Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Miko killed a defenseless old man in cold blood, in clear violation of a "Hay, don't kill people, murder is bad" law.

Even if Shojo had been manipulating the law for his own ends, murder is still murder.
Whether she believed the trial would be rigged or not, it was still (as far as I know) a law that Shojo would indeed have to go to trial, and that's a law she would have to respect until she could plead a good enough case to have this law changed.
She instead, openly defied the entire legal system because Shojo was pulling a few of the strings, and trying to come up with loopholes to justify the fact that she's a cold blooded murderer who wants to do things her way, LG or not.

I think Roy explained her fairly well at first, after the incident at the inn
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0251.html

Although I'd say she's gone considerably downhill from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Calaveron posted:

She certainly disrespected Shojo, what with bisecting him in half. Not to mention that she attacked a defenseless old man that registered as Good.
I seriously hope she loses her Paladinhood, then tries taking on the Order of the Stick with no Paladin abilities, gets her rear end kicked, thrown into jail with Nale/turned into a Blackguard by Xykon.

What I see happening is, she lost her Paladin powers on the spot after killing Shojo, but she's so loving amped on self-righteous fury that she doesn't realize it.
She tries to take on Xykon, who just wtfomgpwns her and at the last possible second, she either realizes how wrong she was, and dies with this knowledge as a final gently caress you to the character, or she turns to the dark side in exchange for power, since that's all she really wanted.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Parahexavoctal posted:

I don't think being struck by lightning is something she can avoid noticing

No, but I also posted this idea prior to the new comic. Or at least prior to me seeing it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

404GoonNotFound posted:

If I had any image skills, I would gladly make one of the mighty Banjo.

...or maybe Leprechaun Thog.

You mean like this?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Wow. Next payday that's mine. Thanks.

But drat, what to put as the title?

what's a "fenix"?
how thog's pants turn purple?
thog believe he can fly
thog get in touch with inner greenness. and outer grenness too.
thog arrived.
yay! now ice cream!
group hug!

If there's space, you should go with

"You know, the first two, I probably should have seen coming. The leprechaun costume, not so much."

Probably not enough room to fit that in there now. If you can't fit that, take the inner/outer greenness one

I'm working on a Banjo one, but I need to find a comic with Banjo in it at a good size.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Behold! Banjo the Clown! God of Puppets!

In 5 festive colors, and a poorly made flash one

Edit: See, I told you I'd edit it into something better.

More edit: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0080.html
That's the comic I got the image from, in case anyone feels like outdoing me.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 30, 2007

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Werle posted:

Personally I'd crop out the bubble and just have a larger picture of Thog. As is its a little too small to make the avatar grab your eye, and the quote in the bubble does nothing to enhance it.

A bit more like this then?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Werle posted:

I like this one better.

"Let Thog get door for you!"

I really want to redo my Elan and Banjo ones. I just need the background to look less lovely, you can see where apparently I missed pixels when I was coloring in the back.

It'd be nice if I could keep the original starry background like in the comic, but with the text bubble that's actually there, and the fact that I'm not really good at photo editing, I figured a solid color was the way to go.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wex Major posted:

It's completely different. The dark side of the force reprograms people to become evil if they aren't already. Jedi don't fall on their own, there is an outside evil force seeking to corrupt them. It's not a natural psychological response to power, it's a side-effect/hazard of opening your mind to the influence of the force. I don't know of any equivalent to the 'dark side' in D&D, and I'm pretty sure there isn't one. Evil gods come from one place and good gods come from another, it's nothing like the force where the light and dark sides stem from the same place.

To put it simply, a jedi with a powerful connection to the force is more vulnerable to the dark side than a jedi with a weak connection to the force, whereas a paladin with a powerful connection to the divine is more resistant to corruption than a paladin with a weak connection to the divine (note: zeal does not imply a powerful connection). I don't know where the whole Paladin = Jedi and Blackguard = Sith thing came from, but it's not really applicable.

Evil gods want servants who want the same thing they want. They aren't going to make someone who is a good person deep down into a loving blackguard. I'm not saying it's not possible that Miko won't become one, but I think it'd be pretty stupid if she does.

I don't think Miko is good deep down though.
She's a self righteous bitch who only mentions Lawful Good when she feels like using it as a shield to defend her actions. There are plenty of times she has done bad things in the comic, that although not evil, were infact bad.

