Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Well there you are then, both V and his/her mate could be of the same sex and the chillins' adopted. It'd be a funny swerve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Well there's also more chance for things to go ring if he goes the self-sacrificing route. For example;

a) The Imp dies en route to the fleet.
b) The Imp's message is somehow lost or damaged in crossing the ocean or under attack from the fleet.
c) The Imp tries to twist the message because you sent me to my death you big hot tranny mess
d) V's master can't be reached because of Wizardry.
e) V's master doesn't listen to the message because he's a dick/elf.
f) V's master can't get to the dragon in time.
g) V's master isn't strong enough to kill the dragon.

That's playing devil's advocate though. It's pretty clear he made the "wrong" choice.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

tripwood posted:

Durkon couldn't have rezzed V with only his head available, right? You'd need true resurrection / reincarnation for that.

Since the fiends are only interested in tipping the balance towards evil and destroy the celestials, I wonder what the hell they want to use V for. Controlling the snarl at the last possible moment or something else?

Bear in mind that you are taking three different varieties of devil at their word, here.

Not even big strong leather-clad flaming-whip wielding devils. Devils with hoods and glowing eyes and no faces.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

terminal mehmet posted:

Baby goblins argument.

This always fell apart for me when I considered that the universe contained a narrative law that meant evil creatures will grow up to be evil creatures due to their alignment. Otherwise what's the point of the alignment?

But also, V is going to get one helluva comeuppance for this. I can't see Burlowe giving up the chance to have angry dragons come a-calling, despite how senseless this might be with a little forethought, but the assured damnation (and perhaps rescue arc!) resulting from V's actions will be incredible to watch.

I mean Suvie.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

Hmmh. If this Tiamat character actually is the direct ancestor of all black dragons, wouldn't this spell actually strike at her directly as well?

God, not ancestor.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Phy posted:

I see this get brought up from time to time, and it's important to note that the reverse does not hold. Just because you kill someone immediately does not mean you are a good man. See Carcer and Teatime, or more relevantly, V and "Disintegrate, Gust of Wind."

The test should really only apply in cases where there is reasonable confusion over who the bad guy is. If it's someone who we've never seen do anything strictly evil but nonetheless have a really, really bad vibe about, then it's helpful. Lord Rust, in any incarnation for example.

For someone like Carcer or Teatime however it's redundant because their plans and methods are so blantantly monstrous that you can literally see the demons waving back form their eyes.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

They were there, they were just largely displaced as The Big Thing on Mechanus by those stupid ant people.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Wanderer posted:

Sure. He lives in a world of multiple sentient races; being a "man" doesn't have to mean "human." It just means you possess certain qualities.

Man, O'Chul rules. He just managed to pull off a fairly adept manipulation while being lawful good the entire time. If Xykon hauls off and obliterates O'Chul, the Thing in the Box is going to go batshit.

Not manipulate, guide :smug:

I'm consistently impressed at how adept Rich is at writing Lawful Good characters. Bioware good learn a metric poo poo-ton from this strip.

Come on box-monster help O-Chul :(

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

O-Chul is the loving man.

I mean, he's going to die, and he's like "Is that meant to mean something to me? 'Scuse me while I skewer this goblin high-priest with the bar of the cage I just broke out from."

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

No, he didn't give up and let Xykon capture him because part of one tower in Azure City fell off.

This fireman told me to surrender!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Affi posted:

Isn't that a bit silly? Why wouldn't Xykon have placed a bunch of protective spells on his most prized possession? I mean yeah Xykon is a badass character but it isn't like that wasn't already a well established fact. Just like it is well established that he isn't as dumb as some think he is.

Ignore everything happyelf says.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Jesus, you just can't stop O-Chul.

What is Rich planning to do with him though? It's already been established that he can't break the phylactery, and unless he starts going hand-to-hand with Xykon and it goes amazingly well, this has to be the set-up for his death. Xykon's already promoted him to the top tier of prisoners, after this he just can't be worth the hassle of keeping around.

Wait, why is he keeping O-Chul alive at this point? Doesn't he already know where the gate is?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Maldraedior posted:

Girard's Gate is on the Western Continent, across the ocean, in the middle of a desert full of illusions. You're getting confused by the prophecy maybe

EDIT: quick link to the Oracle since I have the archives open http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html

I'm bloody confused. How do either of these imply he's been near Girard's gate before?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

It has allowed V to rescue O-Chul and probably make some sort of daring escape (and fight Tsukiko?) It also seems likely to in some way move the plot away from Azure City (thank God.) Speaking of which, am I the only one who thought that the last 150 or so strips were really starting to be dragged out with no plot advancement until just a month or so ago?

The Roy-Golem and Thief Guild malarky really didn't do anything for me up until Sexy Shoeless God of War, and the armada/island was hit and miss, but since Belkar got his mojo back and V got some game it's been hitting a lot more .... baseball ... analogies.

I'm Irish okay?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

O-Chul has goals?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

For anyone thinking Redcloak was getting too comfortable being Supreme Leader of Azure City and sharing Big Bad limelight with Xykon after the siege, this strip is hella reassertment of just who the master is.

