Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
...which, I think, is one of the interesting points about Balkar's whole running vendetta with Miko. The point where he's trying to get her to fall by killing him? He misses the point entirely, unsurprisingly.

Sure, she's angry about what he's done, but that's to be expected. He's killed guards, he's mocked her at every turn, he's been performing evil acts left and right... yes, it has become personal for her, which isn't good, but Paladins aren't freaking Jedi. Just because you have a personal loathing for Evil doesn't make you evil.

Had Miko killed Belkar when she gave him the chance, she would have stayed a Paladin. Now, what she's just done? THAT's a fall point, right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
I believe the appropriate comedic line is "oh snap."

i'msorryi'msorrypleasepleasedon'tkillmei'llbegood

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
...is it just me, or did the Erfworld art change dramatically between this page and the last one?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
If only I wasn't an incredibly cheap jackass, my avatar would now be Redcloak and my title He beseiged me with science.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

Sure, you talk all big here, but let's see you tell that to the South American kid and his monkey. Go on, break his heart with your science. He'll cry.

Or he'll mind-control you into saying that Heart is superior, then turn the other four into his mindslaves and turn himself into the new god-king of this pathetic world.

We owe a great deal to the fact Ma-Ti was pure of heart and/or a moron.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
I always loved the Terry Pratchett take on Elves.

They are a beautiful people, and their songs are magnificent, but have you ever actually listened to those old stories?

Elves is not good people. Elves is arbitrary people who will kill you for the sake of entertainment. They might also give you some awesome poo poo, but the primary thing to remember when dealing with them is that they are not the aloof, ethereal creatures of Lord of the Rings. They are the down-and-dirty, violent, artistic, and not-above-a-little-creative-barbarism creatures of the Silmarillion who will not pause to even think about the repurcussions of their actions, and have both the balls and the power to get away with it.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

The IronMonkey posted:

Makes perfect sense so far. It's like a game of Warlords III.

Basically, he's going to be using the dwagons to kill Ansom's siege in a way that makes the dwagons pretty much immune to attack. The only way Ansom can counter it is his own fliers and (if they're within range of the forest where Parson's basing his dwagons out of) Woodsy Elves. Neither group is likely to stand up well to a full-on dwagon assault, and thanks to the way Parson's set this up it's going to be near impossible to kill any dwagons that retreat after killing siege.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Samedi posted:

Looks like somebody failed his spot check:

"A creature need save against the symbol only once as long as it remains within the area, though if it leaves the area and returns while the symbol is still active, it must save again."

Anyway, I don't mind when Burlew tweaks the rules or whatever. What I'm not liking is that Xykon is being written contrary to all his previous characterization. Suddenly the chaotic, lazy, supremely confident lich is being written as ruthless, efficient, and foresighted. I don't like it.

He's always been those things.

Look at it this way. Redcloak sees the world the way a normal person would. He's concerned with siege engines, armies, supply chain, tactics.

Xykon doesn't care. He knows that hey, push comes to shove, there's not a whole hell of a lot anyone can do if he decides he wants to do something. He sees the world the way a D&D player does. "Wow, that's sure an impressive army. You know, hypothetically, a single Great Cleave could take out EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM."

Xykon's chaotic and lazy because he's supremely confident. He's supremely confident because when push comes to shove he still is ruthless, efficient, and (a little bit) foresighted.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Gally posted:

Well the latest erfworld takes the strip to all new levels of creepy. :gonk:

I keep on wanting to like Erfworld, for god knows what reason.

And then this happens.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
I always thought open fire was what you said to archers?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

bgaesop posted:

I'd actually closed this tab before what you said fully hit me. I opened a new tab, opened the thread back up, and clicked the link to confirm what you said.

This is one of the shittiest comics of all time. Why do you people read this?

There are D&D comics, there are D&D derivative comics, there are FPS-derivative comics, but to my knowledge there is exactly one strategy-derivative comic.

