Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Bamf posted:

I'm sort of hoping Miko realizes what she's done and tries to achieve penance.

Taking a character from someone you hate to someone you feel empathy for would be way more interesting than her just going all sith lord or whatever.

They've got a fairly decent team mechanic going in the group so if they did go that way I'd hope it would be strictly sidecomic stuff. It's not a horrible idea, but I don't think it's likely.

I'd say that bit about her meeting with the Linear Guild in prison is very possible (I had forgotten meeting an evil Outsider is a prerequisite for Blackguard, good catch!), but I can also see the invasion happening like next comic. Becoming disgraced meas she can't fight with her allies so she is abandoned, she meets the Linear Guild on the battlefield and is forced to team up (Nale and co have no protection from or alliance with the hobgoblins). Since the city is falling it's impossible to get a cleric in for the raise and the OoTS have to escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
The DnD morality system is fickle, but is also an odd flavor of objective. I'm not sure if doing good things with bad intentions is a good act, but the reverse absolutely is an evil act.

Miko is, again, unflinchingly ridgid. She's always focused on the Lawful while using the Good as an excuse to gain the moral high ground and force her perspective on others. Now that she's been shown that the forces of Good doesn't agree with her vision of the world she just might resort to anything to accomplish them.

And even if her vision of a perfect world is sunshine and candy if she becomes deluded enough to think her pure end justify her evil means she's textbook Lawful Evil, and any outsider worth his salt would take a good crack at manipulating her to his own gain. Even if she thinks she's fighting for acheivable good and peace there is always impurity, always something more she will be unwilling to compromise on (particularly with some demonic lacky whispering into her ear).

Evil is an outside force in DnD. It's an all singing and dancing demonic hoard, with infinite spying eyes and infinite whispering voices, and someone with a mindset like Mikos is a wonderful tool.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Vorxnyx posted:

To be fair, that is from a book called "The Book of Exalted Deeds" so there is some bias, I think. For example, the Complete Scoundrel would probably say something completely different. I mean, the very existence of the Gray Guard (a Paladin that CAN do evil deeds for a good cause) proves otherwise.

The lie bit is not literally lying, it's can represent any act of evil in the name of good, which is evil. Hell, I think even pallys are allowed to occasionally be dishonest, depending on your code and the severity of the trickery (the gods don't withdraw their services if you tell your wife she looks great in that dress). A great deal of their ''totally rigid'' code is up to the DM's fancy and depends on who you're playing with. They don't all drink tepid water at the bar then return home to tighten their hair shirt for the excess.

A better example would be if you discovered a (certianly) lethal highly infectious disease in one person of a village, and you don't have the capibility to cure it. From a logical perspective killing that person, ideally in a humane way, would be the good thing to do because it saves the village. Regardless of said logic it's still an evil act and if you performed it you'd still have to answer for the sin, and although you might be granted absolution that doesn't make it moral.

Think Batman's ''there's always another way'' bit, regardless of circumstance an evil act is an evil act.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Roy is perfectly justified in being pissed off and, hey, he's not the one breaking an oath or anything, and while he can be any damned alignment he wants you could pretty much justify his actions for any alignment except maybe Neutral Evil.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

tsob posted:

Like I said, I'm not getting dragged into that debate, no matter how much I want, and I think the last few replies are proof enough that's a good decision. I said I wanted to avoid it, and this was followed by several posts condemning her absolutely and justifying Roy's actions on every level.

I do wish to say though that I think Miko is the least realistic of the villians in the comic. Nale, and to a lesser degree Xykon are much more realistic because they know what they're doing is bad, freely admit it, and have a reason they keep doing it. I don't think most real murderers etc. are under the impression they're right. A few are, but not most.

More evil is done in the name of good than it is otherwise.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

tsob posted:

Well, aren't you a happy pappy.

Well to be fair you've just spent the last few posts explaining how little you want to talk about it anyway, so maybe you two are perfect for each other :awesome:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dammit Who? posted:

No, it is specifically his own death. That's what posthumously means in this context.

Posthumously just means after death. There is a resurection clause there.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dammit Who? posted:

Yes? :confused: Durkon will die before returning to the dwarven lands. I thought that was what I said.

Just pointing out it's not a death sentence, except in how it is.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Semiru posted:

The quoted comic, along with the current strip, have convinced me that Belkar is about to bite it. Miko, for all intents and purposes, has just killed a NPC. If she slaughters an entertaining and in this case, helpless PC? Well, that will really turn everyone against her.

Hopefully what Belkar is saying is true, but I'm still worried :smith:
Unless he passed his birthday on the walk back he should be fine :)

All of the predictions will come true to the letter but rarely to the intent in some biting way. Durkon will return to the dwarven lands as a zombie. Elan will end up magically lobotomised and happily drooling as Nale kills his friends. Etc.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Oh man, home run.

It's been said, but Hinjo was fighting to take her down while she was fighting to take him out. That's a pretty severe disadvantage when both fighters are using lethal weapons to begin with, but with Miko's level advantage and monk skills playing in I think Hinjo did about as well as could be expected.

Roy was playing to win before, (he wouldn't stop someone from restraining and healing her to stop her from bleeding out, but I don't think he would have shed too many tears if he got a lucky crit) but stepped in nonlethaly once he had to, seeing as how Hinjo couldn't have called for help in single combat. To be fair Miko did it first.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Did anybody else just completely assume that the crown amulet was Xykon's phylactery? 'Cause I sure did. It just seems perfectly correct that the PCs would end up accidentally carrying it around, but won't realize it until after they lose it somehow.

