Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ferrinus posted:

Actually the last panel is pretty much a macro in and of itself. Observe:

I spent far too long on this considering the end result :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

gothfae posted:

Also this is the Second Time, that Xykon has actually made that face.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0376.html

That would support the idea that its less a 'Oh poo poo' face and more a 'What the Hell' face.

Although I guess skull expressions can only differentiate so much

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I started reading Erfworld because people were mentioning it in this thread, but I just can't like it. Is it a matter of not being a big enough nerd in whatever game they're sort of spoofing? Is OoTS this terrible to people that don't play DnD?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It's a DnD comic and the game uses 'fire' so I have no problem just leaving it at that. Just write it up as authentic terminology to the genre and forget about whether it might be accurate historically or whatever.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Zereth posted:

I think that's just the only battle he _won_, and it was against one bat. Everything else was carefully orchestrated to take out all the seige units and any targets of opportunity without losing any "dwagons" ( :doh: )

God, I wish he'd just drop all the cutsey poo poo and the lol internet refernces, becuase the underying plot is somewhat interesting, but HEY TEDDY BEARS THAT'S FUNNY RIGHT :downsrim:

I still think that Erfworld would be irritating and too much effort to enjoy, in a sort of GPF way, but dropping all that would make it much better. The goofy references could be alright if they were few and far between, and reasonably done. OotS actually does this pretty well, when the characters break the fourth wall (kinda) to talk about game mechanics or acknowledge they're in a 'plot'. Erfworld just does it really badly, and uses horrible and outdated references anyway. As it is I only ever read a strip because someone mentions it in this thread, and then I want to punch him in the head.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Hentaikid posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Roy basically the motivating force for them to be after Xykon in the first place? If they don't resurrect Roy they're not particularly motivated in any direction, unless Hinjo takes over as motivator.

I would assume that having Xykon kill Roy might give them some motivation to stick it to him later on. I mean, the OotS can be pretty disfunctional, but they all liked Roy. If anything, they seem to have a better reason now.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Rincewind posted:

The joke would be on us if Haley dies, too. :v:

When they said 'I love you', that was my first thought as well. But honestly we're already down two members (Roy and V MIA) and I can't think that Burlew would actually off another one in the same encounter. Would he? :(

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

You actually make the players say "I turn off the ignition, turn off the headlights, roll up the windows, get out, lock the doors, and put the key in my pocket?"

Way to forget to set the parking brake man, the car rolled away while you were gone. :colbert:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I actually hate Erfworld a lot more because it isn't completely lovely. I mean when some poor retard with zero writing ability or artistic talent is vomiting up his own webcomic monstrosity, its sort of hard to even care about it. Ok it might be horrific, but he's a talentless hack so its not like you can be disappointed or surprised. Erfworld seems like it has enough talent and skill behind it that it could be a pretty good comic if it got its act together, but it keeps making GBS threads itself up.

Its like having a friend who is smart and talented but keeps failing classes and gets a job at Blockbuster because he can't get his poo poo together. You get irritated at him, not with the downs guy who is trying to master shoelaces. Thats all he can do.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I really do want to know what is going on with Haley and Roy and everything else, but I can tolerate some meandering in the narrative. I thought that was pretty good overall, and I do kind of want those two to make it through everything. Not really as a fixture of the comic, more like those white things Roy kept falling on for the first however-many strips.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Aren't bags of holding restricted by the size of the opening? I mean, you can fit a lot of stuff into them, but I always took that to mean a lot of small things, or maybe some long thin things. You can't just stuff a body in there because the opening to the bag is too small for, say, a torso to fit through.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I am really annoyed by everyone's tendency to have to play some sort of goof-rear end creature/template combination just because it makes them a badass in combat. Yeah, it's super-cool that your half-dragon half-fiend minotaur riding a dire elephant is unbeatable in combat, dude. How about play something that can actually communicate with the people he meets, instead of inciting every commoner in sight to run for torches and pitchforks?

I find that this is frequently because a lot of DMs will put a very heavy emphasis on the combat/dungeon side of the whole thing and not so much on the downtime/RP thing. In the last game I bothered to play, I built a sorceror with a lot of interaction and face skills, because we were told it was an urban setting and I figured that having people skills and alternatives for RP would be pretty cool. It turned out that 'urban' actually meant 'we will journey into the dungeon beneath the church instead of a cave system in the forst', and the most valuable member of the party was some bizarre half-minotaur bezerker deal. The DM never even really addressed why people weren't trying to set the thing on fire beyond that he was 'with us' and so somehow not terrifying.

v:(v

I have the Humanoids Handbook for ADnD 2nd ed, and it has a lot of crazy races you can play that are intended to have their skills and abilities balanced by how hard it is for them to function in the world. If the DM doesn't keep up that end, there's really no downside to being all sorts of whacky poo poo.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm down for ridiculous poo poo if it's fitting, but I don't want to ever here another story that begins with, "my werewolf minotaur barbarian was hanging out in this tavern..." How does that even work?

