that useful in 2nd either, the radius was 10 feet and was nullified if the paladin forced an evil creature into it. IE, charging towards something.

All they got now is an aura of courage, giving allies within 10' a +4 on saves vs fear.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

I love those hell-roaches. They always have a cute line.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Tyrants of the Nine Hells explains the Blood War and the origin of Devils. Devils used to be angels, of course. Before the deities created the multiverse, there was a void where Chaos existed. As the Lawful gods brought order to the void, they battled the demons. A number of their fiercest warriors began to adopt the demons' tactics and forms to better fight them. These warriors, led by Asmodeus, slowly slipped from Lawful good to Lawful Evil.

All this time, demons were corrupting mortals and spreading their chaotic taint among the worlds the gods created. Asmodeus and his warriors came up with the concept of punishment. They would punish the wicked souls to encourage others to stay on the strait and narrow. They built layers upon layers that they filled with wicked souls to burn and flay and torment the sins from them. The gods wanted to cast out their wayward angels, but according to their own laws, they could not. Asmodeus and his followers had just as much right as the most righteous of angels to be there. But he proposed an alternative.

Asmodeus and any who would come with him (all of them, by this point) would go from the heavens, which had become terrible places with their vile tormenting, and create a new destination for wicked souls. The gods were quick to agree. Asmodeus mentioned that they would need some way to sustain themselves, since they would be far from their lords' glory and unable to last long. He asked that they be allowed to draw power from the wicked souls they had domain over. Not much, just enough. The gods agreed and they all drew up and signed the Pact Primeval, a binding contract.

The newly created devils flew off to a barren plane they began to transform into the Nine Hells we know and love today. There, they punished the wicked souls they gathered and fought off the demonic creatures of the Abyss. Soon, the gods began to notice a slow in the ammount of souls that reached the heavens. They raged as Asmodeus, saying he could only punish wicked souls, not tempt them to wickedness. Asmodeus replied, "Read the fine print." The carefully worded contract revealed, with much beating of breasts and gnashing of teeth, that there was a loophole that the devils, and only the devils, could exploit. The gods could not lawfully intervene.

And that, children, is where devils come from.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

sakesniper posted:

Where are you guys reading all this Blood War stuff? Is it in actual books or is it rule book fluff? I ask because it sounds pretty cool :shobon:

Like I said, I got my info from Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells. It is pretty cool. The Abyss is nonstop whirlwind action, the Nine Hells are nonstop bueraucracy and when they meet it's nonstop violence. The devils might have known what they were becomming, but they are still doing their job. They battle the demons, using ruthless tactics that their former patrons would never stoop to. They corrupt souls by pact and bargain to sustain themselves so they can continue to fight the 'good' fight.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Factor_VIII posted:

Is that a WotC book? Because in Planescape the Baatezu and the Tanar'ri had originated as Yugoloths larvae that had been corrupted by Law or Chaos, which the Yugoloths then exiled to Baator or to the Abyss.

Yeah. WotC changed it up again. Devils are now fallen angels, like they originally were, and demons are the denizens of the universe from the Before Time, the Long-Long-Ago, a simpler time, when a man could look forward to a good hearty meal after an honest day's work.

I have a feeling that a Fiendish Codex for Yugoloths is coming down the line, but Demons and Devils have probably been the foremost fiends in anyone's mind. Demons have the abyss, devils have the Nine Hells. Yugoloths find their way into either. It'll be an interesting book, plus we should get some fluff if they do it the same way they did the other codices.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Idran posted:

Maybe so, but Yugoloths get two planes, Gehenna and the Grey Waste. Let's see demons and devils beat that.

Those are crap planes and you know it! :argh:

I think they also belong to Gods. Nerull kicks it on Gehenna, if'n I recall the Manual of the Planes correctly.

