Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Regalingualius posted:

And then the real punchline is that Xykon just casually one-shots it with a Meteor Swarm?

From the inside. His particular version of "Shhpshnsh"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

oobey posted:

Could you imagine the absolute horror of being born into a reality where the concepts of Good and Evil were universal binding laws? And then to further find out those concepts were decided upon by a single deeply flawed entity?

Redcloak can.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I appreciate the K6BD spin on this iteration of Alignment Chat.

Maybe the Wheel-turning King can break the cycle, but I doubt it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Once per round, they can cause everyone of their choice to make a save or suffer the effects of the Vicious Mockery spell.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

shirts and skins posted:

Yeah DJ Moore is officially benched until he shows better. Enough 55 yard 0 TD games.

But what alignment is he?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

What's with the big white glowy ball following Varsuuvius around? I wanna say its their ioun stone, but those are usually depicted as just a little black pebble (when we see it at all).

Is it a scrying sensor that no one is noticing?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's a Light spell. It's what lets the non-dwarf party members see in dark caves. They also had it when chasing the vampires through the dwarf village and there was a whole thing about only the dwarfs being able to see when the anti-magic beholder eye suppressed it.

That's it! I knew there was a non-nefarious explanation.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

W.T. Fits posted:

Odds on a gelatinous cube showing up at some point?

Only if it knows Kung Fu, a la Rusty and Company.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

W.T. Fits posted:

And now I'm sitting here thinking about that Spiderverse story Marvel did where there was some villain going around to the various alternate universes and killing Spider-Man and devouring his soul or whatever, and when he tried to get Spider-Man from universe where the newspaper strips take place, he got freaked out by how time seemed to keep repeating/looping on itself because each newspaper strip consists of three panels:

Panel 1: recap what happened last strip
Panel 2: develop the story slightly
Panel 3: tease what's going to happen in tomorrow's strip

So he ended up deciding, "gently caress it, I'm gonna go insane if this keeps up, I'm out of here," and that was one of the few alternate universes where Spider-Man managed to avoid being murdered and having his soul devoured. :unsmith:

The same can't be said for Hostess Fruit Pies Advertisements Spider-Man, though. :smith:

This one?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

:perfect:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Patrick Warburtin for V, modulated up in pitch.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

habeasdorkus posted:

How many people actually play high level characters as a percentage of folks who play in general? I can't think of any characters in campaigns I've run or played that that started at level one that have reached level ten. As a player and DM the 3rd-7th level seems much more like the most frequently played levels for folks in regular groups. And it's the higher levels where the spellcasters really take over in d&d.

My group's campaign is coming up on it's 4th anniversary in May. We're level 11.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sunny & Elan spin-off series when?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

jng2058 posted:

I'd read it. Throw in Haley being exasperated and it's perfect.

Incorrect.

Add Greyview, and now it's perfect.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The gate is buried under a few hundred tons of rock, ice, and snow because Serini knew there was no good reason for anyone to ever access it and caused an avalanche to bury it. .

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

girl dick energy posted:

Nale had the same problem as a lot of kids raised by evil 'self-made men', where they get all of the ego and "I am the main character and I deserve to have everything go my way', but without any fear of failure, or ability to conceptualize that the universe does not necessarily agree with that assessment, because they've always had certain advantages, to the point they don't even know how to imagine a world where they don't have them.

Edit: To put it a certain way, Tarquin rigged the game because he believed that he deserves to win. Nale also believed he deserves to win, but never really internalized that he'd been playing with a stacked deck the whole time, or that Tarquin might be a better player than him.

But enough about American politics

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The page where Roy is asking the Oracle where the bad guys will go next while leaving a huge loophole that the comic points out by switching to team evil’s pov.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

One of my favorite (somewhat) understated things about 2e cosmology is that beings of pure <alignment> are all awful in their own way. The more pure, the worse they are.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Also, wall of force is one of the most versatile and powerful battlefield control spells. It’s stupid powerful in the hands of anyone with half a brain.

This thing gets them at will.

All it has to do is get a wall up between it and Xykon, and it can escape.

Done right, it could summon an army while behind invisible, invincible force fields.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That's the key point. That sort of unflattering, gendered comedy was super common in the first half of the strip. There are examples of it everywhere. Very few are egregious, individually, but taken as a whole, it's very clear there is misogyny at play.

I'm extremely proud of Rich for finding the pattern and addressing it with grace. We need more of that, everywhere.

Nobody's perfect. What matters is how you handle it when you become aware of your shortcomings.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Of course O-Chul has such a wholesome skill.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Podima posted:

Let's start the betting, I'm putting my money on V's astronomy being what inexplicably matters eventually.

Also the penultimate panel makes me realize how rarely we see that front-on angle nowadays.