Having your players use weird over-species builds only ever really works when you build the setting like that. So they're a mismatched group of goblins/kobolds/minotaurs trying to hold back the evil human empire, or whatever. If people just sub them into regular roles its always retarded.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Affi posted:

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could spoiler tag Start of Darkness.

Seconded. Or at least start your post with something about Erfworld so no one will read it anyway.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I have to say that I was pretty surprised by Varsuvius. I mean, I realise that a caster without spells is pretty crappy for anything, but just slipping off and essentially abandoning the rest of the party still seems pretty cold. I can easily imagine that from Belkar, but somehow I thought that V had a little more loyalty or something.

:smith:

I suppose he might have been intending to survive so that he could avenge any fallen comrades.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, I guess its not the running away part as much as the staying hidden part. I mean, if V is a sorceror, then he probably has a decent Charisma score, and if he's a Wizard then he has to have a decent Intelligence. Either way, you would think that he would have been able to do something in terms of rallying the troops, helping to cooridnate their defense of the boat, or something. At least letting the others know that he was alive and so on, something.

Oh well. Speaking of bows, do Elves use crossbows much? Do they still get the racial bonuses for longbows and longswords? Maybe V doesn't have a crossbow because its not very Elfy. He probably just has darts or something to interrupt enemy spellcasters.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I often wonder if Burlew puts nearly as much thought into the level/spell authenticity stuff as the people reading the comic do. I can't really imagine that he has character sheets or anything for all these various people, which would be the only way that you could really keep on top of it all.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I could never remember all the various modifiers involved on saves and whatnot. I assumed that people were doing research of some sort in their answers. I guess that I'm not really as hip to the DnD groove as I thought.

SkellingTon Loc posted:

I wonder if a Neverwinter Nights module where the characters break the 4th wall and talk about the rules would be fun or just annoying.

This sort of thing is actually pretty fun if its done properly, and not just as a gimmick for the game to rely on. I don't know if you ever played (or would remember!) the Space Quest series of games by Sierra, but the characters of the story (especially Roger Wilco) are sort of aware of their situation, and he even argues with the narrative voice on several occasions. Because its incidental and not central to the nature of the game, its just a fun little sidebar.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Even if you excuse that huge block of text (which I think is as sloppy as the blog-things that Erfworld had) he should have at least picked a less obnoxious font to put it in.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

New strip is up!

Man I've been dying to get to do that.

Also, I only just got the joke in the second center panel. Man Redcloak is evil.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It's those kind of little touches that really make me appreciate Burlew's work. Also because I'm sure that everyone that has played DnD (or something similar) has had the moment where they realised they forgot a bonus, item, or miscalculated damage past the point where it can be fixed. I feel for you, priest-guy-whose-name-I-forgot.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

terminal mehmet posted:

It is.

Really its the only way it would be useful, because if you think about the mechanis of somatic components (or worse, material) you realise that you would hit the ground before you got through it. I mean, even yelling is sort of optimistic for a lot of falls.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

^^^ Well he's alone with Haley now, god knows if she'll be able to reign him in at all like Roy could.

Apocron posted:

I think it's stupid to not read a comic of this quality because Rich likes to flesh out his dialogue.

Yea, this isn't actually a 'giant wall of text', its a prolonged dialgoue between two characters. I mean sure I guess a lot is being said, but its being done very much in the spirit of the characters and in a way that makes sense and gels with the rest of the narrative -- its basically a debriefing from all the action that was in the previous section!

A real wall of text is like in that Goblins comic (I think) where he just broke up the ongoing action -- not to mention the entire panel structure -- to dump in the history of some weapon in a really poorly chosen font.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Calaveron posted:

So, is Burlew dead now or what? I mean, it's been now almost a week and no comic, no blurb on the front page, nothing on the forums (oh god how do I hate his forums).
What gives?

