Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
From my point of view, I'd probably have to agree that she's Fallen as a Paladin. If so, if the character's going to stay around, she's either not going to notice, or completely reject that it has happened. If she becomes aware, and accepts it at this point, I'd be almost certain that she'd commit suicide.

I doubt she can take onthe entire Sapphire Guard and the Order of the Stick by herself, so it seems likely that she'll be taken down. And if she is, she'll wind up imprisoned, at least up to the coming invasion.

And if she's in jail, she'll probably run into the only character we've seen in Azure City who isn't obviously evil-by-look to a Paladin whose Detect Evil capability isn't working anymore, and has a vested interest in taking her side in this matter... Nale.

That's my prediction at this point. Mikko escapes with the Linear Guild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

rantmo posted:

:siren: New strip is up! :siren:

Oh man, Redcloak is in charge of the show now!

I don't think he is, actually. Granted, as the only one concerned with a battle plan, and the army answering to him, yes, he's in charge of the actual battle-fighting.

But... I don't think Xykon appeared in today's strip. I think that's a Skeleton in a robe.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Taear posted:

This is going to sound stupid, but I wish the title of today's comic wasn't "He's Dead Jim". Way to spoil it for me before I'd clicked over!

Didn't see it that way. Given the rather consistent way that (non-animated) corpses are shown with x's for eyes, Roy's pretty clearly dead at the end of #443.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Hedgehog King posted:

Like how mondays crash the site. Lets me know Im not alone in my obsessive love of this comic.

Now, regarding the Palidins still being martyrs: they killed eachother while under the control of a spell. In the DnD world that is literally the equivalent of the old "stop hitting yourself" bully technique. Their actions were not their own, and so they were still performing their duty to the best of their ability. There ability just happened to consist of "roll 1D6, if 1-3 attack random adjacent person, if 4 wander randomly, if 5, drool..."

Well, except for the last Paladin, who offed herself.

Query... What can Ghosts do against a Lich? I seem to recall their primary attack being an age 10-40 years thing.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

You can also see Belkar in the foreground, on his pile of Hobgoblin corpses, and Redcloak and the Shadow Creature in the middle of the Hobgoblin Reserve.

Edit: And the corpse of Roy.

The guy does perspective on the eye-dots.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

It may be a precaution to prevent her from attempting to pick the locks. It's one of the first things she does after they get to Azure City, and she's unblindfolded.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0260.html

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Archyduke posted:

I call Belkar showing up to deal with the goblin masses.

Belkar can'tt do anything about about the Hobgoblin Masses when he's inside the confines of the city, without invoking the curse, though.

If he can attack them from outside the city, though...

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Parahexavoctal posted:

Fool, fool, fool, fool, fool the gullible hobgoblins!

And many of the Azure City Soldiers who may be still alive, be in the vicinity, and have been watching Lord Hinjo.

It may have gotten Hinjo out of the tower alive, but it could have disastrous consequences for Azure City's forces.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Efreet saiid posted:

Um, all the guys who can see that are already dead.

Well, there are at least five azure city guardsmen on the wall Hinjo and the Order in #454. Two of them make it into the towe with them, and while it's possible that the other three are killed by the arrowstorm, I doubt that there are only ten people on the outer wall.

WHether or not Hinjo is alive is an important question to a large number of people, and so i imagine a lot of people are watching him, both in person, and through agents.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Occam posted:

I interrupt this fascinating argument to say

but she doesn't know about the gate, right? In fact, her not knowing stuff led to a lot of problems a while ago.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0460.html , third panel from the end.

She knows about the gate.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Vicissitude posted:

It's a teleport spell. Instantaneous duration. It drops you in orbit and leaves you there to die.

If you have enough knowledge of orbital mechanics, and your world conforms sufficiently to ours that Geostationary orbit is a valid destination, and have enough mass allowance to pull a 130-ton creature, you might as well just drop him close enough to the sun that his solar orbit intersects the surface, and he falls in. THis is relatively easy, just pick a spot quite close to the Sun's surface. (A Telekinetic shove from from an orbit around the planet won't work. Unless you can change the object's velocity by a couple dozen km/sec, you're not going to drop it in the sun this way.)

All you have to worry is if there's a terribly-powerful bastard living in the Sun who might take exception to what you've done and visit some retribution on you. But Sun Gods are generally Good, aren't they?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I've wanted to do this for awhile, too.

:siren:New Strip is Up!:siren:

That's some mighty fast updating. Well, he doesn't seem to be carrying Roy's corpse. Wonder how much is still left.

By the way, how long does Lich-Paralysis last?

maltesh fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 21, 2007

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Ashcans posted:

The thing that really grated on me was the 'Parent' and 'Other Parent'. I feel like Burlew has done a really good job of making V's gender-ambiguity seem well-integrated into the narrative. It's obviously a recurring thing, but its fitted in really well. 'Other Parent' is just so awkward, it makes the whole 'I'm not going to tell you' really obvious.

Not that I can suggest a more natural way to do it.

I suppose "Elder Parent" and "Younger Parent" might seem a more natural distinction, though I'm hard-pressed to think of why a language wouldn't distinguish between the titles of the two parents, given the presumed biological differences in their duties at least until the child is weaned.

Do we know if the children are biological, or adopted? Can we even say "V's mate is of the opposite sex"?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Tag Plastic posted:

That was my initial reaction, too. I wouldn't be surprised if V and mate are eventually revealed as same sex, hence adoption, though which sex will of course be left up in the air.

That would definitely make the "Parent/Other Parent" translation more fitting. Particularly so if V's mate is the biological parent of the children, and V's their step-parent. (Though I probably would actually have translated "step-parent" in that case)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Spaz mk. 2.0 posted:

In a lot of fantasy fiction Elven society is portrayed as having no patriarchy whatsoever, in fact I'm pretty sure that's what the elf flavor text in the Player's Handbook says. At any level of society you're just as likely to find a female filling a particular role as a male. Considering how little regard Elves have for gender, it shouldn't be a surprise that the elven language has no seperate words for parent based on the gender of that parent. Hell, there probably aren't any pronouns like he/she/him/her/etc.

Also, V's pretty hosed.
Lack of gender in third-person pronouns is fine. Plenty of Earth languages are like that. However, the problem comes when you want to refer to a specific individual. How do you determine who's "Other Parent?"

The one who's closest? Elven kid wakes up in the middle of the light, yells "PARENT!" One of the parents climbs out of bed, and goes to the room. "No, I meant 'Other Parent.'" Many such mixups will ensue. Maybe not within the family, but certainly when talking with people outside the family.

The one who didn't give birth to the children? Unacceptable if you wish to maintain the mystery of gender.

If the parents are considered to be of equal status in the relationship, then you might as well just use their names, with a parental modifier, should one be required.

It just seems to me, from the single bit of dialogue that we have where the terms "Parent" and "Other Parent" are used, that the use of the latter points to a relationship that is more removed. in a manner other than physically, than that of "Parent," for the sake of conversational consistency.

I'm probably overthinking this far too much, though.

And yeah, I agree. V's hosed. And it seems likely to lead to more Split-Party Adventures.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

bartolimu posted:

The true dick move would be to use that soul-takeover time to kill V's family as soon as s/he is done saving them. Assuming, of course, s/he doesn't do the whole imprison souls in gems and never give up control thing.

They could do that. It might be preferable to merely show V that his assumption was incorrect, while keeping the family alive.

"Excellent work slaying that dragon. Definitely a job to be proud of. Now, about the whole 'Having to wait until you're dead' issue. That was an assumption you made, not anything in the agreement. Now go, visit your family. Catch up. Do whatever it is elves do. That's your business. However, if you'd like to make arrangements to see your family with a guarantee that we won't...interfere...during the visit, we're amenable to further negotiation."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

ShadowCatboy posted:

I want to see the Kobold oracle's reaction to this. He gets his powers from Tiamat, so she should be losing her poo poo and as the world's major precog he may be taking the brunt of her rage.

Given how the Kobold Oracle was trying to hint Roy into changing his question over Xykon, I can see him trying at least as hard, if not harder, to do the same for the dragon.

"...Are you sure you want to ask that question? You'll get your vengeance, but it will go badly for you. Extremely, unbelievably badly for you..."

"If I get my vengeance, nothing else matters. Answer my question."

What I suspect will happen is that an Epic-level use of Necromancy over an Elven Village will draw a boatload of attention (even without the worldwide pink lightning), and a number of reasonably-powerful First Responders will show up in short order, probably including V's master. V will probably kill them in front of his family, have a Moment of Doubt as he sees their horrified faces, and flee.

I'm probably wrong, but I'd like to see a resolution to this that leaves Vaarsuvius' family alive, both as people he can never see again thanks to his deal, and because in this strip it is written across the sky that family members are acceptable targets in the pursuit of the continuing vendetta.

Edit: Also, this seems like it would be an infamous spell. I wonder if there are Elves (or others) still alive who have witnessed this spell cast by its original caster, and might show up in short order?

maltesh fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 21, 2009

maltesh
May 20, 2004

:siren:New Strip is up:siren:

One down, two to go. Are those kids standing on broken legs?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Arctic Baldwin posted:

I get the feeling at a tarrasque is too obvious.

Young Reptillian Gargantua?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Will Xykon start calling him "Left-Eye" now? And does O-Chul actually know that he's got Xykon's phylactery in his hands, or is he just claiming a trophy before he goes after Xykon?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

It was only for like fifteen minutes, he shouldn't care about it much at all (until he actually has to do the work and realizes how terrible it is or until he becomes aware of his alignment changes.)

Not to mention that V assumes that the twenty minutes that they have his soul will occur after he dies, which the fiends neither confirmed, nor denied.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0634.html

I can't think of a reason why the fiends would tell V about the assumption he made unless it is indeed the correct one, and they want him to believe that they can sieze his living soul at any time and force his body to perform terrible acts unless he does what they tell him.

(Well, I suppose gloating works as a reason, but much better to use those minutes against a V who doesn't think they're coming until after he's dead, than one who might try some limiting contingencies, or might run off to someplace where where he thinks he can be harmless)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Well, there's good news and bad news on that front.

Good news: :siren:New Strip is up.:siren:

maltesh fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 8, 2009

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Happydogska posted:

I've half-seriously believed for a while that he's been taking Rogue levels ever since the first two or so levels of Ranger without even knowing it. Explains a lot of things.

Plus, you know, all the PCs are DMPCs.

Hasn't he been grabbing levels of Barbarian for some time?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

ActionZero posted:

I'm still not entirely convinced that he hasn't had his eye healed secretly and he's keeping the patch on for DRAMATIC REVEAL. It would have to wait for him to be in some position where he no longer needs Xykon and can actually deal with him somehow but I could really see it happening.

I'd say he hasn't had it fixed because it would ruin the "Sees his brother's face every time he looks in the mirror" point that hasn't been brought up in the comic yet.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not only climax, a cliffhanger between book three and four. I would call it the shittiest resolution in the history of literature but then as you were saying there's the last book.

... there's got to be a thread for this.

What series are you talking about?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Roy's the only partymember who heard the Oracle's prediction of Belkar's death, and he hasn't yet told Belkar.

Edit: A dick move would be setting things up so Roy hesitates just a bit too long before attempting a risky rescue of Belkar because Roy knows he's doomed to die.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 8, 2012

maltesh
May 20, 2004

SexyBrianPuppet posted:

l. What could be more infuriating to Tarquin than his legacy being remembered as "The time Julio Scoundrél fought that Terguin guy in the Western Continent?"

Not being remembered at all.

From the viewpoint of pretty much the entire Army, Tarquin and his adventuring buddies teleported off into the desert chasing a stolen T-Rex.

If the Order had managed to take them down, and then left, The result would be that nobody would know how, or if, Tarquin died, and his empire would reorganize, or fall apart, or both. Given the huge losses the army took on this crazy scheme, probably the latter.

If Tarquin is scheduled to take down Scoundrel here,I'd guess the resolution would be that he's forced to make his way back to civilization on his own, only to find that his empire has crumbled while he was gone, and to die in obscurity in a mugging or something.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

It's the full-page table that lists length, speed factor, space required, and to-hit adjustment for every Armor Class from 2 to 10 for every weapon in the game, that Sebmojo mentions above.

edited to be less snarky-sounding.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 25, 2013

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I was pointedat sluggy Freelance back around '97 or so, when someone on a newsgroup sold me on the original vampire storyline. Fell off it sometime during the 00's. Nothing that I read during my initial webcomic phase is still on my list of comics I follow, even though some of them are still going (I'm kind of astonished that GPF is still running, hadn't thought about that one in years)

The only comics I still read from the time around when I found OOTS (which I think possibly during the initial Dungeon of Dorkuan adventure) would be Gunnerkrigg Court and The Perry Bible Fellowship.

I used to have daily bookmark folders I would kick open in the morning. Started using RSS and Google Reader in '09 because of a certain comic with a ridiculous update rate, then Feedly, then Comic Rocket, and now Tiny Tiny RSS.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

Any other Sam and Fuzzy fans in here? It's a fairly popular comic but I don't see it come up in any of the webcomic discussions I've run across.

I don't really understand why people are still manually checking websites when RSS readers exist. I don't even know how many comics I follow these days because I just go to one site and it tells me when any of them update.

That said, the official Order of the Stick RSS feed does have some issues, as it doesn't include a Date or an ID field, which can cause issues with some RSS readers, both in ordering posts and identifying posts that have been read. It's one of the reasons I've been using a reddit-generated version of the feed at https://www.reddit.com/r/OOTSFeed/.rss

maltesh
May 20, 2004

dmboogie posted:

the implication that his alternate-universe self got an organizer telling him all about how everything was turning out fine for the other Vimes while he and his crew die is also very good

Oh, crap. I never thought about that before, but you're right. As the city is burning and his Watch is dying, Alternate Vimes would be getting useless snippets of information about the actual reason why the war is happening and how he could have resolved it. Makes me want to hunt down my copy and imagine the last messages Alternate Vimes would be getting.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 23, 2020

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's not Durkon's place to say or decide anything about any earthly kingdoms.
He is there on a higher order.

Gobbotopia shouldn't get any special protections. No other kingdom or provenience has protection agaisnt attack or invasion.
They can be equal, the same as everyone else.

Being run by a Non-monster race is a protection against attack or invasion.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

One thing I hope happens is that Xykon meets Tarquin at some point. It'd end in Tarquin's swift death, but still.

I think Tarquin is probably permanently out of the main story. Leaving him as an unfinished sidequest while all the major plot stuff happened around him is probably the worst outcome fro his point of view, and I kind of think that going back to him before a side story/epilogue, if ever, takes a bit of the sting out of his last appearance.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

That might be the largest contrast between "length of active thread participation" and "number of posts" I've ever seen. Two pages in seven years.

I have less than one page of posts, and my first post is the third one in the thread.

I /think/ I probably started reading while they were in the dungeon of Dorukan, but it's difficult to remember. Of the still-running web comics that I still read OotS is the oldest.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

habeasdorkus posted:

It's a real good story and I strongly advise anyone who hasn't read it to buy in.

Poor Right Eye.

Ever since O-Chul escaped, I've been expecting a panel where Redcloak has to look at himself in the mirror.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Well, shoot. I can't believe I missed/forgot that one.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Durkon and Minrah probably think that Xykon already knows what Redcloak's planning to do with the Snarl. Oona probably thinks so too, if she heard the full conversation.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

jeebus bob posted:

Can Durkon and Minrah hear or in any way perceive what's being said and done above them while they're in the ground?

Yes, Hearing's allowed by 3.5e's Meld into Stone Spell.

"Nothing that goes on outside the stone can be seen, but the character can still hear what happens around the character."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I wonder if it still is... After all, that's where the heroes believe the Phylactery is, and where Xykon would think to look for it if he twigged to the deception. Redcloak did come up with the "One of these three skeletons is Xykon" gambit, after all.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Shugojin posted:

I think at this point Redcloak's only out of that situation is to break the phylactery. If he doesn't then Xykon is going to go straight to Gobbotopia and start blasting out of sheer rage.

Breaking the Phylactery doesn't kill Xykon, though. If Xykon's soul isn't currently in the phylactery, all breaking it does is destroy your bargaining chip.