Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Wanderer posted:

Both Miko and most of the Order are at a level where the dice are sort of a cute tradition instead of an actual determinant. It's a weakness in AD&D 3.5.

What level would that be?

NutShellBill posted:

3) Nale/Sabine convince Miko that Sabine is an LG outsider, imprisoned by the evil, corrupted Sapphire Guard. They make a deal something along the lines of "Sabine will resotre your powers if you help us escape, and oh yeah, together we can rid the world of the evil that is the OOTS." Miko will jump to the conclusion that the Gods do care for her, and eagerly accept.

That would fullfil the "consort with a demon" prereq, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Factor_VIII posted:

He still needs to be able to roll higher than his enemy's armor class in order to even check for a critical hit. Therefore if he's fighting against an enemy with a high AC he'll only ever hit on a 20 despite his increased threat range. His low BAB therefore still puts him at a disadvantage, though that is admittedly mitigated to an extent by his Charisma bonus to hit.

If it's within threat range, it's an automatic hit.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Fuego Fish posted:

The least he could do is stick with his current schedule but say "updates Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday". That way it'd be wholly accurate.

I mean, he updates 3 times a week, just about a day later than when he says he will.

Well, no, the least he could do is stop making the comic :v:

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

frankenfreak posted:

I don't have the impression that Nale would get along well with Miko at any rate. Both have too big an ego and their moral alignments wouldn't mesh well either. From an authorial standpoint, the fallen paladin certainly deserves more than being one of Nale's sidekicks.

No thinking man can be ruled, but Miko could be manipulated. Having a 1v1 evil v good story line would be boring. Nale and Miko being in opposition, but struggling to cooperate could make for a good story, particularly if Nale is written cleverly.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Lafarga posted:

I'm not one of the "evil DM" school, since I don't like killing my players or pissing them off, but I am of the "realistic challenge" school, which means that I would much rather throw a bunch of low-level enemies with a circumstantial advantage after a powerful party than one huge godlike damage sponge.

Yeah but the sponge is easier to make and play

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

CoolCab posted:

Xykon never seems to actually do anything in a fight when he has the option to send wave after wave of his own men into the fray, that's central to the villiany credo. Plus it could be risky to let him unload the heavy artillery considering what happens if some friendly fire hits the gate.

Maybe evocation is one of his prohibited schools?

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Battlestar Ferrinus posted:

Sorcerers don't choose prohibited schools. Also, he's fried his own minions with lightning on more than one occasion.

Ah, I figured he was a wizard (and it's been a while since I read the archives).

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

SuperKlaus posted:

Just a coincidence you're seeing. Remember when they met the bandits in the forest Elan says "where'd the sun go?" as arrows rain down on him. I played a card game once with a card called "Blackened Sky" representing tons of arrows being fired. It's all just a way of emphasizing that there's lots of incoming fire.

But the exact phrasing of the complaint indicates similarity as well as a response to an unsaid statement.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
Is the "It's Pat" thing a reference to Vaarsuvius' unknown gender?

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

gothfae posted:

Except the concept of flying skeletal dragons with leather flaps has been addressed in a dragon article about uses for dragon parts. Rght before the section on boats made out of dragon parts.

That's just suggested material for a campaign setting, not necessarily canonical rules.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
I hope Roy grapples Xykon and screams "Homer Simpson" over and over again.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Leikr Elferston posted:

I've heard of them somewhere, I think they were in the MC. Anyway redcloak doens't really need all this plan poo poo if he's powerful enough to whip up a death knight then he may as well just conjure up an apache from some d20 modern sourcebook and strafe the walls with rockets. The delivery was good, but the power level is getting a bit ridiculous.

Well, a death knight can be as little as CR 4 so it's not that big of a deal.

e: The eye of fear and flame is much high of a CR, but I'm guessing that he's depowered based on what we've seen of him. It's okay to bend the D&D rules if it means a better game (or comic).

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Leikr Elferston posted:

I'm not fixating on the rules, but the power these guys has makes a lot of the plot seem arbitary. For instance, who cares if they die? They can come back.
If the city is destroyed, who will revive them? What garuntee do they have that the god(s) will see fit to bring them back?

Leikr Elferston posted:

Why can the lich blast his way through a dungeon full of angels and yet has to sneak a flanking manuver to take out a castle full of normal humans?
In this story, angels aren't that tough, wereas there are many, many more humans who all have training and (presumably) PC levels.

Leikr Elferston posted:

What is that super-mega tough shadowy monster even for if they already vastly out-gun their enemies?
They don't vastly out-gun their enemies, and they didn't have anywhere near the amount of peons when the shadowy-guy was introduced.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Adimeadozen posted:

Funny, something about the writing in the comic today had me hearing Xykon having Bender from Futurama's voice.

This, for me. I just imagine him as the most self-absorbed person possible, and I come away with Bender.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
e: nevermind

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

clockworkjoe posted:

That's interesting. I've never heard of an artist or writer being so influenced by his fan base in such a negative way.

I think I once gave Sean Howard of "A Modest Destiny" an aneurysm on his message board. Of course, everyone who disagreed with him on his message board gave him an aneurysm.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
I don't want to sass in any way, but is it possible that we can all just ignore happyelf when he says something assinine and not spend time on it so that it's easy just to skip over? Again, I'm not trying to sass, but it's kind of hard to overlook stupid stuff that's off topic when it's being highlighted.

