Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Leikr Elferston posted:

I will pay you to put me back on your ignore list
I'm holding your dumb rear end to that. Lurdiak, post proof he's ignored again and let's start the Toxx clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
What the gently caress server is OotS on, a tin can with some string to connect it to the routers?

Going through the archives is being made very loving difficult by the website's love of timing out 19 out of every 20 times I try to load any page.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

Also, a wizard can only own spell books containing a certain amound of spells. If he buys more spells than he's allowed to own, the older spells in his spell book go blank. :(
Isn't the solution there "buy a bigger spell book"? Because if that's an option, blanking older pages seems to be the game trying to be easy on you. "Okay, you've got 16 spells but you can only fit 10... so fit 10 of 'em in until you can get to the bookstore."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Cabbit posted:

Wizard stuff
Wow, that's way better than the current system. I don't know why people are complaining, except that maybe I'd let Wizards change their loadout any time they're at rest, because doing poo poo like "oh hey we're going up against a dragon tomorrow, better load some fire protection" is awfully helpful. But that's a simple house rule to fix.

Cabbit posted:

Yes, I'm hiding the glory of taking ten plus minutes to cast Animal Messenger or Knock. Silly me.
Outside of combat, who cares how long it takes?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

terminal mehmet posted:

Uh, that's what they're working on.
Can it be worked on quicker, please? While it was great seeing Belkar get his comeuppance, even for a second, the party's been split for 86 drat strips now. That's more than long enough.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Enderwastaken posted:

New one up

I don't remember that prediction, though I do recall him saying he wouldn't have too many more birthdays.
He told Belkar to savor his next birthday cake.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

It's not exactly pushing the realms of believability to give peasants some ranks in Knowledge (local dangerous wildlife).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Which was fine for me when she was dumb/egotistical enough to assume that all creatures must have some kind of spell-like powers ("Not even lightning?"), because that's what she's used to. It's not drooling, blithering idiocy on her part.

In this comic, however, she's beyond stupid. She's Elan.
Hell, Elan would at least be genre savvy enough to know what he was walking into when he saw Greysky from a distance. She's assuming an entire town of always Lawful Good just because she is; not even Elan's that dumb.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Celia = still a loving moron.
At least she had some glimmerings of intelligence this time. Given her current rate and the approximate update schedule, in two or three months she might be able to outthink an average 8 year old.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Yeah, the odds of Roy needing a True Ressurection just went up considerably, I'd say.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Dr. Ron Paul posted:

If Resurrection can't get Roy back up, none of them can. They all have this qualifier: Constructs, elementals, outsiders, and undead creatures can’t be resurrected (except for True Res, which lets you res everything but Constructs or Undead). So if Burlew decides that means you can't resurrect something turned into a construct, he's SoL, if it means you can't resurrect the construct but can still res the person, he's in the same place as before.
No way does that fly, though. Roy's not a construct. The fact that his bones have been used as material for a construct is immaterial.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This is still wheel-spinning C-plot bullshit. You never split up the party and this right here is exactly why.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I can't imagine, no matter how hard I try, that anyone cared how the imp managed to summon the great big demon -- wouldn't we all have been perfectly fine going along with "putting the odds at a million to one guarantees it happening", given the setting? And I also can't see why the gently caress "Varsuvius tries to banish demon, it fails" needed more than two panels. That was just bad in so many ways.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

tazman posted:

I love how this guy is playing off every inherent flaw in a hero being lawful good.
That was Miko. Elan's a Bard, he can't be Lawful.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Depends on whether you think there's any subjectivity within a given alignment. Elan's Chaotic Good response is "It would be wrong to kill an enemy who surrendered, but I am not opposed to giving you a good beating." My Chaotic Good response to that situation is "You are an expert at manipulating Lawful justice to worm out of paying for your horrible crimes, so I'm going to run you through, ensuring that you don't escape and sparing you from death by drowning."
My CG response would be identical to yours. "Turn you over the courts, which you've shown time and time again have no power over you and you've in fact bragged about being able to manipulate? Yeah, that's not going to happen -- I'm going to end your Evil while I have a chance to do so." When Chaotic Good meets Lawful Evil, the proper response is to work outside the law. That's why you're Chaotic, after all.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Belkar's also pulled stunts like emoting about his tragic past just to get enough bonus xp to level up, which is hardly a GMPC thing to do. The OotS forums are full of it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Cabbit posted:

Yes, it's not, but so far I've only seen pretty arbitrary criticism. People seem to be confusing "I don't like this, this sucks" with actual, legitimate criticism.
"Abandoning every plot thread to dick around with newly invented C-plots that don't even lead to character development for 100 strips is a terrible idea" is neither actual nor legitimate criticism?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

I used to read Sluggy. I loved it, until sometime after Bun-Bub's massacre of the holidays.
Huh. That's exactly where I dropped it too.

Did Torg and Zoe ever get together or are they still Ross-and-Racheling that one after 11 years?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Huh. Is it just me, or did the comic get really loving good again all of a sudden there?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mushrooman posted:

So, what do you think? Alignment shift from Chaotic Evil to Neutral Evil?
Chaotic Neutral has a rather unfortunate "raving loving lunatic" reputation attached to it, but it sounds about right. I somehow doubt Belkar became more of a fan of following the rules, but he doesn't seem so inclined to do evil just because evil is fun anymore.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

If Haley's at all smart and/or Celia lets her, she can draw a pretty bright line between what she stole and what she recieved as her pay as part of the Order of the Stick, but... yeah, Celia needs to get herself out of the deep hole of Lawful Stupid she's been digging lately before I start rooting for every random encounter to end in her death.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Spikey posted:

I'd say that she's more Stupid Good than Lawful Stupid.
Yeah, you're right. I went Lawful because she's a lawyer :downs:

Definitely Stupid Good.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The alignment square is unchanged. We have transformed it into a cube by adding the Stupid/Smart axis.