Tanari'i are a subtype for Demons, along with Lemoura and Obyrinth. Baatezu are subgroup of Devils, but not a subtype (to my knowledge). Looking over the list on Wikipedia, it seems that only former angels are Baatezu. All the other devils are just Outsiders (Lawful, Evil). Yugoloths are just Outsiders (Evil), to my knowledge.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

They very well might. Demons got 2 new subtypes with Hordes of the Abyss, Lemoura and Obyrinth. We might get some new stuff for Yugoloths, too.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Gassire posted:

Screw that, a single Harm spell reduced anything to 1d4 hp with no saving throw. Now that was fun.

AT least now it can't take anyone below 1. Screw that D4 crap.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I like second edition monks attacking a dragon. Because "I'm level 12 surely I can take him!" Nope, sorry, a human fist will never tear a dragon's hide under these rules, bucko.

Monks' unarmed attacks count as magic weapons starting at 4th level. Don't most dragons only have DR ##/Magic?

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 25, 2007

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Efreet saiid posted:

They said they're going off to buy new equipment.

And ice cream.

Sock posted:

Does "Shout" do some of that weird sonic damage that hurts everything?

A cone that deals 5D6 damage to targets and deafens them for 2D6 rounds, Fort save for 1/2 damage and no deafness.

Greater Shout does 10D6 damage and deafens and stuns targets for 4D6 rounds, Fort save for 1/2 and no deafness or stun.

Against brittle or crystaline objects, they instead do D6 damage per level (up to 10D6 for Shout, or 20D6 for Greater Shout).

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

greatn posted:

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned you could make a cure minor wound wand with infinite charges for really cheap.

Well, I looked it up, and all the rules for creation seem to indicate wands have just 50 charges. I didn't see any rules that allow me to increases the charges up to infinite. Where is that rule located? Because I have an Aaracockra air cleric on Athas right now and if he could make an infinite charge cure minor wounds on the cheap it sure would be excellent.

Cure Light Wounds wands are the most cost effective. :10bux:

You could make a magic item that would have infinite charges. The DMG has rules for use-activated/continuous effect magic items.

A wand is Spell Level x Caster Level x 750gp. Cure Light Wounds is a 1st level cleric spell, castable by 1st level clerics (all magic items are assumed to be at the lowest caster level) so the cost is 750gp. To create it yourself, you pay half the gp cost and 1/25 the cost in XP (375gp and 30xp).

To make a use-activated item (not necessarily in wand form) it's Spell Level x Caster Level x 2000gp. Pretty drat cost effective for infinite Cure Lights for after combat. 2000gp to buy it in a shop (but unlikely to be available, thanks to good old fashioned capitalism). 1000gp and 80xp to craft it yourself, provided you have Craft Wondrous Item.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 31, 2007

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

bgaesop posted:

Damage reduction works on all damage that comes from a weapon. Smite Evil is a supernatural ability, but that doesn't really matter. For instance, if one of the paladins was swinging a +1 Flaming Longsword, which would deal 1d8+1+1d6(fire), she'd still be completely unable to deal more than 15 damage (8+1+6=15) not counting strength bonus or Smite Evil, so that 4,000 GP magic weapon would be pretty much useless. Liches are powerful.

No, he would take full, unless he has Protection from Elements: Fire or Spell Immunity or something like that up.

Slightly wrong. The D8+1+Str from the longsword is unlikely to get through the DR, but the fire damage would. Energy damage is not affected by DR. Liches have no innate resistance to fire, so he'd take the D6 from the sword and full damage from the fireball (Reflex half). Unless he has Fire Resistance from a spell or item. A magic mace/warhammer/morningstar would go right through, though.

Wanderer posted:

The ghosts are incorporeal, though. Does it matter where he stands?

Not really. The ghosts could attack through the wall or floor, but since their eyes would be in the wall/floor our favorite Lich would have total concealment (50% miss chance).

Gumby posted:

It's not unreasonable to think that Xykon has an AC somewhere in the mid-30s at least. 10 base + 5 Natural Armor (lich) + 5 Natural Armor (Amulet of NA (do these stack? I can't remember if the Amulet increases NA, or just gives it, in which case it'd not stack)) + Ring of Protection +5 +, oh, let's say a 14 Dex , which gives another +2, +4 for Mage Armor and another +4 for Shield. I'm not even getting into miss chance stuff, since Burlew wouldn't want to draw it anyway, and Xykon might not even think of it in the first place.