Leikr Elferston posted:

They started the game in 3.0 and moved to 3.5. Belkar has been evil all along. He did however suffer shrinkage during the transition :(

:mad: stupid small weapon size damage

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Fuego Fish posted:

:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP! :siren:

Man this strip is pretty :3:

Mostly the 7th and 8th panels, specifically. I don't know how perspective so well with 2-D figures.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

The Werle posted:

Man, I thought that the Talisman would break when he fell at least.

Since when do fighters fear falling damage? The gravity rules for D&D are totally inconsequential in comparison to a high level fighters hit points.

20d6 after being hit by a meteor at level 8 or so? Pretty harsh. Not that he won't get resurrected by Durkon.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Fuego Fish posted:

Archlich Roy :toot:

That way he can become a spellcaster like dad wants!

Don't lich's get stuck at whatever caster level they are when they become a lich?

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Soonmot posted:

I thought Roy was LG?

Yes, he is. Happyelf is being chaotic crazy.

PS: I would play the board game with you happyelf :)

Jon fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 6, 2007

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

greatn posted:

Xykon really should have been dead by now. It doesn't make much sense that spellcaster would survive in a room full of paladins he doesn't even know how to hurt for any length of time.

Depends on what level he is and what defensive spells he knows. And how do we know he doesn't know how to hurt them? I thought the last time we saw him he was just being attacked, I don't recall that he was confused about how to hurt them.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

greatn posted:

With a +7 or 8 BAB, that should be plenty to easily hit the guy. Those weapons are gonna do the same amount of damage whether they're 8th or 18th level(not accounting for combat feats that improve damage).

:raise: Really? A 20th level sorcerer lich should have an AC of significantly above 18 or so, after spells and items.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

NorgLyle posted:

Please warn people that you're linking to Erfworld. :argh:

I don't see it posted so here's a link to the new OoTS comic.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

greatn posted:

I've been thinking of making a spiked chain fighter just because honestly I think it could be fun and fit in on Darksun(where I'm playing currently) as a guy who started doing it as a gimmicky arena fighter, and had considerably more trouble in the actual world. I remember the OotS comic about such a build. Know of any good sites with write ups on this type of thing? Like, how to build X-character? Because I suck at builds.

Well basically just take Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain) and combat reflexes and make sure to have a super high dex score. And, if you have the feats to spare, take combat expertise, improved trip and improved disarm in that order. Anyone who walks through your threatened square will be tripped and attacked, or disarmed completely. If you can be a large size, it gets even more fun.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Kramer posted:

"Ah, I thought I smelled cheese nearby."

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0216.html

Hah, yes. Now imagine if the half-ogre could disarm, trip and attack without even taking a turn.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Bobulus posted:

At the risk of further sidetracking the conversation, the DMs I've played with are really frustrating me. I keep making non-munchkin characters (An engineer in a Firefly campaign, a combat-inexperienced grad student in a zombie game, an unoptimized wizard in a D&D campaign...) and all that ever happens is that I end up standing there while the other players hack-and-slash their way through everything, because the DM never does anything but combat and the occasional indimidation. Makes me want to just give up and join them.

You need to find a new group. They are hack-and-slash and you want roleplay.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Sergeant Rock posted:

Weird - so Bags Of Holding nullify mass, as well as bending space...? A BoH full of gold weighs nothing much?

And if you put a portable hole in a bag of holding...

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

How are you going to AFFORD a spiked chain in Dark Sun? Iron is almost impossible to find, and it's more expensive than diamonds. Are you going to make a chain out of pieces of bone and plants? It'd break the first time you hit someone with it.

Wow, clerics and paladins must really get the shaft in that setting.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

greatn posted:

(sorry for the D&D dicussion in here guys, but honestly you go to traditional games and it is like no one loving cares, all they do is play threads, with zero loving discussion, and this is kind of related to OOtS, but if you want me to stop I will)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2303802

I loving care :(

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Wanderer posted:

Finger of death is a ray, isn't it? No dice.

Why?

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

bgaesop posted:

No, it isn't. It does get a saving throw and spell resistance, though.

But still, the spell resistance is at 32, which you can easily bypass at level 20 with proper items, and the will save is only at +20, which you can bring down and buff your own save DCs.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

IMJack posted:

It has to be an epic anvil (effective enhancement bonus of at least +6) or the Tarrasque won't even feel it.

It's an anvil full of candy, giving you an effective +30 modifier on diplomacy checks.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Eckertmania posted:

I don't know. I see a rhino mount as being more for a dwarf, but that might just be me.

I had a rhino mount as a dwarf paladin. It was pretty neat.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
I've actually used the Robot Devil voice in my head for a while now without realizing where it came from. Good call.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
Burlew has some really great D&D articles on roleplay for both players and GMs. If you're into D&D you should check them out.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
It's possible she's an undeadified Haley.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

terminal mehmet posted:

No it's not. How could it be? She was on the ships in the original evac.

I thought she and Belkar were left on the main land? Either way, the color thing appears to point elsewhere, unless Burlew colors differently depending on type of undead.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Phylodox posted:

No, Therkla was on the ship. Haley was back on the mainland with Belkar. Hence, they can't be the same person.

Right, but could Xykon teleport her there, if he wanted? The physical location doesn't seem like a big deal. Of course, there's no reason to think it's Haley at all, I'm just making a stupid speculation.

edit: what's Nale's current status?

Jon fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 9, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Check it out:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html

Therkla's on the ship at the same time that Haley's still alive and in Azure City. It's definitely not the same person.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks.