Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Yes, but she's still got some levels on them. She won a 5-on-1 fight of PC class against PC class, which is pretty tough to do even if the heavy hitter's at a disadvantage - she got lucky, but she also had to be up on their levels for it to be possible.

Well in the run down it says she gets 5 attacks a round so even if she took some feat that lets her treat the katana like a monk weapon and used flurry of blows she would still be around 12-13 by then. The OotS were all around 12 then too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

404GoonNotFound posted:

I do believe you meant:

:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP :siren:

Chaotic Good Heaven: Sure beats True Neutral Limbo.

Naw, CG heaven is Ysgard, Shojo is probably serving Thor his beer at the moment.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

tsob posted:

Hmmm...must have been thinking of something else so in that case. Either way, the werle it was meant as a joke, not as a serious suggestion which I was demanding the author take or I'd hunt him down and egg him or something.

Also, Elan playing a lute makes a lot more sense. I was gonna go with that, but what with him revering Banjo, I went with that instead.

You're probably thinking of how buddy had the sheath attached to the body and neck of the guitar in the first part of the movie.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

TheHeadSage posted:

Awww. But my favorite was getting a jewel-edged, keen, vorpal rapier with improved crit, which would knock it down to 10-20.

There was another way to knock it down to 6-20, but if you hit, the weapon would shatter.

And people still wonder how OGL nearly destroyed the pnp rpg industry.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Lafarga posted:

Next you're going to ask us why the Baba Yaga rides around on a giant mortar & pestle. I don't think you are properly into the spirit of Crazy Russian Magic People.

Not to mention vampires that must obsessively swallow any animal put in front of them.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Wanderer posted:

You know, one guy with Combat Reflexes, Great Cleave, and Hold the Line really just tears the poo poo out of situations like this.

I think I'd prefer Whirlwind Attack, Great Cleave, and a Dire Chain.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

I don't know if it's changed since 2nd edition but Astral Pools used to be randomly created circles of luminescent water that could used to scry on anyplace in the multiverse.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

clockworkjoe posted:

why aren't there stats for titanium elementals, would it be so hard to add some OGL titanium elementals but no, no new elementals for me

Pretty sure there were some in 2nd edition, a whole entry of beings made up of different metals that live in the elemental plane of earth.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Backdoor Blanche posted:

Did that game ever accomplish anything other than ruining Knights of the Dinner Table and turning the comic from an entertaining spoof of DnD and other RPGs to a big advertisement/errata for the game?

It gave sanctuary to the bitter old fat guy with a thick beard and did nothing but bitch about 3rd edition at the back of the comic/hobby store. I think each store by gamer law is required to have one.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Backdoor Blanche posted:

There was some hyperbole, yes, but the entire point of the comic was taking the rpg genre's preexisting quirks and laughing about them, occasionally exaggerating them, but just making your own (really lovely) system up just serves no point except to remove Hackmaster from the realm of "fictional generic RPG we can just make poo poo up about" and into the realm of "real life" and therefore "not funny."

They didn't make up their up system though. They bought the rights to 2nd edition added a couple house rules and slapped a Hackmaster sticker on it. That was part of the joke. Hackmaster really is what they were playing.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

SuperKlaus posted:

It's dead. "Always Evil" alignment, like a demon or something. Only a brain-dead paladin stops to tell outsiders and undead to surrender. I like the idea that anything with sentience could conceivably be redeemed but this is D&D and quite a lot of creatures are Evil, Period. That bearded guy deserved what he got.

I would, it's a Deathknight which means at one time he was a paladin himself. He would deserve a chance at redemption.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Gyges posted:

Well, it's either the best day ever or the worst. Since the mark was tied to Roy, his death will likely either negate it(BEST DAY EVER), or activate it(WORST DAY EVER).

Though if Belkar is growing gradually weaker, to the point where he's unable to kill anything, does that make it so he starts getting experience from all these hobgoblins?

What if it didn't effect the spell at all and they have to lug Roy's corpse around to avoid the ill-effects. Though we know Durkon's high enough to cast raise dead it'll just be a factor of having to do some quest to appease Thor to be able to cast the spell. Nordic gods aren't too big on restoring the dead.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

rantmo posted:

Maybe he'll become Undying, a Good Aligned Undead most prominently featured in Eberron. He'd be hard-core then. But let's be honest, Roy's not getting a Template, he's either going to be replaced or brought back to life.

Well to become Undying you need to A. be an Elf and B. be mummified and interred in a sacred ceremony.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

She's not actually a rogue! She's a bard with no ranks in perform.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Well the main source for info on the Blood War is Blood War a second edition box set. Probably the best box set in my opinion, very little "crunch", the only rules stuff in it was 3 mini adventures that involved the war and a small monstrous compendium. The rest was a book entirely about the history and tactics of the war a bunch of maps of repeated battle sites and a comic drawn by Tony Ditterlizzi the man who did every illustration for the setting for the first 6 years. There's also 2 fiendish codices one for each fiend type that reintroduced a lot of Monte Cook's ideas and whatnot back into 3rd edition.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Idran posted:

Yeah, but all the planes also belong to gods. Even with just core, Hextor's in Baator and Erythnul's in the Abyss.

Also, interesting, didn't realize that. Wonder why they didn't do that to merge together yugoloths with gehreleths and hordelings, those are all NE fiends too if I'm remembering right.

Gehreleths are a type of yugoloth I believe and Hordelings are way too varied and random to be a part of any other species.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Assuming he rolled well, wouldn't Roy great cleave through everyone since it is an additional attack, thereby not allowing the archers to try and hit him? I haven't played in a while so I may be incorrect

No, you can't move before a cleave attack, although there are some class features that let you make your 5 foot step and then attack them, so the most you can kill in a turn without a reach weapon is 14. If the archers stand even 10 feet away you're hosed.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Screw that, a single Harm spell reduced anything to 1d4 hp with no saving throw. Now that was fun.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

Not in second edition.

Yeah I'm confused by this too, what speciatly house rules was Lurdiak using were Dragon had any sort of damage reduction in 2nd edition?

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

I just hate PrC in general, worse than 2nd edition's kits. The only time a marketing decision has had any good effect on DnD was Ebberon.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Wanderer posted:

I'll say it again for the grins: why do people keep talking about second-edition monks? Monk was not a class in second edition.

No, but the only real difference between first and second edition characters was proficiencies and even those were introduced in first edition in a sourcebook.

My biggest problem with PrCs is that they tie very heavily into the glut that almost killed the industry a few years ago. WOTC's corporate edict of one sourcebook a month that must contain 70% crunch and at least 3 prestige classes wasn't very healthy. It's nice they added some variety to classes but there has to be something like 500 from official sources alone, and they made it so casters pretty much have to take one to stay effective in most groups. It's like a pc arms race.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Hmm, was kinda hoping they were undead and a Rebuke Undead would put them under Redcloak's command. At least there's still chance Tsukikko will burst in after they're done and start yelling to Xykon how Redcloak tried to kill her. Xykon and Redcloak can share a laugh and then blast her with their magic. True buddy movie style.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Because they're a Japanese equivalent. The katanas are the holy weapon of their order and using any other weapon would disgrace their ancestors.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

NorgLyle posted:

Yes.

EDIT: The monk's AC bonus does apply to touch attacks but you lose it if you're wearing any kind of armor. Unless she has levels in some made up prestige class or something.

Doesn't have to be made up, there's an official monk/paladin prestige class that stacks armour with the monk wisdom bonus.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Does this mean O'Chul will have to thank umbrella monster for "the lovely tea party"?

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Sergeant Rock posted:

So what alignment do you guys think Miko was when she died? :downs:

I don't know but it would make a good discussion on the duality of man.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Even after her fall she still worshiped the 12 gods. When you die you go your gods plane regardless of alignment. With Miko she'll still go to Mt. Celestia with all the paladins and other fallen soldiers, but while the Paladins will be making up all the officers and elite troops Miko will be with all the rank and file. Agnostics and atheists go to whichever plane most matches their alignment, which for Roy would still be Mt. Celestia, but not necessarily the same layer as the 12 Gods' dominion. Since he died defending the 12 Gods' goals though they could probably make a claim on his soul.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

I'm glad O'Chul survived the explosion.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

We always pronounced the "TH" as fitz the "AC" as bun and the "O" as wallah

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

No, but I'd think more of WotC.