Yes, they stack. Amulets of Natural Armor improved your existing natural armor by their bonus. A creature with no natural armor is assumed to have a +0.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 1, 2007

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

The +1 bonus would definitely not get through, which is why I think Smite Evil wouldn't either.

No it wouldn't. It's an enhancement to the weapon's natural damage, not unclassified damage on its own. With a flaming (or shocking or frost or what have you) weapon, it adds energy damage. Just because it's on a longsword doesn't mean that the fire is any less able to burn a lich. Fire damage is fire damage, not affected by DR. The DR of a Lich is still 15/Magic and Bludgeoning. A +1 flaming longsword will only do D6 fire damage to it because the magically enhanced damage of is only D8+1. You'd need at least a 22 Str and consistently roll 8 on a D8 (unless you have feats, but that's another can of worms) to do a single point of damage. DR can reduce damage to 0, but not below.

As far as the 1 HP = 100% capability thing, undead are unaffected by injuries like the living are are. They can function mangled beyond belief and even headless (with the exception of vampires and liches) with no problem. Living critters have the 0 to -10 threshhold of dying. At 0 HP, the magic that animates the undead can't sustain it anymore and dissipates. The living are just laid low and begin to bleed out. Their "living energy" dissipating at that point, one might say.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

DAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMNNNN...

Things take a turn for the decidedly worse. I really hope Roy gets rezzed and gets to be the one to tell Miko how she just aided the ever-nearing doom of existance. He deserves it.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

I wonder if maybe... Just maybe... Sabine will use her hookups ( :v: ) in the Hells to have some powerful devil 'restore' Miko's powers, furthering the Linear Guild's plans while making her believe that the 12 Gods have welcomed her back and we get a spunky, up and coming Blackguard for our troubles.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

UberJew posted:

Unfortunately the concussive force of the explosion is probably a force effect, and thus would effect an ethereal creature like Soon just fine, but likely allowed a reflex save, meaning that Miko is completely unharmed.

loving Monk Evasion. :mad:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Efreet saiid posted:

She can't become a snarly death knight, I want her to wander off and re-appear by suprise as the leiutenant of elan's dad who may not ever even be mentioned again!

He's the guy who has Haley's dad imprisoned! Obviously!

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Gyges posted:

True enough, but this doesn't work so well against skeletal undead who are already flying away as fast as their overland flight spell will let them. Notice that Xykon is between Redcloak and the explosion, the better to protect a smash prone phylactery.

Damage reduction doesn't count against impact damage of miscellaneous concussive force. A Lich who fell 20' would still take the D6 damage, even though the ground probably isn't magical.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

RickoniX posted:

What if the ground is magical but not blunt?

Well, if the Lich falls into a pit trap with +1 spikes at the bottom, that's magical Piercing damage. He'd take damage from the fall, but not the spikes.

farraday posted:

What if you get knocked into an the branch of a magical tree, does that count as magical blunt damage?

Technically yes, but the damage is from the impact rather than being struck by the tree.

RickoniX posted:

What if I swing a lich at an animated +1 club, who takes damage?

Depends. Do you have Weapon Proficiency: Lich? If not, the Lich would take damage because you can't properly weild him. If so, you'd still have to be making Sunder attempts to damage a weapon.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

MikeJF posted:

But what do you beat his soul to death with, then?

Another soul. Duh. :rolleyes:

Since the soul is technically the essence of the creature itself, it has the same extraordinary abilities. Damage reduction is an (Ex) ability and creatures with Damage Reduction can bypass the same DR of other creatures (ie, A vampire with DR X/magic and silver has its natural attacks count as magic and silver for the purposes of bypassing DR). Since the Lich has DR 15/Magic and Bludgeoning, its soul would, too.

