Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Hi thread. My 03 Camry XLE broke down last weekend, I wasn't driving but I'll summarize as best as I can. Exited highway after ten minute drive and noticed a vibration, then an odd smell through cabin vent, maybe rubber. Shortly thereafter, smoke (not very dark looking but hard to tell) appeared from right side of hood. Pulled over immediately, but when doing so had little to no power from the accelerator. Left the car to cool and several hours later the engine did not turn over. Everything happened within a half mile.

The mechanic whom I trust just called and confirmed it needs a head gasket replacement and timing chain motor. He quoted $1700 plus $500 more if the head itself is cracked. More importantly, his shop doesn't have the manpower to do it and he recommended taking it to a Toyota dealer which will undoubtedly cost more.

The car has 155,000 miles and hasn't had many issues in my three years of ownership, only a new catalytic converter one year ago. I know it needs a forward oxygen sensor, and I have two brand new tires and two average tires. There is some minor denting and rust on front wheel well which i do not believe would be awful to repair. Edmund's tmv suggests it's worth $3300 ignoring the recent problem, kbb says $4799. I live in a high col area, which was included in both estimates.

Haven't called dealers yet to get quotes, but is this car worth repairing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

some texas redneck posted:

It's worth repairing, but not at dealer rates. Also, tell whoever was driving to pay more attention to the temp gauge - head gaskets very rarely fail without some form of overheating involved, and they would have noticed a pretty decent loss in power long before it got to the point of dying. More than likely a hose failed and dumped all the coolant - usually you get a ton of steam from under the hood when it happens, but at highway speeds it likely just went under the car (but the smell of coolant should have come in through the vents unless the climate control was on recirculate).

I'd consider $1700 to be rather high for a head gasket job on a 4 cylinder, but at the same time, if it got hot enough to seize, there's a reasonable chance the head will need work, and the possibility that the bottom end of the engine (everything below the head) may need work too. At $1700, you could spend a little bit more and get a used engine dropped in. If it's the V6 model, then that's ... a little high, but reasonable. You didn't mention which engine, so I'm assuming it's the 4 cylinder.

Also, there is no "timing chain motor". That engine does have a timing chain, but it's driven by the engine itself (the chain connects the camshafts to the crankshaft). It's good practice to replace the tensioner for it while it's apart, and with the miles it has, it won't hurt to replace the chain itself (especially after being overheated so badly) - it's likely stretched a bit over the years. A lot of engines run the water pump off of the timing belt or timing chain (your engine has a chain) - I don't know if your engine runs the pump from the chain, but if it does, it's also good practice to replace the water pump anytime you touch the timing chain. It's more of a "it's an extra 30 minutes of labor to do it while it's already apart, versus 8 hours of labor if it fails later" things that adds a (relatively speaking) small amount to the bill.

If it were my car, I'd get it fixed, replace all of the cooling system hoses, and not let anyone drive it until you tell them how important the temperature gauge is. Obviously, figure out why it overheated to begin with. Likely a split hose, but it could also have been a cracked radiator. A sudden failure would probably be a hose, unless you've been smelling coolant for awhile.

Thanks for the reply. It is the 4-cylinder model. If it helps put things in perspective, the mechanic estimated 12 hrs at $100/hr which is not an unreasonable labor rate for this area. I will call other independent shops in the area to get quotes.

I was in the car when this happened, the temperature gauge never spiked. It was a very cold day, the gauge was on C at first and when we pulled over (with smoke) it was still below half. I can't blame the driver on this one, it all happened very quickly and the smoke was the first indication that something was really wrong. The smell came into the cabin maybe 15 or 20 seconds before the smoke appeared.

Regarding the timing chain motor, those were the exact words out of his mouth. I did not ask for any clarification because it's obviously beyond my expertise. I will try to clarify when I talk to the other shops.

antiga fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 6, 2015

• Locked thread