The world's interesting enough that I can forgive the story being told in it.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Belkar is currently resting at a mere 500 nazipower?

This cannot stand, gentlemen. This cannot stand.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

gothfae posted:

Well, we _was_ told to go to bed and pretend he was hamster and get some sleep.

...and yet, I remain utterly horrified.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Then Leroy says there's something you should know. Not everybody has a place to go, and home is just a place to hang your head.
And dream up things to do in Denver when you're dead.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
As it was written:

awwwww.... :sympathy:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
I find myself liking the dynamic where Stanley's not quite the complete evil, incompetent rear end in a top hat that we thought he was, I've always been a sucker for strategy games, and stale memes can still get a chuckle out of me every once in a while.
Plus, the guy earned a great deal of credit from me when the sound of Parson being summoned was a lightning-y "PLOT"

...then, of course, came doll-people bondage/seduction.

If I see Erfworld's updated, I read it, and don't tend to hate it. It's just kind of there, in the same way that OOTS strips like the one before this one are just kind of there- not particularly good, not particularly bad, just there.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

bgaesop posted:

In my campaign there are no half-orcs because the different races physically can't breed with each other, but there are good orcs that the PCs can play as so perhaps the solution is to be more open-minded in your fantasy gaming???

In my campaign half-orcs do exist, but they're more accurately defined as part-orcs.

There's a lot of barbarian tribes in the southern marshes, and your average peace settlement between them will involve a daughter or two being exchanged, and there's your occasional Romeo and Juliet moment, and there's still the occasional bit of unpleasantness, all resulting in a sizeable minority of part-orcs, several of which are now second or third generation mixes. Hell, there's even one or two part-orc-part-elves as NPCs.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 11, 2008

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

seaborgium posted:

That "fleeting dominance in a mortal coil" sounds interesting. There are good elven liches, aren't there?

Yeah, baelnorns or whatever. 'Course half of them end up turning evil/insane, but hey, such are the consequences of becoming a mockery of life for whom mere mortal concerns are increasingly difficult to care about compared to the mystical weave that sustains their super-awesome goody-goody immortality.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Given some of the other stuff on GITP, there being serious consequences for killing a youngish black dragon makes sense. If you look under his D&D stuff, there's a black dragon assassin; a black dragon who learned that hey, other dragons will pay him big-time to kill the adventurers that killed their kin! And adventurers have all these cool magic items, usually! And none of them anticipate there being a horrible mass of black acidic ravenous death under their bed at night!

It makes me a terrible person but I really like the latest Erfworld.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
The closest to a decent Chaotic Neutral archetype would be Jack Sparrow of Pirates of the Caribbean fame. Really self-involved, there's nothing -personal- about it but he'll sell you up the river for a nickel and will be surprised when after you get out from whatever terrible situation he put you in you've still got a grudge against him.

Chaotic Neutral is a very hard alignment to play as anything that is not an utter jackass. Incidentally, this is why any time somebody says that their character is chaotic neutral you take a very hard look at their character sheet so you know exactly how to grudgekill them when they start getting disruptive.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Beg to differ.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lord Commissar posted:

I'm giving up on "that other comic". I can't even follow what the gently caress is going on anymore.

I just want more frequent updates for OotS.

Also, sorry to everyone who thought there was a new update because I bumped the thread. Now quote me and join in.

in brief: after negotiations failed, turnamancer Vanna White ended Team Evil's turn before they were done moving, making it the turn of Team Good Guys while Team Evil is split into two groups that can be taken the gently caress apart. Then Queen Unfeasiblylargesword said that she wasn't lying with the negotiations, if anyone wanted to switch sides to avoid the impending shitstorm she was cool with that, and then Jack told Jill 'yeah no' despite kinda wanting to.

meanwhile OOTS has been at 'Once Side-Crap Dealt With, Roy+Co/Xykon Will Go To Girard's Gate' for something like two or three months now with no sign of any impending change in side-crap.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Donraj posted:

Halflings have a bonus at throwing stones, and they're generally described as being deadly shots with them.