Hey, did I just invent the Smart alignment? That'd be awesome!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Robot Bastard posted:

Huh. Some interesting Alignment shifts going on here. Belkar moving to Lawful Evil, V moving to Neutral Good...
I am going to facepunch the next person who watches Chaotic Good Shojo give a lesson to Chaotic Evil Belkar about how to break more rules without getting caught and thinks "wow, Belkar's Lawful now", I swear to God I am.

Nothing personal, you understand.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

terminal mehmet posted:

I'm of the opinion that Belkar finally just put a point or two into Intelligence.
I think he's been pulling some rather Good acts lately, and there's an alignment for people who do both Good and Evil things, but that's arguable.

Which, y'know, we've got three weeks or so before a new comic comes out and V being a whiny insomniac was boring before and continues to be so, so... yeah. We got time.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

A Big Dark Yak posted:

If Belkar's "conversion" prompts the rest of the party to get into a retarded internet-style slapfight about alignment, all as a way for Belkar to sow more chaos in the party while still looking like he's innocently trying to do right, I will buy the drat compilation book with that comic in it, because it would be brilliant.
If Belkar's "conversion" prompts the rest of the party to get into a retarded internet-style slapfight about alignment, I will buy the drat compliation book with that comic in it because the party will finally have been loving reunited.

Anyone remember when the entire party used to show up together in one strip and all talk to each other? Those were good times.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Here's the last two strips:

V: Go away, Imp.
Imp: No. Wanna be evil?
V: No.

Why did that take 24 panels? V's storyline immediately drags the pacing down to a glacial crawl every time it gets brought up and Burlew keeps on seeming to think that this plot is just awesomesauce and he should linger on it whenever possible. This isn't even writing for the trade; tell me that if you buy this collection, you're not going to say "Oh gently caress, V pages" and start immediately flipping ahead to something good.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

That dragon was only a Young Adult. I agree, it's mommy or daddy out for some revenge.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Today's twelve panels:

Imp: I will help you!
V: How?
Imp: I have no idea.
V: Me neither.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Neito posted:

Right now, the reason isn't "Save my family", it's "Save my family and my pride". Thus, it's the wrong reason.
Yeah, but a bunch of demons -- plural -- are the right person -- singular? And now is the right time? "Disintegrate. Gust of wind." works much better in the end. Right four words to the right person, to end that guy's stupid loving scheming, but for all the wrong reasons, since he did it just because he didn't care about that dude's plot, and it's a straight line from then to now.

Burlew will probably never clear it up, because I think he feeds on nerd debates on the Internet or something.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

HKR posted:

Also remember the few days Roy spent in the celestial realm equaled months in the real world.
They were months, he just had no internal or external ways to sense time passing and everything was so perfect and joyous that the time flew by. They were pretty explicit about that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Disintegrate is sorta a quick death, isn't it? Maybe V's banking that the dragon will survive it.

tazman posted:

Sooo, will this whole Soul Splice thing affect V's alignment?
Depends on the DM, I guess, but personally I would have knocked V straight to Neutral for agreeing to the pact, and would be watching like a hawk for Evil acts.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Holy poo poo, V. Look about fifteen miles behind you -- that's the line.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Kuroshi posted:

Anticlimactic, but amusing nonetheless. Amusing in its anticlimacticness, even.
Exactly why it's funny. V giving no gently caress for storylines that have worn out their welcome is funny. V then getting the rug pulled out from under her when she tries to have a big showy triumph is hilarious.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Gyges posted:

Well, was also successfully saving V's family and insuring no Black Dragon would ever gently caress with them, ever. So there's that.
And at this point, the celestial GM is beating "you did what you needed to do, let go of the goddamned power, rear end in a top hat" into V's skull as hard as humanly possible. And it's awesome.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Either way, I'm just glad the Order's all back together :)
Me too. They're actually doing that thing, what's it called... oh, right! Making jokes! I missed that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

terminal mehmet posted:

You guys are so funny with your arguments about how premeditated murder is justified and therefore a neutral act, at worst.

I feel sorry for your GMs.
"Killing is okay if they're evil" is pretty much the core tenet of D&D. Do you weep for the poor orphan hobgoblins you're making?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ZorbaTHut posted:

If I ever make an RPG, I'm going to make sure it has a subjective complex badly-defined four-axis alignment system.

"Yeah, well, I'm Lawful Selfish Atheist Neutral! My alignment requires that I behave that way!"
"You're completely misinterpreting the rulebook. That behavior is what a Neutral Corporate Buddhist Neutral character would do. Don't you even understand what Atheist means?"
"Hey guys, if I use Smite Heretic, but I'm Polytheistic, does it work on demons?"
As the inventor of the Smart/Stupid axis, I demand that you use it :colbert:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Hopefully it's a chance at redemption of a sort -- if V breaks the invisibility to save O-Chul, he takes a pretty big step towards burying the guilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Redemption ain't cheap.