For example, killing the Bandit Leader and his daughter.
Ok, fine, the sorceress was going to attack. But it was very clear that she was more powerful than they were, I'm sure she could have taken the -4 penalty to deal nonlethal damage and still easily defeat the daughter, instead, in one round, she eviscerates them both.

She really isn't a good person.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SuperKlaus posted:

Well, the other thing to me about D&D morality is that it's the morality of a feudal world. Those two were probably outside the jurisdiction of any law and attacked her so she did what a samurai would do and wasted the scum. It's not like paladins traditionally bother to take orcs prisoner and rehabilitate them (barring a paladin I know with +50 Diplomacy and the Exalted Deeds redemption rules), you know? And as Belkar pointed out in his own way early in the strip, orcs are sentient beings too. So it's just the medieval way of doing things to execute transgressors.

Now don't take that to mean I think what she did to Shojo was justified, of course. He made no motion to be a direct threat to her, was well within the law's ability to punish, was her boss, so on. Nor do I think Miko's a person really deserving of paladinhood. I just felt like stating my opinion on the example you brought up.

I agree with alot.
But, if I remember correctly, the Bandit Dad made no attempt to fight Miko, even trying to talk his daughter out of attacking her. He showed no signs of transgression until Miko killed his daughter, that's when he was wanting to fight.
She could have knocked out the daughter with nonlethal damage, and let them be on their way after asking Bandit Dad for whatever else she needed in information.

Im just saying, if I notice that only one of two people is trying to fight me, and the second person doesn't seem like he wants to fight, I'd try to knock out, rather than kill the other person.

Now if they were both coming after me, by all means, defend yourself with lethal force.

That's how I would have handled it anyways if I were calling myself a paladin, but, I also know why it wouldn't work in the comic. I just wanted to point out, that it was fairly clear that Miko wasn't good.
Lawful maybe, but not good.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Werle posted:

(I have waited long for this moment)

:frogsiren: NEW STRIP IS UP :frogsiren:

I think Roy's sword is a little indicative of exactly how far from her rocker Miko has strayed.

Nah, the glowy is just a random effect

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0297.html

The glow is just a sometimes thing, and it would only really affect undead anyways.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I just thought of something.
Now that Miko has been unpaladinned, what happens to her horse?
Does it die? Or just return to the celestial dude ranch from whence it came?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SuperKlaus posted:

I think it can be assumed that the bandit dad was moving to strike her (he drew his weapons after all) and she simply won initiative, and we can't see it for certain because comics are static.

Giant in the Playground is explained on the site. If I remember correctly it's just an image Rich thought up and liked.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0189.html

Bandit Dad was actually willing to cooperate with Miko, then Bandit Daughter threatens Miko, Bandit Dad tried to talk some sense into Daughter, but she tries to take Miko on anyways.
In one attack, Miko bisects her, Bandit Dad is all :aaa: and THEN draws his weapons to avenge his little girl.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well, I'm off to buy that Banjo avatar Guardian made (sorry, no Banjuhlu :shobon: ). Any suggestions for a title, or just a nice short ALL HAIL BANJO!?

Behold! Banjo the Clown--God of Puppets!!!!

the_steve fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 2, 2007

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

tsob posted:

Edit: I'm shocked Hinjo did so badly against her though, I didn't think she was that powerful, but I'm completely unfamiliar to D&D, so I suppose that's to be expected.

Well, it's been said several times that she was the most powerful paladin in the guard, even with the damage Roy did to her, she probably had a sizable advantage, plus levels in Monk that Hinjo wouldn't have.

Plus, Im sure Hinjo was trying to hold back anyways, he really didn't want to stoop to her level and start killing everyone out of convenience, he did nothing but give her chances to turn herself in, whereas she's taking full attack actions every round.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Miko's got a couple of levels on the Order itself, too, or she never would have been able to take them all down when she first met them.

Keep in mind that Durkon wasn't actually fighting, he simply healed people so they wouldn't die, and Roy was at a disadvantage as he was using a non-magical club that I strongly doubt he took Specialization or Focus feats in.
Miko also had her horse at the time acting as a second combatant.

