Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fuego Fish posted:

It's perfectly possible to do a story and keep it funny. It's just this particular scene diverts from the three currently established lines of action (V vs. death knight, Roy vs. Xykon, Belkar vs. everyone) and doesn't show us anything exciting. Funny? Yes. Cute? Yes. Unless? No. But there are those of us who want to know more about what's happening with V/Roy/Belkar.

And then there's me who likes to see everyone get their turn. Seeing what Hinjo, Haley, and Elan are doing is great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It depends on the DM: If he's gonna count the hobgoblins individually, they're so low powered that they only grant like 1xp apiece.

If he counts it as one massive encounter it could be worth something...but still not as much as fighting, say, a dragon.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wolfsheim posted:

I always liked Xykon, but man, this new strip really reaffirms my love. He's just such an rear end in a top hat.

But an awesome rear end in a top hat.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

God I love Xykon. Clueless, smartass, and super powerful are such a great combination.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

rantmo posted:

Even though the discussion on it has started

:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP! :siren:

I think Xykon's got this in three words.

Cone of Cold

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

BAWRLIN posted:

Edit: This would also assume a person who could cast at least 2 9th level spells a day. (3 For Xykon, since he Meteor Swarmed Roy....I doubt he's that high in level.)

At 18th level, when you can first cast 9th level spells, you get a base of 3 9th level spells per day. That's not counting bonus spells for high stats.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Zoolooman posted:

Hey guys.

The new comic is out.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0449.html

I say this in the kindest way possible. If you doubted Rich, it's time to eat your hat.

holy poo poo

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Women's Rights? posted:

That first panel is a thing of beauty. It really is. Perfectly suggests the epicness of the battle while still being drawn with little circles.

Is that the mystic theurge I see up on the castle near the smoke, laying waste to paladins?

I think it is. How the gently caress does he get that kinda detail out of stick figures? I love this comic.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spaz mk. 2.0 posted:

It's a badass crown, it doesn't need magic to tell the laws of physics to gently caress off.

I don't know why, but this made me laugh pretty hard.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

oh poo poo, RUMBLES

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Vicissitude posted:

Damage reduction doesn't count against impact damage of miscellaneous concussive force. A Lich who fell 20' would still take the D6 damage, even though the ground probably isn't magical.

Uh, yes it does.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

farraday posted:

What if you get knocked into an the branch of a magical tree, does that count as magical blunt damage?

Is magical part of its sub-type (such as magical beast) or does it strike as a magic weapon? If the former, no. If the latter, yes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sergeant Rock posted:

So what alignment do you guys think Miko was when she died? :downs:

When one dies in D&D, one's soul typically goes to a plane with the same alignment. So if we ever see her in the afterlife, and he uses one of the planes from the book, we'll know! Even if he doesn't, we can probably infer at least half of her alignment.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Factor_VIII posted:

If you killed the vampire and casted Resurrection on his corpse it should work (assuming that he wanted to come back).

As far as I know, once you're turned undead, you can't be Raised. Resurrection might work, and I'd sure as hell allow True Resurrection.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

greatn posted:

I've been thinking of making a spiked chain fighter just because honestly I think it could be fun and fit in on Darksun(where I'm playing currently) as a guy who started doing it as a gimmicky arena fighter, and had considerably more trouble in the actual world. I remember the OotS comic about such a build. Know of any good sites with write ups on this type of thing? Like, how to build X-character? Because I suck at builds.

How are you going to AFFORD a spiked chain in Dark Sun? Iron is almost impossible to find, and it's more expensive than diamonds. Are you going to make a chain out of pieces of bone and plants? It'd break the first time you hit someone with it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

"I'm a mystic theurge. I have more spells than you have hit points!"

So loving true.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IMJack posted:

Rehosted for your convenience.

This is great on many levels. The best, though, is the fact that a standard house cat can not only kill, but completely annihilate your standard level 1 commoner using stock D&D rules.

For those of you wondering how: It comes down to the fact that cats can do lethal damage at no penalty, and any successful attack does a minimum of one damage. And a cat gets two claws and one bite on a full attack, at a sufficient attack bonus to land its attack on a commoner far more often than not.

Your standard commoner has 2 or 3 hp. So a housecat can bring a full-sized human to 0hp (disabled) or -1 (dying) in a single round.

Of course, Tsukiko has many more hit points and probably a decent AC.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ashcans posted:

Isn't Belkar a Ranger? He's got to have at least four or five levels in that now. Would it be possible for Mr. Scruffy to have become his Animal Companion? :haw:

Yes. In which case Tsukiko is hosed.