I put my money on all of them, if only because the comic has gone out of its way to show that shell games are always rigged. Why pick one when "all" or "none" is a valid answer.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SuperKlaus posted:

Post/av combo, sort of, but also

Of course O-Chul has the skill most likely to involve HP loss and saves versus poison.

Hahah also true.

O-Chul is my favorite secondary character, by far. "One saving throw at a time" is such a good line. Humble, yet badass.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raenir Salazar posted:

IIRC modrons are a massive pain in the butt.

It has Wall of Force. At Will. That spell is an I-Win button with even the slightest amount of thought. It's huge. It's impenetrable (except with disintegrate or dispel). It can be shaped into a wall or a dome.

Although now that I think of it, Sunny is actually a really good counter to that. No invisible forcefields if there's no magic. Huh. Also Beholders get disintegrate at will. Huh.

Those two are going to cancel each other out in the big fight, aren't they?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ah I was thinking of 5e Wall of Force, which is somehow less broken.

Both versions are still instantly destroyed by Disintegrate, which Sunny can do at will also.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Noah posted:

:siren:https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1279.html:siren:

surely the big emphasis of the cauldron and the memory talk is coincidental.

Oh man, I bet she modified her own memory to forget the actual state of the final dungeon and remembers only the stasis traps. That way if she ever reveals the secret, it's the wrong secret.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

How did we get here, Kronk?

I know. By all accounts it doesn’t make sense.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Soon's defense was still weak.

When your defenses only have one layer, they're vulnerable, even if that layer is All the Paladins. Serini is absolutely correct in layering her dungeon. She can't get Miko'd, or Familycide'd, both of which were disasters because the single layer of defense (paladins and magic family, respectively) had a vulnerability no one considered, least of all the person who set up that defense.

Soon, Girard, and the others all assumed that they knew the best way to defend their gate. They refused to take outside input, and their defenses fell when something happened that they could not have foreseen.

Serini is smart enough to know that she could never possibly know all of her weaknesses and biases, so she got help. She's deliberately made this a gauntlet that challenges every type of potential intruder. It's got counters for magic, brawn, smarts, idiocy, and even luck. The sheer variety of the defenses are its greatest strength, and it's absolutely no surprise that her gate is the last gate standing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

sebmojo posted:

also the way it talks, that's badass style speakin

Unquestionably polite. Urbane, direct, and dismissive. Utterly dangerous.

Victor von Doom is often written the same way.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ultrafilter posted:

I sure hope Greyview is OK.

I hope he is not, because then he would not be Greyview.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Slashrat posted:

I recall being introduced to the comic around 2006 when I started at university, but was vaguely aware of it before that so it still felt like coming to the party late. I can't even remember where the storeline was at then.

Do we got any goons who were along from the beginning of Dorukan's dungeon?

I picked up OotS before the Linear Guild showed up in the Dorukan's dungeon, but not at the very very beginning. I *think* my first strip was either the "up a level, down a level" joke or maybe Elan being invisible. Both are in the first 30ish strips.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah, Belkar is painted as one of the most lethal and minmaxed people in the party, so he clearly knows something we don't.

He's hell on wheels against mooks. Multi-attack is weak against single, high-defense targets but *really good* against swarms of weak ones. He completely wrecks a couple hundred goblins during the Azure city invasion, but he SHOULD, if he's making a ton of attacks around with these kinds of numbers:

+23 for 1d3+15
+22 for 1d3+9
+18 for 1d3+15
+17 for 1d3+9
+13 for 1d3+15
+12 for 1d3+9

Obviously his stats were lower back then, but a basic goblin has AC 15 and 5hp. A basic hobgoblin has AC 15 and 6hp. He can kill six of either every round right now, without trying. He only misses on a 1 and a 2 or lower on his final two attacks (was a 1 an auto-fail in 3.5? if so his first five attacks all have the same chance of failure). He could probably kill four or five a round even several levels ago. They, on the otherhand, could not hope to hurt him reliably with their paltry +2 to hit and 1d6 damage.

What are his most badass, lethal moments? Killing waves of goblins (mooks), a ton of low-level adventurers during the ambush in that one city (mooks), killing a bunch of low-level thieves (mooks) at the guild, and befriending an allosaurus, who is now MVP against a dragon.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sunny about to get healed and telekinetically fly some paladins up to join the fight and O-Chul will say something both humble and badass as Belkar jumps into the dragon's maw to save Bloodfeast we get a chestbuster joke when bloodfeast turns back into an allosaurus inside the dragon and Blackwing makes yet another "not this extremely specific situation again" joke.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

drat, V, you couldn't have waited just another second?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Staltran posted:

V needed line of effect for the dispel, no?

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask but one question: what's better, the rules or exploding a dragon with a dinosaur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Capfalcon posted:

Counterpoint, V being eaten by a dragon and then exploding out is something that V has a history of doing.

I'd like the court to note that opposing counsel has confirmed precedent that exploding a dragon from within is, in fact, really loving cool and the character in question knows it.