I wonder if Burlew plays ADOM?

Also there's a prestige class hosted on his site that's the Halfling Rock-Skipper. Basically you get more bonuses to throwing/shooting rocks and also get social bonuses with other halflings. Major bonuses to those of the interested sex as well.

Yes, it is one of the countless kinda cool yet mechanically meh-at-best prestige classes, notable only for the fact that this one was fanmade, as opposed to being a WotC sub-par prestige class (of which there were millions.) Also on the same site is the word-lich, who is like a regular lich only his phylactery is a book which he keeps updated. Also he can edit himself via changing the wording of the book. Also he doesn't count as undead for purposes of turning/smiting/etc. This is far more common: the Utterly Busted Fanmade Prestige Class.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Remember, kiddies: if, like the overwhelming majority of characters, you are level one, a common housecat can and will end your life.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Did a 3.X spell-caster kill your childhood dog or something?

Have you ever played a game of 3.X that made it past level ten?
With any spellcaster who came even -remotely- close to knowing what he was doing?

For those of you who have not: You know how there's that segment of the strip where V decides 'gently caress this poo poo I'm going to solve all our problems myself?' This is less a dramatic deal with the devil and more exactly what any given 3.X spellcaster can do past that point, and it requires either DM fiat or making the Big Bad a more powerful spellcaster to make it not succeed.

Meanwhile, the fighter might have finally made it up to three attacks a round. Yaaaaaay.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Don lluvia posted:

I've never played DnD but you people really make it sound terrible. Also, can a wizard normally just choose any spell he wants? Because it seems like V has to research/buy any that it wants, which would explain why he is sub-optimal.

D&D is an interesting hobby that coincidentally is full of the Worst People.

There's actually an interesting reason behind why wizards were overpowered as nuts until 4E. Back in the Dawn of D&D, there were a bunch of nerds playing a wargame. And in this wargame, there were your three basic types of unit: archer formations, melee formations, and artillery. Archer formations contained tens of dudes. Melee formations contained tens of dudes. Artillery consisted of one fragile wizard. Pretty basic rock-paper-scissors balance: wizard beats massed melee beats massed archers beats wizard.

So, when some nerd said 'hey what if instead of making our own versions of Helm's Deep we made our own versions of the trip through the Mines of Moria' they more or less took the rules to their nerdy wargame and simplified them down to being a single dude from these formations.

So when you understand that wizards were from the very beginning designed to be dealing with entire formations of dudes instead of just the one or two of them, you have an appreciation for why they were so consistently busted. The ground level assumption was 'the wizard is tremendously more powerful than any other single character can be' and they worked from there.

(in 4E they're still best designed for dealing with massive hordes of dudes, it's just that they aren't quite as good at butchering/trivializing single targets anymore, and most of their campaign-destroying spells have been politely told to piss off. The butchering is now the forte of the ranger and rogue, while the trivializing is the forte of the big guys.)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 30, 2011

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

TremendousMajestic posted:

Between the date of the comic, the writing, the concept, the art, and the context in which it was referenced, this is one of the most powerfully nerdy hyperlinks I've seen in ages, and I unironically salute you sir or madam.

Schlock Mercenary fascinates me mostly because you watch a guy go from having the drawing skills of a twelve-year-old to actually having his own cohesive style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Factor_VIII posted:

Save or die effects weren't that good in 3E anyway in my opinion. Most were death effects, which meant that constructs and undead were immune to them, and other creatures could become immune to them with the Death Ward spell which was only a level 4 spell. And boss monsters typically had high saves anyway and if a susceptible creature saved, it suffered little to no damage.

Yeah, save-or-dies were nothing compared to the vast array of 'save or become completely useless for the rest of the fight's. (save or suck for convenience.)

It starts at level 1 with sleep, and they get worse from there.