If this is true it becomes your fault.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The only redeeming factor about Mechanus is that it is apparently full of clockwork automato and gigantic loving gears.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Didn't Soon say that Miko's mount would try to visit her or something? It would be weird if a mount was allowed to visit its ex-paladin master, but you couldn't visit your wife.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea to be honest getting to bear on monsters and get pick up a chick, eat, and crash with your family sounds a little more like Ysgard of whatever the fake Valhalla is. I know that LG characters still tend to kill a lot (more than some alignments!) but I always thought that it was on the basis of some sort of justification. IE, that in the ideal you don't kill anyone. Its weird to have spawned dungeons in a heaven.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

His Mom is probably still having one-night stands in her house, if she's only been dead a couple years. How awkward is that going to be?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Quarex posted:

This is why this is the best webcomic.

I agree. Burlew writes a hilarious comic, but he does an excellent job of spinning it around and really punching you in the gut at particular moments. Which is honestly the sort of skill that takes something from 'good' to 'great'.

Do we know what incident Roy is referring to? I mean its not hard to construct some sort of idea, but specifically?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

IMJack posted:

To be an atheist in a D&D-styled world is to ask for a very Terry Pratchett sort of pain.

Being an Atheist in DnD would be really strange when you think about it, because its not like there is any real doubt about the existence and power of gods. I mean, you have some crazed priest to Umberlee raise up a flood or a cleric of Tyr blow apart undead with their holy symbol, and saying 'Oh no, I'm don't believe in that' just doesn't seem like an entirely reasonable position. I suppose you could attribute it to charlatan wizards or something like that, but how many times does somone have to call lightning before you're at least agnostic?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I'm half sorry that I said anything, and half pleased that I set off the latest bout of nerd debate in this thread.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Pretty sure that being a Paladin also requires a commitment of faith to a particular god, as well. Roy is Lawful Good and everything, but he has never struck me as being particularly devout or even dedicated to a particular God. I don't know if there are Paladins of non-specific goodness.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Anomalous posted:

From the Player's Handbook (ugh god im gay):

If this thread has taught me anything at all, its that I really don't know very much about DnD at all! Im not entirely sure if I should be happy or sad about that.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

^^^ drat you, thats what I get for taking the time to find my PHB. :argh:

Your basic Raise Dead is limited to 1 day past death per caster level, which means that he's way past that. Its Cleric 5 so Durkon could cast it. The other choices are Resurrection and True Resurrection, both of which could bring Roy back at this point (the former as long as they still have part of his body, the latter regardless). Problem is that they are 7 and 9 level spells, which probably puts them out of Durkon's reach (I think the PCs are ~10? He'd need to be 13 for Resurrection)

There are probably other options, yea, but those are the most straightforward, and it means that things don't look that great for Roy. On the other hand, I guess that Durkon could have gained a level or two in that amount of time....

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Choke Babies Now posted:

So back to OoTS: What's Roy jumping out of the boat to run to? Is he thinking he'll appeal at the gates or try to manifest and be all, "Hey guys please raise me already," or what?

Well, I imagine that there is some means by which those on the other planes can loo on to the material world. I recall that his Dad was doing that, though it may have been a result of where he was stuck. But if characters retain their essential abilities on the plane (and Roy has apparently retained his, given his sword skills) then its not a big leap to think you might find a high-level mage or cleric capable and willing to do a little scrying or divination for you -- after all, everyone around here is good, right?

Honestly though, I don't think that's his plan. I think it can be simply explained as 'Panic'.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Isn't there a feat that allows you to cast more spells a day? I forget.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

Grampa Horace seems like a nice guy, but since Eugene hates him as much as Roy hates Eugene there's probably something nasty in his past.

It's not impossible that Horace has some sort of unrevealed faults, but as things are its completely believable that Horace just didn't know how to relate to someone like Eugene. It sounds like he tried to be the best father he could, but all his interests and skills were at odds with Eugene's, making the whole thing awkward and unsuccessful. Eugene probably grew up resenting him for never appreciating his books and his learning and trying to pressure him into being a fighter.

I mean, you might be right, but I don't think you need dark secrets for a parental relationship to be strained. v:shobon:v

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

terminal mehmet posted:

Belkar has to stay within X distance of it.

Wasn't it one mile or something? Its possible they have just interred the body somewhere and Belkar is careful about how far he goes.

Comedy option: Belkar is now the proud wearer of a belt made of Roy's bones and skin.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The Werle posted:

Wouldn't create food and water be a conjuration spell? That's V's forbidden school.

:eng101: It's also a 3rd level Cleric spell; as Durkon is apparently 13th level, he can create enough food and water for 39 humans to survive for a day with each casting. He can probably cast it 4+ times daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

NutShellBill posted:

Is anyone else f5ing in anticipation for the 2 page spread that's likely to come tomorrow on strip 500?

I feel like a dork.

I guess that makes us both dorks, the wait is killing me.