Robot Bastard: Cats can grapple, but they have a pretty big penalty against larger opponents. A human could pry one off most of the time if they really tried. Which is reasonable.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

:siren: New strip is up!

D&D cats are totally badass.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Poor Roy. And poor Celia...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

3s Box posted:

This is his funniest strip since the epic cleric fight from the seige.

I agree.

'You get that [spell]?'
"Law domain."
'Nice. And made my save.'

Finding out that Redcloak lied about the save DC makes that whole scene even better.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm loving the Adventures of Belkar, Haley, and someannoyingbitchwithwings.

I really am.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Poor O'Chul.

I honestly believe that he's worse off than anyone else in the strip has been at any point. This includes the dead ones.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I love Xykon. So much. He's such a huge dick.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hedgehog King posted:

I realise that alot of people keep an eye on this thread to check for updates, but am I the only one that just checks the website? Of course, to be fair what usually happens is I check his website, it fails to load, and then I come here, as that usally means a new comic is up and one of you fine folks have rehosted it. Then, after the first 24 hours or so of his bandwidith getting hammered, I check it out there so he gets my hit too. Am I the only one that does this? And if I buy extra copies of his books, will this stop?

This is pretty much exactly what I do. I hit the site about once a day. If it doesn't load, I come here.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

I noticed he was awake, but was completely caught off guard by him being non-paralyzed.
I forgot those kinds of things wore off.:hurr:

Actually, O-Chul must have a massive amount of hit points. He took close to 100 damage there at least, if my estimates are right (submersion in acid is what, 10d6 per round? Jeez.) And he took a hobbo with him.

A level 10 Paladin would have somewhere between 80 and 100 hit points, assuming they have a decent constitution score.

1d10hp/level, average of 5.5: 55hp
16 CON, giving +3hp/level: 30hp

That's 85hp without trying. Which jives pretty well with the strip.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

greatn posted:

In my area most games use the 3/4 HP round down rule as well. Given that he'd have 100 hp if he had a 16 con

NPC's get half hit points every level, including first.

Heroes often get 3/4ths every level and full at first.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jonked posted:

O-Chuul could be Miko's player's new character :D

Miko was a NPC too.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MikeJF posted:

Wow. For some reason, that rift is really, really unsettling to look at.

It looks like a cross between a vagina and a spider. That's why.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gassire posted:

Please, in a DnD world that description could just as easily be directions to the tavern with the best jalapeņo poppers.

I'm stealing this idea for a one-shot, light-hearted adventure.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This entire discussion is why every D&D game I've ever run has had the same house rule. I call it the "gently caress alignment" rule, and all of my players love me for it.

For the few that have wanted to play as paladins, we've always worked out a code based on the deity that they worship. Turns out this is more or less the same method that 4th edition is going with.

Which I find awesome.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Werle posted:

Holy crap I get to do this..

:siren: New strip:siren:

You're all so wrapped up in fighting over draconian Paladin honor rules that you've forgotten about the actual comic!

Good callbacks to the Start of Darkness here.

Site's hammered. Any chance of a re-host on waffleimages or something?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

tripwood posted:

Yeah, after Tsukiko it's nice to see what a REAL Paladin actually plays like. Paladins that are more good then lawful are one of my favorite to play in most settings.

I think you mean Miko, but the point is valid.

But if you think about it, all three of the paladins have been different. Miko was nothing like Hinjo who's nothing like O'Chul. Hinjo has his own special breed of awesomeness, but O'Chul is better in every way.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm getting a definite monk-like vibe from the guy carrying Durkon.

Monks are awesome.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Church of Banjo returns, in all its glory.

All hail the lord of chords!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Superheroes, ninjas, pirates, and the loving Odyssey?

This might just be the best single strip ever.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

New strip

Man, I love Belkar.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mylan posted:

Have you read his forums? I used to browse them before I discovered the OotS thread here. It's 10% discussion and 90% OMG LOL that was the best comic ever! Elan is SOOOOOOO cute!! :suicide:

I tried to browse them and quit for this exact reason. Several months later I found this thread and THANK YOU Something Awful for once again proving that you're the best forum on the internet.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Apocron posted:

What does the curse do exactly?

Anything the DM wants it to do, but ability damage is pretty much the most common. Belkar will probably just slowly waste away.

And it probably hurts like a bitch, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This has to be my favorite strip in the entire comic. There's a few others that come close, but this one is just awesome in so many ways.