I mean, it's so evil that it made anybody who wore it register as evil to a paladin, even when they're LG. Clearly it's bad mojo, and unless I miss my guess nobody's ever cast detect magic on it. (Could be wrong, too lazy to double-check.) I dunno, it just seems totally in keeping with the comic, and the repeating gag that the PCs routinely don't do things that are really just good ideas/common sense in the D&D setting (a DM lament that is, unfortunately, not unusual.)

Hell, I've had PCs carry poo poo around for AGES without detecting it, despite the fact that it's clearly somehow special. Most common response, when they actually find out that it's some incredibly helpful magical item, is "Well, I forgot/just assumed it was cursed/a trick."

I thought the lich always regenerated near his phylachery?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Nothing about a location requirement in the 3.5 MM. It's one of those common PC conceptions that is totally untrue (and consequently really too much fun to abuse the hell out of.)

So he just regenerates at an arbitrary location (with an excess of human bones)? :psyduck:

edit: Man, I don't know where I got my information on this stuff (it's been seven or eight years since I read the core books) but I thought the Lich's remains weren't importiant, he can ''regenerate'' from unrelated tissue?

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 17, 2007

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Battlestar Ferrinus posted:

He's just got a generic >:D scheming face on, I don't see how you can say he looks "too devious".

I mean, Xykon posed a situation that Redcloak realized would immediately lead to a hugeamount of enemy fire being directed at the lich, and this suddenly gave Redcloak an idea. A decoy is obvious.

I can't really see Redcloak betraying Xykon, because all in all they seem pretty friendly and honestly they're way more entertaining working together than apart. If Redcloak hated Xykon enough to destroy him he'd have simply smashed the lich's phylactery long ago.

Easier, why bother with a decoy? What does it matter if Xykon gets blown up, the gate ritual takes a week anyway, he'll have plenty of time to regenerate. Redcloak gets to take the city and justifibly make his boss explode(alongside the tactical advantage this provides). Awesome.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Battlestar Ferrinus posted:

That would also work, provided whatever rituals Xykon and Redcloak need to do don't need both of their participation from the start.

You know what I wish? I wish that Xykon was a wizard, not a sorcerer. This is because "wizard" is a funnier word than "sorcerer" is, and also because being a wizard means that Xykon isn't technically limited to only having a selection of around 30 or 40 spells ever and so can more plausibly cast random obscure stuff for the sake of a joke.

How much Xykon is needed for a casting? Can't be that much, just get the skull first and you're covered up to somatic components.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

SuperKlaus posted:

But he can't let Xykon get fragged at the start of the battle! One of his Meteor Swarms takes out like 70 of the enemy low-level punks. Redcloak would be a fool to throw away the firepower edge his boss provides even for a big distraction.

Xykon never seems to actually do anything in a fight when he has the option to send wave after wave of his own men into the fray, that's central to the villiany credo. Plus it could be risky to let him unload the heavy artillery considering what happens if some friendly fire hits the gate.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Yeah, that commander really knows how to pump out the morale bonuses.

Also I can't be the only one who thought Haley was going downtown in that last panel, I did a double take before I read it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

The Werle posted:

Yeah, but shouldn't she be dead instead?

Do Outsiders even use their neck/spine?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Belkar would have fairly compelling grounds for a law suit against the local government if they survive.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

HitTheTargets posted:

On Erfworld: It seems to me he was aiming for subtext that would be present but not intrusive on the story. But he went too heavy and now it's creepy & crappy. To be fair, subtlety is a tricky thing and he only screwed up a bit, but a little goes a long way.

That said, it also totally sucks for a different reason, that being that we have no clue what's going on or why it matters.

It wouldn't be totally out there for them to be loving, would it?

I don't like the comic myself, but a webcomic with lesbians and implied fetishism saints preserve us.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Fuego Fish posted:

I don't really have a switch, but I do have a vast loathing for elves, which extends to dwarves and anything that basically just photocopies Tolkein and calls it "originality". Which is why I don't play D&D.

Hating elves is a great reason to play D&D! One of my favorite characters was a Human supremest who was trying to gain support for his crusade to ''take back the forests''. The plan was to drive them into the seas like nature intended.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gally posted:

Sorry, but 'being more like a graphic novel' is no excuse for slow pacing and pages with no pay off. Look at Girl Genius. That really IS a graphic novel being put up one page at a time and oh look it works. Print or web, it doesnt' matter, every page should have some reason for exsisting. If you cannot write like that, put up multiple pages. But don't hang on 'ITS NOT JUST A WEB COMIC GAG A DAY' as an excuse.

Plus there have been, what, thirty five odd pages thus far and what has been done? We've been introduced to a handful of characters (two of which were remotely interesting) and the guy got pulled into the world. I mean, slow pacing is fine, but there's exposition and there's two pages of elf name jokes.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Kahrytes posted:

Wow, there's some horrible or extremely creepy stuff going on in Erfworld.

"If you've held anything back, you're almost in the clear for now."

"I haven't held anything back, mistress."

"I know. If you had, I woulda croaked you. You've been very good, Jillian."

"Tonight you'll be rewarded properly."

And then they just start shooting the poo poo, talking about how one another has been doing. They've done this torture stuff before, most likely... :gonk:

I don't mean to harp on or appear like I'm defending Erfworld, but again, lesbians and implied fetishism in a webcomic, saints preserve us.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah, the site's been smashed again with the new comic going up. Anyone have a mirror?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

maltesh posted:

Well, except for the last Paladin, who offed herself.

Query... What can Ghosts do against a Lich? I seem to recall their primary attack being an age 10-40 years thing.

I thought that was Ghasts.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Soonmot posted:

Not that anyone really cares, but has Erfworld still not had it's Saturday update?

The artist is on honeymoon and the writer got so much flak for the Klog pages he's stopped making them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I can't be the only one who went a little :unsmith: at the baddie's last moments? That was a neat little moment there.