Miko beating the Order was more a fluke than a clear display of her power.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vomax posted:

I agree that Nale would easily be able to manipulate her into joining him against the OotS, but as long as she feels she is still on the side of Good, the Linear Guild would have to be walking on eggshells to keep her placated. Though I guess Miko would be able to pretty easily rationalize almost anything as long as Nale kept her convinced it was part of revenge on the OotS.

I don't think Nale would let her anywhere near the Guild.
She's a total control freak, it'd be no time at all before she starts trying to play "still holier than thou" and barking orders at everyone. She's too busy digging her own holes to really be manipulated in any worthwhile way.

Hell, if anything, I see her turning on the Guild once she uses Sabine to get her first level of Blackguard.

Miko: Grrr, I need to kill them all for tricking Shojo into allying with them to betray the country by tricking them into working with him after they tricked him. But until the Gods come around to my way of thinking, I no longer have the power I need.

Nale: Maybe we can help with that.

one Blackguard ritual later

Miko: Neat, powers. And now I can Smite them for being Good, even though they're secretly evil, but still registering as Good because everyone is wrong except for me.

Nale: *attempt at manipulation*

Miko: I shall convince the gods that I am the one who is right by killing everyone *attack guild*

Edit: Run on sentence at the end, tried to make it a bit more sensible

the_steve fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 3, 2007

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Factor_VIII posted:

I doubt that she'll view the Sapphire Guard as being evil, since they are paladins. Though she may well think that they're being manipulated by the OOTS and thus acting against the cause of good, which would cause her to act in the same way.

She tried to kill Hinjo, deciding that since he doesn't agree with her anymore, he's corrupt and evil too now.

She'll have no problem deciding that the other members of the guard are now evil since they apparently don't see through Roy and Hinjo's deception.

As for reviving Shojo, I figure that either: Any cleric high leveled enough to bring back Shojo will be killed in the attack. Or, Xykon succeeds in taking over Sapphire City, so they won't be in a position to bring him back.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Pieces of Peace posted:

I think you mean Chaotic Neutral Limbo, where everyone can just sit back and turquoise bicycle shoe fins actualize radishes greenly.
I'm seriously glad this arc isn't going the way I thought it would; that is, a lot less hapless mayhem dumped on Azure City (so far). Is it just me, or didn't Roy's question for the Oracle seriously foreshadow that the Order would be way off somewhere when Xykon crushed the paladins?

The way I rationalized it was like this:

You're DM, you have your game, you use the Oracle as your little avatar to strongly hint that your players need back in Azure City, but, because they worded that question so specifically, they can't.

Had they continued their normal course, they'd have gone back to Azure, stocked up and been gone well before Miko or Xykon showed up.
Since you don't want to "force" them to go back to Azure, and you really don't have a contingency plan should Azure fall without the PC's, you nudge things.
A dead wizard here, Linear Guild there, bam, the PC's have been held up long enough to stay in Azure City for the fun.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Leikr Elferston posted:

Elan could actually help out in a siege quite a bit.
I don't think anyone should mind a bit of D&D talk on this thread.

Especially not since we're discussing a D&D based comic.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Why I think the Snarl's Sapphire is where it is:

Hojo said the castle was built around the sapphire, and that the gate was above the skies of Azure City.
They never moved the gate because they can't. They built the tower, and at the top where the gate is, they put the throne.
Sure, they could have made the place a floor higher or something, but it wouldn't have done much good. If the tower falls, the gate sapphire would go right with it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

HitTheTargets posted:

I am! :flashfap:

No wait, I'm thinking that a strip or two will be spent seeing Miko pissed off about being in jail with Belkar egging her on. One or both might escape, they could fight, or Miko could try some cockamamie last ditch Atonement.

I don't see Atonement.
The way she is now, Miko is still utterly convinced that everyone is wrong and at fault except her. For an Atonement to work, she'd actually have to be sorry and repentant, but she's still content to blame everyone else.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Detetsu posted:

I bet Miko thinks the gods are evil and only the Snarl is truly good and tries to release him because he'd make everything just again.

That's close to my theory.
I figure she'll learn about the Snarl, and decide that, since nobody wants to admit that she's right and not at fault in any way, she'll use the Snarl to recreate earth in such a way that she is right since it's based on her own sense of morality.
And since new earth will be governed by her sense of morality, it will completely clear her of all her wrongdoing since it will now be justified.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

:siren:New strip is up:siren:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0414.html

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

404GoonNotFound posted:

The first rule every GM learns: when in doubt, ninjas!

I never learned that rule, maybe that's why my brief tenure as a dm was so lame :(

If nothing else, it leads me to think that either the paladins are going to be on their own and this strip is meant to fill us in on that detail, or that it's going to be a battle on two fronts since ninja's are actively going to be after Hojo before, during and after the fight.
Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if I see some of those lords walking around as zombies or something after they try to cut Xykon a deal.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SuperKlaus posted:

The Libris Mortis reprints that with a tad more information, making it clear that the lich regens near his phylactery. I always thought that just made sense, intuitively.

I just figured it worked sorta like a vampire's, where they had to get their spirit back into their coffin to start regenerating, and to do that, the coffin had to be kept within a certain range due to the time limit.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think Redcloak could surprise us.
Especially since I'm sure he has ulterior motive.
He's a cleric, or at least has levels in cleric since he carries a holy symbol (which doubles as Xykon's phylactery).
If he's a cleric, it means he serves his deity in some manner. So, who's to say that Redcloak isn't actually playing the more powerful Xykon at the behest of his dark god?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

IMJack posted:

Redcloak fought Miko to a draw. He has at least as many cleric levels as she has paladin levels, if not more.

I thought that near the end, Miko gained an upper hand, and just as she was about to go Smite Evil on him, Xykon put her in the force cage spell or whatever it's called because I'm too lazy to look it up.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gyges posted:

What kind of a jackass commander makes sure you know how futile your situation is right before the fight? Jesus, does he crash 5 year olds' birthday parties just to make sure they understand that we all die someday?

I think it was funny that he's bitching about low morale, because Haley gave encouragement that very likely BOOSTED a little bit of morale.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tag Plastic posted:

:siren:New strip:siren:

Knob gags.

One giant penis joke, brilliant.
Honestly, could have done without Belkar, he didn't really serve a purpose for this one.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think the neck staying snapped was a comedic effect thing, it'll be all better in the next strip

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Is it just me, or is Hinjo kind of a dick?

I know the situation is kind of hectic, but I can't shake the feeling that he likes having the Order by the balls as it were.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SuperKlaus posted:

:siren: New strip! :siren:

Good to see Elan's still an idiot at his core. I was really afraid he was going to get all competent on us. Betcha we get a three-page package o' action Monday!

I love that he went right back to the "Do do do the thing as I sing" song as soon as he messes up.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

clockworkjoe posted:

Refresh my memory.

There is an NPC shop that sells them for less than they cost to make.
V tries to explain how they're losing money because of this, but they keep swearing that they'll make money by selling so much of them.

Once s/he has made every honest attempt to correct them of the error (to no avail), V decides that his/her conscience has been appeased, and proceeds to stock up at discount prices.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Redcloak, we hardly knew ye.

maltesh posted:

But... I don't think Xykon appeared in today's strip. I think that's a Skeleton in a robe.

Oooh, didn't think of that. That would explain alot.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Shavnir posted:

Wait a second...I thought Hinjo said the snarl's prison couldn't be moved? But what is that thing in Soon's hands in the 11th panel?

Shojo is an old man, he probably just remembered differently. Let the man rest in peace. :colbert:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Battlestar Ferrinus posted:

There's a new strip, you guys! http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0423.html

I love Redcloak.

The Order of the Stick: The Redcloak Appreciation Station

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Psion posted:

OFF THE SLIPPY SLIDE. Katana elementals? That is so ridiculous I can't even laugh at you.

Katana elementals would be the most hardcore loving thing ever :colbert:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

clockworkjoe posted:

Have you forgot about the quasi-elemental plane of katana, situated between the demi-elemental plane of angst and demi-ielemental plane of trenchcoats?

I own a trenchcoat and several katanas :(
None of them are actually very nice, but I do want to start a collection.

Also, so help me, I am going to create a Katana Elemental. I will work on it during the week while I'm out of town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Fuego Fish posted:

Flip them off so hard.

"It's a shame they can't see me doing this, because I am doing it in the most magnificent manner possible."