How about if I point out that Expeditious Retreat only applies a movement speed increase if moving is all you do in the turn, that in the chart they credit weapon focus as +2 instead of just +1 and the +2 from invisibility doesn't apply if if the creature can see you? Not to mention that over the course of of the 2 minutes the cleric will likely become shaken from the fear aura for another -2 to attack.

Gassire fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 24, 2007

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Talkie Toaster posted:

There's a feat, circle casting or something like that, which lets casters band together to raise save DCs and damage dice on spells cast by them as a group. One 20th level wizard with leadership and that feat might be able to get the DC high enough (assuming his entire private army have it too)- although it may be that you have to be able to cast the spell to contribute to the DC, which would cut the number of contributors significantly. It would certainly be epic though.

I don't know it sounds like that method would result in some elaborate cut scene where you summon a meteor into the sun causing it to go super nova engulfing the entire system into a supernova consuming all the planets. And then you roll 5d10 for damage.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

No, good alignment has a big sacrifice yourself to save others thing to it, but that only really applies if the sacrifice would mean anything. Even if V stayed and the soldiers were of a mind to run it would just eave to V dead with the soldiers. It's not even Lawful Good it's more just the paladin's code.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Vicissitude posted:

Just like Rangers and Druids can get better animal companions (for which you just count as having a lower level for determining their bonuses) and arcane casters can get special familiars, you could have alternative special mounts. I'd love to see a half-orc riding a rhinocerous. How hardcore is that?

Not as hardcore as orcs riding fiendish triceratops. http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=11142

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

greatn posted:

At this point I'm like "Get on with it!" This story is taking too long.

Bite your tongue. As soon as he's done with Azure City no new strips for at least a month.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Legolas had two long knifes he would use in close quarters.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Really? I hear Scrooge McDuck.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Choke Babies Now posted:

Is it bad that I sort of want Elan to die now, so we can see the process of entry to Chaotic Good heaven? "Woo, c'mon in and party man, s'all cool!" "Don't you want to---" "Hey man, par-tay! No rules woo!"

CG heaven is Ysgard so it'll be nice and party-like until the cock crows then he'll find out he has to go fight to the death.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Ashcans posted:

Didn't Soon say that Miko's mount would try to visit her or something? It would be weird if a mount was allowed to visit its ex-paladin master, but you couldn't visit your wife.

Well obviously this OotS afterlife is a little different than standard DnD afterlife, but in DnD the River Styx travels through all of the planes, although it's called Lethe in the upper ones. One touch of it's waters will erase all your memories and create you as a bank slate. From there you become a petitioner and start a new life serve your god as your ego slowly fades away over the centuries, to the point where your sense of self disappears and you become one with the plane. Obviously if your characters expects a res he can hold off drinking the water.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

RentACop posted:

Jesus, even the good DnD afterlife sounds horrible.

If I remember right pcs have it a little different, they can retain some of their memory on a more permanent basis. Mainly because their god needs heroes to act as officers in their army. Evil is much worse, when you die no matter your alignment you end up in the NE wastes as a foot long maggot that Night Hags herd and corral to sell to the Demons and Devils to make more Demons and Devils. Neutral people are a little trickier, noone goes to Mechanus or Limbo when they die. It's determined by whether your sell fell closer to good or evil on the axis. To get an idea of the outer planes imagine a compass, the 16 cardinal points would each point to a plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Idran posted:

Wow, they've changed the cosmology a lot since 2e Planescape. Where is this info about the new purpose of the River Styx and the lack of Limbo/Mechanus petitioners from? I didn't remember seeing that in the Manual of the Planes.

All that is from 2e Planescape, Mechanus and Limbo have no petitioners because there are no gods native to those planes. And the River Styx\Lethe stuff has always been in the fluff.