Also, where do we think (MitD?) has teleported V and O-Chul? Back to Azure City to get the show on the road or somewhere else for more personal reflection? I'd love to see O-Chul just lambast V over his choices for the past few strips.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Is freestyle nunchaku where you don't train in it at all and then assume your just good with it?

Cos in that case I'm freestyling this degree in medicine like nobody's business.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

It's up

Looks like V has indeed crossed over to the Nastier Side of the Playground.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

True but Crystal really wasn't anybody interesting. Nale, Sabine and Thog are much more fun to follow.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I want the next comic to be out with Roy getting annoyed with someone in the party for the first time in ages and I want it now.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

As nice as these "me-time" chapters are, and I'm sure they'll end up being the calm before an almighty storm much like the New Year's party in Azure City, I'm looking forward to getting the team into wacky adventures again asap.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Not that this discussion isn't interesting, and it is, but I don't know anything about what's going on. So here is some strange fan art from some site some place!

Click here for the full 455x708 image.

Look at that grin. That's a man's grin that is.

Click here for the full 450x670 image.

Look at that jaw. That's a man's jaw that is.

Click here for the full 455x711 image.

Click here for the full 455x711 image.

Look at - er, oh dear.

Click here for the full 800x631 image.

No, you are not alone. They kinda freak me out too.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Now we hate OotS!!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I'd guess he might be experiencing a bit of burnout or, how you say, ennui about this time, and after this amount of time I'd kind of expect it.

OotS has a remarkably good hit/miss rate and he must be a bit stressed to keep it up.

Cut him a bit of slack.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Elman posted:

Yeah... Apart from Lickmyorangeballshalfling, it's been worse since Roy's death (Although I did like Roy's arc). Now that the group's back together I think it might improve a little.

God I'll really never understand some of you people. This has been fun so far.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Mylan posted:

Yeah, his excuse against that idea was maybe a sea serpent ate it or something. Big deal? So he spends some unpleasant time regenerating in a sea serpent's belly, grabs his phylactary, and blasts the drat thing. Really it's not gonna be any more boring than if a sea serpent didn't eat it.

I'm pretty sure he'd want to avoid that whole process if he could.

Whaddayaknow! He can!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I liked it.

I want more of this kinda thing.

I think he forgets how effective the comic is anyway without a glut of words in it.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

DrakePegasus posted:

Someone is going to quote this after every loving chapter, aren't they?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

Just imagine a black and white line drawing of a woman with messy hair and some sort of fantasy bikini, surrounded by dots.

I actually looked at a D&D player's guide after a few years of doing Warhammer stuff, and instantly saw where the stereotype came from.

Literally every drawing of a woman, be it busty adventurer or busty demoness or busty tree, was utterly ridiculous. What was even weirder was that all the books talked about the player character being a "she" by default, which struck me as just a little bit creepy.

Ashenai posted:

edit: I hate it when a fanbase refuses to tolerate criticism. I like this comic, I really do, but literally nothing has happened for the last 4 strips now, and it's getting old. And yeah, I know that there have been longer "nothing happens" lulls in the plot already. Those got old, too. :geno:

This thread is just getting over a huge bank of stupid criticism that lasted the entire length the Party was in the desert, so everyone's a little tense.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I kinda saw two heads sticking out of the one body and thought it was finally a callback to these guys http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0021.html

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Hahaha, dragons.

Also that happily answers the What Was That Green Junk question.

Also YAY DRAGONS!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I like to think I know a little bit about classes and whatnot from my days in Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment but you folks have lost me with your talks of soul blades and psionics and what have yous.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I'm pretty sure the insistence of a player being true neutral is a sign of insanity.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

A druid's theme song is anything by The Smiths.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Cabbit posted:

Antipaladin and a fallen Paladin aren't the same thing. An Antipaladin is like a Bizarro Paladin.

Edit: Paladin of Slaughter and Paladin of Tyranny are Anti-Paladins, for example.

These ideas are Olympic level brain-gymnastics.

Just call them knights.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

inthesto posted:

Put me in the camp that wants to see Xykon and Tarquin have a showdown.

Obviously, Xykon would win, but not before getting his bony rear end humbled five or six times.

"I have no bones about kicking your rear end!"

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I think panel 4 is my favourite.

"Why should everyone have to listen to it all over again?!"

*Elan recounting the past week's comics to Hayley*

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Ian's got it wrong. Smart people are absolutely cut out to be gladiators. Their potential in the arena is directly proportional to how much they understand about the warlord's convoluted sche-AAAAAAAAAAARRRGGHHHHH!!!

Counterpoint.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

navyjack posted:

Evidence for V being male, maybe? Cause he has sure hosed up his role as male parent.

I was going to say something about how we'll eventually meet Durkan's dad and he'll be a thousand years old and totally rad but now all I can think about is who your alt account is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Sane. Emotionally stable. As smart as everyone thinks I am.

Any number of things you'd say in an emotionally frustrating moment. I wouldn't worry too much about it.