Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
james
Dec 2, 2002
What are the drawbacks of 'stretching' a tire over a wheel?

In case that's unclear, I want to replace a tire with one that's narrower than the one I'm removing. It would be nice if the the sidewalls leaned 15 degrees or more towards the center of the wheel. This is not for appearance, it's to correct a rubbing problem on a poorly installed widebody kit. For the time being, I don't want to buy new wheels to correct the problem, but the tires are in a bad way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

james
Dec 2, 2002

Pitch posted:

Obviously you'll have less grip than the correct size tire. You'll also have to find a place both willing and able to mount it, because it's more difficult to do right than a normal tire. Depending on how much it's stretched, there's also a chance that the tire will de-bead under stressful conditions like hard turns or bumps.

Is there a good rule of thumb for what a safe reduction is? The tire is a 315/35/17 and that seems to be a very good match for the wheel. I need to look at the sidewall height, but I think 285 would do what I want.

If I recall correctly, the wheel is 13" wide.

Do you have any suggestions? Or does that seem reasonable?

• Locked thread