This is all more or less moot because the phylactery is a magic item, thereby fullfilling the magic requirement, and most of them are blunt anyway. Even those that aren't usually have a flat surface.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 12, 2007

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

I'm rereading the whole series now, and I just noticed something. Pompey, the evil 1/2 elf hired by the Linear Guild, wears the same robes as the Holey Brotherhood, who tried to use one of the Snarl's rifts for their own purposes. Just an observation.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

Do you have a link to a Holey Brotherhood strip? I must have completely missed that arc.

Yeah, it's just the one panel but the robes reminded me of Pompey, who we'd just seen recruited by Nale at Warthog's School.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

They were only similar to Pompey's in that they had a hood, the color scheme was totally different.

Yeah, I noticed it in a later strip. Kinda similar.

quote:

Also, the Holey Brotherhood wasn't actually harnessing the Snarl's latent power, I'm pretty sure. They just liked holes.

Aside from the text blurb that says "So they went to each rift and defeated those that would use them for their own purposes?" I believe that implies that the Holey Brotherhood intended to use the rift(s) for their own purposes. If they were big on holes, a hole in the fabric of reality would surely appeal.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

UberJew posted:

Because it is heaven and I think if Roy wants to chill without paladins or people who were once paladins it will accommodate!

Paladins are raised up to be among their deities. Those of the faith merely arrive on the plane of their deity. Paladins took their faith a step farther than mere worshipers did and held their gods' teachings up as a shining beacon amid the sea of mere belief.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

UberJew posted:

Ex-paladins didn't, so... :v:

Yep. Sucks for them. If they breached their code of conduct, but still maintained the alignment (and no, I don't want to open that can of worms again), they can still go to their deity's plane. If they fell and fell hard? Somewhere more befitting their new alignment, either the Nine Hells or the Abyss.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Ununnilium posted:

I like how Redcloak is basically a Roy who hates humans.

The Sapphire Guard killed his mother, Xyklon killed Roy's father...

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

"I have a tattoo you've never seen" if I'm not mistaken. But now we have and Elan (maybe) hasn't.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Robot Bastard posted:

Okay, I can kind of understand someone making that particular piece of art, but drat--is that comic even a week old yet? That's some fast work!

There was an Order of the Stick thread in /34 on 7Chan. Don't ask me how I know that.

It's gone now and there's a crappy one there now.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

bgaesop posted:

That was me.

Godspeed, you maverick renegade. :patriot:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

If anyone has the chutzpa to do so, I'd like to see a pic of Elan in the style of AxeManiac's current avatar. I'm invisible, indeed.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

I think he was just positing a pro-stick-figure porn stance.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You just can't let me live the dream, can you Fuego?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Rehosted, just in case.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Uh-oh. Where's Roy?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Gally posted:

Thanks guys, I didn't know if the Lich paralysis had special rules about it.

quote:

Paralyzing Touch (Su): Any living creature a lich hits with its touch attack must succeed on a Fortitude save or be permanently paralyzed. Remove paralysis or any spell that can remove a curse can free the victim (see the bestow curse spell description, page 203 of the Player's Handbook). The effect cannot be dispelled. Anyone paralyzed by a lich seems dead, though a DC 20 Spot check or a DC 15 Heal check reveals that the victim is still alive..[/i]

Right from the Monster Manual (including the typo with 2 periods). So no dispelling, but you can use Break Enchantment, Limited Wish, Miracle, Remove Curse or Wish.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Choke Babies Now posted:

Oh, for the day when Belkar's path intersects with the BoVD.

He's obviously a Jerren, ignorant of his true heritage.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Gunjin posted:

new strip's up:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0475.html

I really want to see Belkars stats, his wisdom score must be hilariously low.

Probably a 6 or 7. That's a -2 Wisdom bonus.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

bgaesop posted:

It's spelled Dinglebert Slaptyback, but it's pronounced Raymond Luxury Yacht.

I thought it sounded a bit more like Frimptypoo Frumptypants, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

I take a bunch of utility stuff like rope, door spikes/pitons, flint & steel, tindertwigs. Things like that. You never know when you'll need that stuff and not have access to magic.